Diablo® III

Difficulty story repetition

I was thinking about the repetition of story based on difficulty and I thought hey, wouldn't it be cool if there was a reason why i'm playing the same story over again and if there were subtle changes to the story based on difficulty.

For instance, when you get to the end of normal, after you kill diablo, something happens that makes you start over at a harder difficulty like.

ex. A third party evil character sees that you killed diablo is like "oh snap! ok im going ot rewind time to the beginning, but this time im going to make the forces of evil more powerful!" and the nephalem gets sucked into the time warp portals retaining all levels gear, and gold.

thus explaining the higher level loot and the reason why the story repeats, and each time the story repeats something different happens, something slight and hard to see unless you're really looking for it.

I understand Blizzard did this to add length to the game without having to waste extra time a resources on story, but still I think this would've allowed them to do and made more interesting.

tl; dr it would be cool if there was a reason why the story repeats but the difficulty gets harder.
Reply Quote
Would have been funny if they structured this as a remake of Run Lola Run though.
Reply Quote
ex. A third party evil character sees that you killed diablo is like "oh snap! ok im going ot rewind time to the beginning, but this time im going to make the forces of evil more powerful!" and the nephalem gets sucked into the time warp portals retaining all levels gear, and gold.

Before the game came out I actually thought they might implement something like, except perhaps not so on the nose in it's execution. As an example, after the credits a simple, "Easter-egg-ish" splash screen is shown that loosely ties the next difficulty into the lore. Given that the treasure goblins are all about getting bigger and better loot, I figured why not present a goblin holding a reverse-spinning stopwatch with the brief message, "Your journey isn't over yet, Nephalem".
Reply Quote
At least that much. In the end it doesn't really matter for a game like this, they've designed it so that each level can be repeated over and over again to find loot, the difference being they force you to repeat till inferno.

I wish it went like this though:

kill diablo...then
normal: nephalem sees 3rd party evil but because he has no previous knowledge he gets sucked back in time.
nightmare: kill diablo, 3rd party tries to kill nephalem, but fails
hell: nephalem tries to kill 3rd party, before 3rd party dies, activates time machine
inferno: nephalem finally kills 3rd party and takes time machine allowing to travel to different difficulties and story events.

***I haven't seen run lola run, I'll have to watch it.
Reply Quote
This would be met with universal complaint. "Oh, ffs bliz, now we have to play through the game FOUR TIMES to hear the whole fking story?! omfg boycott!!!!"

Yeah. Pass! Haha
Reply Quote
Yeah it would be pretty cool. All they would have to do is create a different ending cinematic for each difficulty.
Reply Quote
Are you no longer excited by Leah's tale of opening a hotel?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]