Diablo® III

☆ The Archon Video Guide Series: by Jaetch

MVP - Diablo III
View profile
TOO MANY ARCHON QUESTIONS ALL ASKING THE SAME THINGS I CAN'T ANSWER THEM ALL ONE BY ONE...

This is a series of video guides designed to help players who are new to (or confused about) the Archon wizard build, or simply need some pointers. Most experienced players may find much of the content in these guides very familiar, but hopefully there are some elements in the guides that can still prove to be enlightening.

Disclaimer: names, items, places, etc. featured in the videos belong to Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All music used belong to their respective recording artists. All included footage credited to their original recorders. No copyright infringements are intended. This video is not to be used for personal profits.

Guides are currently Patch 1.08a viable.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

THE ARCHON GUIDE:
Released 7/30/2013 - Patch 1.08a viable
http://youtu.be/FNGcVmC3AVA

CHAPTER I: Overview (00:02:14)

CHAPTER II: Gearing (00:03:40)
- Gear Choices (00:04:14)
- Upgrading Demo (00:29:29)
- FAQs (00:45:52)

CHAPTER III: Skill Selection (00:49:10)
- Active skill choices (00:49:42)
- Passive skill choices (00:51:20)
- Alternate skill choices (00:54:15)

CHAPTER IV: Gameplay (00:55:41)
- Using Archon
- Using Critical Mass (00:56:55)
- Tips & Tricks (00:59:31)

CHAPTER V: Farming (01:02:49)
- Act I, II & III Routes
- MP Selection (1:12:58)
- Paragon Farming (1:15:37)

CHAPTER VI: Ubers & Bosses (01:17:46)

CHAPTER VII: The Future (01:20:17)

Approximate run time: 86 minutes

THE ARCHON GUIDE: XPAC I - PARAGON LEVELING
Released 8/27/2013 - Patch 1.08a viable
http://youtu.be/Aa6LLkJV4Ss

Approximate run time: 8 minutes

Special thanks to Junger for hooking me up to these runs.

For more details on MP and EXP bonuses, see PieHole's discussion thread: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9793089612

Other stuff:

Hybrid CMWW+Archon MP10 solo ubers (not advised):
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9972217543

MP5 Archon set for 1M gold (November 2013 prices)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10433783580

Notes:
- On occasion, pop-ups will show up on the screen. Feel free to pause the video to read them as they act as supplementary information to what I'm talking about.
- I speak very fast and I apologize in advance for that (I've considered subtitling this; perhaps in the future if absolutely necessary).
- This thread is a repost, though set to accommodate future changes.

For comments in the original "Archon Guide" thread, see: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9572597525
Twitter: @Jaetch
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 11/4/2013 10:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
Ooh. A new one. What about pick up radius???
Reply Quote
Hi Jaetch, just wanted to say thanks (a million of them) for the guide, especially the gearing up section. Excellent work! Now do one for each of the other popular builds. *runs away*
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
08/27/2013 10:16 PMPosted by Enremeit
Ooh. A new one. What about pick up radius???

I reposted because I plan on adding more stuff down the line whenever the time calls for it. So this time, it'd be paragon leveling.

You can look for pick up radius videos on YouTube by searching for "D3 Witch Doctor gear."

Hi Jaetch, just wanted to say thanks (a million of them) for the guide, especially the gearing up section. Excellent work! Now do one for each of the other popular builds. *runs away*

No problem, happy to make stuff like this. Big fat no to making guides to other builds, though (at least for now and the foreseeable future).
Reply Quote
08/27/2013 10:23 PMPosted by Jaetch
I reposted because I plan on adding more stuff down the line whenever the time calls for it. So this time, it'd be paragon leveling.

Being fair, your videos are amazing, and simply packed with great knowledge. I only want pickup radius because of RV's thread. Don't personally care for it too much.
Reply Quote
tbh i really would not recommend mp10 on archon - specially getting that 5stacks would take you longer - archons should really farm where they could kill elites in less than 10 secs, no kite, just pure facerolling , that's where we can maximize kill efficiency. That's why i still prefer the mid mp's for highly geared players - for not only you kill fast, you also farm demonic essences faster.

and the pickupradius thing, i kinda understand what Enremeit is sayin, i paralevel 100 my archon straight up everyday - and the goldpickup is also a good thing, i see most of people don't have one on their gear which is not a bad thing.. but in my opinion having at least 7PUR is kind of a luxury - it saves you time from picking gold from afar which is actually good for archons since we needed to keep the timer up.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
@yems - I never said you had to run on MP10. I specifically stated in the video that if you want to run on any MP level you can handle, go for it, as the route is the same. You can also run classic Scramble-TeleArchon if you wish. Mine is merely a demonstration.

In addition, this isn't about loot or DEs, this is about EXP. For max EXP, you need NV stacks for the multiplicative 1.75x more total experience overall. And if standard elites die in 10-15 seconds on any MP level, then by all means run that MP level. We're talking cumulative EXP per kill. If you want to talk loot, you want to look at the +% bonus drop per kill. One-shot trash mobs come into play there, not just elites. If MP10 mobs die in ~1 second and MP7 mobs die in sub-1 second, what is the difference if you're dishing out mass AOE damage and they all die in approximately a second anyway?

Pick up radius is a luxury. If you're desperate for gold, then go for it. Health globes are barely on the radar if you run a decent level of EHP and/or life steal. If you're facetanking elites, globes drop so close to you just twitching your character will pick them up. I would only recommend pick up if you're in the former (gold starved and you have to pick everything up) or latter (must rely on health globes for sustain). Otherwise, not necessary.
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 8/27/2013 11:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
so my question is: are you gaining xp faster on mp10 than like on mp8? my point is - you're a highly geared player as most of us can tell, and by looking at your vid we can easily tell that even with that dps elites still die real slow, and thus it hinders real efficiency in grinding -specially when we encounter tough affix. You showed the vid on mp10, so i assumed that's the route you go in leveling.

Pick up radius is a luxury. If you're desperate for gold, then go for it

it's an added income
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
Elites aren't the concern. 10-15 seconds isn't long for elites at all. If you more or less one-shot mobs, that's the MP you should be running. It's been that way for a long time. Now that NV stacks are multiplicative, the higher MP you go, there's significantly more EXP per single mob you kill. That's the bulk of the EXP. I know my runs net me notably less EXP per run on MP7 (borderline 100M per hour) than MP10 (130-140M). I have not tried 8 or 9. Solo, by the way and taking the time to pick up items, go to town and ID/sell. Four-man team on MP10 is a no-brainer. Easily 1300%+ bonus experience per kill with a piece of EXP gear. 4x Crypt runs today in about two hours took me from paragon 58 to over 61, close to 62.

Again, I don't have a problem with pick up, it's just way in the bottom of my list of priorities when it comes to building a character that's balanced offensively and defensively. I'd take 100 extra vitality, 70+ AR, or 200+ armor, or even high dex or high life regeneration over the pick up any single day. My shoulders? I'd still keep the physical resist over the pick up (if it rolled higher).

The added income you get from picking up a few extra stacks of gold does not outweigh what you'd get with higher stats farming higher levels for additional drops to vendor or sell on the AH. I will repeat, I don't see the need for pick up as an Archon unless you're:

1. Strapped for gold and desperate
2. Frequently in need of health globes
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 8/28/2013 12:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
+1 for the ☆

Even are listed in the compendium, I think the few major guides should be stickied on the front page ie, your Archon video guides, PieHole's CM/WW SNS guide, the main meteor and SS guide.

Tempted to just go back through once every few days and bump each just so they stay on top.
Reply Quote
Fantastic work once again Jaetch - i just can't believe that you have to spell it out so much. Anyway cudos for putting the work in.
Edited by Amos#6777 on 8/28/2013 2:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
As always, nice video! Thanks Jaetch!

Did you make any comparison between Fields of Misery with the Crypt and without the Crypt, in terms of XP / Hour ?
Reply Quote
I think you forgot a section in Chapter 2: Gender Selection -----> Female Wiz 4lyfe.
Reply Quote
I am an EU player and i just visit US forums because of Jaetch :D
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
As always, nice video! Thanks Jaetch!

Did you make any comparison between Fields of Misery with the Crypt and without the Crypt, in terms of XP / Hour ?

The Crypt more or less provides 2-3 bars of EXP at paragon 60 when doing a 4-man team on MP10. So you can consider that to be about ~20-25M or so EXP in a few minutes. I haven't kept track each time, but I think some people reached over 30M EXP in the zone before. You might miss out on a bar's worth of EXP while searching for the Crypt (10M EXP or so), but that's easily made up over the span of an hour if you can get the Crypt every few restarts (a couple minutes at best if you know where to search as I've demonstrated in the video). If you scale the EXP down a bit to solo play, the overall picture is the same.

Also, I added a thread to PieHole's MP and EXP discussion in the OP for the people wondering about higher MP efficiency.
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 8/28/2013 9:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@Jaetch Thanks a ton for all the advice and guides that you have done! I have scoured the internet looking for input on wizard builds and so far your advice has been the best. Thank again!
Reply Quote
agro?
Reply Quote
Nice vids... even subscribed.

I just pieced together what I had laying around and picked up a new source.

My unbuffed dps is 346K and Unbuffed Mit is 87.32%.

Any suggestions on what Piece of gear I can upgrade to make it more MP10 viable. Been doing group runs without too much trouble. But it never feels like I am doing as much damage as I could be.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
08/28/2013 09:52 AMPosted by Neoshinji
Any suggestions on what Piece of gear I can upgrade to make it more MP10 viable. Been doing group runs without too much trouble. But it never feels like I am doing as much damage as I could be.

Well, I think you're someone who knows what stats to look for by now. Your armor stat is actually incredibly high. You can afford to drop some of that in favor of significantly more intelligence (like 300+ more intelligence) and crit damage. Or if you have the budget, just tack on and improve on those stats without giving up the armor.
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 8/28/2013 10:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thank you for the time you put into this video series. I was getting frustrated because I was focusing on the wrong stats.

Any tips what I should upgrade from this point?.. seem to be doing MP8 without much problem but 10 is a bit of a PITA.

Im leaning toward trying to make better bracers and possibly find a ring with EH donno tho. Although I do miss my Zumi feets
Edited by Nabbs#1644 on 8/28/2013 11:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]