08/28/2013 09:51 AMTLDR: try different builds and see which you like the best. I suggest you stick with one build, as collecting gear for muliple gear sets is expensive.
Posted by BeerMan
I think this is the best advice to a new wiz could get. Try several different builds, with cheap gear, just to see if it fits the playstyle to you.
I geared CMWW, Archon, SleetStorm, Blizzard, Meteors (with WW and without WW), Arcane Orb+Hydra, etc...
The most fun, for me, is Meteors, with meteor shower. Damn, that's what a wizard power should look like. But it isn't group-friendly, as nobody can see what is going on on the screen anytime. :P
1) Kiting (shoot, flee, attract monsters, duel with them): Arcane Orb with Hydras. Kiting is fun, if you are not concerned with paragon levels and killing stuff fast
. The first time I played Diablo I kited a lot, and I felt like I was really fighting to survive the minions of hell. After a while, kiting gets boring, as you see other wizards melting things away.
2) Stay and tank on low range: SleetStorm is on my opinion the best for this. Cheap to gear, easy to play. It gives you the "I'm invincible" feeling.
3) High Survival with high Range (point and click and wait until they are dead): Archon / Hybrid Archon are the best. On lower MP's, they are cheap and very effective. On high MP's, they are easy to gear, but not cheap. Also gives the "I'm invincible" feeling.
4) The Button Smasher: CMWW or another variant, as SNS. Hard to gear, hard to master, but if done correctly, is overpowered. Not easy on the hands, though. Will require several buttons pressed at the same time, and will hurt you after a while.
5) Strategic thinking: Arcane Mines / any other arcane torrent build. Requires you to think about the gear (not so easy to gear, but not so hard either), has a "wind-up" time before killing stuff and requires some thought about what to do when you encounter a mob / elite. High DPS and nice to play, requires a little finesse you only encounter on certain players, as Loroese.
6) Run and gun (shoot something, run to the next pack, shoot again, forget them, etc...): Any Blizzard-based build. Fast to farm XP, effective, but some people may say it is boring. If you feel like a barb, but only has a wizard, this is the way to play.
That's my humble opinion, though. Do not take it by face value. :)