Diablo® III

Deckard Cain was the last living Horadrim

Blizzard Employee
09/11/2013 04:16 PMPosted by Abolist
It would be kinda cool if you put the lore of the game IN THE GAME.
It's in there, and you can totally enjoy Reaper of Souls without having read the book. :)

Keep in mind that much of the basic lore discussion here surrounds a book that hasn't been released yet, as well as an expansion that hasn't been released yet, so you're due to find out more by playing the game once it's out, and/or by reading the book (if that's your thing).
Reply Quote

Why is it that Tyrael didn't think of destroying the Black Soulstone on the Hell Forge?
I'm sure he considered a lot of options, but the thing is, because the Black Soulstone is different than the soulstones of the past (like Mephisto's), and because it's a man-made construct, Tyrael wasn't sure what would happen if he tried to destroy it. Who knows what might happen if he attempted to do so? No one knows and such an attempt could prove to be catastrophic.

Therefore, he felt that the best and safest course of action was to keep the Great Evils locked within the Black Soulstone, and then hide it away from the influence of both angels and demons.

Now there are other dimensions that angels and demons created with the Worldstone, certainly. They're not really the sorts of places you'd want to go on vacation, though. Most of them are rather sad, empty places, and they are still the realms of the angelic or demonic faction that created that particular dimension.

The only truly neutral dimensions are Sanctuary and Pandemonium, but Pandemonium still has demons and angels in it, and Tyrael's mortal allies (the new Horadrim) wouldn't have been able to help him hide or guard the Black Soulstone in Pandemonium. As such, Tyrael believed that hiding it on Sanctuary was the best course of action out of the limited options available to him.

Ah, so when Tyrael says in the trailer, "I can't destroy it...," he means "it's not safe to destroy it because something bad might happen as a result." So, he chose the best option available to him.

Thanks for the insightful answer, Vaeflare :).
Reply Quote
Didn't anyone notice that in the RoS trailer, during the sketched animation near the beginning where it shows the black stone on the ground and the angels are surrounding it. I counted 4 angels. And since tyrael is mortal, that makes me think that the one high up above them all could be malthael.
Reply Quote
View profile
Forget the story D3 have no story
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
09/11/2013 06:19 PMPosted by Razboss
Didn't anyone notice that in the RoS trailer, during the sketched animation near the beginning where it shows the black stone on the ground and the angels are surrounding it. I counted 4 angels. And since tyrael is mortal, that makes me think that the one high up above them all could be malthael.
Malthael isn't seen in that particular scene, but that's Itherael on the left and Imperius on the right. :)
Reply Quote
View profile
09/11/2013 06:56 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Malthael isn't seen in that particular scene, but that's Itherael on the left and Imperius on the right. :)

I have to watch it again now haha I didn't think about that.
Reply Quote
09/11/2013 02:08 PMPosted by Mith
If there's anything to be learned, it's that hiding things in Sanctuary doesn't work. Hide Diablo's Soulstone: corrupt Lazarus and Leoric and destroy Tristram, allowing Diablo to effectively release himself

Actually it was Mephisto who corrupted Lazarus and thus sent him to Tristram to free Diablo. It all comes back to Mephisto's corruption of Kurast being the progenitor event that put everything into motion.

09/11/2013 02:08 PMPosted by Mith
That's because the lore was retconned to have the Black Soulstone suck up their souls when the original soulstones were destroyed.

It wasn't necessarily reconnected in the traditional sense as it's something that happened outside of our knowledge. There was no way of knowing if the souls were in fact banished or if they were still present, prepped to make their way to the Black Soulstone. Nothing explicitly implies the former.
Edited by DamienJohn#1321 on 9/11/2013 7:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
he should have hid it in whimsyshire no one ever goes there
Reply Quote
08/27/2013 02:23 PMPosted by Keltest
Didn't the Crusader's bio say he was a Zakarum? Need to double check that now...

Yes. Its my understanding that the Crusaders are the Elite paladins.

I'm also guessing that the Crusader was trained by the D2 paladin or the D2 Paladin is involved with the Crusaders in some fashion like he created them/leads them.

Either way, I'm thinking the D2 paladin has something to do with the Crusader and we'll probably also find out what happened to the other D2 heroes that we haven't seen or heard from yet.
Reply Quote
He should have just hid it behind a gate secured with a comically-oversized lock. Not even the Nephalem can get through one of those!
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
08/27/2013 02:23 PMPosted by Keltest
Didn't the Crusader's bio say he was a Zakarum? Need to double check that now...

Historically, the Crusader and the Paladin share the same origins, yes, but there's more than that.

The Paladins headed west under the order formed by Rakkis seeking conquest, but the Crusaders headed east on a mission to find a way to cleanse the corruption blighting their Zakarum faith.

These Crusaders were an wholly different breed of holy warrior. They're more edgy, and much more zealots of their faith. On the whole, they are a group of men and women chosen not only for their prowess and cunning on the battlefield, but also for their uncompromising and unyielding dedication to the Light.
Reply Quote
Yes, but looks like auriel is next to ithereal, and high above them flying is another angel who is in question
Reply Quote
09/11/2013 07:59 PMPosted by Razboss
Yes, but looks like auriel is next to ithereal, and high above them flying is another angel who is in question

That makes no sense, Razboss. None of the Angels in that static picture are Malthael.
Reply Quote
09/11/2013 06:56 PMPosted by Vaeflare

Woah Woah, now I'm confused. So, the FBI knew the kidnapper was just an undercover agent the whole time ? And what ever happened to the parents, did they make it back in time ?
Reply Quote
Ok so who are they? And don't say some random angels hanging out with half of the council sitting around the black soulstone... how else would malthael know where the soulstone is? He came back just in time to see where it would go.. and its all speculation anyways, so try not to ruin the fun
Reply Quote
09/11/2013 07:41 PMPosted by Vaeflare

Historically, the Crusader and the Paladin share the same origins, yes, but there's more than that.

The Paladins headed west under the order formed by Rakkis seeking conquest, but the Crusaders headed east on a mission to find a way to cleanse the corruption blighting their Zakarum faith.

These Crusaders were an wholly different breed of holy warrior. They're more edgy, and much more zealots of their faith. On the whole, they are a group of men and women chosen not only for their prowess and cunning on the battlefield, but also for their uncompromising and unyielding dedication to the Light.

The original paladins turned away from the leadership of the Zakarum during a time akin to the Spanish Inquisition because they thought the they should be helping the innocent and not persecuting them. Would it be fair to say this is around the same time the Crusaders broke off and headed back East?
Reply Quote
09/11/2013 08:20 PMPosted by Razboss
Ok so who are they? And don't say some random angels hanging out with half of the council sitting around the black soulstone... how else would malthael know where the soulstone is? He came back just in time to see where it would go.. and its all speculation anyways, so try not to ruin the fun

Why can't they be random angels? The High Heavens isn't only inhabited by the Angiris Council. In fact, the vast, vast majority of Angels are not arch-angels. So they probably are just regular angels.

As for how Malthael knew where the Black Soulstone was, we don't know yet. We'll most likely find that out with the release of RoS.
Reply Quote
Ahhh.... regardless whoever, whatever, angel or demons, all being trolled hard by the random God.

Example: Crusader killed an elite pack, got a drop of epic legendary shield: Ivory Tower with no cric chance.

GG.
Reply Quote
Ok so if they are random angels, why can't they be auriel next to ithereal, and malthael is above them all watching from a distance? Either way... perspective. Until vaelflare pops back and says they are random angels, which I'm sure is prolly the case. But I just always thought it weird that 4 angels were depicted in that scene
Reply Quote
09/11/2013 07:41 PMPosted by Vaeflare

Yea.. I can see the connection and also the differences. Both are of the same overall faith/leadership. But the Crusader has more defensive and heavy armor capabilities.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]