Diablo® III

Diablo 2 LOD - 2d open gl vs 3d open gl

90 Orc Warrior
The game runs fine but if i try to run the video test or skip and just select 3d open gl (it's on 2d open gl) when i launch the game I get an error message (i'm not 100% sure what that error message is and would have to recreate he problem to check it again) but if I put it back on 2d open gl it works fine again. My question is probably a noob question but what is the difference between the two and should I just continue playing with 2dopen gl or should I try to find a fix?

CPU i7 3930 k (running around 4.2 ghz)
GPU - gtx 780 two way sli (running around 1110 mhz I think)
Motherboard - Asus rampage extreme iv

Thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
320.49 is my current driver, not that i think i matters considering how old this game is (it's not a beta driver) Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Bump
Reply Quote
From what I remember the 3D mode adds a "parallax" effect to certain tall objects. So things like trees and buildings perspective will change as your character moves around them. I think it also improves the lighting a little bit. For example, waypoints blue flames will emite a blue glow on the surrounding terrain and Fireball spells will output a orange glow on the surroundings. It's definitely not needed though. Most likely the 3D mode requires some specific old driver features that are no longer supported in new video cards and drivers.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
09/07/2013 10:52 PMPosted by Thander
From what I remember the 3D mode adds a "parallax" effect to certain tall objects. So things like trees and buildings perspective will change as your character moves around them. I think it also improves the lighting a little bit. For example, waypoints blue flames will emite a blue glow on the surrounding terrain and Fireball spells will output a orange glow on the surroundings. It's definitely not needed though. Most likely the 3D mode requires some specific old driver features that are no longer supported in new video cards and drivers.

Thank you sir, for your accurate and detailed response.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]