Diablo® III

DIABLO 2 FANS

so iv been reading alot on forums how people wish diablo 3 was more like diablo 2 but iv never played diablo 2 can some one explain the good parts in diablo 2 that they would like to see in diablo 3?
Reply Quote
Better, more fun and open maps, better skills. Better loot x10. 8 player party online.
Better storyline x10.
some off the top of my head.
Edited by Ins#2510 on 9/7/2013 3:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Diablo 2 was not blessed with an auction house, so players had to put on a magnifier glass and sort through flooded trade spam chat for hours instead..

Also diablo 2 had horrible skill trees, nothing was viable for the endgame except a few build paths. It had no way of respec, so if you misclicked once, you would have to reroll character if you wanted to be efficient.

Diablo 2 was all about power rush into power runs. Could get rushed and become lvl 70 area in a few days. Everyones endgame gear was identical as well.

But what was amazing for diablo 2, was the PvP. Could spend hours dueling outside of town.
Reply Quote
People are mostly upset because they can't use hacks as easily and PK(grief) people while they are leveling up.

Basically, they are just whining for the sake of whining.
Reply Quote
09/07/2013 03:09 PMPosted by Crizaig
Basically, they are just whining for the sake of whining.

This. some of them have rose colored glasses on, others just want to be cool. But any time someone asks for the game to be more like D2, ask them "how?" and they'll either dodge the question or not answer at all.

I can count the number of things that D2 did better on one hand.
Reply Quote
OP is asking for the good parts about Diablo 2, apparently you didn't even read his post before placing that garbage. Who said anything about whiners? Why did i come to this godforsaken place..
Bye.
Reply Quote

Also diablo 2 had horrible skill trees, nothing was viable for the endgame except a few build paths. It had no way of respec, so if you misclicked once, you would have to reroll character if you wanted to be efficient.

Diablo 2 was all about power rush into power runs. Could get rushed and become lvl 70 area in a few days. Everyones endgame gear was identical as well.

For someone with the name Diablo2PVPER, you sure are uneducated about Diablo 2 mechanics.

The skill trees actually gave way more build diversity than Diablo 3 could even fathom at this moment.

Have you never heard of the Token of Absolution which allows a full respec in Diablo 2?

It literally took about 3-4 hours to get rushed to level 80 and doing end game content.
Reply Quote
open maps would be fun. id support that [if it had its own ah and and a pvp zones]

pvp sounds nice to i would love that. but it would be really cool if you killed some one you got there stuff like in runescape and you had pvp zones like "wild" areas where the deeper you go the chances a higher level character can attack you .. like lvl 1 wild would mean any one a level below you and a lvl higher then you could attack and level 50 wild would mean 50 levels below 50 levels higher and so on.

they could make muti pvp zones to so that clans could go in there.

also in these pvp zones there could be nice rewards and in muti pvp zones even better rewards because of the threat.. that would encourage more people to enter the "wild"
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Much more replayability. There was a reason to reroll in D2 - try new builds, and it was actually fun and rewarding to do so. Not just have 1 of every class like in D3 and your character's magically capable of switching to any skill at will, completely removing the point to rerolling, in an ARPG.

Exciting PvP. Really got your heart racing. Balanced? Of course not, it didn't pretend to be. Fun? Hells yeah.

No AHs. You didn't either suck (for not using the AH) or completely remove the fun of the item grind (for using the AH), and droprates weren't seemingly terrible as a result. This put the "loot" into "loot hunt", not the "lottery" of D3. If you wanted to cheat via third party, you could, but that's all it was, cheating.

Random maps.

Cow level.

Gear required quite a bit more thought, and planning ahead. Uniques/Legendaries weren't 99% trash due to stupid, stupid, stupid stat variation.

Ladders.
Reply Quote
thanks for the comments ill have to research this "cow level" iv heard about this in one of these diablo 3 videos before
Reply Quote
View profile

For someone with the name Diablo2PVPER, you sure are uneducated about Diablo 2 mechanics.

The skill trees actually gave way more build diversity than Diablo 3 could even fathom at this moment.

Have you never heard of the Token of Absolution which allows a full respec in Diablo 2?

It literally took about 3-4 hours to get rushed to level 80 and doing end game content.

Okay please, play diablo 2 pre synergy bonus patch.

Max out firebolt.

Tell me how the endgame is.

As a matter of fact, max out anything on the elemental tree for druid.

You cant even kill cows.

now make a trap assassin>

once again you cant kill a cow.

Now make a palladin.

Your completely useless no matter what you went, dont worry. Though I did have a badass zeal pally with B-Star. But I got a complete letdown everytime I saw a barb just WW goblin up every cow while I had to unload 2 full zeals to kill 1.

Okay now make a necro and piss everyone off with 20 skellyton lag, which also sucked.

Years later they added the synergy bonus, but even then it was filled with nonviable skills.
Edited by Diablo2PVPER#1220 on 9/7/2013 3:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
That is a loaded question. The differnces between D2 and D3 are huge, to the point where D3 feels more like it was inspired by D2, rather than is descended from it. But I can sum it up shortly:

-D2 had epic loot. You would have items that were so amazing, so overwhelmingly awesome that you would create a character, power level for one or two days to lvl 80+, and trade for other items JUST so you could utilize the amazing item you found. The stat variations on unique items was smaller than in D3 so even a low version of an item was awesome, as compared to D3 where you generally find piss poor legendaries with junk stats.
-Loot would define your character. Items would greatly boost life-steal, attack speed, move speed, or grant skills like teleport which would alter the way you played the game entirely. You would start with a Paladin (think Crusader) who can cast his little hammer spell and by the end of the game he would be teleporting across the map casting doom hammers at 100+% cast speed because of the items he had. D3 items marginally change your character, but they don't redefine play-styles anywhere near as much as in D2.
-There was character progression and depth. There were full skill trees and you could put up to 20 points in any skill, and in later patches the skills would synergize and make each other more powerful. When you first got the skill it was nice. When you put 20 points in and had +5 skill points to boost it and its synergies you were a god. The progression and choices you could make to achieve it felt solid and carried far into the late game. In D3 you have the skills, but there isn't progression, just changes to mechanics. It's nice to get to lvl 60, but you could crush inferno with your lvl 30 skills too if you have the items, whereas in D3 you needed every skill point to be badass.
-The tone was tight and focused. The story, the music, the visuals, the skills, and that glorious act 5! Everything was designed well, fit together, never annoyed, and built a world that was a pleasure to play in. D3 has an amazing world, but there are too many things which distract you to the point where it doesn't feel cohesive and serious, but more like cheese.
-It was never a beta product. D3 is effectively still in beta, and everyone agrees, and nobody is happy that they were promised D2+ for a decade and then got WoW-. D2 roared out of the gate (minus the server issues) and only got better with time. The expansion especially was a masterpiece, making it basically 2x better.
-Boss farming. Blizzard has a long-time psychotic streak where they nerf boss drops and try to push people away from boss runs, but really this was the heart and soul of Diablo, and really a mindless joy. Without neph valor nonsense to force you to clear mobs you would speed teleport to the boss, %!!#!!*! him, and repeat ad nauseum. It sounds stupid, and it is stupid, but it was FUN!

In general D2 was fun and didn't mercilessly dictate what fun should be. Yes there were constant nerfs and changes in D2, and they sucked a lot of the times, but in the end you could still pack a shield and super-smite Diablo in the face over and over, or teleport around with your barb WWing mobs. D3 is so overdesigned that you're only allowed to play it as it was forseen, and that's a load of !@#$. I want to play my way, and have fun my way. Jay Wilson wanted everything his way, and the final product suffered. Still fun, but D3 is deep in D2's shadow, and not likely to get out.
Reply Quote
View profile
Ha I remember my pallies gear.

B-Star with perfect skill. Tal-Rashas helmet (sick lifesteel), Valor's armor. String of Ears. SoJ's.

I forget rest but I was da best pally before the runecombo bullcrap.
Reply Quote

Max out firebolt.

You cant even kill cows.

Now make a palladin.

Your completely useless no matter what you went, dont worry. Though I did have a badass zeal pally with B-Star. But I got a complete letdown everytime I saw a barb just WW goblin up every cow while I had to unload 2 full zeals to kill 1.

Okay now make a necro and piss everyone off with 20 skellyton lag, which also sucked.

Years later they added the synergy bonus, but even then it was filled with nonviable skills.

Thanks for proving that you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about and sucked at D2.
Reply Quote
View profile
-D2 had epic loot. You would have items that were so amazing, so overwhelmingly awesome that you would create a character, power level for one or two days to lvl 80+, and trade for other items JUST so you could utilize the amazing item you found. The stat variations on unique items was smaller than in D3 so even a low version of an item was awesome, as compared to D3 where you generally find piss poor legendaries with junk stats.

That is a loaded question. The differnces between D2 and D3 are huge, to the point where D3 feels more like it was inspired by D2, rather than is descended from it. But I can sum it up shortly:

-Loot would define your character. Items would greatly boost life-steal, attack speed, move speed, or grant skills like teleport which would alter the way you played the game entirely. You would start with a Paladin (think Crusader) who can cast his little hammer spell and by the end of the game he would be teleporting across the map casting doom hammers at 100+% cast speed because of the items he had. D3 items marginally change your character, but they don't redefine play-styles anywhere near as much as in D2.
-There was character progression and depth. There were full skill trees and you could put up to 20 points in any skill, and in later patches the skills would synergize and make each other more powerful. When you first got the skill it was nice. When you put 20 points in and had +5 skill points to boost it and its synergies you were a god. The progression and choices you could make to achieve it felt solid and carried far into the late game. In D3 you have the skills, but there isn't progression, just changes to mechanics. It's nice to get to lvl 60, but you could crush inferno with your lvl 30 skills too if you have the items, whereas in D3 you needed every skill point to be badass.
-The tone was tight and focused. The story, the music, the visuals, the skills, and that glorious act 5! Everything was designed well, fit together, never annoyed, and built a world that was a pleasure to play in. D3 has an amazing world, but there are too many things which distract you to the point where it doesn't feel cohesive and serious, but more like cheese.
-It was never a beta product. D3 is effectively still in beta, and everyone agrees, and nobody is happy that they were promised D2+ for a decade and then got WoW-. D2 roared out of the gate (minus the server issues) and only got better with time. The expansion especially was a masterpiece, making it basically 2x better.
-Boss farming. Blizzard has a long-time psychotic streak where they nerf boss drops and try to push people away from boss runs, but really this was the heart and soul of Diablo, and really a mindless joy. Without neph valor nonsense to force you to clear mobs you would speed teleport to the boss, %!!#!!*! him, and repeat ad nauseum. It sounds stupid, and it is stupid, but it was FUN!

In general D2 was fun and didn't mercilessly dictate what fun should be. Yes there were constant nerfs and changes in D2, and they sucked a lot of the times, but in the end you could still pack a shield and super-smite Diablo in the face over and over, or teleport around with your barb WWing mobs. D3 is so overdesigned that you're only allowed to play it as it was forseen, and that's a load of !@#$. I want to play my way, and have fun my way. Jay Wilson wanted everything his way, and the final product suffered. Still fun, but D3 is deep in D2's shadow, and not likely to get out.

While I agree that blizzard dropped the ball on the loot system, they are addressing the much needed changes in the xpac.

Theres a lot of things D3 got right, particularly the combat system and the graphics. I would have preferred in depth skill trees as well. And they could have done it while avoiding useless endgame skills like diablo 2 had all over the place.
Reply Quote
View profile
Runewords would make people forget
a lot of problems with D3 right off the bat,
but Blizzard refuses to put those in for...
uhh, whatever reason.

Seriously, no other game i've
ever seen has them...it's never been
ripped off to the best of my knowledge.
Reply Quote
View profile

Max out firebolt.

You cant even kill cows.

Now make a palladin.

Thanks for proving that you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about and sucked at D2.

Please dude, lay off the insults. I switched back to classic diablo 2 instead of expansion after that horrible rune combo patch

With crap gear, I could PvP and take out godly gear classic people. Thats how the game should be. In d2 expac, after that patch it was impossible to even get 1 point of damage on a God mode character with ALL hell mode unique items.

Anyways, it would take 20 fireballs to kill another sorc.

She would kill me in 1 orb.

Guess who won the fight? Everytime?

Me buddy, so kiss my !@#.
Reply Quote
View profile
Also check this crap out.

Diablo 2 classic. It took 30 fireballs to kill this pally.

He killed me in 1 hammer.

I had all garbage gear. He had amazing gear.

For hours we dualed and I smoked him everytime, then he hooked me up because I was so good.

So please realize who your talking to before you insult me.
Reply Quote
Please dude, lay off the insults. I switched back to classic diablo 2 instead of expansion after that horrible rune combo patch

With crap gear, I could PvP and take out godly gear classic people. Thats how the game should be. In d2 expac, after that patch it was impossible to even get 1 point of damage on a God mode character with ALL hell mode unique items.

LOL, so many lies in everything you write.
Reply Quote
View profile

LOL, so many lies in everything you write.

Not even buddy. Not even.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]