Diablo® III

Help me improve my archon wizard please

Here is the link to my wizard http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/xLilypadx-1197/hero/7442736
I have changed from the CM wizard build to the Archon wizard build but I was really hoping my dps would be over 300k can someone explain what I'm doing wrong on gear? thank you ahead of time.

///

please check my last post in thread for any upgrades I have already done, ty :)
Edited by xLilypadx#1197 on 8/29/2013 10:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Start by getting yourself a LS sword with CD and OS if you can.

And try to change your helm to Mempo (even if you can't afford CC, its still better than SC for Archon)

Just those changes may be enough to break 300k. Though you may want to switch your Pox to one with CC to make up for the loss on the helm. (I don't know your budget)
Reply Quote
Your EHP is pretty high, you can afford to lose some. I run MP10 with 550k EHP, fully buffed, which is just about enough to tank a bull charge. Switch to an Inna's Temperance with Int/Vit roll.

Chantodo set is great for CM/WW, but the lack of black damage cripples it for Archon builds. Switch to a black weapon. I run with Blood Magic as my only sustain, but I think most people use Force Weapon + LS instead, or even both. Up to you. For your source, Triumvirate is the only real option, for the 15-18% elemental damage bonus.

The same is true for Storm Crow. I personally like Andy's at lower budgets, look for near perfect Int + fire damage rolls, with a socket for an Amethyst. Shouldn't cost more than 50m. This will boost your EHP and DPS both. If you're willing to spend 150m+ or more, Mempo with CC is BiS.

And finally, switch from Spectral Blade to Living Lightning, to reset your Archon cooldown in seconds.
Edited by mzy#1101 on 8/28/2013 6:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thank you everyone for the help, I have decided to build it from scratch, I just finished buying everything from the auction house, and now my dps isn't even 200k haha, what in the world did I do wrong? here is the link for my new archon wizard, it's on my paragon 65 wizard http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/xLilypadx-1197/hero/7442736 did I just waste 278 million gold? O_O
Reply Quote
08/29/2013 09:09 AMPosted by xLilypadx
Thank you everyone for the help, I have decided to build it from scratch, I just finished buying everything from the auction house, and now my dps isn't even 200k haha, what in the world did I do wrong? here is the link for my new archon wizard, it's on my paragon 65 wizard http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/xLilypadx-1197/hero/7442736 did I just waste 278 million gold? O_O

You're missing crucial CC on your helm. Switch the vit gems out for int as you have plently of life. And also, switch your red gem out for a green in your axe. As well as the hellfire for a dps rare ring.
Reply Quote
That hellfire ring is pretty solid as far as hellfire rings go. For 278M it looks pretty good to me as long as you get a better helm and put an emerald in your weapon as Moridin said. Your triumvirate's damage range is quite weak and should be easily upgradeable for less than 50M, even if you must have vit on it. (But I wouldn't bother wasting an affix on a roll as low as 33)

You have a very health amount of vit as it is, you don't need amethysts in your pants.
Reply Quote
I guess I was told wrong from a certain twitch stream I watch, the guy was saying to put a ruby in the weapon for the more average damage to boost the elemental damage of the other items, I will now take the ruby out and put the emerald, I will also change the gems in my pants to topaz, I was just putting them in for the extra life since I feel my resistance is too low, my goal is to safely and smoothly paragon level/farm in mp8 as is right now I can not do so, I am dying very frequently, so i'm doing mp6, I was really hoping my dps would be higher though, as for the helm I'm using, I was also told to get 8% light with 400+ loh and make sure the elite is 4 not 3 so that's what I did, I got the socket for the exp gem, I could not find a cc/socket stormcrow on the auction house, and I was thinking if I do get a mempo I would lose that 8% light damage, guess i'm still a little confused on this build, I still have around 460 million to spend/upgrade items, so any help would be appreciated :)
Lily.
edit: / / I just put the topaz in the pants and the emerald in the axe and my unbuffed dps is showing 208k now, so that makes me happy :) thank you all for suggesting that, now my goal is to make that dps higher, and get some more resis, any suggestions?
Edited by xLilypadx#1197 on 8/29/2013 10:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The issue is that radiant star rubies are underpowered compared to radiant star emeralds. Marquise of both are similar, though in most cases emerald will win unless you have IAS stacked in practically every slot possible.

Storm crows only roll one random property, so you'd have to choose between socket and crit chance. This is why high-end archon wizards don't normally use storm crows. The suggestions for 400+ LoH makes sense for a CM wizard, but for archon, LoH is borderline negligible.

Yes, the lightning damage is a good bonus, but versus a mempo, you're giving up a lot for it, and it will end up losing to a crit mempo in damage anyways. Your resists are okay, but they'd be better with a mempo. I would consider finding one with 3% CC and 190+ int. Your budget is right at the point where crit mempos start making sense.

Nine times out of ten if you're looking for an upgrade as an archon wizard, the place to start is the weapon. Get a sword with intelligence, socket, cd, ls, instead of an axe without int. Try to get a triumvirate with 220-240 average damage or so without sacrificing int or elemental damage, drop the vit if you need to.

If all goes well, you'll likely be sitting in the mid/high 300k range, which should be enough for MP8, but probably a little better off in MP7. Getting archon to function well past MP8 starts becoming exponentially expensive.

Generally armor/resists aren't such a big issue in archon. What causes deaths is dropping out of archon, and that's caused by not having enough DPS for the given MP level.
Reply Quote
The issue is that radiant star rubies are underpowered compared to radiant star emeralds. Marquise of both are similar, though in most cases emerald will win unless you have IAS stacked in practically every slot possible.

Storm crows only roll one random property, so you'd have to choose between socket and crit chance. This is why high-end archon wizards don't normally use storm crows. The suggestions for 400+ LoH makes sense for a CM wizard, but for archon, LoH is borderline negligible.

Yes, the lightning damage is a good bonus, but versus a mempo, you're giving up a lot for it, and it will end up losing to a crit mempo in damage anyways. Your resists are okay, but they'd be better with a mempo. I would consider finding one with 3% CC and 190+ int. Your budget is right at the point where crit mempos start making sense.

Nine times out of ten if you're looking for an upgrade as an archon wizard, the place to start is the weapon. Get a sword with intelligence, socket, cd, ls, instead of an axe without int. Try to get a triumvirate with 220-240 average damage or so without sacrificing int or elemental damage, drop the vit if you need to.

If all goes well, you'll likely be sitting in the mid/high 300k range, which should be enough for MP8, but probably a little better off in MP7. Getting archon to function well past MP8 starts becoming exponentially expensive.

Generally armor/resists aren't such a big issue in archon. What causes deaths is dropping out of archon, and that's caused by not having enough DPS for the given MP level.

Makes me worried now with your post here, I spend 175 million on that axe, I have not yet looked in the auction house, but I'm curious if I can even find what you're suggesting for around the same price, a sword with cd socket ls and int, if I can I will buy it for sure, I will check when I can get back on the game, as for the mempo, I will look into prices for what you're suggesting, 3 crit 190 int if I can buy both the sword and mempo in my budget I will do so without hesitation, thank you for posting this information.
Reply Quote
175M for that axe is okay. I'd probably put around 120-150m on a helm, and then think about upgrading the weapon with what's left.
Reply Quote
I have now upgraded my weapon, source, helmet, crafted better shoulders, and got a rare dps ring, still under 300k dps what on earth do I need to do to get there I have spend a fortune on this character already :(

edit: / / forgot to mention I upgraded my pants also

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/xLilypadx-1197/hero/7442736
Edited by xLilypadx#1197 on 8/29/2013 3:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Your old weapon was better than this one. EF's are a no-no for archon, unless they're of the CD+OS variety, and even those inferior to rares which can roll LS along with it. You should be looking for ~1100 DPS swords with 100+ intelligence, ~55% crit damage and a socket.

Other than that you're looking good.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 8/29/2013 3:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I used EF for a while, and it will work if your budget is limited and you don't want to upgrade again. I'd roll some more gauntlets and try for trifecta stats. Also, I'd get a trifecta rare ring. That should increase your dps by quite a bit. Once you get above 300k dps, upgrades start getting incredibly expensive, so be aware of that.
Reply Quote
I recently reached 300K DPS and 360K EHP Unbuffed and can farm MP9 efficiently.

But Archon Wiz for high MPs is one of the most expensive build I encountered.

My Gears and Gems costs are fast approaching 1.5B.

I shudder to think how much it will cost to get it to MP10 optimal haha.
Reply Quote
I recently reached 300K DPS and 360K EHP Unbuffed and can farm MP9 efficiently.

But Archon Wiz for high MPs is one of the most expensive build I encountered.

My Gears and Gems costs are fast approaching 1.5B.

I shudder to think how much it will cost to get it to MP10 optimal haha

I know how you feel. I can do MP8, and I'm afraid to ask how much it'll cost to get to 10
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]