Diablo® III

[Guide] Pining for 200k dps and 500k ehp

Guide: Pining for 200 DPS/500k ehp

A lot of people want to get to 200k dps because that’s such a sweet number. This is fairly easy to attain if you know what you’re doing and how to get some good bargains on the AH.

For the record, here is my monk using the parameters of the guide: http://d3up.com/b/1207325 or http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Amiar-1992/hero/18501676 (but I can't guarantee the bnet link will always have the gear on it)

Key
    CC: Critical Hit Chance
    CD: Critical Hit Damage
    IAS: Increased attack speed
    AR: all resist
    DPS: damage per second (the damage total on your char screen)
    EHP: Effective health points (math used to add up resists, armor, vit and %life. This is how many base damage points need to be done to you before you die)

TL;DR: Which gear to use

Helm: Inna’s Radiance
    • 185+ dex
    • 170+ vit or 80+vit/9%+ life
    • 6% CC
    • 50+ AR or Single Resist (single is obv cheaper)
    • 390+base armor

Chest: Tal Rasha’s Relentless Pursuit
    • 60+ dex
    • 9% IAS
    • 240+ vit
    • 435+ base armor

Belt: The Witching Hour
    • 30+dex
    • 120+vit
    • 50+ single resist
    • 45+ CD
    • 8%+ IAS

Pants: Inna’s Temperance
    • 170+ vit
    • 95+dex
    • 9%IAS
    • 435+ base armor

Boots: Natalya’s Bloody Footprints
    • 240+ dex
    • 78+AR
    • 6% reduction
    • 580+ base armor

Shoulders: Vile Ward/Crafts
    • 250+dex (290 for crafts)
    • 80+vit
    • 75+AR
    • Additional single resist or +armor

Gloves: Rare/Crafts
    • 9%+CC
    • 30%+CD
    • 200+ dex (or lower dex and some IAS)
    • 75AR or 50+ Single resist
    • Try and get a high ilevel pair for higher armor

Bracers: Rare/Crafts (should really be crafts)
    • 250+ dex
    • 5%+ CC
    • 75+ AR
    • Additional single resist or vitality

Amulet: Rare/Crafts(should really be crafts)
    • 200+ dex
    • 9%+CC
    • 80%+CD
    • Vit/%life/resist roll (kind of optional depending on how good the dps is)

Ring1: Rare
    • 70+ dex
    • 5%+CC
    • 30%+CD
    • 40+ average damage
    • Single resist(40+) or Vit

Ring2: Natalya’s Reflection (OPTION 1)
    • 5%CC
    • 9% IAS
    • Socket
    • Single resist roll (40+)

Ring2: Natalya’s Reflection (OPTION 2)
    • 40+ average damage
    • 30%+ CD
    • 9% IAS
    • Single resist

Weapon1: Rare sword/axe (OPTION 1)
    • 1140+ base damage
    • 50%+CD
    • 2.3+LS
    • Socket

Weapon1: Rare sword/axe (OPTION 2)
    • 1060+ base damage
    • 100+ dex
    • 50%+ CD
    • 2.3+ LS
    • Socket

Weapon2: Echoing fury/Rare sword/axe (should really be echo to hit that dps benchmark)
    • 1200+ DPS
    • 150 dex and 50+CD or 250+dex (dex only is cheaper)
    • Open Socket
    • .23+ Attacks Per Second

Overall stats (using my base amounts and not the optional +) Also, lets assume we are using +50 dex gems and +100% CD gems in both weapons. There are a lot of different gear variation, so this is just a minimum target.

*****Now that ROS has been announced and marquise gems will drop as the most common base gem drop, I highly suggest not using higher than a +54 dex gem in gear, a 17% life gem in helm. I do still suggest using Radiants in weapons though. This is due to the fact that 8 radiant stars are about 200m more than 8 of the lower tier. When ROS hits all non-marquise gems will pretty much be worthless. You've been warned!

For lvl 60 paragon 0
    • Dexterity +1977
    • Vitality + 780 (if you don’t get any on jewelry, bracers or gloves)
    • CC: 52%
    • CD: 532%
    • IAS: +35%
    • AR: 303 (boot, bracer, glove, shoulder)
    • Single Res: 230
    • Base armor with STI should be above 4500

With the above stats and decent weapons you will be on your way to achieving 200k dps and pretty good EHP. This is more or less a baseline to get you there for the cheapest way possible.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING KNOW THESE THINGS! (borrowed from Piffle’s thread)
    • Set a Budget. You can do this with 500m from scratch. More isn’t necessary.
    • Be patient. Bidding on items is the second best way to get a cheap item. The best way is to camp the AH and snipe, but ain’t nobody got time for that!
    • Be flexible. If that nats ring has 4.5 cc and not 5cc, but the 4.5 has 60 lightning resist, get that and make up the dps elsewhere!
    • Use a damage calculator to test items out beforehand! http://theasiangamer.com/d3-damage-calculator/ is an awesome resource. D3up is also a good resource for helping to calculate EHP
    • Craft your mother-loving heart out. FIRST. Having a nice base set of crafts can allow you to make better purchases. I crafted a bynch of nice AR/Lightning Resist crafts, so I knew then I would choose LR as my single resist on all the things I purchased. Always save decent crafts in case you either change resists or drop OWE completely some day.

Now I will do the super boring thing of explaining why you should choose each item the way I did.

First of all, at this gear level the following should be true for DPS gains per stat
    • 1 Dex= 50+dps
    • 1%CC= 2500+ dps
    • 1%CD= 250+ dps
    • 1%IAS= 1200+ dps
    • 1 min or max dmg= 100+dps
    • 1 socket= 2500+ dps (assume 50 dex gem)

Knowing this we can go forward making informed decisions about where to get the most of each dps stat on an item. You really want to avoid going for a little bit of each dps stat on each item since that is generally more expensive than getting more of a single dps stat. This way we can know the following might be true
    • 90 dex is worse than 50 dex and socket the latter will be better
    • 20 min damage and 30 dex is better than 60 dex

The combinations are basically endless.

The same is true for EHP. You don’t want to try and get resists AND vitality on every piece of gear. Chest and Legs (and helm in this case) should be wholly reserved for stacking HP stats. It’s the cheapest and smartest way to get your HP up! Likewise, certain pieces lend themselves to mitigation stacking (armor and resists) like nat’s boots. If you didn’t want to go with high dex nats boots, the best next option would be to get 50+ of your second resist and 190+ dex, since vit is SO expensive on nat’s boots.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, lets take a look at each piece by itself.

Helm: Inna’s Radiance ~30-80m gold
    • 185+ dex
    • 170+ vit or 80+vit/9%+ life
    • 6% CC
    • 50+ AR or Single Resist (single is obv cheaper)
    • 390+base armor

This helm comes with 2 bonus rolls. Dex can roll up to 200 and base vit up to 100 and CC up to 6. You want your 2 bonus rolls to be extra vit and a single resist, since these two things contribute the most to your EHP. Note, instead of an extra vit roll, you can also get by with a % life roll. Use a calculator and figure out which combo is better for the price.

The reason I didn't choose Mempo in this slot is because the combines stats of a 6cc innas and Tal Rasha's chest can only really be beat out by a 5 or 6cc Mempo, which costs 600m+ gold. Why spend all that on one item when you can get comparable stats for way cheaper?!

Chest: Tal Rasha’s Relentless Pursuit ~30-50m
    • 60+ dex
    • 9% IAS
    • 240+ vit
    • 435+ base armor

The reason why we don’t use Inna’s chest is because it is not needed. We already have the 2 set bonus of 130 dex with the pants, and the 3 set bonus blows, so let’s get some more dps and EHP out of our chest slot. Tal’s comes with IAS base as well as an int roll, vit roll (30-100) and 3 sockets. We want our bonus rolls to be dex/vit and vit. This will allow us to get the MOST EHP out of the chest possible. Moreso than even a 130 vit/50 single res combo. The only thing that might beat it is an insane 180vit/80AR combo, but that price would be nuts!

Belt: The Witching Hour ~30-50m
    • 30+dex
    • 120+vit
    • 50+ single resist
    • 45+ CD
    • 8%+ IAS

If you want high DPS, you have to use this belt, there’s no 2 ways about it. It comes with CD, IAS and int as base rolls and 3 bonus rolls. We’re looking for dex/vit, vit, and single resist for the rolls. Vit can roll up to 180 on this belt, and add in a single resist and it’s doing well in the EHP department. That’s why you want this belt, so you can stack EHP. Don’t take an 80dex/90vit one. Take the 30 dex/180 vit one. We can make up the dps elsewhere. The higher you can get the IAS and CD rolls, the lower you can get the dex.

Pants: Inna’s Temperance ~50m+
    • 170+ vit
    • 95+dex
    • 9%IAS
    • 435+ base armor

These pants only come with one bonus roll, and since they are pants, a single vit roll can be up to 200. We are going to settle for a 170+ vit pant. Why vit? Because it’s more EHP than a single resist all day, and even more than 80AR (but I wouldn’t not use the 80AR if you got a deal on it). Get as much dex and IAS as your budget allows, every bit counts. We also use these pants over rares or other legendaries like BT pants or depth diggers because they complete the 2 piece set bonus of 130 dex and they have 1%cc and move speed!

Boots: Natalya’s Bloody Footprints ~5m+
    • 240+ dex
    • 78+AR
    • 6% reduction
    • 580+ base armor

This 2 piece set bonus is super OP. 7%CC. It’s a lot of damage and we can’t pass it up. Nat’s boots can roll 90-100 or 170-200 base dex, 71-80 AR, 5-6% damage resist and +241-265 armor. It comes with one bonus roll. What we’re hoping for here is a high dex base roll and a bonus roll of additional dex in addition to another stat like STR or INT. If your budget allows a vit roll, go for it. If you’re hurting for EHP here, get 190+dex/50+single resist boots for more solid EHP.

Shoulders: Vile Ward/Crafts
    • 250+dex (290 for crafts)
    • 80+vit
    • 75+AR
    • Additional single resist or +armor

You should really be using crafts for this slot since they can roll over 320 dex, and dex is the only dps stat on shoulders, so you need as much as you can get. Ideally get as much dex as you can. If you’re shopping for vile wards, which come with 2 bonus rolls in addition to base mainstat, AR, armor and regen, you should look for dex/vit, vit or dex/vit, single resist. Those would look like 250+dex/130+vit or 250+dex/70+vit/50+ SR. %life might also be a viable roll on wards. Check em out.

Additionally, on crafts your end goal is 280+ dex and 120+ vit with a % life roll in addition to 70+AR and either a single resist, armor roll, or STR roll (for armor)

Gloves: Rare/Crafts
    • 9%+CC
    • 30%+CD
    • 200+ dex (or lower dex and some IAS)
    • 75AR or 50+ Single resist
    • Try and get a high ilevel pair for higher armor

This is the most fickle dps piece in my opinion. CC is non-negotiable, and I would say that CD is too, but a solid 10cc/9ias roll might beat out what you have, especially if it rolls with nice EHP stats. For gloves you should be crafting BOAs. Look for AR in addition to vit and/or another single resist. The hardest thing about gloves is balancing the dps gain and ehp loss. You can’t give up too much EHP or lose too much DPS. Craft a bunch and find what works.

Bracers: Rare/Crafts
    • 250+ dex
    • 5%+ CC
    • 75+ AR
    • Additional single resist or vitality

These should be crafts. These should not be lacunis. Lacuni Prowlers do not allow for enough valuable EHP rolls to be in contest with crafted BOA rares. Like gloves, you just need to craft a ton of these first to see which works well with your setup.

Amulet: Rare/Crafts
    • 200+ dex
    • 9%+CC
    • 80%+CD
    • Vit/%life/resist roll (kind of optional depending on how good the dps is)

The crafted amulet is the single item that will save you the most money for the stats it can put out. A nicely rolled crafted amulet can easily be valued at 500m, or even 1b+ to comparable AH amulets. They’re just too good. Look for high CC and CD rolls paired with extra dex, a socket, average damage, or if you’re lucky, IAS. An additional EHP roll of AR, single resist, vit (up to 200 for 1 roll) and %life (up to 16%) can REALLY help out your EHP situation. Craft a bunch of these and cross your fingers.

Ring1: Rare 70m+
    • 70+ dex
    • 5%+CC
    • 30%+CD
    • 40+ average damage
    • Single resist(40+) or Vit

If you don’t care about gimping yourself with a hellfire ring, get a rare ring! These things can often be found for fairly cheap. Shop around for the right stat combo. You can easily trade off some dex for average damage, or 1 CC for a couple CD. Look for deals and be super patient with this slot!

Ring2: Natalya’s Reflection (OPTION 1) ~90m+
    • 5%CC
    • 9% IAS
    • Socket
    • Single resist roll (40+)

I use this nat’s ring. It’s simple and works well with TR if you want to switch. Remember, a socket can be 2500+dps, which is the same as 10 CD, 20 average damage, and 1%cc.

Ring2: Natalya’s Reflection (OPTION 2)
    • 40+ average damage
    • 30%+ CD
    • 9% IAS
    • Single resist

This is a popular choice too. Shop around and compare these to what you currently use and see which ring is right for you.

Weapon1: Rare sword/axe (OPTION 1) ~100m+
    • 1140+ base damage
    • 50%+CD
    • 2.3+LS
    • Socket

Sometimes dropping the dex can net you more dps! Look for a sword or axe. You want your total weapon LS to be above 5, ideally, so if you get a 2.3 here, look for a 2.7 on the second wep, if you’re going dual LS. If going single LS I highly recommend getting 2.7+ here.

One rule with buying weapons is to not skimp! These are what ALL your damage is based off of, don’t go for something crappy!

Also, don’t try and get vit on your weapon. This might seem like a good idea, but what you will end up doing is either a) gimp the dps of the weapon, or b)when you replace that weapon suddenly you tanked your EHP and have to regear a couple pieces to get the EHP back.

Weapon1: Rare sword/axe (OPTION 2) ~100m+
    • 1060+ base damage
    • 100+ dex
    • 50%+ CD
    • 2.3+ LS
    • Socket

Sometimes getting dex IS better! Do a comparison to see which weapon is better. Same thing here with the LS

Weapon2: Echoing fury/Rare sword/axe (should really be echo to hit that dps benchmark) ~100m+
    • 1200+ DPS
    • 150 dex and 50+CD or 250+dex (dex only is cheaper)
    • Open Socket
    • .23+ Attacks Per Second

If using a rare, remember to balance the LS and to follow the advice above.

If using an EF you have 2 choices for your 2 bonus rolls. One roll with be socket. The second can be either CD or dex. The dex roll will be the cheaper option, but who knows. Compare the 2 and shop around. Sometimes getting a higher damage and lower dex EF is also possible. Once again, do a comparison.

As an addendum. An EF is a noob weapon that people only use to get high DPS sheet numbers. In reality, when playing solo or in a group, most of the time the fear proc leaves other, stationary, dps classes in the dust, or leaves you chasing crap all over creation. Do everyone a favor, when in a group, never ever use an EF, no matter how much it inflates your ego, you're just making the whole group go slower.

What build can I use with this?

Good question. You should be able to pull off cookie cutter, Crip Wave(RT) cyclone/EP machine, Nirvana (you might have to drop STI), and by subbing in a couple pieces you can also do TR.

I tried to cover everything I can think of in this guide. Thanks to Spear-chucker for showing me the way of buying awesome weapons and armor on the cheap. If you have any questions, please feel free to post!
Edited by Amiar#1992 on 12/2/2013 10:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
Still Pining? Are you poor?

Check this out. I used the same ideas in the above posts for gearing and just dumbed it down a little (okay, a lot on some pieces). At p100 I achieved the following stats for under 10m gold and there are no BOA crafts used. All gems are also flawless square gems only.

Stats for p100
    - 392,075 EHP
    - 39,231 hp
    - 5102 armor
    - 525 resist all
    - 2.9 LS
    - 102,542 dps
    -46% crit chance
    -317% crit damage

Price for each item:
    1,000,000 - Inna's Radiance
    800,000- Tal Rasha's Relentless Pursuit
    1,000,000 - The Witching Hour
    1,000,000 - Inna's Temperance
    900,000- Natalya's Bloody Footprints
    1,000,000 - Vile Ward
    300,000- Rare Ring
    1,000,000- Natalya's Reflection
    1,000,000- Amulet
    1,000,000- Strongarm Bracers
    890,000 - Echoing Fury
    99,99 - Rare Weapon

Total Price: 9,989,999 gold

The gear can be seen here http://d3up.com/b/1054114

Granted the stats will be lower for a p0 character (by 200vit and 300 dex), but it's still a decent set that can easily handle mp4 or 5 pretty efficiently.

--------------
This just goes to show that you can apply these same principals to any price range and any budget to fit whatever mp level you can afford.
Edited by Amiar#1992 on 9/11/2013 7:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Good guide, just a small addition. %life is also an option for Vile Ward and can give similar results as the vit roll and at least when I purchased mine, the %life was considerably cheaper than the vit version.
Reply Quote
View profile
tag
Reply Quote
Nice gear guide!
Reply Quote
View profile
Very well done great guide
Reply Quote
09/11/2013 03:53 AMPosted by Metalsvinet
Good guide, just a small addition. %life is also an option for Vile Ward and can give similar results as the vit roll and at least when I purchased mine, the %life was considerably cheaper than the vit version.

Thanks, I added that in there and went into a bit more detail on crafted shoulders.
Reply Quote
09/10/2013 10:28 PMPosted by Amiar
Be flexible. If that nats ring has 4.5 cc and not 5cc, but the 4.5 has 60 lightning resist, get that and make up the dps elsewhere!

This is the point most won't get -.-
But nice list, should help a few people... :)
Reply Quote
Excellent guide!
Reply Quote
Nice guide. As you mention, flexibility across gear is very key. There may be cheap Dex/Str Inna's pants on the market, and I've found that a 250 Vit/Resist Tal Rasha's is often cheaper than a 80 Dex / 250 Vit one. Gotta shift that DPS and EHP around to where you can get it cheapest. The money saved can be spent elsewhere.

Also, people often ignore the armor on their gear. I really like that you lead people towards higher armor rolls.

Very nice guide Amiar.
Reply Quote
@Amiar

Good job making things clear for new monks.
Reply Quote
Excellent guide! Sticky requested.
Reply Quote
Thanks guys!

@Demi: You're right about the armor. For legendaries there can be a swing of 50 or 70 points, so the difference between high and low can be about 300-400 armor over your whole set of gear. That's like 800 dex from STI!
Reply Quote
Damn, I didn't realize you were taking notes. :-)

It really is a good guide though.

Spear
Reply Quote
Nice guide for the newcomers!

Thanks Amiar for the write up.
Reply Quote
Thanks fitz! I haven't messed around with the spec a lot, but that helps.
Reply Quote
09/11/2013 05:56 PMPosted by Amiar
Thanks fitz! I haven't messed around with the spec a lot, but that helps.

still very impressive ... get me thinking outside the box about what to buy on gears... though to change now will require too much on most ... = /

hmm I'll look for your advised helm though =)
Reply Quote
Added a new section in post #2 about poor people and lower dps gear sets!
Reply Quote
Very nice guide! Do you have a 2Hand version of this?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]