Diablo® III

Deckard Cain was the last living Horadrim

After aiding in the battle against the new Prime Evil, i'd assume Tyrael would be able to call in a few recruits. And before you pull the 'but only the nephalem was at the battle', remember that there's also Bastion's Keep, where you were congratulated by every other person you saw.

Plus, it's easy seeing these new Horadrim guys aren't exactly masters at combat. They barely last 7 seconds.
To be fair, the Horadrim shown in the [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/reaper-of-souls/"]Reaper of Souls cinematic trailer[/url] were brave enough to stand against Death himself, and at least one got away in time to carry out Tyrael's message.

Why doesn't Tyreal keep the stone in the heaven? He doesn't want evil to be around the High Heavens but allow them to stay on Sanctuary? Well, that's kind of bias, given that he's already the mortal. He should stand for man instead of angels. Next, I don't know why he always chooses Sanctuary to hide things. It's very unsafe place. He's wisdom, he should know that right? Not to say, stealing and hiding the stone without the help of the Nephalem who defeated the Prime Evil is another mistake.
Edited by Angelist#1921 on 9/11/2013 11:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/27/2013 01:52 PMPosted by Matius
We don't know how much time has passed since the end of D3. Tyrael could have enough time to rebuild the order. As far as hiding the stone, it's possibly the best way to keep Demon Lords at bay, unfortunately (again) it didn't work out well, Malthael probably spied on him and found about the location.

I think we can safely presume that it has only been a few years. Tyrael hasnt aged significantly and he tells one of the horadrim to find the nephalem in the trailer, which indicates that our main protagonist, the hero you play, is very much still alive and kicking !@#. Presumably less then 10 years has passed since the black soulstone was found after it fell from the high heavens, and tyrael has formed a new horadrim order to hide the soulstone.
Reply Quote
09/11/2013 07:41 PMPosted by Vaeflare

Yes. Its my understanding that the Crusaders are the Elite paladins.
Historically, the Crusader and the Paladin share the same origins, yes, but there's more than that.

The Paladins headed west under the order formed by Rakkis seeking conquest, but the Crusaders headed east on a mission to find a way to cleanse the corruption blighting their Zakarum faith.

These Crusaders were an wholly different breed of holy warrior. They're more edgy, and much more zealots of their faith. On the whole, they are a group of men and women chosen not only for their prowess and cunning on the battlefield, but also for their uncompromising and unyielding dedication to the Light.

Translation : We wanted to bring back the paladin class, but monks already had useful auras, and we didn't want to have classes stepping on each others toes. So we made paladins with out auras, we gave them some crappy skills, and useless runes which you most likely won't use 90% of the time, and called them crusaders.

So now we're going to have a crappy version of the paladin, who had their own lore recently made up by 5th graders, but hey trust us guys these crusaders are much more edgy and bad !@#.....
Reply Quote
09/11/2013 06:59 PMPosted by DamienJohn
That's because the lore was retconned to have the Black Soulstone suck up their souls when the original soulstones were destroyed.

It wasn't necessarily reconnected in the traditional sense as it's something that happened outside of our knowledge. There was no way of knowing if the souls were in fact banished or if they were still present, prepped to make their way to the Black Soulstone. Nothing explicitly implies the former.

From the Book of Cain:

The firsthand accounts of the champions tell us that when both Mephisto's and Diablo's soulstones were shattered, a similar fate befell the Primes. A scream such as no human being had ever heard rent the air, followed by a black and intangible nothingness opening before the heroes. They averted their eyes as the wailing sous of Diablo and Mephisto were swallowed by the yawning darkness.

Upon hearing this, I remembered the writings of my ancestor Jered Cain, who reported a theory held by Zoltun Kulle: that the spirits of angels and demons could be banished to a place beyond even Heaven and Hell -- a place he called the Abyss. When I think back on the champions and their experience at the Hellforge, I know in my bones that Diablo and Mephisto were cast somewhere that would make even them feel fear.

[...]

The Worldstone's destruction was catastrophic. Baal's body was obliterated, and his spirit, I have come to believe, was flung into the Abyss, just like those of the other Primes.
Reply Quote
In the far distant future after the crusaders story have been told. We have come to discover diablo had a sister named Fuzzy and she was a dazzle her story has yet to be told. Also the crusaders leader is thought to be tyreals sister Wuzzy!!!!!! OMG!!!!! THE END
Reply Quote
Seriously? This thread is what's getting 90% of recent Blue responses?

I play with my volume off and ESC through the cinematics. I may be alone in this, but I suspect that a whole bunch of serious, persistent players do the same - or at least are otherwise concerned far more with game mechanics.

Don't the hundreds of threads related to those game mechanics and patch-related issues deserve more Community Manager attention than the single one I've ever seen in General Discussion related to the (nearly unanimously ignored) story line which gets more than 2 or three responses?
Reply Quote
@Xeju to many of us, plot and storyline are an important part of games.
Reply Quote
09/12/2013 01:53 AMPosted by Matius
@Xeju to many of us, plot and storyline are an important part of games.

It was important to me too, the first two or three times through it. Now it's just jabber.

I can't believe that every single blue post in the last 24 hours (with the exception of one -disabusing someone of the idea Loot 2.0 will be out next Tuesday), has been in this thread.
Reply Quote
Perhaps you are right, I guess it's easier for CM's to talk about the wrapping of the game than the mechanics as those are changing constantly. Releasing info that will change sometime in the future is problematic.

I actually understand them a bit, they don't want to repeat the situation with Jay Wilson, with all those empty promises. But they should give something more for fans that prefer to hear about the game mechanics.
Reply Quote
Perhaps you are right, I guess it's easier for CM's to talk about the wrapping of the game than the mechanics as those are changing constantly. Releasing info that will change sometime in the future is problematic.

I actually understand them a bit, they don't want to repeat the situation with Jay Wilson, with all those empty promises. But they should give something more for fans that prefer to hear about the game mechanics.

Thank you!

I'm genuinely gratified to see that there are at least some forum posters who pay attention and give reasonable thought to the arguments of those with differing opinions.

I'd love to see more depth and "replayability" (for lack of a better word) in the story line. But that's really not at the top of my wishlist. So in the meantime, I'd rather see more discussion of the things which do matter to me.

However, as you say, CM's have so much trepidation about either revealing something they shouldn't or making a statement which later proves to be untrue, that they don't comment on anything of concern to so many players,
Reply Quote
The Flawed Stone
Available at the start of the Quest: The Siege of Bastion's Keep (Act III)
Unlocked after Kulle's Black Soulstone

Tyrael: The Black Soulstone was created to be an improvement over the original three. They were crafted to contain single demons, but Kulle intended his to hold many.

But the Black Soulstone is flawed and cannot contain that many demons for long. We must capture Azmodan within it and shatter it... lest all these Evils be reborn.

Don't know if it was brought up before, but how did Tyrael go from 'we must shatter it' to 'we must lock it away in a vault'?
Reply Quote

Translation : We wanted to bring back the paladin class, but monks already had useful auras, and we didn't want to have classes stepping on each others toes. So we made paladins with out auras, we gave them some crappy skills, and useless runes which you most likely won't use 90% of the time, and called them crusaders.

So now we're going to have a crappy version of the paladin, who had their own lore recently made up by 5th graders, but hey trust us guys these crusaders are much more edgy and bad !@#.....

Network Executive Lady: We at the network want a dog with attitude. He's edgy, he's "in your face." You've heard the expression, "let's get busy"? Well, this is a dog who gets "biz-zay!" Consistently and thoroughly.
Krusty: So he's proactive, huh?

Network Executive Lady: Oh, God, yes. We're talking about a totally outrageous paradigm.

Writer: Excuse me, but "proactive" and "paradigm"? Aren't these just buzzwords that dumb people use to sound important? Not that I'm accusing you of anything like that. [pause] I'm fired, aren't I?

Roger Myers Jr.: Oh, yes.
Edited by Midknight#6804 on 9/12/2013 4:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The nephalem is an horadrim ?
Reply Quote
Can somebody lorewise explain some things to me.

I am going to have a hard time verbalizing this since I don't really comprehend much of anything around soulstone lore.

Why did we go to so much efforts to destroy the soulstone shards in Diablo 2?
Tyrael had us doing it. He believed they were being destroyed.
Baal believed it because he went after the soulstone in the opening cinematic of the expansion for D2.

So everybody, both angels and Demons, believes that when a demon (or angel?) is trapped in a soulstone, that breaking the stone destroys them forever (or banishes them?)

Now the blacksoulstone was supposed to be secretly absorbing these stones. It was hidden from both angels and demons. I can accept that. But based on the allegedly well founded assumption of both angels and demons stated earlier. WHY then is nobody talking about smashing the blacks soulstone on the anvil? There wont be another black soul stone to absorb the souls, so wont they be banished/destroyed?

Why hide it? And if the souls of all the prime evils was in the stone, what was the significance of destroying diablo (with all 7 inside him) if they all just whisk right back into the stone again?
Reply Quote
IT MAKES NO SENSE ITS FANTASY AND THIRD GAME IS EXCEPTIONALLY BAD WRITTEN.

LETS CATCH EVIL INTO SOULSTONE THAT WE DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH: SOUNDS LEI LEGIT METZEN HIGH.
Reply Quote
Could it be Hadriel? That guy sounded so cool in D2, what an epic moment it was talking to him. And it wasn't in your face all the time that I'd find myself clicking on him to get the dialog well into my 1000's of hours playing :)

that said, If he comes back, I hope his dialog doesn't get fisher-priced!
Reply Quote
09/11/2013 03:31 PMPosted by Matius
Well Tyrael didn't have a good option for the Black Soulstone. Since it's a man-made construct, he didn't know if he could destroy it, so he opted to hide it somewhere far away from both angels and demons.

Unfortunately, it didn't stay hidden for long.

Tyrael wanted good but it came out as always :)

But to be serious, it won't probably be explained in the game so you could tell us now Vaeflare, How did Malthael found the hiding location? does he have allied Angels that are helping him or was he in disguise while spying on Tyrael?

Tyrael sent out a Tweet about finally being done hiding the Black Soulstone, but little did he know the settings on his Twitter were set to show his location. Major mistake on his part.
Reply Quote
Can somebody lorewise explain some things to me.

I am going to have a hard time verbalizing this since I don't really comprehend much of anything around soulstone lore.

Why did we go to so much efforts to destroy the soulstone shards in Diablo 2?
Tyrael had us doing it. He believed they were being destroyed.
Baal believed it because he went after the soulstone in the opening cinematic of the expansion for D2.

Because the soulstones had been corrupted - meaning the Prime evils were able to harness them as tools to increase their influence over men.

09/12/2013 08:17 AMPosted by Wootah
So everybody, both angels and Demons, believes that when a demon (or angel?) is trapped in a soulstone, that breaking the stone destroys them forever (or banishes them?)

It is believed that there is a realm other than the High Heavens and Burning Hells. It's referred to as the "Abyss." Virtually nothing is known about it by anyone, and even the lords of hell fear it. When Diablo and Mephisto's corrupted soulstones were destroyed, their souls were banished to the abyss. It is also believed that when the Worldstone exploded, Baal's soul was banished to the abyss.

Now the blacksoulstone was supposed to be secretly absorbing these stones. It was hidden from both angels and demons. I can accept that. But based on the allegedly well founded assumption of both angels and demons stated earlier. WHY then is nobody talking about smashing the blacks soulstone on the anvil? There wont be another black soul stone to absorb the souls, so wont they be banished/destroyed?

I asked exactly this same question and Vaeflare answered me:

Why is it that Tyrael didn't think of destroying the Black Soulstone on the Hell Forge?
I'm sure he considered a lot of options, but the thing is, because the Black Soulstone is different than the soulstones of the past (like Mephisto's), and because it's a man-made construct, Tyrael wasn't sure what would happen if he tried to destroy it. Who knows what might happen if he attempted to do so? No one knows and such an attempt could prove to be catastrophic.

Therefore, he felt that the best and safest course of action was to keep the Great Evils locked within the Black Soulstone, and then hide it away from the influence of both angels and demons.

Now there are other dimensions that angels and demons created with the Worldstone, certainly. They're not really the sorts of places you'd want to go on vacation, though. Most of them are rather sad, empty places, and they are still the realms of the angelic or demonic faction that created that particular dimension.

The only truly neutral dimensions are Sanctuary and Pandemonium, but Pandemonium still has demons and angels in it, and Tyrael's mortal allies (the new Horadrim) wouldn't have been able to help him hide or guard the Black Soulstone in Pandemonium. As such, Tyrael believed that hiding it on Sanctuary was the best course of action out of the limited options available to him.

Why hide it? And if the souls of all the prime evils was in the stone, what was the significance of destroying diablo (with all 7 inside him) if they all just whisk right back into the stone again?

I don't understand the question. Can you explain it again?
Edited by Wesker#1530 on 9/12/2013 11:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The Flawed Stone
Available at the start of the Quest: The Siege of Bastion's Keep (Act III)
Unlocked after Kulle's Black Soulstone

Tyrael: The Black Soulstone was created to be an improvement over the original three. They were crafted to contain single demons, but Kulle intended his to hold many.

But the Black Soulstone is flawed and cannot contain that many demons for long. We must capture Azmodan within it and shatter it... lest all these Evils be reborn.

Don't know if it was brought up before, but how did Tyrael go from 'we must shatter it' to 'we must lock it away in a vault'?

Good question. It seems like an oversight on the part of the writers.
Reply Quote
09/11/2013 07:11 PMPosted by LuckyTuck
he should have hid it in whimsyshire no one ever goes there

^ HAHAHAHA nice
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]