Diablo® III

What build should I play?

I've been playing D3 for a few weeks now. I started out using a WW Barbarian as a suggestion from a friend I met on here, but slowly gravitated towards Wizard. I am enjoying Wizard a lot.

What build do you think would suit me most? In Diablo 2, I favored ice/slowing builds for almost all my characters. I typically like ranged classes or spell casters, except my Frost Paladin.

I try to get away from cookie cutter builds that everyone uses and do something on my own. I have heard so much about using a CM build or Archon. I was told by many that 90% of skills I've wanted to use were crap in Inferno. If half the skills are crap, then why bother having them there in the first place?

Again, I want to focus on slowing or freezing my enemies to make them pop. Gear suggestions or stats to look out for would be helpful, too.
Reply Quote
there are actually a lot of viable builds for wizards, efficiency and easy to build in lower mp while it's expensive to impossible in high mp, at least in efficiency as cm and archon.

they are still fun

like meteors
ss
disintegrate
blizzard
spectral blade
black ice
Reply Quote
*check, check* *check 1, check 2* *this forum on?*
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Dream-1371/hero/25998760

I'm showing an Archon heavy build but Im CM by default so...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#VQXhYT!Wgb!YZcccc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t3WZ4vYHm4
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9476737586

Well, sounds like SNS is what you are looking for, but look over this list of builds and play around. See what suits yer fancy, then gear for that particular build. High Vit/AR/Armor are a must for higher MPs no matter what the build really. Some builds just rely on more mitigation than others. Look for a way to sustain life though either LoH(rings, ammys, BT pants, S Crow) or LS wep. Anys, play around with builds. As a meteor man, and seeing that you like icy things.,.Check out Gcanums Comet/Meteor build ; )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07-6A4nvbno
Reply Quote
Yeah. I usually run with a barb friend of mine so he tanks a lot of stuff. I have been focusing on Vit/AR and Int for most of my stuff. I also look for Crit chance and damage. Someone mentioned if I plan on using cold spells that I should get a good set of Frosties. I will check out that video, too. I just need to find out what type of build suits me most.
Reply Quote
It isn't that almost all skills are useless, it's just that Archon and CM/WW are so very good, nothing else compares.

P.S. Don't get Frostburns. They're terrible. 20-30% more damage would be nice, but they lack all other damage boosting affixes (ASI, CD, CC, Int), so they're actually worse than standard rare or crafted gloves.
Edited by mzy#1101 on 8/28/2013 6:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@elfenlied

<(^^<)
Reply Quote
having a blast with Archon .. check out Jaetch's guide

With CM you get infinite frostnovas .. sexy time

CUZ LASERBEAMS!
Edited by Nabbs#1644 on 8/28/2013 9:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You should play a naked, pink haired tentacle monster.
Reply Quote
having a blast with Archon .. check out Jaetch's guide

With CM you get infinite frostnovas .. sexy time

CUZ LASERBEAMS!

Purple ball of death ftw!!!!
Reply Quote
i used the archon build to get my wizard to p100 way back in janruary. around that time i migrated to CM/WW then to SNS. Personally, I got sick of archon, but that was before the assisted kills buff.

I would not suggest going CM/WW as it is very difficult and tedious to gear around. SNS is even more difficult. Archon is what i would suggest to new players as it is fairly easy and inexpensive to gear for. Don't expect to be anywhere near Jaetch's level anytime soon or ever lol.

TLDR: try different builds and see which you like the best. I suggest you stick with one build, as collecting gear for muliple gear sets is expensive.
Reply Quote
check my build :D
Reply Quote
08/28/2013 09:51 AMPosted by BeerMan
TLDR: try different builds and see which you like the best. I suggest you stick with one build, as collecting gear for muliple gear sets is expensive.

I think this is the best advice to a new wiz could get. Try several different builds, with cheap gear, just to see if it fits the playstyle to you.

I geared CMWW, Archon, SleetStorm, Blizzard, Meteors (with WW and without WW), Arcane Orb+Hydra, etc...

The most fun, for me, is Meteors, with meteor shower. Damn, that's what a wizard power should look like. But it isn't group-friendly, as nobody can see what is going on on the screen anytime. :P

On playstyles:

1) Kiting (shoot, flee, attract monsters, duel with them): Arcane Orb with Hydras. Kiting is fun, if you are not concerned with paragon levels and killing stuff fast. The first time I played Diablo I kited a lot, and I felt like I was really fighting to survive the minions of hell. After a while, kiting gets boring, as you see other wizards melting things away.

2) Stay and tank on low range: SleetStorm is on my opinion the best for this. Cheap to gear, easy to play. It gives you the "I'm invincible" feeling.

3) High Survival with high Range (point and click and wait until they are dead): Archon / Hybrid Archon are the best. On lower MP's, they are cheap and very effective. On high MP's, they are easy to gear, but not cheap. Also gives the "I'm invincible" feeling.

4) The Button Smasher: CMWW or another variant, as SNS. Hard to gear, hard to master, but if done correctly, is overpowered. Not easy on the hands, though. Will require several buttons pressed at the same time, and will hurt you after a while.

5) Strategic thinking: Arcane Mines / any other arcane torrent build. Requires you to think about the gear (not so easy to gear, but not so hard either), has a "wind-up" time before killing stuff and requires some thought about what to do when you encounter a mob / elite. High DPS and nice to play, requires a little finesse you only encounter on certain players, as Loroese.

6) Run and gun (shoot something, run to the next pack, shoot again, forget them, etc...): Any Blizzard-based build. Fast to farm XP, effective, but some people may say it is boring. If you feel like a barb, but only has a wizard, this is the way to play.

That's my humble opinion, though. Do not take it by face value. :)
Reply Quote
Also, look at Yems build. Typical run-and-gun Blizzard with Disintegrate. :)
Reply Quote
08/28/2013 09:45 AMPosted by ChangBooster
You should play a naked, pink haired tentacle monster.

Can I go ONE DAY without hearing about the VMAs?
Reply Quote
Archon is the best
Reply Quote
08/29/2013 04:37 AMPosted by YORI
Archon is the best

nuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Reply Quote
08/28/2013 10:12 AMPosted by Machado
Also, look at Yems build. Typical run-and-gun Blizzard with Disintegrate. :)

I personally think Disintegrate + Blizzard is the most fun build for a wizard. Just not strong enough (yet - hint hint xpac.)
Reply Quote
08/29/2013 08:42 AMPosted by GunnersDream
I personally think Disintegrate + Blizzard is the most fun build for a wizard.

Indeed it is. Disintegrate / Chaos Nexus is a hell of a laser show, better to watch then Archon. I just don't like Blizzard animation, I think its too soft for what is suposed to be a snow storm.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]