Diablo® III

☆ The Archon Video Guide Series: by Jaetch

08/28/2013 12:15 AMPosted by Jaetch
I have not tried 8 or 9. Solo, by the way and taking the time to pick up items, go to town and ID/sell. Four-man team on MP10 is a no-brainer. Easily 1300%+ bonus experience per kill with a piece of EXP gear. 4x Crypt runs today in about two hours took me from paragon 58 to over 61, close to 62.

yems does raise a good point, and it wouldn't surprise me if even you would end up with higher xp/min on MP9. Agreed that 4-player team on MP10 is the way to go though.
Reply Quote
that zuni ring is nice, but im sure some cm wiz would love it. maybe a quad-pox or double int/vit roll trifecta?
Reply Quote
Thanks for the xpac you filthy casual. :P
Reply Quote
Very nice guide. I'm curious though as to what I should try to upgrade next? Most of my stuff I found before I quit playing back in 1.05. I am wanting to just faceroll through stuff so I can farm.
Reply Quote
One thing that a few of us do is run an alt low dps TR Monk to find the crypts. I do this on another account so it makes it easier. If you are running in a party, you could find the crypt and then when everyone else joins just switch characters. It just makes the hunt a bit faster.

I also get the TR to actually run the crypt to anger the mothers and get the map layout. Anyone in game even in town while the crypt is being run will get the map layout. If you are switching characters you will lose it the map but as long as someone has it. You could also use that character to run the Woods to find the elites.

It really makes a difference to have the crypt on every run. TR just makes it faster and even with cheap high vit spirit regen gear I do not die much at all on MP9.
Reply Quote
This question is not important
Yet i wanted to ask

How much cheapest item you have costs?
Reply Quote
Four-man team on MP10 is a no-brainer

+3 ☆ on the party team - 3man archon and a monk or barb support would be nice too. A barb with forcemarch or a monk with vortex /mantra buff would be nice.

so with a 4man party, not only we have bonus xp but the hp of the mobs are also reduced - so each member would only increase the hp at 50% we could actually carry at least one member. That carry , for example if he don't have that good of a gear could just actually do a support buff

for example this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9485558737

a low geared wizard can also help, like for example this build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#blgQTS!deW!ZYZaYc

we could also add up frostnova + bonechill there
Edited by yems#6688 on 8/28/2013 8:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Well, at least people are watching the videos (somehow). Nearly 4K views on the paragon one in its first full day.

But seriously, play how you want. The video's there as a guide, not a strict "you must do this or you fail" style of play.
Twitter: @Jaetch
Reply Quote
thank you very much for creating that video, I found it very informative on the paragon leveling route, I will make sure to follow it, I have just recently created my own topic on helping me improve my dps on my wizard, then I found your thread here with the video, just wanted to say thanks for making it, nice work.
Reply Quote
Well, at least people are watching the videos (somehow). Nearly 4K views on the paragon one in its first full day.

But seriously, play how you want. The video's there as a guide, not a strict "you must do this or you fail" style of play.

Nice congrats man! Very well done.
Reply Quote

Almost up to 9k now.
Reply Quote
Awesome, loved it completely :)

It inspired me enough to come back to D3 and give me a purpose to try to gear my wizard for this hybrid Archon :)

Last I played her, was before the nerf to inferno mode, when blizz + hydra was the only way to play a wizard in inferno haha, so she has really bad gear for Archon (and in general was not so great gear at all, just something self found / ah picks to get her going, like 30k dps or something haha).

So having a budget of 6 mil, watching the guide and inspecting your 2 wizards, I tried to do my best on AH + d3up to emulate an entry level of your gear choices / advices. Ended up with 131k dps unbuffed (170k buffed, not counting the 25% bonus of archon form) and 225k EHP.

The result is amazing, I am having a blast(fun fun fun!) doing MP4 solo or full groups, and the only time I die is when I get frozen + elites beating on me + hazardous environment dmg (beams / plague / molten) as I can't move / dps :D In solo play I have no problem keeping Archon up, in parties depends of the areas we're doing and how much time is spent traveling to new groups (opted for galvanizing ward when playing in groups to not worry so much about dropping archon during fights to rebuff armor).

Since I never was and never will be a capable gold farmer (I simply can't get pass not breaking / looting everything, I don't pick blues until I clear an area fully, or I have to discover every single corner of the map), I can't rise a budget for upgrades fast (no point to use $$$ on rmah before xpac as obviously the new items will completely overshadow the old ones, and with the addition of extra skills / passives am sure many new builds will emerge which may render a specific setup obsolete or not optimal etc).

So with that said, I'm trying to figure out what my next aim for improving should be. More dps and more EHP won't hurt, but since am limited by funds, I think I should really set some priorities and try to hit some sweet spots in DPS / EHP. Any advice here would be welcome, thanks!
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
@Anelyn - That is awesome how you're progressing. I think you did a phenomenal job with your budget. It doesn't matter if you get low stats, just as long as you get the right stats. Slowly but surely you'll advance up the difficulty levels with each piece you replace.

Just remember the most important thing is that you're having fun. A guide is a guide, never absolute.
Reply Quote
Thanks, that's precisely my aim, to have fun and be able to slowly rise mp level :)

I'd love to get some more IAS (or a faster weapon) but it was simply not possible with my budget to find a decent DPS 1h with cdamage, LS, socket, intelligence on it apart from that sickle (and thought the intellect on it will make out for it's lowish 959 dps). I got the weapon with a 500k bid (placed the bid when there was 1h left on auction and surprisingly none else bided on it) so am very happy with it (plus the hook is an insane fun factor pulling stuff with my beam of awesomeness).

I just realized that getting AS on gloves / weapon would simply be out of my range (while keeping the CC / cdamage and other attributes I was aiming for according to d3up template), and I don't think AS is that vital for mid range MP hybrid archon (if you need to reset archon, frost nova + big mobs does it very well), the only part where I struggle a bit is few targets (less than 5) like popping a skeleton from a barrel etc as it can take couple seconds to kill it.

What I wanted from you - if is not too much to ask and you have some time on your hands - was given my setup (3 zuni pieces for bonus AR / int), what path would you advice me to try to pursue in the near future regarding the upgrades. I feel that breaking the 3 set piece bonus (by replacing legs or chest for example with others suggested in the guide) would be a bit too much of a stretch for me to recover the lost bonuses as it would force me into replacing / upgrading several pieces at once. The way I see it (and this is where I'm a bit unsure), the weapon and triumvirate should be fine for now, as I probably can't get noticeable upgrades without big gold sunks (while keeping similar stats and just improving instead of completely ditching some, ie: I could prolly find a better dps wise weapon but without LS, or w/o a socket etc), was thinking to try and aim for a Tal Amy with CC, so I can get into a ~45% CC without scoundrel buff (and switch him to hysteria), as well as working on upgrading my gems and generally leveling paragon (as you said, those free stats can't be made up from gear, and gives me a bit more of a leeway when juggling upgrades, as for example losing some hp from gear, will balance itself out as I get more paragon levels, I feel quite ok ~40k hp mark, I can take a charge from elite / rare charging bulls in act 1 on mp4-5 without flopping.

Thanks again :)
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Upgrading to different types of items (for example, Zuni Marrow to Tal chest) involves shifting existing stats to other pieces. In your case, you either have to give up the set 55 AR in favor of the DPS boost from Tal chest or you get the AR on another piece—for example, on your WH in place of thorns.

What you need to do going forward is basically increasing the value of all your stats here and there. If the slot is missing IAS/CC/CD or one of those stats and it's capable of rolling one or more of those stats, get it. If you're lacking intelligence on one piece, get more. The perks of Archon gearing is that it's straightforward: higher numbers everywhere, the better.

As long as you know what types of stats to look for and what items can roll such stats, you're in good shape. Get as many combinations of them on as many individual pieces as possible. Remember to use a stat calculator like d3up.com to simulate your stat gains/losses.
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 8/30/2013 2:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi Jaetch!

I haven't watched the video yet, thought I intend to later.

I usually play CM because i play with a group (a ww barb and a bear/bat wd). Do you think Archon can ever be a viable alternative in groups, or not at all?

Thanks!
Reply Quote
Thanks, that was just what I needed to hear, that my thought process was heading in the right direction (since when you have a very low budget, making a mistake is quite a severe drawback hehe!).

One last thing, in the video when you mention the DPS / EHP values for different MP levels, you do state that's fully buffed. But that fully buffed includes Archon, or just your ordinary human form? (as is quite a big difference in EHP for me - well for EVERYONE mwahaha - in and outside of Archon).

For example I have 207k dps and 419k EHP in Archon (w/o 25% archon boost, just the d3up stats when enabling self buffs and archon form), compared to 207k dps and 276k EHP outside of Archon. I did presume that graph would take in consideration the Archon buffed stats, but just want to be sure :)

Asking because I switched to MP6 (which I should be just fine with my archon buffed stats, but on the low end w/o archon up on EHP part), and while I have no problem clearing at acceptable speed whites and most elites, the packs that gave me trouble before (shielding frozen immob firechains arcane - combination of those) are quite more troublesome now, they are forcing me to move a lot more than I'd do in MP4, and deaths are a possibility (vortex into 3 arcane beams with only 1 target to hit = GG).
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
When we talked about buffed stats for Archon, we mean fully self-buffed with all your skills active. Your DPS can go even higher if you run Cold Blooded with a follower using a cold weapon. Anything chilled or frozen will take 20% more damage from all your attacks. That's not counted in buffed stats as the boost doesn't show up on your character sheet.
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 9/1/2013 12:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I will give it a try as soon as I get my hands on a buriza, but I noticed something weird every time I try a higher MP level. Mobs actually make a beeline for my scoundrel and I can't always save his hide (as I have things to deal with myself haha!) which makes me wonder if he did something to piss off the hordes of hell haha :)
Reply Quote
Another question then. Sorry. :)

Great guide btw.

You're talking about using hysteria for the scoundrel. This triggers on a critical hit from the scoundrel, right?

Would that imply giving my scoundrel crit chance items? I guess so, because his base crit is 0%.

I'm using the 3% crit bonus scoundrel passive atm, just because of this. Because his gear would get quite expensive if it also needed crit chance on it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]