Diablo® III

Throw barbs viable?

View profile
I certainly don't have the gear for it but it seems like this SHOULD be a potential build. Has anyone had any success with it?

I tried yesterday and it failed miserably is it basically mandatory to have 300th spear? What's the gear setup?
Reply Quote
Oh yeah, throw barbs are definitely viable, I've seen throw barbs totally spank ubers.

About 300th spear being necessary, I honestly don't know. I wouldn't think so, as there are definitely better weapons out there, and even lamentations (and other belts) that have weapon throw bonuses.
Reply Quote
300th spear is great IF you are on a budget. It gives you a decent amount of Throw DPS for a very low cost.
Reply Quote
I've played throw barb since 1.0.5, and tested it extensively in each patch ever since. Throw barb was great before monster power because monsters didn't have that much health. By going high dps and low survivability we were able to kill monsters from a distance even if they ran away or had a lot of damage. Whirlwind barbs were holding back their damage to be able to perma wrath, and were limited by the fact that they were completely melee. They were still the best barb build but throw barb was not far behind, and was much better in coop.

Since the arrival of monster power though, whirlwind/nado barbs don't hold back their damage, but go for all out tDPS, surpassing by far any throw build. On top of this, Hammer of the Ancients and Rend were buffed, giving new alternatives for single target and AoE damage. All those things made the throw barb obsolete.

Throw is still a viable build if you want to have fun in the low MPs, but it's not efficient compared to other options. I use it to power level new characters and that's pretty much it. I hope Blizzard makes the build competitive again with the expansion.

Three hundredth spear paired with echoing fury and a lifesteal/throw belt was always the best item path for pure throw barbs, but if you want to use it with seismic slam or whirlwind/sprint, you're better off with a regular weapon.
Reply Quote
ThrowTA (Throw and HOTA) builds are incredibly viable and easy to budget too.

I made a thread about this a few days ago and have helped gear over 7 people if they promised to use the build that I have.

Check my profile. Add me pnutslicker#1667

I can help you.

And no, 300th spear is not necessary.
Reply Quote
Let me correct you guy. I used Throw and HOTA and throw Seismic Slam but i find out that HOTA and Seismic Slam is the best build for barb. Believe or not my friend Mp 10 runner WD can not keep up speed with me. I do mp 7, i do not do mp 10 because it to slow for me. Seismic slam is best Fury generator and ranged skill for barb when the situation do not allow Barb hit in close range. HOTA with Thunderstraike rune is unbeatable skill again any elites.

And i agree with 300 spear is not the best weapon for throw build. 300 spear is just good.
Important thing is Attack Speed, you should get 1,8 attack so you can get 2,4 attack per second in Avatar Mode :)

Check out my profile.
Edited by HieuCucBeo#6322 on 9/9/2013 10:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Let me correct you guy. I used Throw and HOTA and throw Seismic Slam but i find out that HOTA and Seismic Slam is the best build for barb. Believe or not my friend Mp 10 runner WD can not keep up speed with me. I do mp 7, i do not do mp 10 because it to slow for me. Seismic slam is best Fury generator and ranged skill for barb when the situation do not allow Barb hit in close range. HOTA with Thunderstraike rune is unbeatable skill again any elites.

And i agree with 300 spear is not the best weapon for throw build. 300 spear is just good.
Important thing is Attack Speed, you should get 1,8 attack so you can get 2,4 attack per second in Avatar Mode :)

Check out my profile.

MP7 is a whole lot different than MP10. As you have said, you don't do MP10 with that build because it's suddenly a lot slower.
Reply Quote
Weapon Throw fanboy reporting in.

I consider myself a "Throw Barb" because Weapon Throw is just too good to live without once you get used to it.

I've tried to ween myself off Throw a few times and i instantly feel gimped, i have to chase things? F that...

It does great damage at any visible range. It can be spammed indefinitely and even generates fury once your crit is high. It can easily keep you perma-wrathed due to it's fury cost/generation with BR. Combined with an Echoing Fury you can juggle anti-melee elites from full to dead while taking very little damage. It's also really easy to solo ubers with the Throwing Hammer (Stun) Rune considering the crazy range and near permanent stunlock.

To me it's priceless, not just viable.

Now "Throw Builds" are another thing altogether.

You would think that No Escape would be part of every great Throw build, but it isn't worth the slot. The extra fury isn't needed and actually makes perma-wrath harder. The extra damage isn't better than other damage passives.

Ancient Spear, (mentioned in the No Escape passive, seems like another Throw build Skill but it doesn't quite fit. It's just an underperforming skill overall that isn't worth the slot.

300th Spear is great for budgets, but is quickly blown away by a mace/Axe MH and EF offhand.

I hope to replace all current builds in the expansion, but i doubt ill be able to find any one skill that adds so much to any build as Weapon Throw.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]