Diablo® III

The mystic may reroll current stats to 70

Ya I sort of thought the idea would be that you could reroll one or more of the random stats on a legendary (perhaps with an increased cost each roll?)

So I thought that sure, you could take your non-CC mempo and try to roll CC on it, but that in the xpac, there will be helms better, so you probably won't much after the beginning.

Or there will be up to level 70 (73?) mempos in xpac, so your current mempo even with a rerolled cc stat will be just an above average mempo as the int, resist all etc will be much higher on the 70 version and those stats won't be re-rollable (if that's a word.)
Reply Quote
08/29/2013 09:07 AMPosted by BDF
Meh I don't think they should do that..then what's the point in finding lvl 70 weapons?

Way more int/vit/LoH, and being able to use your reroll on a stat other than avg dmg.

08/29/2013 09:18 AMPosted by Jaetch
Meh I don't think they should do that..then what's the point in finding lvl 70 weapons?

This is what I'm hoping will happen:

You can use the mystic to reroll any property on your weapon, including base damage. And like mentioned, the rerolled property can scale to 70, or whatever level your character is. The cost of rerolling can be high (gold-wise, materials, etc.), maybe it can be limited to a certain number enchants per 24 hours, who knows. Now by going through the process of rerolling, you'd inevitably have to farm. While farming, you can potentially find a better item. You may end up just replacing the item you're planning on enchanting and use the new one. Or you can go to the mystic to reroll stats. It gives you options and things to do.

The game is about grinding; whether it's grinding to loot a perfect item, grinding to craft a perfect item, or grinding to enchant a perfect item.
Twitter: @Jaetch

Oooh can you only reroll one affix on a specific item ever? That would make more sense cuz then you could just keep rerolling for a perfect item from a PoS..that's how PoE does though. True about grinding though, crafting is still grinding and it will use materials based on grinding (DE).
Reply Quote
08/29/2013 09:37 AMPosted by MasterJay
Oooh can you only reroll one affix on a specific item ever? That would make more sense cuz then you could just keep rerolling for a perfect item from a PoS..that's how PoE does though. True about grinding though, crafting is still grinding and it will use materials based on grinding (DE).

But if we only got a "one chance re-roll" let's say...it would deter me from re-rolling ANYTHING on my current gear...Like my gloves, let's say I want to bump the AR on them..but I potentially could end up with Poison Resist...and then the item is BoA and CAN'T be re-rolled again? Ewww...
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
08/29/2013 10:07 AMPosted by Melkor

But if we only got a "one chance re-roll" let's say...it would deter me from re-rolling ANYTHING on my current gear...Like my gloves, let's say I want to bump the AR on them..but I potentially could end up with Poison Resist...and then the item is BoA and CAN'T be re-rolled again? Ewww...

As per Lylirra, whether or not we can use the mystic to reroll as many times as we want or only once is also TBD.
Reply Quote
I have a feeling that this isn't about our current level gear but about any gear that is below the max level gear.

We all sometimes see an amazing piece of loot...but its a 'lower level item'. If only the stats were at our level then it would be epic.

Enter the mystic. Turns our level 68 item into something bordering on an epic level 70 item, allowing us to make better use of an item we found and want to keep.
Reply Quote
08/29/2013 11:05 AMPosted by Jaetch
As per Lylirra, whether or not we can use the mystic to reroll as many times as we want or only once is also TBD.

It really shouldn't be a problem continuously re-rolling the same item. Once an item is enhanced by the mystic it becomes account bound right? So the issue of it fueling the rapid expansion of items available on the auction houses can't be an issue. Also this should let everyone Including us casual gamers to get perfect or near perfect gear.

There is one huge drawback from blizzards perspective. All those items that can be made best in slot for each class are no longer available on the RMAH. So time will tell where blizzard's true loyalties lie with the millions of casual gamers they lost between launch and when ROS releases or with the casual gamer who wants to spend 1500$ + to gear their character and quickly advance to end-game.

One thing is for certain unless something very rewarding is within the paragon 2.0 system. Those of us who have continued to play and get better gear are getting the shaft, Lots of people hate an ever moving end-game gear target. That is one of the most cited reasons for quitting WOW. I understand that particular business model works well though, have to wait and see how it turns out.
Reply Quote
One thing is for certain unless something very rewarding is within the paragon 2.0 system. Those of us who have continued to play and get better gear are getting the shaft, Lots of people hate an ever moving end-game gear target. That is one of the most cited reasons for quitting WOW. I understand that particular business model works well though, have to wait and see how it turns out.

I find myself consistently shifting my position on the "ever-moving end-game gear target". Sometimes, I'm just glad there's gonna be so much new stuff to figure out...other times I think, "uch, it took so much work to get here."
Reply Quote
It really shouldn't be a problem continuously re-rolling the same item. Once an item is enhanced by the mystic it becomes account bound right? So the issue of it fueling the rapid expansion of items available on the auction houses can't be an issue. Also this should let everyone Including us casual gamers to get perfect or near perfect gear.

I'm not really a fan of that, because it puts a big damper on upgrading and the item hunt, rather than crafting material hunt.
Reply Quote
frankly, they should allow full rerolling so that perfect gear is no longer a matter of luck , but a constant grind.

they can always tie it in with game play via DE, or via time (ie: how many times you can reroll per week per item), as a gold sink with a (hopefully) gradual cost increase. (ie: from 4-5% cost x, from 5% to 5.5%, costs x^2, from 5.5% to 6% costs x^4 and so forth).
Reply Quote
08/29/2013 09:52 PMPosted by chrisloup
they can always tie it in with game play via DE, or via time (ie: how many times you can reroll per week per item), as a gold sink with a (hopefully) gradual cost increase. (ie: from 4-5% cost x, from 5% to 5.5%, costs x^2, from 5.5% to 6% costs x^4 and so forth).

It may be a gold sink, but I think it would have an overall better effect on the economy if more gg items were taken off the market by becoming BoA. It would incentivize farming.
Reply Quote
I'm wondering if the only stats we can re-roll are ONLY the random affixes OR can we re-roll the predetermined skill that they always roll with? eg: re-roll the dex or str on a storm crown?
Reply Quote
simply grinding for gear will kill us all - however if the mystic can do something benifical to us within a reasonable means to players then we might actually be able to farm for upgrades because of the potential to make them better without going on mental farming spree's or camping the ah.
Reply Quote
08/29/2013 05:55 PMPosted by BDF
I'm not really a fan of that, because it puts a big damper on upgrading and the item hunt, rather than crafting material hunt.

So then, what Would be acceptable? Many of us have realized with the implementation of the RMAH most casual gamers will never see a good Mempo in the diablo 3 gaming career. If Best in slot items could gained without having to resort to using the auctions houses wouldn't that be a good thing?

A better question for you BDF would be what would be a sufficient item reward for those who don't want to spend extra money on gear. Mid tier gear that allows them to farm better gear? Non-tradeable best in slot gear that has to be made?, Godly gear tailored to their specific character when it drops? Or should everything be a constant grind?

Not everyone has spent 1,000+ hours on each character they have.

08/30/2013 06:15 AMPosted by SunTzu
'm wondering if the only stats we can re-roll are ONLY the random affixes OR can we re-roll the predetermined skill that they always roll with? eg: re-roll the dex or str on a storm crown?

They haven't detailed it yet, but the assumption was every affix is re-rollable and the followup to that is no, we don't know if the affix that is re-rolled can be different or if its fixed and can only get better. E.g Chantodo Force with 9.0% crit chance (re-roll 5 times and finally get 10% crit chance/ re-roll 5 times and get +10 Apoc instead of crit chance).

The inherent problem with diablo 3 current loot system is we don't all bot, therefore we will never earn the billions of gold required to purchase 1 good item, (never mind a perfect rolled version). If however a true crafting system exists to allow the moderate/casual gamer to at a moderate enough of a cost can be achieve best in slots items for their specific character type thats a good thing right?
Reply Quote
A better question for you BDF would be what would be a sufficient item reward for those who don't want to spend extra money on gear. Mid tier gear that allows them to farm better gear? Non-tradeable best in slot gear that has to be made?, Godly gear tailored to their specific character when it drops? Or should everything be a constant grind?

I would want only a single reroll per item, and to make that item BOA because of it in order to remove end game items from the market.

This combined with people looking for perfect-minus one stat items would invigorate the AH again and keep it chugging longer.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
08/30/2013 12:00 PMPosted by BDF

I would want only a single reroll per item, and to make that item BOA because of it in order to remove end game items from the market.

This combined with people looking for perfect-minus one stat items would invigorate the AH again and keep it chugging longer.

That's not much of a gold sink. It looks like as of now it's going to be rerolls of an existing affix, which will be replaced by a completely random affix of a random value. So in essence, you can go backwards over and over and over. So what do you do? You grind for more mats and keep spending gold to reroll and reroll and reroll.

20 hours later? Maybe you finally get the rerolled affix that you want. Or, maybe while grinding, you end up finding a new item that's plain better than the item you're trying to reroll. Blizzard is trying to push players away from relying on the AH for 90% of their gear. With your system, players will go to the AH to find the near-perfect item they can use to enchant. The desired system is for players to hunt in-game for that perfect or near-perfect item they can tinker with. This system also allows players to decide whether they want to keep rerolling the existing item (gold and time sink) or go out to attempt looting another item (and you'd inevitably gather mats and more gold to enchant) or go use the AH to pick up an item to use or enchant.

Why limit the player's options by allowing only one reroll? Why make it so that you potentially "screw" players over and over by BoA the enchanted item that can end up a total failure and push the player backwards in terms of progress?

Edit: here's more. Why screw a player by having him/her spend 1 billion gold on an item in the AH he/she wants to enchant, give it a fail reroll via mystic, make the 1 billion gold item BoA so he/she can't get reimbursed, and now the player is completely out of luck, out of gold and is obviously very, very unhappy and frustrated.

Now replace that situation with unlimited rerolls. Now the player can get screwed by a bad reroll, but instead of being completely set back, he/she spent X gold (a high, but reasonable amount, not 1 billion) and some in-game reagents, therefore he/she can go back out to the game, gather the necessary reagents and try again. That is fun. That is hope. You don't want players to just smash their keyboards in rage, give up and quit the game because of being completely screwed over. You want players to have a reason to keep trying by playing the game knowing they have reasonable control in getting what they want. The player can go about the upgrading process in different ways: keep trying to enchant that same item, loot a better one by luck, go to the AH for a one-shot upgrade to use, or go to the AH for a potentially easier item to enchant.
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 8/30/2013 12:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/30/2013 12:00 PMPosted by BDF

From What I've seen that is sorta gonna happen and sorta not. During the demo teaser the number of stars the item has allows for the number of affix's that can be re-rolled. I do not know if this is the number of times you can attempt (or infinite attempts to any 3 you choose and only those 3). But there was clearly the same legendary and it had 1 star or 3 stars. Blues have stated this indicates how well an item can be used with the mystic. I obviously don't know the specific's but this seems a good guess at least.

And I totally get what you're saying about removing end-game items. What maybe you haven't realized yet is once an item receives the mystic treatment It can no longer be traded doesn't matter if you only do it once or +1,000 times or one time. Once you pop that "cherry" there is no going back for that particular item. So the only difference between an item thats been re-rolled 1,000+ times and 1 time is the input cost for that item and how lucky you get on your rolls.

Your way of doing things just adds a ton of time to find the right item, then they only get 1 shot at making it good. So instead of grinding for 1,000+ hours to get godly items we would now have to grind for 5,000+ hours for just a chance at a godly item. This prevents any casual gamer from achieving end-game gear, and also still keeps god-tier items in the auction house. Because the difference between a 4.5% crit mempo and a 6.0% crit mempo is just a roll away.This would actually expand the difference between decent items and crap. There needs to be a system which allows casual gamers to bypass the auction houses either partly or entirely.
Edited by Harrowing#1449 on 8/30/2013 12:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The desired system is for players to hunt in-game for that perfect or near-perfect item they can tinker with. This system also allows players to decide whether they want to keep rerolling the existing item (gold and time sink) or go out to attempt looting another item (and you'd inevitably gather mats and more gold to enchant) or go use the AH to pick up an item to use or enchant.

Why limit the player's options by allowing only one reroll? Why make it so that you potentially "screw" players over and over by BoA the enchanted item that can end up a total failure and push the player backwards in terms of progress?

Exactly
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
From What I've seen that is sorta gonna happen and sorta not. During the demo teaser the number of stars the item has allows for the number of affix's that can be re-rolled. I do not know if this is the number of times you can attempt (or infinite attempts to any 3 you choose and only those 3). But there was clearly the same legendary and it had 1 star or 3 stars.

That's actually a system representing the rarity of a legendary. When legendaries drop, they will have graphics involving stars/sparkling effects. The "shinier" it is, the better potential it has. It may be tied to the mystic in terms of rerolls, but so far we've only seen it on legendary items, not rares.
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 8/30/2013 12:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Pretty sure the rerolls are going to be as many times as we desire however it's probably going to be limited to just ONE stat..meaning once you select that stat, that affix is the only one rerollable - all others stay the same.

That's kinda what I got from the initial talks about it. We'll see though.
Reply Quote
08/30/2013 12:19 PMPosted by Jaetch
Edit: here's more. Why screw a player by having him/her spend 1 billion gold on an item in the AH he/she wants to enchant, give it a fail reroll via mystic, make the 1 billion gold item BoA so he/she can't get reimbursed, and now the player is completely out of luck, out of gold and is obviously very, very unhappy and frustrated.

Why assume that a player with a billion gold would not know the risks going in to make him weigh what the potential return of his investment is?

I'm guessing it would function much like people buying unids, where items have potential to be great, but are far from guaranteed. However I would be happy for there to be a mechanism to potentially make a billion gold item unsellable. The slow item creep towards perfection that we have now is one of the things responsible for making all but near-perfect items on the AH worthless and undesirable.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]