Diablo® III

can we get a new look at offline mode for PC?

09/04/2013 09:46 AMPosted by omgitsbees
Once you understand what are the consequences for the game and the company for allowing lan or offline ,it's a nobrainer decision. Even you who in your ignorance try to say they should give you offline mode, would do the same in their position. (unless you're stupid)

You keep repeating this without being about to cite any specific examples or go into any actual detail. Adding an offline mode is a non-issue. It won't have any effect on the online portion of the game.

Online only was added to stop piracy.

NO. Online only was implemented to prevent people from having access to the entire games code. Many features, such as monster placement, movement, item drop rates, actual dropped items, chest, stash, etc etc are ALL handled server side and the PC install client has NON of that information.

Having an offline mode means all of that server side code must be installed on the clients PC in order to make the game function. This would make it 100 times easier for hackers to create hacks, cheats, dupes, etc for the online version. This is EXACTLY what happened to Diablo 2.

No one ever said that having it online would stop that 100% of the time (cuse I know that's going to be your next tired argument) but it's WAYYYY better then the situation ever was for Diablo 2.
Reply Quote
. It won't have any effect on the online portion of the game.

And piracy still needs to be stopped for future expansions. Piracy needs to be stopped all the time, even if you think youve sold the maximum amount of copies you could - which isn't ever gonna be the case.

The other effects is that if you have offline mode or lan for that matter then the server architecture and lots of other stuff is inside the client, which allows the hacking, but besides hacking it allows hackers and people to potentially create private servers or have information with which to crack/hack online game with much more ease.

Do you have any idea how many private servers SC1/WC3/D2 had? Thousands, so many it would just be too expensive to even consider dealing with them. Pirated million upon millions of times.
Reply Quote
09/04/2013 09:57 AMPosted by Alcovitch
No one ever said that having it online would stop that 100% of the time (cuse I know that's going to be your next tired argument) but it's WAYYYY better then the situation ever was for Diablo 2

Certainly not better for those of us that never played online. Those of us that played when we travelled, that love to play a single player game without lagging. But screw us.
Reply Quote
09/04/2013 10:00 AMPosted by ArmyofBono
No one ever said that having it online would stop that 100% of the time (cuse I know that's going to be your next tired argument) but it's WAYYYY better then the situation ever was for Diablo 2

Certainly not better for those of us that never played online. Those of us that played when we travelled, that love to play a single player game without lagging. But screw us.

This ISN'T a singleplayer offline game. Why did you buy it when you knew like a year before the game hit stores it was going to be online only to !@#$% about it later?

I don't lag in Diablo 3. Maybe talk to your ISP? Find another game to play while travelling, such as Torchlight 2.

And finally yes, screw you. They aren't going to give you all the server architecture and code so you can play while you travel at the cost of the games security for a fair playing field for the rest of us online.

This is a very easy tip for you to avoid this in the future. READ THE BOX. If it says "Requires an online connection" don't buy the game.
Reply Quote
Those of us that played when we travelled, that love to play a single player game without lagging. But screw us.

Those people still buy the game, and those that don't in grand scheme of things don't matter, as in, aren't worth screwing themselves for.
Edited by Frozenkex#1835 on 9/4/2013 10:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This ISN'T a singleplayer offline game.
Why did you buy it when you knew like a year before the game hit stores it was going to be online only to !@#$% about it later?
I don't lag in Diablo 3. Maybe talk to your ISP? Find another game to play while travelling, such as Torchlight 2.
And finally yes, screw you. They aren't going to give you all the server architecture and code so you can play while you travel at the cost of the games security for a fair playing field for the rest of us online.
This is a very easy tip for you to avoid this in the future. READ THE BOX. If it says "Requires an online connection" don't buy the game.

Someone forgot his pills today huh? I certainly read the box and accepted how the game was created. So much so that I purchased the CE as well as the digital download. Nowhere have I !@#$%ed about there not being an offline mode. I simply said it would be glorious to have that option.
Edited by ArmyofBono#1813 on 9/4/2013 10:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'd love an offline mode, but honestly, we aren't going to see it. People really think Jay Wilson is the reason this game is online only? Get real. It's Activision CEO Bobby Koticks that was behind the online only and RMAH. Here are some of his more famous quotes:

"We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games."

"I think we definitely have been able to instill the culture, the skepticism and pessimism and fear that you should have in an economy like we are in today. And so, while generally people talk about the recession, we are pretty good at keeping people focused on the deep depression."

"With respect to the franchises that don't have the potential to be exploited every year across every platform with clear sequel potential that can meet our objectives of over time becoming $100 million plus franchises, that's a strategy that has worked very well for us."

"And again, our strategy, narrow and deep, focus on properties that will sell to a very broad consumer base on the console -- those are strategies that seem to work well."

"there will continue to be opportunities for us to exploit the PC platform in ways that we haven't yet."

"It's harder to attract development talent to projects that are more speculative in the long run, and so what we found is that if you have a [need] for innovation in existing franchises, that's a recipe for margin expansion and you still need to have production of new original intellectual property, but you need to do it very, very selectively"

"And Tony, you know if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further."

Some of the more infamous and disturbing ones are highlighted in bold. He is the reason why D3 is the D3 we have today.
Reply Quote
What's to look at?

Console has been out for 2 days and we've already seen dupes and hero editors.
Why should this influence PC to take the same route?

Offline promotes greater levels of cheating and piracy. It's a no-win situation for Blizzard or any player who is looking for a somewhat 'fair' gameplay experience.
Reply Quote
What kind of brain damaged super flawed logic is this? The whole pc = online console = offline crap. Diablo was always an offline game before it was an online game! There is no reason why they cannot have an online/offline mode separate like in D2. The hacking people are referring to only applied to Open battle.net and not in realm play. They had it how it is now in D3 in D2 where it could save your characters online and hackers were pretty much instant banned. A few would slip in the cracks here and there but that happens now. Then they had the offline/lan modes, if those people want to hack let them that isn't hurting anyone else. They are going to do it anyways whether you like it or not or try to.
Edited by Darrgoth#1620 on 10/20/2013 4:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Its been a long time now since Blizzard stated their stance on a offline mode for the PC version. That basically came from Jay Wilson who said that a offline version was removed because Blizzard was worried about players being confused. We all know Jay Wilson had some pretty wacky idea's that weren't really backed up by reality at all.

You guys really cant say that piracy is a concern too, not when over 12,000,000 copies of the PC version have sold. Hacking isn't relevant either and a offline mode isn't going to all of a sudden make it easier.

Now that new leadership has taken charge of Diablo III, and so far they are moving the game in the right direction, fixing all of the really bad ideas that Jay Wilson had; I was hoping Blizzard would take another look at adding a offline mode for the game. Especially when the console versions have it.

Well by looking at the game that was delivered. Jay Wilson is a very good game director but not a good gaming director. They should of asked him how many lvl 99 characters he had that could solo 8 player games before hiring him.
Reply Quote
i play both the console and pc versions. but i when i feel like playing online with others i only do it on the pc version because of the hackers on the consoles.

and after seeing how easy it is for people to hack thing on the consoles. i no longer wish that there will be an offline version and glad that's it online only. so that i can enjoy the multiplayer part.

it kinda odd tho the loot drops are way better on the consoles, but the multiplayer part is way better on the pc version due to it being online only! go figure :/
Reply Quote
View profile
No ty
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
You will never, ever see an offline D3 version for the PC because the consoles are getting hacked like crazy (all the databases are on the consoles and not on the online server).

What Blizzard could do instead is create a separate and totally optional SFcore Self-found mode of play where there is no trading, nor dropping of items for other players, or Auction Houses, or any possibly way that anyone can cheat, abuse, or destroy the new environment. A way to play where people can play together and find or make all of their own items vice duping, hacking, buying, trading, etc.

Please, again with this moronic sf junk. The ah's are gone. I'm sorry but to keep this stupid idea up at this point is just lame. Why would you even want to play together if there is no interaction.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
10/20/2013 04:47 PMPosted by Darrgoth
What kind of brain damaged super flawed logic is this? The whole pc = online console = offline crap. Diablo was always an offline game before it was an online game! There is no reason why they cannot have an online/offline mode separate like in D2. The hacking people are referring to only applied to Open battle.net and not in realm play. They had it how it is now in D3 in D2 where it could save your characters online and hackers were pretty much instant banned. A few would slip in the cracks here and there but that happens now. Then they had the offline/lan modes, if those people want to hack let them that isn't hurting anyone else. They are going to do it anyways whether you like it or not or try to.

The ton od illegal, pirated, modded D2 servers should be enough to to give any reasonable person a clue as to why there should never be an offline mode. It is to prevent the piracy as opposed to the the hacking. However it addresses both.

Why should Blizzard give they're game to the pirates. Thast would be like you building up a food market and then having people ask you to give the food away.
Reply Quote
No. Stop asking.
Reply Quote

You keep repeating this without being about to cite any specific examples or go into any actual detail. Adding an offline mode is a non-issue. It won't have any effect on the online portion of the game.

NO. Online only was implemented to prevent people from having access to the entire games code. Many features, such as monster placement, movement, item drop rates, actual dropped items, chest, stash, etc etc are ALL handled server side and the PC install client has NON of that information.

Having an offline mode means all of that server side code must be installed on the clients PC in order to make the game function. This would make it 100 times easier for hackers to create hacks, cheats, dupes, etc for the online version. This is EXACTLY what happened to Diablo 2.

No one ever said that having it online would stop that 100% of the time (cuse I know that's going to be your next tired argument) but it's WAYYYY better then the situation ever was for Diablo 2.

Still better than not playing at all because of lag. As long as offline & online are kept separate, what does it matter?
Edited by Meltdown#1314 on 10/21/2013 2:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
The online only is not because of Jay, the AH or anything else. In fact recently Blizz has said no offline mode. After making the announcement of shutting down the AHs this article was posted.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/18/despite-auction-house-removal-diablo-staying-online-only/

Below is a quote from that article.

“We do not have plans to implement an offline mode. While the always-online requirement made the auction house possible, the auction house was never the driving factor in our decision to make the PC version of Diablo III require an Internet connection. The game was built from the ground up to take full advantage of Battle.net, which provides a number of important benefits, including persistent server-side character saves, a seamless PC multiplayer experience, cheat prevention, and Real ID and BattleTag social features.”

All of the above features need online only that is why we will not see an offline mode.

If offline mode was available then we would see perfect emulation servers that pirates would be using to make money off of this product. Money that belongs to Blizz, money that could be used to make the game even better.

Duping would explode to new heights as well as botting. Right now the only ones that can write cheating programs are ones that knows what they are doing. The real experts are the only ones that can do it. But that opens up with an offline mode, meaning that a trained chimp could write cheat programs.
Reply Quote
Sorry but I won't spend any more money on an always online game where they can add and remove core features of the game whenever they like. I'm not for DRM always online advocate for sure.
Reply Quote
While I do not 100% support the always online requirement, I see why it is needed.

If my decision alone would dictate whether D3 will have an offline mode, my answer would be NO.

An offline mode will bring more problems to the game and players. So I choose the lesser evil, and I choose to be happy about it.

All you whiners just need to shut up.
Reply Quote
09/04/2013 09:43 AMPosted by Frozenkex
Once you understand what are the consequences for the game and the company for allowing lan or offline ,it's a nobrainer decision. Even you who in your ignorance try to say they should give you offline mode, would do the same in their position. (unless you're stupid)

You know, it's funny, but I know of plenty of companies whose PC games are playable offline, and they are doing just fine. Must be my imagination I guess.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]