Diablo® III

Will this laptop run D3?

And how well will it run it?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-envy-17-3-laptop-silver-intel-core-i5-3230m-1tb-hdd-12gb-ram-windows-8-17-j034ca/10255825.aspx?path=5374f9201ee3f00246d7fefab9c43a69en02
Reply Quote
I was playing D3 on a hp pavillion g7 i believe, when this computer was in the shop. So yea you should be fine.
Reply Quote
put this on google

can i run it

theres a sofware that can tell u if u can run any game that its relesed.
Reply Quote
And how well will it run it?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-envy-17-3-laptop-silver-intel-core-i5-3230m-1tb-hdd-12gb-ram-windows-8-17-j034ca/10255825.aspx?path=5374f9201ee3f00246d7fefab9c43a69en02

Some guy in the link you quoted said he was running Battlefield 3 on high, so I think you'll do ok.

Edit: Nvidia GeForce GT 740M graphics card with 2048MB dedicated video memory * yep.
Edited by Ghibli#6495 on 9/6/2013 2:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-740M.89900.0.html

According to the above, the 740m can handle D3.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Envy-17t-j003-Notebook.100557.0.html

From the above review, there are a few concerns.

-The 740m in that laptop is the absolute weakest version offered.
64-bit memory interface and DDR3 instead of GDDR5.
You may need to bump down to High detail instead of Ultra to maintain playable minimum frame rates.

-The Hard disk in that is large, but not fast. 5400rpm with no caching SSD.
You might want to look into adding an SSD, if budget allows.
(the review says there is an empty HDD bay, but you will need to purchase a caddy and cable)

-The processor in that model is an i5 which is a step down from the review model and most of the laptops tested for the 740m on that site. This doesn't mean it won't work for D3, just that it won't be quite as much performance. Again, likely you need to accept High settings instead of Ultra if you want to maintain a minimum of 30fps.

All in all it will likely do the job, just not optimally for that price range.
As an example, Lenovo's Y410 or Y510 will feature a 750m and a full quad-core i7 in that price range.
Reply Quote
Windows 8, won't run anything at all ever
Reply Quote
09/06/2013 06:07 AMPosted by SOC
Windows 8, won't run anything at all ever

Its not true!

I run all my games in my Desktop with win8, 16 games total, and blizzard games running smoth with it. And I think win8 is even better than win7.

Op, that notebook should run D3 fine.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I run win 8 no problems play hundreds of games
Reply Quote
5400 rpm HDD will be a bottle neck, you will lag a bit after teleporting to a new location.
Reply Quote
thx for the feed back guys!
Reply Quote
Did you get yours to work? I also have an HP envy with the NVidia 740m graphics card but I keep getting nothing but a black screen and a cursor when i start the game. I can hear the game sounds as well but cannot seem to get anything else.
Reply Quote
Yes it's damn bug on 740m - black screen in fullscreen mode
Reply Quote
OMG @ackrin that is the same thing that is happening with mine just that mine is NVidia 840M I can her sounds and cursor but total black screen. Did you manage to get it running again?
Reply Quote
Have you tried messing with D3Prefs file? Perhaps changing hardware class or Windowed mode will let you atleast get it open so you can further optimize it's looks/feel.

Have you tried different drivers? On the same token have you tried resetting the GPU's 3D preferences? If you do install a new driver, try ticking the box that says "clean install" or something... nVidia has a built in "start fresh remove old drivers" tick box now. The old way of doing it was using DriverSweeper in safemode.

Those are the two things I'd be hammering on first to try to correct this.

Another thing just popped into my head... perhaps there is a GPU switching setting in the BIOS, if your computer has Optimus (the nvidia tech that does this) that could throw a monkey wrench in the works.
Edited by Woot#1471 on 5/23/2014 9:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]