Diablo® III

Path of Exile?

I remember when a lot of people on this forum were claiming that PoE would overake D3, etc. But a few months later I've completely forgotten about it until recently. So what happened to Path of Exile anyways?
Reply Quote
Those who are into it seem to passionately like it. I haven't played it much, though.
Reply Quote
Most likely, people just got tired of bringing it up here. And if you hadn't noticed, the "Games, Gaming, and Hardware" forum for D3 has been kinda dead for some time. Barely any of the threads here are reaching double-digits in posting and the posts that do occur is like once every 10 or so hours here.

As for PoE, I'm honestly just waiting for the story to finally get updated beyond the fight with Piety. The makers have gone on record saying that they want to make 10 freaking Acts for the game... yet Act 3 has been incomplete since forever. :(
Edited by Retloclive#1656 on 8/29/2013 7:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well statistically they have around 2.5 million users. Not too shabby.

All things being equal, I'd say they have about 1/2 or 1/3 of the players online on average as D3 does. But that is just a guess, it could be more or it could be less.

Overtaking will take longer than the year these games have been out. Who knows, D2 may still overtake both these games in the long run. It might be like asking which is more popular, checkers or chess.
Reply Quote
08/30/2013 01:33 AMPosted by RockSalt
All things being equal, I'd say they have about 1/2 or 1/3 of the players online on average as D3 does. But that is just a guess, it could be more or it could be less.

if you mean in similar terms I highly doubt the half that d3 has of its original is online. i.e 6million is what you're saying.
Reply Quote
I still play it actively, in terms of making builds and depth of customization it's leaps and bounds better. I just come over here to see if they fixed any of their problems yet.
Reply Quote
08/29/2013 01:16 PMPosted by MaapoXII
So what happened to Path of Exile anyways?

Still going well even though it is still in official "Beta" classification. Over 3 million* accounts. Current population is temporary spread out, as there are 2 "temporary leagues" running for 4 months to October (Onslaught and Anarchy) on top of the "permanent leagues" for HC and Default. They're also in to their 4th Season of race events (162 races).

Development-wise, they're releasing major optimisation/balancing/skill updates every 2 weeks (now they've increased their staff) in the lead up to the official release in October.

Ohh and they banned "Cybrix" for apparently RMT... lols.

http://gamerliving.net/2013/08/30/razer-collaborates-with-grinding-gear-games-to-enhance-new-game-path-of-exile/

08/29/2013 07:44 PMPosted by Retloclive
As for PoE, I'm honestly just waiting for the story to finally get updated beyond the fight with Piety. The makers have gone on record saying that they want to make 10 freaking Acts for the game... yet Act 3 has been incomplete since forever. :(

Forever = a whole 8 months (since the end of January)?

Act 3 is already HUGE… next month will see the move to Open Release, which includes Act 3X that “completes” the story content of Act 3 and adds 30% more content. At the same time, they’ve also already working on Act 4, which is to be released around August 2014.

Yes, they’re on record for saying that they plan to release 10 Acts (in total) for the game, but obviously only if the demand is there etc.

HTH
Reply Quote
PoE is alive and kicking, yesterday my Summoner Witch (a real summoner, Mr. Witch Doctor! ) reached level 80 which I'm pretty proud of because it was done basicly "selffound/self crafted", "single player" and without running endgame maps (only a hand full so far). Level ~80 is basicly "endgame" in PoE at the moment, at least if you don't do high level map-runs with groups. But new content is on the way, there is alot planed in the future and updates/patches appear almost every week. (How long ago was the last Diablo 3 Patch by the way ;) )
Edited by FusionPower#2473 on 9/4/2013 11:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I stop playing PoE about half a year ago. My friend told me to come back and give it another try. He said they have made some major improvements since I gone: the graphic is better, character is smaller but with richer details, armors look more bad azz and actions are much smoother.

The total update patch is almost 2G in size!!!
Reply Quote

That's because they updated much of their client-side data to allow for better performance. It's a one-time thing, and really, 2 GByte is not that much of a download. Especially since I just updated my D3 client (heavens know why, I won't be playing, might just be my OCD acting up), and that update also weighed in at one GByte.

At any rate, concerning the topic: It's alive, well and kicking. And to be honest, I usually don't browse these forums here any more but came to have a look around because somebody told me that "the D3 community was VERY excited about the expansion", and i had to verify that.
Needless to say, that somebody apparently lied.
Edited by Muesli#2215 on 9/5/2013 8:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I stop playing PoE about half a year ago. My friend told me to come back and give it another try. He said they have made some major improvements since I gone: the graphic is better, character is smaller but with richer details, armors look more bad azz and actions are much smoother.

Hiya... that's cool to check out games, take time away and check back in after a while.

Most of the improvements (in that 2gb patch) and upcoming ones will be of graphical nature... the "polishing" type of improvements some people criticised POE for lacking. This files (graphic and sound files) all sit on your PC (the client) loading into the game as you play. These file types also happen to be the largest files used within games... so if they're replacing them it increases the patch sizes.

The developers (GGG) are really starting to ramp up the improvements at the moment, because they've recently hired more Graphic/Art Developers to improve the quality of the game as they prepare to Release late next month.

They're improving the quality of the art, but at the same time reducing the file sizes of the art (by 40%), which allows the game to play better. Before the update patch you mentioned the POE client file as about 6gb in size... after the update the POE client is now under 4gb in size.

GGG will be aggressively patching the game in the next month a half, so there will be lots of downloading/patching. If you're concerned about download volumes I would suggest waiting until the end of October when the game is "released". That should be the last major download for a while. Then followed by normal patch type updates. :)

HTH
Reply Quote
I've been too busy playing PoE to the degree that I forgot how fun D3 forums are :(
Probably have spent more than $200 for cool effects, hmmm.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]