Diablo® III

advice needed for Archon build

View profile
Hi I found a nice wand so I switched out a set of Chantodo that I have been using for a long time. And bought the Triumvirate you see on profile for 80m. I gain 30k dps with the new stuff but I need to be careful with Reflect packs as I can easily overshoot and kill myself.

Here is profile
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/KirusAlufras-1739/hero/14143419
Old stuff
http://imgur.com/a/evWNs#2

Are there ways to set up so I don't have to go and get a LS weapon?

Thanks You.
Reply Quote
You will need to get a ls weapon if you want to do higher mp levels. Additionally, LS will help with the reflect packs. Check out Jaetch's Archon guide:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9793089550?page=1
He covers everything, including gearing.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
08/29/2013 08:35 PMPosted by KirusAlufras
Are there ways to set up so I don't have to go and get a LS weapon?

Yes. You will need insane EHP with high damage mitigation.

Here were my high points for EHP: fully buffed I was over 2 million. I had about 160K base HP and also around 95% damage reduction. I used only Blood Magic. I still lost HP, albeit slowly over time. I had less DPS on gear to accommodate the high EHP stats, and I generally played my way through by outlasting all the content.

It's also just as expensive, if not more, than just throwing on a life steal weapon.
Twitter: @Jaetch
Reply Quote
View profile
Thanks a lot guys.

Jaetch, I remember you talking about LS makes life easy. I had 2.4% LS + 1k life regen so I was healing most of the time when I hit a reflect pack.

Unless I get to those insane ehp there is no way to go about without any LS.
Reply Quote
You probably already know this, just as general advice, but your crit chance is incredibly low. I only counted 20% on your gear, leaving you with 25% in game. You should definitely aim for at least 40% crit from gear from what I know, and the more the better, of course. Archon's are not quite as dependent on attack speed as a CM wiz, so if you can't afford trifecta stuff, at least use crit chance and crit damage helm, rings and ammy. You have 0% on those 4 pieces at the moment, which is a potential loss of up to 28% crit chance.

Also, once you get the crit chance, you can replace the ruby in your weapon with an emerald instead.
Edited by GoSuPanda#1180 on 8/30/2013 3:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
08/30/2013 03:09 AMPosted by GoSuPanda
but your crit chance is incredibly low. I only counted 20% on your gear

Yea only 20, and I think I'm going to reduce that number in the future.

Having more aps, mmd, and int will be cheaper to build, and if I'm at the same dps as someone with high cc/cd, I will be doing more damage. But without high cc/cd I will not get to 500k tho. Should be able to hit 400k without any problem.
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 8/30/2013 8:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/30/2013 08:58 AMPosted by KirusAlufras
Having more aps, mmd, and int will be cheaper to build, and if I'm at the same dps as someone with high cc/cd, I will be doing more damage

You'll be doing about the same damage as someone with the same char sheet dps, regardless of how you each got there. Technically the high CC gearing will lead to slightly higher dps due to extra CM procs, which let you case that aoe blast a bit more often, but that's likely a small amount.

The main reason most Archon stacks CC+CD is it's the easiest way to reach high dps, and most consider it cheaper. Otherwise, the high CC only matters for refreshing Archon, which shouldn't matter a ton as long as you don't run MP above what is dictated by efficiency. And, like you said, if you get there with another gearing strategy, that's fine.
Reply Quote
View profile
08/30/2013 09:03 AMPosted by Loroese
You'll be doing about the same damage as someone with the same char sheet dps, regardless of how you each got there

technically yes, reality no.

lets say you have 50% cc and you dps is 200k. then you will be jumping between 80~300 without considering the randomize from your weapon damage. But if I have like no cc/cd then my damage output will always be the same (not taking chances).

profile is not perfect, just saying.
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 8/30/2013 10:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/30/2013 10:04 AMPosted by KirusAlufras
You'll be doing about the same damage as someone with the same char sheet dps, regardless of how you each got there

technically yes, reality no.

lets say you have 50% cc and you dps is 200k. then you will be jumping between 80~300 without considering the randomize from your weapon damage. But if I have like no cc/cd then my damage output will always be the same (not taking chances).

profile is not perfect, just saying.

I'm not going to go into a lengthy discussion of the subject because it's been discussed to death already. However, the basics behind how the beam works is it hits at the same frequency regardless of your APS, at a rate of 60 tics per second. Higher APS makes each tic hit a little harder, and crits are checked every so often, like every 10 tics or so. That means you check for crits quite frequently and your dps averages out over crits quite quickly, at least when you have decent crit, like around 50%. Lower crit can see more crit-less streaks, but it still evens out pretty well, especially against elites that take several seconds or longer to kill.

That's the same reason why the general recommendation for weapon gem is to use whichever gives you the best char sheet dps. Plenty of people have tested different gems over multiple runs and determined that the burst damage evens out pretty well. Otherwise we would all be using rubies.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Seconding Loroese's explanation, and I'll just throw this out there...

The joy of Archon isn't just the simplicity of the play. It's also incredibly straightforward to gear up. You just want bigger numbers everywhere. No breakpoints. No specific benchmarks. If you can get 100 more intelligence somewhere, get it. If you can get 1% more crit chance somewhere, get it. If you can get 1% more IAS somewhere, get it. If you can get 10 more AR somewhere, get it. If you can get 50 more armor somewhere, get it. If you can get 1% more elemental bonus somewhere, get it.

Should you choose to skip out on CC in favor of IAS, you're going to hit a DPS ceiling and you will have to get bonus CC to progress, especially if you're doing sustained damage over time. Sheet DPS is just an average. Your eDPS will be averaged out anyway. This has been tested to death and it's already proven on numerous occasions.
Reply Quote
Seconding Loroese's explanation, and I'll just throw this out there...

The joy of Archon isn't just the simplicity of the play. It's also incredibly straightforward to gear up. You just want bigger numbers everywhere. No breakpoints. No specific benchmarks. If you can get 100 more intelligence somewhere, get it. If you can get 1% more crit chance somewhere, get it. If you can get 1% more IAS somewhere, get it. If you can get 10 more AR somewhere, get it. If you can get 50 more armor somewhere, get it. If you can get 1% more elemental bonus somewhere, get it.

Should you choose to skip out on CC in favor of IAS, you're going to hit a DPS ceiling and you will have to get bonus CC to progress, especially if you're doing sustained damage over time. Sheet DPS is just an average. Your eDPS will be averaged out anyway. This has been tested to death and it's already proven on numerous occasions.

Exactly. I just want to emphasize that I'm not saying you have to gear for CC+CD. I was just trying to clear up the misconception of APS and average damage with Archon, since the topic ends up popping up all too often. Really, the main reason I like Archon so much is the simplicity in gearing. I don't have to juggle APS breakpoints or CC+ApoC levels, or LoH vs mitigation. I mostly just add dps where I can and choose to keep sufficient mitigation to facetank RD mobs.
Reply Quote
08/30/2013 10:04 AMPosted by KirusAlufras

Your desire for steady damage output, while understandable, will cripple your character. CC and CD will account for over 75% of your final damage. With 50 CC and 400 CD, fully 83% of the damage is from crits. That's a sixfold increase. You cannot compensate for that with anything else. You just can't.
Edited by mzy#1101 on 8/30/2013 12:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Jaetch - when did you craft that sword? Thanks
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]