Diablo® III

Does using a Cold SOJ Trigger Cold Blooded?

So my Tal's ammy is Arcane and the Triumvirate does not add cold dmg. So I am wondering if I got a cold dmg soj and paired it with the Cold Blooded passive would work with an Archon Wiz?

Anyone know for sure?
Reply Quote
it only works when using spectral blade and a black weapon, since it's non-elemental
Edited by yems#6688 on 9/9/2013 7:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/09/2013 07:40 AMPosted by yems
it only works when using spectral blade and a black weapon, since it's non-elemental

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess the reason Temporal Flux works with Archon is cause that beam he shoots off is Arcane Dmg right? and not because of the Adds X% Arcane affix on gear.
Reply Quote
I see your Scoundrel has a Hellrack. If you don't' want to buy a Buriza, then I suggest you equip him with a cold SoJ and CB will be triggered.

I used to do the same with Windforce before I found Buriza.
Reply Quote
And do re-train him, and skip the first tier of skills. You want him only Multishotting, while using CC/Escape when time calls for it....and ofc Anatomy is a must.
Reply Quote
You don't actually need a black weapon, as all weapons have a black (physical) damage component.
Reply Quote
I guess the reason Temporal Flux works with Archon is cause that beam he shoots off is Arcane Dmg right? and not because of the Adds X% Arcane affix on gear.

Yes, every other wizard skill also works like that...except for spectral blades.
Reply Quote
Well I am theory crafting on my archon. I am using ice armor/ice reflect along with the cold blooded passive. It is working quite well when in mobs, when they hit me they are frozen and then the 20% kicks in and by-by. I am having a tough time deciding which other passives. I want CM to reset the archon but I also want glass cannon and galvanizing ward.

any advice?

Drop Galv Ward for CB. Personally I prefer using a buriza on my scoundrel so I can use pinpoint barrier for extra dps. Trash mobs die too fast for Ice Armor to be used much and against elites the buriza is pretty good at keeping them chilled.
Reply Quote
on a sidenote, if my archon wizard has an item (lets say witching hour) that grants X% to freeze does CB get triggered when i blast things with either LL or Archon Disintegrate?
Reply Quote
09/10/2013 01:10 AMPosted by Dezzo
on a sidenote, if my archon wizard has an item (lets say witching hour) that grants X% to freeze does CB get triggered when i blast things with either LL or Archon Disintegrate?

If it freezes the mob, CB takes effect. Then any damage you do for the duration is increased by 20%. It's the same idea as using a follower with a cold weapon.
Reply Quote
09/10/2013 09:19 AMPosted by Loroese

If it freezes the mob, CB takes effect. Then any damage you do for the duration is increased by 20%. It's the same idea as using a follower with a cold weapon.

So if it doesn't freeze the mob nothing happens? =(

For a while I thought that effects that can cause freeze if do not, chill the target instead (hence the high price for these items).

In this case I think Buriza is overpriced and that items that cause cold damage should be worth more.

On another side note, if I am in Archon mode and I have lets say a Tal Ammy that does cold damage, does that cold damage trigger CB? I watched Jaetch's Archon Walkthrough and I get the impression that all it does is add the cold "damage" but not the cold "effect" itself because Disintegrate is Arcane damage.
Reply Quote
09/10/2013 08:34 PMPosted by Dezzo
On another side note, if I am in Archon mode and I have lets say a Tal Ammy that does cold damage, does that cold damage trigger CB? I watched Jaetch's Archon Walkthrough and I get the impression that all it does is add the cold "damage" but not the cold "effect" itself because Disintegrate is Arcane damage.

This was already answered above. In short, no, only spectral blades procs the cold effect for wizards.

So if it doesn't freeze the mob nothing happens? =(For a while I thought that effects that can cause freeze if do not, chill the target instead (hence the high price for these items).In this case I think Buriza is overpriced and that items that cause cold damage should be worth more.

Of course nothing happens if the mob isn't frozen. It's a proc, if it doesn't proc it doesn't do anything. The mob has to take cold damage to be chilled.

Buriza is a cold damage weapon, which is why it is often given to scoundrels. That and the freeze+piercing chance. The scoundrel basic attack and multishot are non-elemental attacks, so they both apply the chill effect and this proc CM. That's why they're expensive and highly used. You can substitute another cold weapon for the same chill type effect, but it won't have the freeze or piercing chance, which is pretty nice. You would also get the same effect from giving your scoundrel a cold SoH or Tal ammy.
Reply Quote
09/10/2013 08:38 PMPosted by Loroese

This was already answered above. In short, no, only spectral blades procs the cold effect for wizards.

So if it doesn't freeze the mob nothing happens? =(For a while I thought that effects that can cause freeze if do not, chill the target instead (hence the high price for these items).In this case I think Buriza is overpriced and that items that cause cold damage should be worth more.

Of course nothing happens if the mob isn't frozen. It's a proc, if it doesn't proc it doesn't do anything. The mob has to take cold damage to be chilled.

Buriza is a cold damage weapon, which is why it is often given to scoundrels. That and the freeze+piercing chance. The scoundrel basic attack and multishot are non-elemental attacks, so they both apply the chill effect and this proc CM. That's why they're expensive and highly used. You can substitute another cold weapon for the same chill type effect, but it won't have the freeze or piercing chance, which is pretty nice. You would also get the same effect from giving your scoundrel a cold SoH or Tal ammy.

Cheers for the quick reply! =)

That clears up a lot of stuff.

Thanks again Loroese!
Reply Quote
Addendum: Although the merits of Buriza is highlighted by Loroese above, I found that giving the merc a high KB Windforce (+/- 40%) with a cold SOJ or a cold / freeze damage Amulet (or both) has better benefits as the KB is a viable CC element that interrupts mob wind up attacks like Savage Beasts and those hammer banging thingys.

I guess arming the Merc with a Buriza also frees up more slots to load him up with more IAS/VIT gear. =)
Reply Quote
Addendum: Although the merits of Buriza is highlighted by Loroese above, I found that giving the merc a high KB Windforce (+/- 40%) with a cold SOJ or a cold / freeze damage Amulet (or both) has better benefits as the KB is a viable CC element that interrupts mob wind up attacks like Savage Beasts and those hammer banging thingys.

I guess arming the Merc with a Buriza also frees up more slots to load him up with more IAS/VIT gear. =)

I think that's the second choice made by some Archon users, but buriza is still the most popular because of the piercing aspect. It is pretty awesome to watch a beast get frozen mid charge, but I imagine seeing one go flying mid charge is pretty hilarious also.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]