Diablo® III

looking for "unconventional" builds to play

hey guys,

looking for "unconventional" and fun barb builds to play. doesn't have to be optimal - just have to be fun. trying to get away from any hota or ww based builds.

I am currently running a cleave + bloodshed build and it's fairly fun seeing monsters explode. I tried a weapon throw build but it didnt feel too barb like.

would love to see a build with frenzy as a main attack, if such thing exists.

thanks!
Reply Quote
Frenzy build?

Mouse
Frenzy - Side Arm
Revenge - provocation

Over power - Killing spree
Battle Rage - Blood shed or Mauraders
Wrath of Berserker - Insanity (For Elites)
Warcry - Impunity

Passives
Ruthless
Weapon Master
Berserker Rage
Reply Quote
Hi! If you want unconventional build, that is fun to play with, check out my Barbarian. I've made HotA as my main attack and Fury generator and even though I have really low paper-DPS it's way more as HotA-Smash deals 403% DMG with each blow. This kinda build isn't that expensive to build, only pain in the buttocks to find the right gear with maxed out Fury reduction for HotA... I loved playing with Cleave as it made enemies go *BOOM* thus using HotA makes it even more appealing visually and it feels like Barbarians should feel like, massive damage and power with each blow!
Reply Quote
thx - how high of mp can u do with this build, assuming med budget gearing?
Reply Quote
I'm running MP5 myself and most valuable item was my helmet that I got especially for this set, it cost me 3M. For this build to work you need Mara's Kaleidoscope (HotA -5), Stone of Jordan, (HotA -5), Skull Grasp (HotA -4) and pretty much any 2H Mighty Weapon with as high as possible Damage and HotA reduction -5. All of those I scored for less than 3M per piece, cheapest ones being as low as 200K or such. I went for the full IK's set bonus to optimize fury regeneration as much as possible so that I can keep full Fury pretty much always. Only when I activate Rend or WotB in the middle of combat it suffers a downtime of roughly a second or two. Try to get LS in both, belt and weapon, the higher the better.
Reply Quote
09/08/2013 07:44 AMPosted by creazur
I'm running MP5 myself and most valuable item was my helmet that I got especially for this set, it cost me 3M. For this build to work you need Mara's Kaleidoscope (HotA -5), Stone of Jordan, (HotA -5), Skull Grasp (HotA -4) and pretty much any 2H Mighty Weapon with as high as possible Damage and HotA reduction -5. All of those I scored for less than 3M per piece, cheapest ones being as low as 200K or such. I went for the full IK's set bonus to optimize fury regeneration as much as possible so that I can keep full Fury pretty much always. Only when I activate Rend or WotB in the middle of combat it suffers a downtime of roughly a second or two. Try to get LS in both, belt and weapon, the higher the better.

if you can find a hota -5 SoJ for 3m please post where you find them, because I've looked, and I haven't found one yet, I believe the cheapest I've seen was ~60m? maybe more
Edited by henry#1793 on 9/8/2013 8:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/08/2013 08:12 AMPosted by henry
if you can find a hota -5 SoJ for 3m please post where you find them, because I've looked, and I haven't found one yet, I believe the cheapest I've seen was ~60m? maybe more

I found mine from GAH for 1M if I recall right. I suppose I got lucky with that one, but I bet there'll be more if you just keep on looking actively.
Reply Quote
09/08/2013 09:06 AMPosted by creazur

I found mine from GAH for 1M if I recall right. I suppose I got lucky with that one, but I bet there'll be more if you just keep on looking actively.
that may explain it a lil, you have a 20% bve one,and also on EU, I believe the market values are different on both, however I might be wrong
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bZQcRP!egV!aZZccZ

Changed from Broad Sweep to Rupture to allow a mini-AoE which will spread Rend's 2nd AoE upon enemies death, and if you crit you have a chance to pop Battle Cries AoE - which is probably the largest AoE proc you have - based on the animation.

I use this on MP5 and have no problem from solo to full game.
Reply Quote

Changed from Broad Sweep to Rupture to allow a mini-AoE which will spread Rend's 2nd AoE upon enemies death, and if you crit you have a chance to pop Battle Cries AoE - which is probably the largest AoE proc you have - based on the animation.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bZcVRP!YZg!aZZZaZ
This is my former Cleave-HotA-build and there's only little differences when comparing these two so I support your view of that build.

09/08/2013 09:50 AMPosted by henry

that may explain it a lil, you have a 20% bve one,and also on EU, I believe the market values are different on both, however I might be wrong

I guess too that market prices are different since what I've read from US forums for advices and prices, the prices have been most of the time way over compared to EU prices. Of course there has been exceptions to this, but mostly it has been that way for what I've seen.
Reply Quote
09/08/2013 09:50 AMPosted by henry

Someone who added me got a budget soj, 6/23/-4 holy for 2 mill..
Reply Quote
So many people suggesting builds with HOTA...Did you not read the post?
Reply Quote
09/08/2013 04:59 PMPosted by RagingKoala

Someone who added me got a budget soj, 6/23/-4 holy for 2 mill..
o_O......
Reply Quote
haha its all good - keep the ideas coming :)

is it possible to run a competent s&b build without hota?
Reply Quote
09/08/2013 05:01 PMPosted by PnutsLicker

The options are limited - Warcry is probably unnecessary unless the defenses are really that bad, in which case you can adjust the MP. I suppose the alternative to HoTA would be Seismic Slam, Earthquake, or Call of the Ancients.... hmm....maybe use Earthquake with Mountain's Call and pick up Boon of Bul-Kathos to further reduce it's cooldown to 75 seconds, in addition to WotB down to 90 seconds.

That could be viable if your defenses are solid and don't need a defensive passive.

This is my former Cleave-HotA-build and there's only little differences when comparing these two so I support your view of that build.

Why do you use Revenge? I tried it, assuming I'd proc it more often as I'm taking more hits I'd see it go off more often. But the crit buff is longer so I'd assume that'd compensate for the different in Overpower.
Reply Quote
I just made a stupid build just now that was prettty fun.

Grab the most dmg skorn you can with good crit dmg and a socket. LS is bonus

Max out on Crit Dmg and Crit if you can

Berserker with insanity -> 100% dmg
Battler age with Maurader -> 30% dmg
Earthquake with whatever rune you want
Sprint with the hurricane proc
Cleave with dmg enhance for AOE and Fury

Run around until you grab a giant mob and a few elite packs -> Turn on Bers and Earthquake and cleave away.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WcRTjP!ZXY!cZabZZ

Frenzy plus rend. Usual buffs to boost frenzy damage. Don't forget the IK belt with up to 14% frenzy damage.

Berserker rage/marauders for 30% damage. please.

Then chuck in the entire rage trio of skills. WotB but with insanity, earth quake and bul kathos.

Why?

Why the heck not? If the timers are all 120 seconds, you have one of them ready to go every 40 odd seconds so you've got something to chuck at an elite pack or goblin or whatever the requirement may be.

Like you requested, may not be too efficient but I reckon it could be fun.

Hmmm, think I'll try it tonite myself....
Reply Quote
If you have a decent 1h mighty weapon you could try the Bloodshed variant of DW/RLTW. With a mighty weapon equipped each explosion from Bloodshed counts as an attack. You need lots of CC to pull it off and the build handles single targets poorly, but the build completely smashes large mobs. In the off-hand, you can throw a cheap Sever to add immense damage to surround enemies from bloodshed provoking its special affix 'Slain enemies rest in pieces'. Bloodshed is one of those few runes that you can transfer a portion of Sever's obscene damage off an enemy's death like the DH's Marked for Death->Grim Reaper. I largely had no trouble maintaining WOTB off the trash. I found the build to be pretty fun and actually very effective at clearing trash. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#hVUQPR!WYZ!ZZZZcc
Edited by tekkazerox#1174 on 9/8/2013 11:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/08/2013 07:02 PMPosted by Dekaroe

The options are limited - Warcry is probably unnecessary unless the defenses are really that bad, in which case you can adjust the MP. I suppose the alternative to HoTA would be Seismic Slam, Earthquake, or Call of the Ancients.... hmm....maybe use Earthquake with Mountain's Call and pick up Boon of Bul-Kathos to further reduce it's cooldown to 75 seconds, in addition to WotB down to 90 seconds.

That could be viable if your defenses are solid and don't need a defensive passive.

Why do you use Revenge? I tried it, assuming I'd proc it more often as I'm taking more hits I'd see it go off more often. But the crit buff is longer so I'd assume that'd compensate for the different in Overpower.

Revenge was good for the crit buff that came with it plus in addition it dealt decent damage and returned nice amount of health. So it was kind of multitool-skill that I could have lived without, but I liked playing with it
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]