Diablo® III

How many cookie cutters are left?

Have most monks left for EP or Bells?

How far is the cookie cutter (including Combo Strike variants) behind the other builds in terms of efficiency and killing power?

Does it still deserve to be called the cookie cutter?

Personally, I still prefer CS for the immensely satisfying punching/sweeping experience.
Edited by rahl#6100 on 9/4/2013 6:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Been tri gen since for ever!

Tried Nirvana, Tried the others, my Fav is still Tri Gen!

-Ach
Reply Quote
I'm still making cookies! :D

Though I was never exactly a normal shaped cookie cutter, I'm still my own variant and holding tight. I enjoy my build.
Reply Quote
Been tri gen since for ever!

Tried Nirvana, Tried the others, my Fav is still Tri Gen!

-Ach

So tempted now to go trigen again ;)
Reply Quote
I'm still making cookies! :D

Though I was never exactly a normal shaped cookie cutter, I'm still my own variant and holding tight. I enjoy my build.

You are a seven sided cookie, fast baked.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aXhgdS!UTZ!abcabc

Still going cookie-ish. There's so many different kinds of cookies, though. My current build only uses 5 out of the 9 truly old-school "official" cookie-cutter skills. But I'd still call it a cookie.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aXhgdS!UTZ!abcabc

Still going cookie-ish. There's so many different kinds of cookies, though. My current build only uses 5 out of the 9 truly old-school "official" cookie-cutter skills. But I'd still call it a cookie.

Yeah agree with you ;)
Reply Quote
I'm pretty cookie cutter'ish
Reply Quote
This is the only spec ive ever played, when im not doing mp10 i change serenity for blind. Combination strike is fun. I'm tempted to tri a tri-gen version of this build though it seems like I would enjoy it if i could get used to it.
Reply Quote
09/04/2013 08:52 AMPosted by Eiaat

No, you're not. Anyone supplementing their damage output with Bells isn't a cookie, in the classical sense of that term. You may be a neo-cookie, although I prefer to classify this sort of build as fruitcake.
Reply Quote
View profile
This still what folks consider cookie?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aYkXgS!UaX!acabYc

I remember that from when sweeping wind snapshotted.
Reply Quote
This still what folks consider cookie?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aYkXgS!UaX!acabYc

I remember that from when sweeping wind snapshotted.

Pretty much. That''s the original "old-school cookie". "Old reliable" as it's been called, although virtually no one will run Resolve anymore, even if going for a cookie-type build.

Although, more generally it also refers to a build using Sweeping Winds:Cyclone, usually Fist of Thunder and a bunch of skills to buff DPS, with no big AoE spirit spenders or extra spirit generation. If you're only using spirit to spend on abilities with cool downs and to spam your mantra, you're essentially running a cookie cutter build.

It's a weird artifact of how the term developed, and a little contradictory, that there are now so many variants of the "cookie cutter". (Many with Combo Strike, for example). But honestly, if you don't have a no-cooldown AoE spirit spender like Cyclone Strike, Exploding Palm, or Wave of Light, you're more thrown into the cookie jar.

If I had to guess the most common build being played with (or the build that had the most in common with the largest number of builds) to be the "new cookie-cutter", it would probably be something like:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aekYdS!UbX!abacbc
Reply Quote
09/04/2013 09:35 AMPosted by Laurelynd

No, you're not. Anyone supplementing their damage output with Bells isn't a cookie, in the classical sense of that term. You may be a neo-cookie, although I prefer to classify this sort of build as fruitcake.

mmm fruitcake...anyway, the way I look at it is cookie builds had defensive passives, a spirit generator, a spirit spender, and at least one "oh noez" button...the build I run usually has all those elements so I consider it "cookie'ish" perhaps it has more dried fruit than you might like, but it is hard to beat its rum soaked goodness.
Reply Quote
Maybe I'm being overly pedantic but I think you guys are losing sight of just what "cookie cutter" means. Tons of variation is the opposite of a cookie cutter. I might still allow the term if there was the occasional rune change or swapping one defensive for another defensive but that's about it. If anything, what you guys are describing are a combination of must have skills and logical skill choice.

Everyone always talks about what a must have OWE is until you have enough gold to buy your way out of it but the real offender of must haves is Sweeping Wind. Is there a build that doesn't have it? It's just too good to never take. Thus every build has it. BoH, a defensive skill that also buffs damage by 15%. I've seen a couple builds without but it is almost as ubiquitous as SW.

That's 3 out of 9 total skill slots that just about everyone is going to have. Combine that with a guaranteed spirit generator and an aura and all builds are going to look at least a little similar. There's just not enough skill choices for it to be otherwise.
Reply Quote
09/04/2013 06:30 AMPosted by rahl
EP
But speed palm
Reply Quote
Laurelynd and I were running a hardcore game yesterday, as I recall. She used EP and did not use SW. It rocked hard.
Reply Quote
09/04/2013 05:38 PMPosted by Vrkhyz
Laurelynd and I were running a hardcore game yesterday, as I recall. She used EP and did not use SW. It rocked hard.

Me? In HC? With EP? And no SW? Well, as I live and breathe! You must be seriously confusing me with someone else. (%
Reply Quote
09/04/2013 09:32 AMPosted by gusterfan
This is the only spec ive ever played, when im not doing mp10 i change serenity for blind. Combination strike is fun. I'm tempted to tri a tri-gen version of this build though it seems like I would enjoy it if i could get used to it.

Trigen is awesome but I find myself in all sorts of affix hell without an escape route or controller like DS, Serenity or Cyclone Strike. FitL might be all you need though.

09/04/2013 09:35 AMPosted by Laurelynd

No, you're not. Anyone supplementing their damage output with Bells isn't a cookie, in the classical sense of that term. You may be a neo-cookie, although I prefer to classify this sort of build as fruitcake.[/quote]

mmm fruitcake...anyway, the way I look at it is cookie builds had defensive passives, a spirit generator, a spirit spender, and at least one "oh noez" button...the build I run usually has all those elements so I consider it "cookie'ish" perhaps it has more dried fruit than you might like, but it is hard to beat its rum soaked goodness.

Maybe I'm being overly pedantic but I think you guys are losing sight of just what "cookie cutter" means. Tons of variation is the opposite of a cookie cutter. I might still allow the term if there was the occasional rune change or swapping one defensive for another defensive but that's about it. If anything, what you guys are describing are a combination of must have skills and logical skill choice.

It's a weird artifact of how the term developed, and a little contradictory, that there are now so many variants of the "cookie cutter". (Many with Combo Strike, for example). But honestly, if you don't have a no-cooldown AoE spirit spender like Cyclone Strike, Exploding Palm, or Wave of Light, you're more thrown into the cookie jar.

Yes except I wouldn't call CS a spender, unless you are spamming it. E.g. I use CS too but it is a supplementary skill, but the main offensive weapon cf. Bells or EP. I still despatch mobs through punching and sweeping.

To the others, a cookie cutter for me is a standard and efficient build that is easy to gear and play. I think the punching/sweeping style is no longer the cookie cutter, since bells are as easy to use and probably faster with greater damage. EP too, although you can argue about being easy since people do tag the same monsters or find it longer to despatch yellows.
Reply Quote
View profile
Do you smellelelelelelel what the Cap'n is cookin'?!

It's cookies!

Cheers,
The Rock-
Reply Quote
I'm cookie, just replaced Breath of Heaven for Exploding Palm. That's pretty much my spirit spender excluding the initial Sweeping Wind startup cost.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]