Diablo® III

Experienced Console Data Loss/Corruption?

Community Manager
We've recently received reports of corrupted save data and loss of data while playing Diablo III on console. In an effort to investigate these reports further, we'd like request some more information from affected players.

If you've experienced data corruption or data loss while playing Diablo III on PS3 or Xbox 360 and would like to help out our investigation, please reply with the information requested below. The information you provide (what system you were using, how many players were in your group, save location, etc) should be as of when the data corruption or data loss occurred.

Thanks!

Platform:
  • PlayStation 3
  • Xbox 360

Save Location:
  • HDD
  • Flash drive
  • Cloud

Game Version (this is displayed at the bottom of the main title screen):
  • C1.0.0
  • C1.0.1

Player Configuration:
  • Single-player
  • Same-system multiplayer (local co-op game)
  • Multi-system multiplayer (online game)
  • Mixed multiplayer (same-system and multi-system in the same game)

If multi-system, please specify game type:
  • LAN/Find Game
  • Online/Matchmaking

# of Players and Account Type of Each:
  • Account Types (full descriptions listed below):
    • PS3
      • Primary User
      • Secondary User
      • Share User
      • No-Profile
        • PSN enabled?

• Xbox 360:
      • Primary Player
      • Secondary Player
      • No-Profile
        • Xbox Live Account Level:
          • Gold
          • Silver
          • None

Extent of Data Corruption:
  • Item Loss
  • Full Character Loss
  • Complete Data Corruption

Anything else that you think may be important information. For example:
  • Did you experience host migration?
  • Did you power off during an autosave?
  • Were you the host of the game when you lost data?
Edited by Lylirra on 9/10/2013 11:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
PS3 and Xbox 360 Account Types:

If you're not familiar what each account type means, here's a basic list:

• Primary User/Player: The player who presses Start, and is relative to a console.
  • Non-Primary User/Player: Any player who joined locally, other than the Primary User/Player.
  • Secondary User/Player:
    • PS3: A Non-Primary Player who is the first to pick a User not already used by another player, or the first to not pick a User.
    • Xbox 360: Any Non-Primary Player.

• Shared User/Guest:
    • PS3: A Secondary Player who chose a User already used by another player. Guest on PS3 is also referred to as "Shared User."
    • Xbox 360: A player who signs in as "Guest" when the optin is available.

• No-Profile:
    • PS3: A Secondary User who did not choose a User.
    • Xbox 360: A player who does not choose a profile. The Primary Player may be a No-Profile player.
Edited by Lylirra on 9/10/2013 5:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Xbox 360. 120GB Microsoft Harddrive. 2008 elite edition Console. Offline solo play. Primary account/profile (I only play on it nobody else).

My game has frozen EVERY single time I have used my Barb's Whirlwind in SPECIFICALLY act 3 and specifically, the keep dungeon level 2 and outdoor snowy area with the ballistas. When I don't use whirlwind, it doesn't freeze. But when I do for a long period of time against a pack of monsters, the game's audio will start clicking, the game will stutter, then it will freeze while the audio keeps stuttering when frozen.

It can't be a coincidence because it froze in Normal, NM, Hell, and Inferno in specifically the Keep level 2 dungeon and I heard other people on Gamefaqs saying the same thing. But for me, specifically when my Barb used Whirlwind for a long period of time.

My console never has freezing problems; this is the only time. And I've used Whirlwind against bigger packs of monsters in other acts and it never freezes. Its specifically Act 3 in those 2 areas, the Keep level 2 and the outdoor area with the Balistias. I can use WhirlWind at the start of act 3 without fear of freezing; at least it hasn't froze for me there yet.

Thank you for addressing this issue.
Edited by Flamechamp#1529 on 9/10/2013 1:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Oh and I didn't lose my data. I just had to shut off the console and prayed it kept my saved progress, which it did each time it frozen. I'm very lucky I haven't got corrupted data yet.
Reply Quote
ATTENTION: Duplicating Items Glitch in PS3
The only corruption that I have seen and heard about is player corruption. Duplicating items in Multiplayer on PS3. I am not sure how they are doing this but I have been told you need to do it with another player and something about having to drop a item on the ground then back out by exiting the game and your friend picks up your item and you return back in game with your item and your friend having the same item. This sucks! Finally Diablo with no AH and cheaters right away week one. Whats the fun of a game if you cheap your way threw it. Just going to ruin it for yourselves.
Reply Quote
I'm a PC user, just coming in to say that Blues should specify on how to back up game data in case this bug starts becoming prevalent on consoles.
Reply Quote
09/10/2013 11:28 AMPosted by Lylirra
A Secondary Ulayer

player*
Reply Quote
blizz = console noobs
Reply Quote
ATTENTION: Duplicating Items Glitch in PS3
The only corruption that I have seen and heard about is player corruption. Duplicating items in Multiplayer on PS3. I am not sure how they are doing this but I have been told you need to do it with another player and something about having to drop a item on the ground then back out by exiting the game and your friend picks up your item and you return back in game with your item and your friend having the same item. This sucks! Finally Diablo with no AH and cheaters right away week one. Whats the fun of a game if you cheap your way threw it. Just going to ruin it for yourselves.

It's not a glitch. This was a known exploit on consoles way before the release of the game. Because of the freedom console players have with offline mode and access to saved information, item duplication will be a reality of console play that Blizz cannot moderate. If it bothers you don't participate in duplication, but don't worry about what other's do. You cannot control someone else's behavior and if they enjoy the game more via duplicating items let them play the game their way.

BTW, the reason the console doesn't have an AH is because it was known that players would be able to dupe and items have no value. You can even restore your hardcore characters with backup saves.
Reply Quote
Don't help them all they do is hack
Reply Quote
Seems like blizz released another beta for consoles now haha.
Reply Quote
loot 2.0 seems so far away~
and we can't get back yesterday~
so we yawn right now~
we tired right now
we sleepy right now
so we yawn right now~
Reply Quote
My 2 person co-op game froze. Barb and WD act 3 normal, Keep Depths 2. Playing on XBox 360, shared screen, HDD saves, one gold account and one silver account. We didn't lose characters or items, nor did the files become corrupted. (Actually, we probably did lose a couple items, a little gold and a little XP but nothing important.)

But I wanted to throw this info out there because I noticed someone else mentioned freezing in KD2 on the 360. It's within the realm of possibility that if this happened to someone during a save operation it could lead to data corruption.
Reply Quote
Accidental post.
Edited by xios#1958 on 9/10/2013 7:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Wow, I'm glad I only rented and grinded the achievements.

Now I don't care if mine corrupts. 1000/1000 was easy to get. :)
Reply Quote
Hey at least there is no ah
Reply Quote
Not a single crash here, xbox version. I also whirlwinded for a good while in keeps 2, was fine.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]