Diablo® III

Have you guys seen POE patch history?

PoE is free, D3 you paid 59.99 for and is more simplified in 90% of its ways vs. PoE and is puddle shallow compared to PoE.
Reply Quote
PoE is patching like mad because it needs it just to be playable. The net code is awful, the mob AI is awful, the talent tree is completely unbalanced and they have already said a lot of the content isn't implemented yet. I play PoE, I even like the game but the game has a heavy patch history because it desperately needs it.

D3's gameplay is top notch, best aRPG on the market easily in this aspect. They need a systems design overhaul and that isn't something you do easily. They are probably taking the right approach to do it in the expansion because they have to completely break the backbone of the game and rebuild it. I doubt it will work to be honest and I personally don't expect to buy the expansion but the two games are in very different states.
Edited by Ender#1738 on 9/9/2013 6:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-forum/patch-notes

Just saying.

(ps, can't really get into POE, prefer diablo 3, but I really don't believe it should take so long for the blizz team to give us updates)

Not that Blizzard couldn't learn from GGG's example in some areas, and I'd love to see more frequent communication, rather than the long periods of radio silence that we get, but remember that PoE is officially still in beta, and the startup screen still warns that "there will be bugs." I'd say that the greater volume of patches and updates isn't all that surprising, given that GGG's game is still in development. PoE's in a different part of the game life cycle; its proud parents are still showing us pictures of their fast-developing infant, so to speak.
Reply Quote
PoE is patching like mad because it needs it just to be playable. The net code is awful, the mob AI is awful, the talent tree is completely unbalanced and they have already said a lot of the content isn't implemented yet. I play PoE, I even like the game but the game has a heavy patch history because it desperately needs it.

D3's gameplay is top notch, best aRPG on the market easily in this aspect. They need a systems design overhaul and that isn't something you do easily. They are probably taking the right approach to do it in the expansion because they have to completely break the backbone of the game and rebuild it. I doubt it will work to be honest and I personally don't expect to buy the expansion but the two games are in very different states.

You kinda destroyed your upsell of D3 there saying they need to overhaul the system and breaking the backbone in the expac and rebuild it, only in the expac? LOL Sorry mate but to rebuild a system you generally start from the begnining, not an add-on and halfway in.
PoE is playable, they didn't even charge you for all their content and upcoming content. Not to mention taht the game is incomplete as well vs. D3 which is complete and seems to have lost its dedicated market to PoE in terms of competitive gameplay. D3's gameplay is bland, it's just mindless killing, might as well go play dynasty warriors and the like, it's the exact same stuff different camera angle and theme. at least in PoE you can think about gear stats and builds and changing meta and races. D3 mindless grind, kill, meaningless stats.

You can say net code is awful but I can say you can still rubberband dc die in D3 which is equally as bad except you lose an entire character. in PoE you just get moved to a different league considering both games at hand.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 9/9/2013 6:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You cant compare POE and D3
You cant compare WOW and EVE

different products for different demographics

same genre, yes, but thats not enough to compare them
Reply Quote
So is PoE worth trying out?

I was a half a click from diving in tonight. I want something to do instead of trolling (perusing) the forums here for the next year or 18 months.

Actually playing D3 is completely unrewarding right now. QQ

I would say that depends thoroughly on what you like about your ARPG. I'll focus on what PoE does since you already know about D3.

- D3 offers very fluid combat and physics. PoE's combat is somewhat clunkier (though it has gotten better) and no physics engine.
    - PoE starts you out slow, but combat speed picks up after a while.
    - PoE has lot of different leagues and races, which D3 doesn't. For example, there's not only HC and SC, there also is "Anarchy" with special mobs (AI controlled player characters) and drops, and "Onslaught" which plays like a hardcore Hardcore mode (faster monster that attack and cast faster).

Apart from that, I would generally say: if you enjoy building a character in different ways, then PoE would be for you. If you like a dark atmosphere, it is for you. If you like tinkering with items, it is for you. If you like the parts of "ARPG" that are not solely action, it is for you.

And it's free. I would simply try it out for myself. It's definitely more for the "hardcore" crowd.
Edited by Muesli#2215 on 9/9/2013 10:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
a lot of the patches aren't just patches, they all add content to it. (except for the letters, those are just fixing bugs).

Also this isn't a bash diablo because of POE thread.

I just feel like diablo could be more pro active in it's patching is all. Content, balacing of abilities, so many abilities don't get used. I think each month the least used abilities should get some loving.
Edited by FinalBoss#1402 on 9/13/2013 3:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-forum/patch-notes

Just saying.

(ps, can't really get into POE, prefer diablo 3, but I really don't believe it should take so long for the blizz team to give us updates)

I'm guessing it has to do with their game engine. Look at another completely different game, Borderlands 2. They're using the unreal engine, within the first year there were 4 added campaigns to the original game, now 5 plus two sets of character level increases. They're not just updates, it's big time added content.

Now I wouldn't want D3 to be using Unreal either but it seems to me the probable cause is the game engine.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]