Diablo® III

Cm wiz and exploding fat things

Was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to deal with mobs of fat exploding things.
Seems the new trend is to round up huge packs of monsters and then whack em all at once.
This is an issue as when more than 2 explode at a time then so do I.
I have been airborne more times in the last 2 days than I can count and I get pretty acrobatic while doing it.

Anyway I have tried better nado placement towards the outside of the mobs to leach more life to try to take a hit. Have tried teleport to move but sometimes they are so tight packed its hard to tell whats what with all the effects on screen.Plus treasure pickup is a nightmare as you cant tell whats what due to piles of crap.

Anyway how does one deal with this type of issue and not look like the flying noob.
Am running mp8 pub games act1.

TYVM
Reply Quote
run or increase your EHP.
Reply Quote
I always make sure to run right into those things when they explode, the more the merrier...freeeee procs woot love it, tests mah HPs. Also love watching EHP noobs die..j/k I <3 you OP

I sometimes have to eat crow when 3 explode at the same time with fire bomb explosion on them though gg -.-
Edited by MasterJay#1651 on 8/29/2013 9:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/29/2013 09:08 AMPosted by Harr
run or increase your EHP.

Pretty much this.
Reply Quote
I assume you're referring to the grotesques? Well, as far as knockback goes, that's an affix that we all are annoyed by and have to deal with. The best way to take care of them is to lock down as many at a time as possible, and then teleport out when they are about to explode.

Also, being able to survive one explosion is key. If more than one, just TP out. You should have no trouble with wormhole.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Yeah...if you're playing MP10 with 310EHP and 85% mit you're never going to last long in those situations. I'm at 387 EHP with just over 88% mit (my standard gear, not what's on my profile) and I can take one hit of anything. Taking the second hit depends on how fast LoH refills. I can't do two at a time.

You can either increase mit (which you should do anyway) or increase EHP (which you should do anyway). Regardless of mit, stacking EHP is largely the only way to take a large hit....much less two.
Reply Quote
As others have said:

-Run away
-Get more eHP

Other things:

-Pop Diamond Skin if it isn't already up. If shards is not enough, there is always Crystal Shell if dying is really that big of an issue.
-Use Teleport - Safe Passage. 30% damage reduction even when teleporting in place as they're about to explode can go a long ways.
-My guess would be that their explosion is melee damage. You could also try Blur as a passive.

Getting more eHP is the best solution. It's also the most costly to your gold/BNet balance.

-dolynick
Reply Quote
The key to not dying is getting more EHP. News at 11. :P
Reply Quote
I assume you're referring to the grotesques? Well, as far as knockback goes, that's an affix that we all are annoyed by and have to deal with. The best way to take care of them is to lock down as many at a time as possible, and then teleport out when they are about to explode.

Also, being able to survive one explosion is key. If more than one, just TP out. You should have no trouble with wormhole.

Mor,

I turned off GC last night and saw my EHP skyrocket. If I put my Amethyst back in, I get to 600k EHP....DPS falls from 315,000 to 274,000...so I lose 40k dps without the passive...At that point, with shards, I "think" I can survive two molten's at once...and a Fallen Maniac with no shell? Can anyone confirm that?
Reply Quote
It's not just about "gear better." The following two active choices are about "play better." Grotesque explosions and molten are predictable, forecasted damage that you can play around.

>>Wormhole away for 2-3 tele and then back on last tele.
>>If you see 2+ exploding. Time a potion after the 1st explosion.

Also, don't run with palm monks that make everything die same time (in high dps groups, they aren't the fastest xp/h anyway). The simultaneous mass palm death leaves you with no sustain and key defensive abilities may be stuck on cooldown.
Edited by Vox#1186 on 8/29/2013 12:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Mor,

I turned off GC last night and saw my EHP skyrocket. If I put my Amethyst back in, I get to 600k EHP....DPS falls from 315,000 to 274,000...so I lose 40k dps without the passive...At that point, with shards, I "think" I can survive two molten's at once...and a Fallen Maniac with no shell? Can anyone confirm that?

IIRC maniacs are above 650k worth of damage, so running into one without ds up is likely still going to result in death.
Reply Quote
don't listen to Melkor - he is a special case, no one has as much mit as he does these days... we wish we could, but the dps troll always lures us in over ehp.

one thing that works for me is to make sure you have twisters on other mobs or areas ticking away your loh/ls running crystal shell and then boom 1 boom 2 and i'm still there sometimes thanks to the loh refilling my hp inbetween blasts... but then if you get them going boom all at once like 3 of them - nothing but the melkorious mit will save you.
Reply Quote
don't listen to Melkor - he is a special case, no one has as much mit as he does these days... we wish we could, but the dps troll always lures us in over ehp.

one thing that works for me is to make sure you have twisters on other mobs or areas ticking away your loh/ls running crystal shell and then boom 1 boom 2 and i'm still there sometimes thanks to the loh refilling my hp inbetween blasts... but then if you get them going boom all at once like 3 of them - nothing but the melkorious mit will save you.

"Melkorious Mit" - I love that.

@silverfire - gotcha..yeah like I said, I only gots 600k ehp with amethyst and no GC...so I'd be dead against a Fallen Maniac. But I'm guessing with a fresh shards shell I'd be ok. Ima test!
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Fallen Maniacs (and I believe Molten explosions are close in damage) do at least 500K damage last I checked in Archon form while I was doing tests for my Archon guide (at the time I had about 92-93% damage reduction and took around 35K damage). The AOE of the explosion matters as well.

Grotesque explosions do less, so you can kinda gauge it from there.
Twitter: @Jaetch
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 8/29/2013 2:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Mor,

Fallen maniac I doubt it my man. Two moltens would be interesting although I believe you would lose, but not 100% sure. Two grotesques for sure on your paragon 100. Maybe 3. You're just a mit beast bro.

Basically 89% mit with GC and 400K deeps fully buffed. Beast mode!
Edited by Moridin#1522 on 8/29/2013 2:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Okay so the consensus is more ehp and mitigation is the key.Staying away from the crazy barbs and palming monks is probably a good idea. More LOH wouldnt hurt either I guess but not sure where to get it cheap. I'm a bit over the 2.73 breakpoint so have some wiggle room but dont want to drop below it. Its comfortable and I like it there just fine. I do try to run or teleport but sometimes the screen is so busy with effects its hard to tell whats happening to what.

I'm still a bit of a budget build with around 30 mil spent so will need to go back to the thread to see some ideas for better areas for improvement. This was just a fun build to play something different and now am hooked on it. I try to stay out of mp10 unless I know who I am running with really well unless close to leveling. I'm just impatient when I get to the last 3 bars or so.

Seemed like a good topic for the day and the responses were great and helpful.
Thank you all for your help.
Reply Quote
08/29/2013 03:20 PMPosted by BumblyWumbly
sometimes the screen is so busy with effects its hard to tell whats happening to what.

This is also a factor, and it's lame, because there is no evading what you can't see! Only gearing really helps.

I will say that this is spike dmg, so total EHP matters much more than just mit% in order to survive. The cheapest way to gear up to survive the Grotesque explosions is (to a point) increased life rather than armor/all res.

Good luck, Bumbly!
Reply Quote
Fallen Maniacs (and I believe Molten explosions are close in damage) do at least 500K damage last I checked in Archon form while I was doing tests for my Archon guide (at the time I had about 92-93% damage reduction and took around 35K damage). The AOE of the explosion matters as well.Grotesque explosions do less, so you can kinda gauge it from there.________________________________________________

Fallen Maniacs are about 573k damage in one shot. Pre-dodge eHP of course.

I spent a while watching my eHP creep up with prismatic at one point, and it was right around that point where I was able to survive a hit again.

Molten bombs are somewhere in the 410k-430k range.

-dolynick
Edited by dolynick#1290 on 8/29/2013 6:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]