Diablo® III

DIABLO 2 FANS

Rune combos honestly ruined my d2 experience. I tried to get them they would never drop for me. I looked up where to find them and grinded for hours with magic find, not 1 HR drop. Like I said ended up switching to classic because dual rooms became complete bull. I wasnt going to shell out 20+ dollars just to get the HR drops which were apparently easy to find if you were already God mode.
Edited by Diablo2PVPER#1220 on 9/7/2013 3:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Diablo 2 was not blessed with an auction house, so players had to put on a magnifier glass and sort through flooded trade spam chat for hours instead..

Also diablo 2 had horrible skill trees, nothing was viable for the endgame except a few build paths. It had no way of respec, so if you misclicked once, you would have to reroll character if you wanted to be efficient.

Diablo 2 was all about power rush into power runs. Could get rushed and become lvl 70 area in a few days. Everyones endgame gear was identical as well.

But what was amazing for diablo 2, was the PvP. Could spend hours dueling outside of town.

This guy, like many others, have forgotten about his 200 first hours of diablo 2.

The 200 hours most of us played alone in singleplayer.

Diablo 2 was primarily a single player game when it came out.

Which leads to my first point:

When starting the game, you are faced with a small fort in the wilderness.
You can TALK to people to learn the story: It is not thrown in your face.
You can, without talking to anyone, just go on and kill monsters -- or you can talk and hear dozens of dialogues and gossip before you start, learning more about the rogues and what's going on in the world.
The first area you enter is vast and open. It's huge. It's a large field, a dirty brown, worn, wet field.
Zombies and quill rates infest it, and some carvers.

Not in great numbers -- but the area is so large their effective numbers is massive.
However.
Right off the bat, the game makes sense.
You can throw javelins, and the javelins disappear from your inventory.
You can pick up a bow and use it effectively. Bows use arrows.
Your bow does not make your fire bolt, ice bolt or charged bolt stronger -- it replaces it.
Until you grow stronger.
YOU grow STRONGER.

As an amazon, increasing dexterity increases your bow's damage. As a paladin, increasing dexterity increases bow damage.
Dexterity increases bow damage for all classes.
Strength increases your melee damage.
Dexterity improves your chance to hit and chance to not take damage; defense rating and attack rating, and is vital for melee characters in the beginning.

Vitality increases your life.
Energy increases your mana.

Right off the bat, you're in a "realistic" fantasy world in Diablo 2.
Right off the bat, you're given character customization with meaningful choices.

I wanted to go on to a second point, but I'm off to bed.
Reply Quote
Diablo 2 was not blessed with an auction house, so players had to put on a magnifier glass and sort through flooded trade spam chat for hours instead..

Also diablo 2 had horrible skill trees, nothing was viable for the endgame except a few build paths. It had no way of respec, so if you misclicked once, you would have to reroll character if you wanted to be efficient.

Diablo 2 was all about power rush into power runs. Could get rushed and become lvl 70 area in a few days. Everyones endgame gear was identical as well.

But what was amazing for diablo 2, was the PvP. Could spend hours dueling outside of town.

This guy, like many others, have forgotten about his 200 first hours of diablo 2.

You can, without talking to anyone, just go on and kill monsters -- or you can talk and hear dozens of dialogues and gossip before you start, learning more about the rogues and what's going on in the world.
The first area you enter is vast and open. It's huge. It's a large field, a dirty brown, worn, wet field.

Not in great numbers -- but the area is so large their effective numbers is massive.
However.
Your bow does not make your fire bolt, ice bolt or charged bolt stronger -- it replaces it.
Until you grow stronger.
YOU grow STRONGER.

As an amazon, increasing dexterity increases your bow's damage. As a paladin, increasing dexterity increases bow damage.
Dexterity improves your chance to hit and chance to not take damage; defense rating and attack rating, and is vital for melee characters in the beginning.

Right off the bat, you're given character customization with meaningful choices.

Yeah you are right, I didnt even know about battle.net for awhile when I had d2.

Then one day I was like "What does this button do"!??!?!

Never could enjoy single player d2 again after that day.
Reply Quote

However.
Until you grow stronger.
YOU grow STRONGER.

and this guy forgot how terrible diablo 2 was at launch...i quit playing diablo 2 until after they put in ALOT of patches....interesting how you will point out what person has forgotten yet you forget yourself one of the biggest things about diablo 2 at launch :)
Reply Quote
Rune words! In patch 1.10, diablo II LoD became a legend, it purged all the hack and previous .08's and other godly items. They made rune words so good, game changing, added tons of build diversity. it was good times.
Reply Quote
Also please make a druid in diablo 2 right now.

Max out raven.

Let me know how it works out for you. Act IV NORMAL MODE, your 5 ravens are going to be terrible, even though you dropped all 20 skill points into it.

And this is after all the work was done to improve skill trees.
Reply Quote
09/07/2013 03:56 PMPosted by FortySixAnd2
Rune words! In patch 1.10, diablo II LoD became a legend, it purged all the hack and previous .08's and other godly items. They made rune words so good, game changing, added tons of build diversity. it was good times.

I hated rune words just because you couldnt deal 1 point of damage into someone if they had God gear, even though you are self found and got all hell mode unique on.

PvP became for the elite only, and it was complete bull. Switched to classic shortly after.
Reply Quote

and this guy forgot how terrible diablo 2 was at launch...i quit playing diablo 2 until after they put in ALOT of patches....interesting how you will point out what person has forgotten yet you forget yourself one of the biggest things about diablo 2 at launch :)

Do tell me more about why you think it was terrible.
What exactly was the problem?
Reply Quote

*puts 10 points into firebolt, which the strategy guide says is the bread and butter spell*

*realizes firebolt is completely useless in nightmare mode*

*Gets angry and deletes character*
Reply Quote

because it was NOT diablo 1

it had changed NUMEROUS things from diablo one and the game play was terrible

i am old enough to remember those days. in fact im in the same room that i played diablo 1 in right now. are you old enough to remember diablo 1? and the differences between the 2? and how many patches it took blizzard on diablo 2 to make it so every one now is just totally excited to keep playing it?

i see no difference in the pattern blizzard established back then. they released diablo 3
people complain

they do patches and patches and updates till it gets to the polished level people are looking for.
Reply Quote
I remember the good old days of D2 where I could build a leap strike barb, get a 6 socketed axe and put all P-Emeralds in it, and do well in PvP.

Not after that bullcrap 1.10 patch though.

It did address the needed skill tree fixes though via synergy bonuses. But made PvP for elite only, and excluded on/off self found gamers such as myself, because NOT ONE HIGH RUNE ever dropped after countless hours of magic find grind.
Edited by Diablo2PVPER#1220 on 9/7/2013 4:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
mainly because it occupied my time when i was 16, which also is when the internet and computers weren't everywhere like they are now, like the one in your pocket. so it was a more special experience you had with friends who were into computers while all the cool kids considered it stupid unless you used AOL to chat.

if play diablo 2 now (the patches when I actually enjoyed the game .08-.09) and its no different than d3 in the sense you have to play all day to find anything worth using , even mid tier uniques. especially on classic. unless you had friends to give you scraps like a soj here n there or some rich kid duper to fill your accounts with godly items. i'll be honest, the game got muuuch more fun when i cheated. d3 could use more %to block, hit recovery, ect but it doesn't feel so special anymore.

*wipes tear*
Edited by plouyd#1632 on 9/7/2013 4:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote

However.
Until you grow stronger.
YOU grow STRONGER.

D2 was a hit on release. The game was improved through expo + patches but the base of the game was already set in place from the get go.

Also 60k+ elite kills in D3 and you thought D2 was terrible at release? Oh dear.
Reply Quote
D2 was just a better ARPG experience. Forget all the end game crap or PvP nonsense. I liked the music, the art styling, the classes, the monsters, the itemization, the atmosphere, the creativity.
Reply Quote

Max out raven.

Let me know how it works out for you. Act IV NORMAL MODE, your 5 ravens are going to be terrible, even though you dropped all 20 skill points into it.

Your point being?

Training the wrong skills, like in any roleplaying game, will make you weak.
The system was not good.

But.
Why REMOVE it?

I have suggested this for Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 since about 2005:

Limit some skills to 5, 10 or 15 point investments.
Have sub-skills that improve skills:
For raven, you could be able to improve them with a sub-skill (or Rune -- since we're talking about Diablo 3 and they actually took up the system) at character level 20 or 30 or 50, that improves the skill somehow.
These upgrades would cost an upgrade point, and those would only be gained every 10-15 levels.
(Skillpoints would only be unlocked every second level to limit the skillpoints to 60 total, starting on level 2.)

Raven upgrades / runes:
Level 30: Draw blood: Ravens have a chance to cause serious bleeding on hit
Level 50: Snatch Eyes: When ravens successfully hit an enemy the second time, the enemy is permanently blinded

Fireball upgrades / runes:
Level 35: Expand: Increases radius to 5 yards, but adds 50% to the mana cost.
Level 50: Detonate: Fireballs detonate at the point you specify instead of exploding on impact
Level 70: Hellfire: Fireballs deal an additional 40% magic damage

But no.

They removed it -- even though it was easy to improve upon.

Heck -- it would have been better to let skills upgrade their skill level on USE rather than NEVER letting them upgrade their potential.

Which I will adress in my next point.

(Kid woke up.)
Edited by Frostraven#1952 on 9/7/2013 4:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/07/2013 04:13 PMPosted by KrO
D2 was just a better ARPG experience. Forget all the end game crap or PvP nonsense. I liked the music, the art styling, the classes, the monsters, the itemization, the atmosphere, the creativity.

If D3 went the in depth skill tree route, with a stronger loot system core, it would easily smoke diablo 2 for breakfest.

D3 did a lot of things amazing, but some key things like the loot it was way off. They are addressing in the expac and blizzard has my money.
Reply Quote
D2 was a good game. Actually playing through yet again right now.

The things D3 has on D2:

1. Graphics. The design choice is different and many prefer D2's, but even so I don't think D3 is an ugly game and I can play it at significantly higher resolution.

2. Combat. The best part of D3.

3. Being able to farm anywhere and get top-end items. In D2 there were only a few key areas that could drop all items, which meant running the same 5 minute runs over and over and over. Much more variety with D3.

Other than that, I think D2 is better on all other fronts. The items were better, the stat structure and affixes were better, the story was better.
Reply Quote

Max out raven.

Your point being?

Training the wrong skills, like in any roleplaying game, will make you weak.
The system was not good.

But.
Why REMOVE it?

I have suggested this for Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 since about 2005:

Limit some skills to 5, 10 or 15 point investments.
Have sub-skills that improve skills:
For raven, you could be able to improve them with a sub-skill (or Rune -- since we're talking about Diablo 3 and they actually took up the system) at character level 20 or 30 or 50, that improves the skill somehow.
These upgrades would cost an upgrade point, and those would only be gained every 10-15 levels.
Skillpoints would only be unlocked every second level.

Raven upgrades / runes:
Level 30: Draw blood: Ravens have a chance to cause bleeding
Level 50: Snatch Eyes: When ravens successfully hit an enemy the second time, the enemy is permanently blinded

Fireball upgrades / runes:
Level 35: Expand: Increases radius to 5 yards, but adds 50% to the mana cost.
Level 50: Detonate: Fireballs detonate at the point you specify instead of exploding on impact
Level 70:

But no.

They removed it -- even though it was easy to improve upon.

Heck -- it would have been better to let skills upgrade their skill level on USE rather than NEVER letting them upgrade their potential.

Which I will adress in my next point.

(Kid woke up.)

I agree dude was also highly disappointed with the no skill tree method wilson went with. Although its interesting, characters just dont feel unique. At any time I can change my build to exact mirror someone else, only difference being fundamentally flawed gear.

But diablo 3 is amazing on a lot of other aspects. I really hope the expansion can help it get to where it needs to be.
Reply Quote

D2 was a hit on release. The game was improved through expo + patches but the base of the game was already set in place from the get go.

Also 60k+ elite kills in D3 and you thought D2 was terrible at release? Oh dear.

lol my 60k+ kills on elites come from i played diablo 3 from launch up until march or february of this year? i check in now and then to see whats going on in the diablo 3 world when i consider playing again. as it sits right now i think i will just wait until the 2.0 kicks in.

do not make assumptions about peoples numbers unless you find out where they come from :)

when i stopped playing not many people had that many elite kills :)
Reply Quote
I was hoping for a skill tree system with everything based of %. That way everything ends up scaling into the endgame.

They did that but without the skill tree so big letdown.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]