Diablo® III

Surface Pro and Diablo 3

I had a nice large post typed up for how to squeeze the best performance out of your Surface; however, D3 Forums decided it was time for me to log in again and it destroyed the work. No draft =(.

The Surface Pro is billed as being able to "play Diablo 3 on the game's high settings without compromising on performance." This is a lie. If a large part of your criterion for a mobile device is, "Can it play D3 on High?" then buy a gaming laptop because you really can't PLAY on High.

You need to lower the settings and compromise on resolution to get smooth graphics so that you know where your mouse is. Playing for longer than 20 minutes kicks on the backup fans. The tablet gets HOT (and we all know heat and technology don't get along well). It is for these reasons that I don't recommend using the Surface as your primary vehicle for playing Diablo 3; however, it can run the game smoothly at moderate resolutions and low/no effects. Good for random grinding, bad for enjoying the experience.

With that being said, here are the settings you need to enable to get the most out of your Surface for Diablo 3:

• Performance Profile: High Performance - If you don't give everything full power, you won't get good performance at even mediocre settings
  • Program Properties: Run as Administrator & Disable display scaling on high DPI settings - You need to be able to make changes to the HDD and when you first start D3 you will be unable to click on Options to make the next changes. This is because of how the Surface Tablet and Windows 8 interact with the tablet's screen and its resolution.
  • Video Settings - 1360x768 Resolution, Low settings across the board, no shadows, disable Particle FX - If you don't do these things, you won't break 28 FPS with combat on the screen. If you don't go over 28 FPS you don't know where your cursor is due to graphics lag which means you can't click anything, which means you die.
  • You need a Touch or Type keyboard and mouse, or a USB 3.0 Hub and a KBM Combo. - Playing this game with the Pen is near impossible, not to mention torture on your wrist.
  • You will need to download the App from the Microsoft Store that disables the Touchpad on the Type or Touch (unless you're using it). If you play with traditional gamer positioning, your thumb will be on the space bar which leads to a lot of false input. It gets old really fast.
  • [li]< for formatting.

So there you have it. My two cents on what you need to play Diablo 3 on the Surface. As I said above, it isn't the fastest gaming mobile device in existence, but it CAN play the game... just not with all the bells and whistles that people have said it can. Some people who write should honestly talk to real people before they put words to paper.

Aside from those gripes, the Tablet has stunning displays, and is great for my collegiate notes. I would recommend the product to others one Microsoft fixes a few key issues... which I won't discuss here.

Best of luck to you other Surface Pro users out there.
    Reply Quote
    Mate, try this,
    1. Prepare a usb key for windows 8/8.1
    2. Re-install the whole system by usb key uve prepared
    3. Update the drivers through the windows updates
    4. Copy and play ur diablo 3
    I ve tried it, and it worked out, but theres one thing i agree with u, surface pro could only run the game on low graphic setting, but for the resolution on 1920 1080 it works pretty good
    Reply Quote
    I play on a surface pro 1 daily, while its not on high settings, texture is still high and its fine to me.
    Reply Quote
    I use surface pro 2 to play my d3 and I meet some problem.
    1.sticky key or filter key: after I hold SHIFT key for a while, it becomes sticky.
    2.ESC works as Alt+Tab
    Could someone give me a solution?
    Thanks.
    Reply Quote
    08/29/2013 12:33 PMPosted by Fuyutsuki
    The Surface Pro is billed as being able to "play Diablo 3 on the game's high settings without compromising on performance." This is a lie.

Who billed the Surface as such?
    Reply Quote
    08/26/2014 10:32 AMPosted by Zildjian
    08/29/2013 12:33 PMPosted by Fuyutsuki
    The Surface Pro is billed as being able to "play Diablo 3 on the game's high settings without compromising on performance." This is a lie.

Who billed the Surface as such?

I agree. I've never heard Microsoft or Blizzard say this.
    Reply Quote
    My wife was told this in a Microsoft store earlier today. She called and told me and was super excited and ready to buy one. (she's not a techie) I knew it was bs immediately but checked around to make sure. Will run, but not very well.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]