Get the Desktop App for Battle.net Now
- All your games in 1 place
- Log in once
- Automatic game updates
I've been playing D3 for a few weeks now. I started out using a WW Barbarian as a suggestion from a friend I met on here, but slowly gravitated towards Wizard. I am enjoying Wizard a lot.
What build do you think would suit me most? In Diablo 2, I favored ice/slowing builds for almost all my characters. I typically like ranged classes or spell casters, except my Frost Paladin.
I try to get away from cookie cutter builds that everyone uses and do something on my own. I have heard so much about using a CM build or Archon. I was told by many that 90% of skills I've wanted to use were crap in Inferno. If half the skills are crap, then why bother having them there in the first place?
Again, I want to focus on slowing or freezing my enemies to make them pop. Gear suggestions or stats to look out for would be helpful, too.
there are actually a lot of viable builds for wizards, efficiency and easy to build in lower mp while it's expensive to impossible in high mp, at least in efficiency as cm and archon.
they are still fun
I'm showing an Archon heavy build but Im CM by default so...
Well, sounds like SNS is what you are looking for, but look over this list of builds and play around. See what suits yer fancy, then gear for that particular build. High Vit/AR/Armor are a must for higher MPs no matter what the build really. Some builds just rely on more mitigation than others. Look for a way to sustain life though either LoH(rings, ammys, BT pants, S Crow) or LS wep. Anys, play around with builds. As a meteor man, and seeing that you like icy things.,.Check out Gcanums Comet/Meteor build ; )
Yeah. I usually run with a barb friend of mine so he tanks a lot of stuff. I have been focusing on Vit/AR and Int for most of my stuff. I also look for Crit chance and damage. Someone mentioned if I plan on using cold spells that I should get a good set of Frosties. I will check out that video, too. I just need to find out what type of build suits me most.
It isn't that almost all skills are useless, it's just that Archon and CM/WW are so very good, nothing else compares.
P.S. Don't get Frostburns. They're terrible. 20-30% more damage would be nice, but they lack all other damage boosting affixes (ASI, CD, CC, Int), so they're actually worse than standard rare or crafted gloves.
Edited by mzy#1101 on 8/28/2013 6:57 AM PDT
i used the archon build to get my wizard to p100 way back in janruary. around that time i migrated to CM/WW then to SNS. Personally, I got sick of archon, but that was before the assisted kills buff.
I would not suggest going CM/WW as it is very difficult and tedious to gear around. SNS is even more difficult. Archon is what i would suggest to new players as it is fairly easy and inexpensive to gear for. Don't expect to be anywhere near Jaetch's level anytime soon or ever lol.
TLDR: try different builds and see which you like the best. I suggest you stick with one build, as collecting gear for muliple gear sets is expensive.
I think this is the best advice to a new wiz could get. Try several different builds, with cheap gear, just to see if it fits the playstyle to you.
I geared CMWW, Archon, SleetStorm, Blizzard, Meteors (with WW and without WW), Arcane Orb+Hydra, etc...
The most fun, for me, is Meteors, with meteor shower. Damn, that's what a wizard power should look like. But it isn't group-friendly, as nobody can see what is going on on the screen anytime. :P
1) Kiting (shoot, flee, attract monsters, duel with them): Arcane Orb with Hydras. Kiting is fun, if you are not concerned with paragon levels and killing stuff fast. The first time I played Diablo I kited a lot, and I felt like I was really fighting to survive the minions of hell. After a while, kiting gets boring, as you see other wizards melting things away.
2) Stay and tank on low range: SleetStorm is on my opinion the best for this. Cheap to gear, easy to play. It gives you the "I'm invincible" feeling.
3) High Survival with high Range (point and click and wait until they are dead): Archon / Hybrid Archon are the best. On lower MP's, they are cheap and very effective. On high MP's, they are easy to gear, but not cheap. Also gives the "I'm invincible" feeling.
4) The Button Smasher: CMWW or another variant, as SNS. Hard to gear, hard to master, but if done correctly, is overpowered. Not easy on the hands, though. Will require several buttons pressed at the same time, and will hurt you after a while.
5) Strategic thinking: Arcane Mines / any other arcane torrent build. Requires you to think about the gear (not so easy to gear, but not so hard either), has a "wind-up" time before killing stuff and requires some thought about what to do when you encounter a mob / elite. High DPS and nice to play, requires a little finesse you only encounter on certain players, as Loroese.
6) Run and gun (shoot something, run to the next pack, shoot again, forget them, etc...): Any Blizzard-based build. Fast to farm XP, effective, but some people may say it is boring. If you feel like a barb, but only has a wizard, this is the way to play.
That's my humble opinion, though. Do not take it by face value. :)
I personally think Disintegrate + Blizzard is the most fun build for a wizard. Just not strong enough (yet - hint hint xpac.)
Indeed it is. Disintegrate / Chaos Nexus is a hell of a laser show, better to watch then Archon. I just don't like Blizzard animation, I think its too soft for what is suposed to be a snow storm.
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.