Diablo® III

Medium/Hard without reward = Bad Design

Yes, it is.

Because of medium and hard difficulty didn't provide any incentive or bonus to the players, the player who wants to grind at Inferno effectively can only either choose Easy or Master 1. There is no in between for the player to choose.

As least for PC version, the player can steadily increases the Monster Power when he felt that his character is too strong for current monster level (mp 0), and can go slightly further for better chances of getting items at next MP level (mp1).

In console version, as long as your character cannot survive in Master 1, you are forced to farm at Easy until you get better gear for Master 1 even if your character can One-shot everything in Easy Mode.

Something must be done for the difficulty mode.
Reply Quote
Getting to master 1 doesn't take that much effort though man. I haven't dropped below master 1 since act 2 of normal. I hear ya, it would be nice to have med and hard have an incentive, but those are traditional console difficulties. Many people playing the game may never have played the PC game, adn they expect a console game to have an easy/med/hard setting.

The other thing is some people just want a challenge. I cant stand playing a game on easy. I need to feel like there is some kind of challenge for me to progress.
Reply Quote
No, it isn't.

The player who wants to grind at Inferno effectively can either choose Easy or Master 1. There's no reason for an in-between.

In the console version, as long as your character cannot survive in Master 1, you can farm any of the three base difficulty levels until you get better gear for Master 1, although it'd be easiest in Easy because your character can one-shot everything.

Nothing needs to be done for the difficulty mode.
Reply Quote
I agree that medium and hard are pointless modes. No reward and no loot difference from easy? Why even have them then? Why not just a"Normal" mode, then Master 1?
Reply Quote
Most games offer medium/hard difficulties with no reward. Why is it bad because the even harder difficulties offer rewards?
Reply Quote
09/13/2013 10:28 AMPosted by JoeLimon
Most games offer medium/hard difficulties with no reward. Why is it bad because the even harder difficulties offer rewards?

It's not a bad thing, they just seem pointless? I don't know about you, but I didn't level to 60 on hard. I did it on easy since it was MUCH faster and the Exp was the same as if I had done it on hard. If i had gotten better drops/more exp on hard, it would have been an incentive to play on the higher difficulty.

Tl:dr Medium and hard, does anyone actually play them?
Reply Quote
I played on Normal for a while because I didn't realize that there was no incentive to play on that difficulty. Once I realized that, I switched to Easy. Not because of the fact that I didn't want a challenge, but because I've already leveled like 5 60's on the PC version, and I know this game fairly well so I didn't want to add any more time to the 1-60 leveling process.

I do think that the difficulties should stay, but I do agree that having no incentive to play on them is a little strange. But then again those difficulties are in the vast majority of console games, so to exclude them entirely would also be strange. Putting both in leaves that decision up to the players, and to exclude them would raise tons of questions from the console only community. You can't win unfortunately.
Reply Quote
I currently am playing medium difficulty with my friends. Most PS3 games have easy, normal, and hard difficulty so although there is no benefit to picking medium over easy, I still have a sense of gratification when I play on medium and not easy.

My friends do not own the PC version and they like the challenge that medium brings to the table over easy.

I do not think that it is pointless to have the separate difficulties since some people like myself like the challenge for the sake of challenge and not for any other benefit other than a good game.

I am playing my hardcore monk on easy though lol
Reply Quote
if you want to play hard mode, why dont you take master I, there isnt much different between hard and master I.

Challenge without reward is bad, why would you take more time for nothing?
Reply Quote
Have you ever played another console game on any difficulty other than easy? My friends didn't feel like starting on easy or hard. They felt that medium would be a good starting point.

The reward for me is that I accomplished something more difficult than an easy mode. It may not be much, but it is rewarding for my friends and I.

Ultimately, is there any reason to complain about different difficulty levels on the console? I think most people would agree that the console version is much easier than the PC version. My friends do not do much gaming and seem to do pretty well on medium difficulty. I see no reason to change it to easy just because I do not get a "reward" for it.

Again, the reward comes from challenging myself and to beat more powerful minions. I do not need incentives such as more MF to want to challenge myself.

If you say that you only play console games on easy difficulty, then maybe you should try to challenge yourself a bit more. You may like it...or not lol
Reply Quote
Again, the reward comes from challenging myself and to beat more powerful minions. I do not need incentives such as more MF to want to challenge myself.

Then maybe you should ask the Blizzard to remove the Master difficulty bonus as well since you love to play something that don't give reward except a satisfaction as gamer.

As someone said it, the Medium and Hard are completely pointless. If I want to challenge myself, I will pick MASTER instead since I can enjoy the challenge and reward both at the same time.

Currently, it is all about EASY and MASTER when it comes to farming.
Reply Quote
Mp0 on the pc keeps the same ilvl 61-63 drop rates before mp came out, least it use to. What I wanna know is if you're on easy act 1 or 2(on console) does it keep the same low ilvl 63 drop rates as no mp on the pc? If so, act 1 and 2 in inferno should benefit from better ilvl 63 drop rates on medium(mp2)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7540457/monster-power-more-guts-more-glory-10-11-2012

Check the patch 1.04 drop rates pre mp. Act 1=5% chance for ilvl 63. Mp makes all acts equal drop rates, like act 3 no mp. 16% ilvl 63 drop rate.

Since easy = mp0... Is it suffering from the 5% 63 drop rate in act1? If so, medium is not pointless, as it would triple your ilvl 63 drop rates(best items) but hard would give no benefit other than challenge

Would be quite hard to test as we can't see items ilvl and since they are already ID'd we can't tell the items ilvl by the name either(archon armor=63, sovereign=62, doom=61)
Edited by Pariah#1412 on 9/14/2013 8:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Mp0 on the pc keeps the same ilvl 61-63 drop rates before mp came out, least it use to. What I wanna know is if you're on easy act 1 or 2(on console) does it keep the same low ilvl 63 drop rates as no mp on the pc? If so, act 1 and 2 in inferno should benefit from better ilvl 63 drop rates on medium(mp2)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7540457/monster-power-more-guts-more-glory-10-11-2012

Check the patch 1.04 drop rates pre mp. Act 1=5% chance for ilvl 63. Mp makes all acts equal drop rates, like act 3 no mp. 16% ilvl 63 drop rate.

Since easy = mp0... Is it suffering from the 5% 63 drop rate in act1? If so, medium is not pointless, as it would triple your ilvl 63 drop rates(best items) but hard would give no benefit other than challenge

Would be quite hard to test as we can't see items ilvl and since they are already ID'd we can't tell the items ilvl by the name either(archon armor=63, sovereign=62, doom=61)

I'm wondering the same. See http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9972357215#5
I did get ilvl 62+ set items from Act 1 inferno when playing on hard. I'm not sure if the console version also allows those to drop with no monster power set.

As for white items. I do see ilvl 63 base items on a regular basis on hard. Since I don't play easy mode I'm not entirely sure if there's a difference. I did find a five affix blacksmith plan as well in Act 1 inferno on hard. If no one is finding those (5+ affix plans and legendaries/sets ilvl 62+) on easy in Act 1 inferno, then it most likely works the same as with the PC version. That means loot tables are the same for all acts when any monster power is set.
Edited by Pr1m3v1l#2866 on 9/14/2013 8:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hmm try out some easy act 1 then, and see if it feels like 5% drop rate on ilvl 63 gears. Wish it at least said Rare Demolisher Hammer instead of just Rare Hammer on the items tooltip. So we could tell the ilvl. Or Rare Crag Hammer which would be 62

Oh yea the items Icon/Picture is how you can tell its ilvl, hehe

So dude farm act 1 easy and see if 63 drops feel like 5%?
Reply Quote
What you guys are doing here, is nothing more than !@#$%ing for the sake of ^-*!@ing. If you don't find a bit of a challenge to be reward enough, then play on easy. No ones forcing you to play on medium or hard, but personally I find easy to be too #$%^-*!ed boring. Drops are the same, so it's not hurting you to not play them.

Hell, be thankful they gave you an easy mode so you can level up to 60 quickly, rather than "wasting your time". If that works in your favor, then blizzard has done you a solid. If you find it too boring on easy, like myself, then blizzard has still done you a solid by giving you medium and hard.

Or do what I did, and just play on Master 1 from the start. If you know what you're doing, which you should if you played it on PC, that REALLY works in your favor. I was up to master 3 when I started inferno and doing fine.
Reply Quote
My point is it is all about EASY and MASTER when it comes to farming. There is no in between because medium and hard are completely pointless.

Please don't give me the crap that you want challenge so you choose medium/hard because if you really want challenge, MASTER is the way to go. Why stop at medium/hard when you have MASTER awaits you?

If you are using console argument, I am pretty sure that medium/hard in many console game usually have a lot more monsters spawned than easy mode, but this is not applied for D3 case. Easy/Medium/Hard has same monster density. The only difference is monster stats.
Reply Quote
i havnt tested this yet, but when im farming a3 on easy i kill the KW about once or twice per hour, in total ive killed the KW close to 30ish times. i have 2 keys from a3. since med = mp2 and hard = mp4 im assuming there is atleast a higher droprate of keys in medium and hard. i will test this later as my hc DH is strong enough for hard but not quite strong enough for master 1.
Reply Quote
If you want a challenge make a hardcore character and start master 5, and never change it, no rubys.
Reply Quote
Many people playing the game may never have played the PC game, and they expect a console game to have an easy/med/hard setting.

The easy/med/hard settings are redundant in that there is already normal/nightmare/hell/inferno difficulties.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Sometimes people play games to play games, not to endlessly farm. Those people like being able to adjust the difficulty based on their personal preference. They may like to play on hard over easy due to the higher level of challenge.

ok I'm done being condescending, but really do you people just wake up searching for useless !@#$ to %^-*! about.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]