Diablo® III

Paragon & RoS (fresh start?)

TLDR: Question for all... Since current paragon levels will transition into the new paragon system, does anyone feel like they might be missing out on something (an experience) when RoS hits? By that I mean, you won't be starting fresh, and you'll have a nice cushion of paragon pts(?) to plug into all your max level characters (i.e. soft reset).

I ask, because I'm torn... I love starting fresh. For instance, those first few months of D3 (or any good game) are memories that I'll cherish. Starting fresh, with little or no knowledge of whats to come, and having a character where the content is actually challenging/fun.

Also, Ladder Resets were a huge part of that starting fresh feeling you could get over and over in D2. They were the closest you could get to that 'first day' feeling.

In many cases when an expansion comes out, the previous top items and levels are essentially beginner again (i.e. hard reset). But with the new Paragon system in place, no matter how obsolete your gear and level are... you will still have the ability to buff your characters' stats. With no 'ladder' in sight, RoS seems to be the one chance we have to get that starting fresh feeling.

As I stated, I love that 'starting from scratch' feeling and think that's how an expansion should feel, as if it was 5/15/12 all over again. This is the main reason I deleted all my characters; I wanted to start fresh when/if the expansion hit. But since the announcement of P2.0 and RoS, I recently leveled up all classes to 60 (still working the barb), so I have characters at the ready. (see above statement: I'm torn)

And before anyone takes this too serious... I know I can start over on a new account or region, that's not my point in this thread. I'm curious to see what others think, with similar memories of a Vanilla [insert game title].
Edited by Opiate#1943 on 9/4/2013 8:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It honestly doesn't affect me much. I play SF, but a very lax SF where I let my more advanced toons to give some LIMITED help to the newer ones, so it will just increase that a bit.

I can understand where you're coming from though.
Reply Quote
View profile
I've been lvling a barb in europe recently during patch outages, I expect to have a a few 60's with no paragon lvls in both europe and asia by the time ROS comes out. Should be fun to mess around with. The problem is, when those new items show up you will absolutely want to find some ASAP so that you can farm more of them more easily and/or so that you can sell them to the rich people who have been hoarding cash in anticipation of the expansion.
Reply Quote
If it is anything like diablo 2, then the current experience you gain is minuscule compared to the experience you will be able to gain. In diablo 2 you basically hit a wall at around 88(don't remember exactly) or something pre expansion. So a few people might have entered the expansion with a 5 level lead over others but nothing significant.

If blizzard has half a brain then your paragons won't be transitioning to RoS, your experience will convert into actual paragons. In other words, if someone has 400 paragons levels now it will likely convert to 125(completely random number) paragons. It should go by account experience too not living heroes. No one will have a huge advantage when first starting the expansion but most will have the required paragons to effectively explore the new areas. You don't need a fresh start because the expansion is the next level you need the gear and paragons you currently have to be effective at first.
Reply Quote
I have played too many hours to want a completely fresh start.

The closest thing I'll get to a fresh start is leveling up a Crusader and taking him through the game.
Reply Quote
If you want a fresh start why not just kill all your paragon characters and start fresh? Or am I missing something?
Reply Quote
If it is anything like diablo 2, then the current experience you gain is minuscule compared to the experience you will be able to gain. In diablo 2 you basically hit a wall at around 88(don't remember exactly) or something pre expansion. So a few people might have entered the expansion with a 5 level lead over others but nothing significant.

If blizzard has half a brain then your paragons won't be transitioning to RoS, your experience will convert into actual paragons. In other words, if someone has 400 paragons levels now it will likely convert to 125(completely random number) paragons. It should go by account experience too not living heroes. No one will have a huge advantage when first starting the expansion but most will have the required paragons to effectively explore the new areas. You don't need a fresh start because the expansion is the next level you need the gear and paragons you currently have to be effective at first.

You are probably right, RoS should be an exponential increase in everything to make it feel challenging to even those people with 10 x p100s. And LoD was very much in that vein; I just have a hard time believing that the D3 team even knows what D2 was these days (call me cynical).

I only brought this up because I see a lot of people hitting p100 on one or multiple characters now, and Blizzard already stated that Paragon lvls will convert in P2.0. It led me to thinking about how permanent account wide Paragon levels might affect upcoming expansions; the expansion might be a mild to soft reset instead of a hard reset.

I'll probably keep my current 60s for RoS, but may choose to switch regions to truly start fresh when RoS hits (i.e. Bryan's solution).
Reply Quote
09/04/2013 08:30 AMPosted by Shunsin
If you want a fresh start why not just kill all your paragon characters and start fresh? Or am I missing something?

Haha... yeah, that's almost exactly what I did (deleted them).

But at this point, we don't know how Paragon 2.0 will be calculated... whether it will account for dead, archived, and/or deleted characters. So it could be that Blizzard takes all experience earned on an account (including all dead, archived, & deleted), and uses that to calculate your P2.0 level.

Note, I don't necessarily consider myself in the majority; deleting anything you've put hours/days into is not something easily done. And, many may not understand my desire for starting fresh, or a hard reset.
Edited by Opiate#1943 on 9/4/2013 8:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
i think i feel the same as lefrench duke. that with XP moving towards the new system (instead of 2 p100s =p200), i dont think we'll see people with gamebreaking boosts from the get go. it'll be a new system too, so perhaps dumping all your points into cc/cd wont be the best way to gear a character. i think at first we'll see some deaths and some poorly set up paragon points before people start to hit on the more ideal combinations.

that being said, im also a huge fan of starting over. its why i came to hardcore in the first place. so i guess im also torn on how i feel right now. while i think it would be fun to start over completely, like bryan said im also looking forward to just diving into act 5 inferno.
hardcore is sometimes just a bit different than most RPGs. i like that the game is transitioning more towards rewarding people for playing , so it doesnt solely reflect who has the biggest pockets. (i mean i made all my gold selling items, and am quite proud of it. but look at sorrid from my perspective, im not even close to being in his league)

i guess its a fresh start, but not completely fresh. we'll still be adjusting to the new patch, we'll all be level 60 and finding out how to get to level 70, if at level 64 ill be able to beat the next mystery boss etc. i mean imagine fighting belial on mp5-7. now imagine youve never seen belial before and are outside his door on mp5-7. thats what im hoping for in terms of new content :)
Reply Quote
It's highly unlikely they will count dead, deleted, or archived characters in paragon conversion. They probably don't store any information on how much experience that character had other than the last deleted character that you can undo.

Additionally, dead and deleted characters currently do not bring any benefit to your account so in essence there is nothing to convert.
Reply Quote
View profile

The closest thing I'll get to a fresh start is leveling up a Crusader and taking him through the game.

I admit that I'm pretty excited about this. My barbs are lonely!

@ isolation: Imagine taking your gabiemabell with all your best gear into ROS act 5 for the first time...sounds like fun!
Edited by Bryanw1995#1913 on 9/4/2013 9:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It's highly unlikely they will count dead, deleted, or archived characters in paragon conversion. They probably don't store any information on how much experience that character had other than the last deleted character that you can undo.

Additionally, dead and deleted characters currently do not bring any benefit to your account so in essence there is nothing to convert.

Whether or not dead, deleted, characters will count is anyone's guess, but one thing I can guarantee you is that they store ALL information. Not only is all information stored but audits of that information are also stored. The only issue would be sometimes information is archived in an inefficient table and hard to retrieve.

However, dead characters should count because they will count in the future.
Edited by LEFRENCHDUKE#1370 on 9/4/2013 9:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile

Whether or not dead, deleted, characters will count is anyone's guess, but one thing I can guarantee you is that they store ALL information. Not only is all information stored but audits of that information are also stored. The only issue would be sometimes information is archived in an inefficient table and hard to retrieve.

However, dead characters should count because they will count in the future.

Based upon current speculation, it probably won't matter, anyway. Have 3 dead p100's and 2 living ones? Start at either p108 or p115 (or whatever)...not much of a difference.
Reply Quote

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Otherwise, they would have already told us that only living characters will count towards P2.0. What has been said, "it is still to be determined"... leads me to believe they have the capability... just deciding on what works best.
Reply Quote
I've been lvling a barb in europe recently during patch outages, I expect to have a a few 60 BARBS with no paragon lvls in both europe and asia by the time ROS comes out. Should be fun to mess around with. The problem is, when those new items show up you will absolutely want to find some ASAP so that you can farm more of them more easily and/or so that you can sell them to the rich people who have been hoarding cash in anticipation of the expansion.

Fixed.
Reply Quote
View profile
09/04/2013 10:26 AMPosted by frosted
I've been lvling a barb in europe recently during patch outages, I expect to have a a few 60 BARBS with no paragon lvls in both europe and asia by the time ROS comes out. Should be fun to mess around with. The problem is, when those new items show up you will absolutely want to find some ASAP so that you can farm more of them more easily and/or so that you can sell them to the rich people who have been hoarding cash in anticipation of the expansion.

Fixed.

Come join me in an a2 game later. Let me, um, er, "check things out in town" before you join, however...
Reply Quote
Yeah, once Paragon 2.0 comes, I'm going to miss the clean slate you get from starting a new character fresh. I'm just looking at my poor (alt) WD and lamenting the fact that the best way to improve him is to play (main) Monk. They mention "targeted drops" and all that jazz, but with an AH to convert gear from one form to another, that's really a non-functional band-aid on the problem. My Monk is still better at earning WD gear.

It would be nice if we could get a little piece of starting over in the expansion. From what I understand (and I could be wrong here), unlike D2, the expansion characters are going to be able to mingle with the vanilla characters. This seems wrong. I'd love if you needed to convert your characters to the expansion account, and you're sitting at paragon 0 over on that expansion account when you start. At least I would feel I could start my account over, even if I can't truely ever start a new character.

Plus, putting everyone back at square one (at least in terms of XP) would be fun, especially watching as people race to be the first p100 account again or whatever. Who wants to watch a race where a bunch of people get a huge head start?
Reply Quote
View profile

I admit that I'm pretty excited about this. My barbs are lonely!

@ isolation: Imagine taking your gabiemabell with all your best gear into ROS act 5 for the first time...sounds like fun!

yes it does sound like fun :D, and thats exactly what i intend on doing

09/04/2013 12:11 PMPosted by Demiwraith
Plus, putting everyone back at square one (at least in terms of XP) would be fun, especially watching as people race to be the first p100 account again or whatever. Who wants to watch a race where a bunch of people get a huge head start?

i see it more like people joining the race late and wanting to just start where everyone else is. while i get your point, i see this as only helping NEW players, while punishing the long time players, the super fans.

to me its like demanding to be entered into the race when there are people who have been training for a long time to get where they are. its the same as the ladder argument imo, like a sudden ladder reset it all thats holding a casual player back from being #1 in the server
Reply Quote
Are you actually planning on going hardcore inferno act 5 with your main?

What if the boss is like a stronger belial?

And inferno difficulty will probably be buffed by a lot to acomodate the lvl70 items

I think i´ll run a crusader on normal and see the act 5 in normal first, probably with a party of 4 crusaders cuz there´s no doubt this will happen when RoS comes out
Reply Quote
View profile
Are you actually planning on going hardcore inferno act 5 with your main?

i dont see why not. granted i havent read much how the difficulty will be, but i would assume that at least the begginning of act 5 must be doable, otherwise how could we be expected to start leveling towards 70, and upgrading our gear if even stepping foot into act 5 is sure death.

What if the boss is like a stronger belial?

than im gonna have a blast ;)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]