Diablo® III

the new expansion

(Locked)

lets say i dont buy expansion but continue to play diablo 3 as it is....

will i have the lvl 70 cap, p2.0, loot2.0, do i get to play with everyone else still?

basically, what happens to players that dont buy the expansion but still play actively?
anyone?
I believe that without buying the expansion you will get loot 2.0, paragon 2.0, loot runs and nephalem trials. I think you need the xpac for the new level cap, act 5 and the Crusader.
ok, so some things will come pre-loaded when expansion comes out and then if you want the "rest" you will have to buy it.. i.e. crusader and act 5
Don't forget the Mystic. I'm pretty sure that is also an xpac exclusive.
Community Manager
09/05/2013 01:50 PMPosted by pocahontas
ok, so some things will come pre-loaded when expansion comes out and then if you want the "rest" you will have to buy it.. i.e. crusader and act 5
Before the expansion is released, we intend to have a pre-patch that will implement many of the new systems and features we’ve talked about for Diablo III for free. We want to make improvements to the core gameplay experience for all players, but at this time we don’t have a full list on which features will be included in this free update and which will be exclusive to the expansion.

The features we’re looking to require the Reaper of Souls expansion are the new Crusader class, Act V, the Mystic, and progressing beyond the current level cap (level 60).
09/05/2013 03:15 PMPosted by Wxmyjnsn
The features we’re looking to require the Reaper of Souls expansion are the new Crusader class, Act V, the Mystic, and progressing beyond the current level cap (level 60).

seems fair.

Fair if there arent any plans to withhold true game fixes until the expansion is bought. Vaeflare....please note and please let the developers know that there are a lot of people out there who really have given up on D3 in its current state. There are also people like me who have hope that it can be fixed but have a really bitter taste from what this game was promised to be and where it landed. I have talked to many friends of mine about the expansion, friends who have walked away from the game completely. The overall impression I get from everyone is that it feels like a joke that Blizzard wants to sell more content when the content already out there is broken. This really needs to be fixed before you can pull these fans back to the game.
If you still play actively, why wouldn´t you buy the expansion?
Mystic should be included pre-xpac. You'll see, people are basically going to feel compelled to get xpac for this reason. It's like having vanilla without a jewelcrafter.
Telling people that they can play a game and make money is a good reason for a lot of players to hold out. Because we all know that only a small number of people were able to make money from the game. That only lasted for a small amount of time and then it was less often. Not only that key features like PVP were taken out of the game FOR LAME REASONS. Players were told the game HAD to stay ONLINE ONLY to prevent cheating and It did very little to prevent cheating. The Economy on the US servers is totally trashed.
I like the game but the best way to get people back to the PC version is to make it a lot better and to make the game play FAIR, AWESOME, and REWARDING. BEFORE there is a need to buy an expansion pack that most feel will not even change the game much and is thought of as just ANOTHER money grab. This new free content should be released WAY before the expansion is even available.
Not only this but there is just way too much money that can go into advertising when everyone already knows about the game. Some of that money would be better spent on making the game better and fair for all players that are here and have been here.
Edited by Skunkleaf#1838 on 9/5/2013 4:14 PM PDT
09/05/2013 03:10 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Before the expansion is released, we intend to have a pre-patch that will implement many of the new systems and features we’ve talked about for Diablo III for free. We want to make improvements to the core gameplay experience for all players, but at this time we don’t have a full list on which features will be included in this free update and which will be exclusive to the expansion.

thank you for the info
You'll see, people are basically going to feel compelled to get xpac for this reason.

#1- Hi, welcome to marketing.
#2- Hi, welcome to business.
#3- Hi, welcome to video game
expansion backs that have exclusive features
that make you want to buy it, thus supporting
the company and future content/games.
Well, personally I won't be buying the expansion until I see present issues fixed. I don't care if they added 5 classes to it. What is here, is STILL broken in many ways. I have no reason to waste another penny on this game ESPECIALLY when it means all I have obtained, will be salvaged within a day or 2 of the expansion.

I'm "content" with what I have, even if it is broken. I'm not about to PAY for more BROKEN mechanics, let alone the BROKEN PROMISES of X Y & Z will be included/mentioned just for them to take it out right before release....like they did with this 10 year project we currently play.

I've always supported Blizzard, until Diablo 3. I won't spend more money on Blizzard products until I get the REST of what I was told I was going to get from the beginning.
And I have PLENTY of friends who I know personally who have quit, and aren't coming back. I know plenty who aren't buying the expansion because the little bit they do play, they don't feel their original $60 has been justified due to broken promises/lack of implementation of what was SAID to be there on release. My brother bought the console version, and returned it when I told him I wasn't buying it. I told him I have the PC version, and it's got enough issues that I don't want to see the console version, taking more of my time/money, I'd rather play an entire different game (and I have already mostly stopped playing D3, just occasional check in on friends to chat, and if a patch came that actually fixed something) than to waste time on D3, when I can be truly satisfied by another game, for receiving the things I was told I would receive in terms of game play.
09/05/2013 06:05 PMPosted by Gaiaghost
I'm not about to PAY for more BROKEN mechanics,

What mechanic is currently broken?

The broken promises thing I get with PvP.
But all the game mechanics seem to work.

I have a concern with some of this and I'd like to address it to make the most of the options we have so far to make Reaper of Souls the best it can be. Mainly this ties into the Mystic and extra 10 levels. Simply put, "buying power". This term is often brought up in the gaming industry and most developers do everything in their power to avoid this. Reason being, your giving a subset of players both a level and gear advantage for a price. Buying power in games, mainly online ones, can be very disruptive. Offline games, this has no real down side, but when your within an online community such as Diablo 3, your going to have competitive players and the ones that do not have the expansion (Reaper of Souls) for what ever reason can and will feel shunned over the loss of the power gains the others have. For casual gamers this is less a problem but it can leave a strong impact on them as well.

Now, granted, Player vs Player content is a huge factor when it comes to selling power, though it does not alleviate the problem with-in Player vs Environment content. It is just heavily abusive in PvP where as it can often times escape notice in PvE. PvP is only a small room where players brawl it out at this time, but with the many players that enjoy a more open ended PvP content, the selling of power such as stated above will divide the players into the 'Haves" and "Have Nots". There is no game in existence where this has turned out good for both player types.
By selling power through Reaper of Souls, your not only hitting the competitive community as it stands but the potential PvP/competitive community in the future.

That said, I'd think a better way to address this is to exchange the level cap and Mystic for a couple other things such as end game content like Loot Runs and the portals left by other players (sorry, forgot what these were called) that add challenge runs. You want people to buy the expansion because they want more to do in the Diablo universe, not because they have to to equal out a disadvantage.

TL:DR - Level cap and the Mystic for the expansion is akin to selling power. Selling power to an online community/game leads to dire consequences in more then most (if not all) cases. Moving a couple things like Loot Runs to the expansion in exchange for the Level-cap and Mystic gives the expansion more end game options and more diversity in exchange for selling power as a means to make Reaper of Souls a "want" rather then a "need". Sorry for the long read, but I really want the expansion and "Loot 2.0" to be everything we could hope for and more.
I want what is best for the players, the old, the new the ones that quit and looking for a reason to come back and the ones that have stuck it out over the past year.

Blizzard, we still believe in you, many of us say we don't, we show our anger and desperation but we are still here, we are still watching...waiting...hoping. Even though some of us won't admit it, we still believe Blizzard is here for us.
Edited by PalmtopTiger#1832 on 9/5/2013 6:36 PM PDT
09/05/2013 03:31 PMPosted by Tubs
If you still play actively, why wouldn´t you buy the expansion?

Because putting a lot of time into the game and having a sense of power is completely destroyed by introducing an expansion. It doesn't make my experience better. It makes it worse. Starting over only invalidates all of the work I've put in.
The update before RoS is more generous than the update before D2:LoD....which honestly at that time was a Hell of a lot of nerfs and killed a lot of play styles. Here we're seeing a lot of more possibilities in a positive way that affects how we game, i.e. things will not suck but be better.

I'll give Blizzard this round *slow clap*
so we have to pay for the expansion, that's just sad. you would think a good marketing strategy would be to make this first one free to entice old and new d3 players to return then hit us with a bill on the next expansion. sad sad sad oh well lol
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]