Diablo® III

Decent changes to existing items for RoS

There are far too many redundant legendaries that are getting zero usage. It's unfortunate, but all the desired stats per item slot are all the same. It's always optimal to get OS/LS/CD on weapons. It's always optimal to get trifectas on whatever they roll on etc...

Rehashing some of the existing legendaries to be more specific to builds (like they've done before) would be nice. For example, Frostburns with a couple of random rolls so you can get CD/CC on them WITH the nice cold bonuses. Or a Wizardspike with one or two random rolls with a random roll of either Mana or AP regen or on crit so they are applicable for both the WD and Wiz class. An i63 trifecta Magefist would be excellent for Meteor builds.

Diversify so more skills are getting used... a bit like how SoJs work, but for more gear.

What are other rolls people would like to see?
Reply Quote
I would rather see IAS/CC/CD get nerfed or, more diplomatically, "brought in line with other affixes". Making it possible for all items to effectively become trifectas does not really solve the problem of the general sameyness of Diablo 3 items, just makes it more widespread.

Anyway, some things that could be interesting:

+X% Damage to <Type> Skills, for example +10% Damage to Force Skills, which would increase the damage of both Wicked Wind and Meteor. Wouldn't need to be 'Damage' either, could just be 'effectiveness', so that non-damage dealing spells like Diamond Skin would benefit as well.

Better random skill procs. The skill procs we have are gimmicks, without exception. "Chance to hurl a ball of pure energy when attacking", for example, is completely useless, though Blizzard gets bonus points for using the word 'hurl'. How about a 15% chance to cast Diamond Skin or MIrror Image when hit? Or a 5% chance for Blinding Flash? Something that's not just 2% extra damage, but that might actually change the outcome of a tough fight.

Damage taken reduced by X. Mitigation is king in Diablo 3, but that's just a single (boring) number. A flat 1000 damage reduction might be better than 70 more AR when you're already high on mitigation, especially against DoT effects.

Faster Hit Recovery. The Diablo 2 concept of hit recovery is something I really miss. This would introduce some differentiation between the classes. An Archon wizard is not generally in melee range, so for them, FHR would be less important than for, say, ballerina Barbs.

Piercing Attack (as in a better Buriza). Makes single target spells like Ray of Frost and the non-Bombardment runes of Rapid Fire much more useful.
Reply Quote
I wouldn't mind seeing CD/CC get some sorta nerf. IAS has already lost it's efficiency. A further nerf to that would be a little too much.

And yeah, I agree on the changes to make the existing modifiers competitive.

Adding synergy between skills and items is a really good idea. Not just specific builds, but for general game play like you listed.

To be honest, I don't think there's any true ranged build in this game because Vortex exists. Every class needs a contingency to deal with it... all Wizards can do is teleport out.. but you could be dead before it... so I'm think of items that could ignore Vortex or particular affixes.. that could be more interesting. Unfortunately, doesn't help with Teleporting monsters lol.

FHR... oh man... getting knockback and having to deal with crappy recovery then slow walking... such a pain.

See, all of these ideas sound interesting. Don't know why they didn't have the insight to have this from release.
Reply Quote
If this was 9 months ago then I would say yes, Frost Burns should be capable of rolling AS or CC or CD but with the expansion coming out eventually I say that AS/CC/CD needs to be competitive with other NEW affixes that the devs will hopefuly be coming up with. Ultimately FB or MF do need to be able to roll extra random affixes.
Reply Quote
09/10/2013 07:40 AMPosted by MrDuMa
To be honest, I don't think there's any true ranged build in this game because Vortex exists. Every class needs a contingency to deal with it... all Wizards can do is teleport out.. but you could be dead before it... so I'm think of items that could ignore Vortex or particular affixes.. that could be more interesting. Unfortunately, doesn't help with Teleporting monsters lol.

There's another difference between D2 and D3 here: D2 was static. Most of the time, people would just do Baalruns. When you teleport through the Keeps you should never get hit anyway, and when you're at the Throne of Destruction, there's 8 people around you keeping everything pinned down, and you know exactly where enemies spawn.

That just isn't true in Diablo 3. Every run is different, and while you can predict a range of difficulty, there's just nothing like hitting that Frozen Meteor Plagued Desecrator Arcane Enchanted bull group and getting absolutely bearmauled.

On the other hand, the game is also easy enough to not need designated tanks. In games like WoW or EQ, you've got dedicated classes who are really only there to take hits and prevent other chacacters from becoming the focus of mobs. The closest thing we get is CS monks, and even they are mostly just there to make AoE spells more efficient, not to prevent other characters from getting aggro.

I would like it if RoS actually got significantly harder. Perhaps not on the level of D3C v1.0, but certainly harder than what we're seeing now, where even MP10 (which, I remind you, didn't even exist in 1.0: we died en masse at MP0!) is a snoozefest.

I wrote more about this sort of thing on GD, but with that place moving as fast as it does, and having as bad a community as it does, it didn't get much attention: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9753205349

(I just noticed I've got a unposted, half-done essay on class diversification lying around as well. Heh. Finishing things has never been my strong suit. Maybe I'll get around to it at some point.)

09/10/2013 07:40 AMPosted by MrDuMa
FHR... oh man... getting knockback and having to deal with crappy recovery then slow walking... such a pain.

It doesn't have to be that you would get hit recovery + knockback + slow all on top of each other. Maybe with enough FHR, you could actually come out ahead. Maybe it could affect the duration of the slow. You could even combine it with the Crowd Control reduction affix (which is useless now) so that it would work with frozen, chilled and jailed as well.

That said, I'll readily admit that it's quite likely that most of my suggestions just don't work with the vision Blizzard have for the game. A lot of these things could work under certain conditions, within certain constraints, but there is no feature that fits in all game concepts. So basically, I'm just brainstorming here. I don't quite have the kind of time available that I could do Blizzard's game design for them. :P
Edited by mzy#1101 on 9/11/2013 12:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]