Diablo® III

Medium/Hard without reward = Bad Design

The difficulty was pretty cake, been playing couch coop with my friends and on normal mode even on hard we were decimating. At some point I noticed we were allowed to use master difficulties and we actually found a decent challenge at Master III.

Compared to PC I didn't figure we could survive master III but we cleared all the way through Act 2 Nightmare on Master III I find it a good difficulty, mobs actually hurt and don't die instantly.

I do have to agree though Easy, Medium, Hard have no change apparently in rewards which defeats the point. That being said you guys should give Master difficulties a shot even before you hit inferno.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
ok I'm done being condescending, but really do you people just wake up searching for useless !@#$ to %^-*! about.

Yep, they have nothing better to do. Easy-hard is not pointless. Easy is for like a person that has never play D3. Or maybe has on the PC and wants to burn to 60 so the real fun*for them* can get going. Medium is, meh the trash is allright boss's take a bti longer to kill hit a bit harder. and hard is well, a bit hard. Anyone starting a fresh game on hard, no gold, no items but starter, yeah it will be a bit hard. It's all depends on your own play style. So for the people that say it's pointless because it does not give anything like bonus exp and such well. .They don't know a god damn thing. Honestly I play on hard when I lvl alts soemtimes master 1 or 2 because the monsters die just way to damn fast on easy and med with 4 people! I want to use my rotations a bit and be in combat for more than 5 secs.
Reply Quote
Easy is not pointless. Medium and Hard are really pointless. They contribute nothing. Even if you guys want challenge, playing Master difficultly is more appropriate because you actually rewarded for your effort.

I seriously don't understand why people defending Medium and Hard difficulty so much.
Reply Quote
Medium should have 10% mf/gf bonus

Hard 25%.

BAM, everyone plays medium, some play hard
Reply Quote
I'm surprised it hasn't been said.

1. Reason to have Hard w/o the Bonus - Trophy/Achievement - There is a Trophy/Achievement for making it to Lvl 30 on Hard diff. That's the only incentive IMHO for having hard w/o the extra benefits.

2. Easy - If you're to damn lazy or just not good enough get through something on Medium - probably because you can't figure out how to optimize Skills and select equipment for your Char.

3. Medium - For the typical player.

4. Master I - I tried it at the beginning of Act I Nightmare and Hell and it smacked me down. That said, I found the beginning of Act I the most challenging anywhere so maybe I could have handled Master I after the beginning especially if I got better Equip drops.

Personally I've been satisfied with slicing through the game like butter on Medium with a couple heated moments early on in Hell mode (a bit of strategy adjustment and equipment upgrades and back to butter smooth running.) I'm a bit OCD on uncovering all the map, I'll get to a point I see the next level down or my destination and run back to uncover everything I hadn't uncovered and so far I hit lvl 32 at end of Normal, 50 at end of Nightmare, currently in my Hell run (55 and only on the 2nd quest of Act II.)
Reply Quote
lol... After spending hundreds of hours in the pc version of course I'd want to struggle while leveling 1-60.. since the game STARTS on 60.. xD

Started playing on hard.. noticed no bonus and everything dies slowly.. switch to easy. Happiness achieved. If I ever care to have that hard mode achievement I'd do so with a new TWINKED character. That easy :)
Edited by Griffith#1876 on 9/27/2013 6:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes, it is.

Because of medium and hard difficulty didn't provide any incentive or bonus to the players, the player who wants to grind at Inferno effectively can only either choose Easy or Master 1. There is no in between for the player to choose.

As least for PC version, the player can steadily increases the Monster Power when he felt that his character is too strong for current monster level (mp 0), and can go slightly further for better chances of getting items at next MP level (mp1).

In console version, as long as your character cannot survive in Master 1, you are forced to farm at Easy until you get better gear for Master 1 even if your character can One-shot everything in Easy Mode.

Something must be done for the difficulty mode.

I agree there should be at least an experience bonus in both normal and hard something like 25% for normal and 50% for hard as there will be an actual reason to do them as it will help you level a bit faster for playing on a harder difficulty. Possibly have a small MF and GF bonus for them or at least for hard mode.

At the moment the vast majority plays on easy because it's faster to get to Inferno and so rarely will anyone play normal or hard due to there not being any benefits so there really wasn't any point of even adding those difficulties since hardly anyone will play them. Should have just named Easy to Normal and then have the Master Difficulties.
Reply Quote
I look at the easy difficulty as being a replacement for the AH. Its a way to easily get you enough gear so that you can actually move to master 1 so you can take it from there to progress normally. Seems like a good design to me. Give those that want to play the game the way it was intended (normal or hard) and let us that are familiar with d3 have a place to easily farm so we can get into the bonuses and better gear.
Reply Quote
I'm one of those who plays games just to enjoy the process. In Diablo, fighting monsters is fun, and I find it more fun on medium or hard than on easy, so they're definitely not pointless levels. If your only motivation for playing the game is to collect items and level up your character then I can see why those levels would be pointless for you, but I don't see why it should be so hard for you to realize that for a lot of people, the gameplay itself is fun and is the main reason they play. For me, going from level 1 to 60 on easy would be a boring grind, but doing it on hard is fun.
Reply Quote
My game has never been on easy difficulty...medium and up only...Why? Because I can.....Just because medium and hard are pointless to you, doesn't mean they are pointless to everyone...Matter of fact it seems a lot more people are for medium and hard than against it..../thread
Edited by Vikesfan353#1980 on 9/27/2013 8:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/27/2013 08:04 AMPosted by Bilboa
I'm one of those who plays games just to enjoy the process. In Diablo, fighting monsters is fun, and I find it more fun on medium or hard than on easy, so they're definitely not pointless levels. If your only motivation for playing the game is to collect items and level up your character then I can see why those levels would be pointless for you, but I don't see why it should be so hard for you to realize that for a lot of people, the gameplay itself is fun and is the main reason they play. For me, going from level 1 to 60 on easy would be a boring grind, but doing it on hard is fun.

My game has never been on easy difficulty...medium and up only...Why? Because I can.....Just because medium and hard are pointless to you, doesn't mean they are pointless to everyone...Matter of fact it seems a lot more people are for medium and hard than against it..../thread

Yeah, Medium/Hard is indeed pointless. You know what? If I want to challenge myself, I choose Master over Medium/Hard. Stop talking how awesome you are because you are playing medium/hard because you are not, especially when you can choose MASTER difficulty (and it is harder than HARD mode), and MASTER difficulty actually provide bonus for playing it.

Why would I choose Medium/Hard over MASTER difficulty when MASTER difficulty can provide challenge and reward at the same time? Face it. It is all about EASY and MASTER when you are focusing on farming.

Farming at Medium/Hard are not efficient at all.
Reply Quote
Face it. It is all about EASY and MASTER when you are focusing on farming.

Like I said before it looks like you're in a minority on this subject...I know it's hard to understand, but whats fun for you isn't always whats fun for others..It's not all about farming efficiency..You can choose to ignore medium and hard if you want.....So why not just do that??
I along with many others won't......
Reply Quote
CRY MORE..

Play the game and shut up or don't play the game. Just because one aspect wasn't designed specifically for you.. QQQQQQQQQQQQ
Reply Quote
My friends didn't feel like playing anything harder than medium and they thought easy was too easy. It is not pointless and you can see that most console games have easy, medium, and hard with no "reward". Clearly it does not impact your game if someone decides to play medium or hard so why does it matter? Just continue to play Master I.

I am not playing D3 on console to farm, I'm playing to have fun with my friends. We have found that medium is the difficulty that works for us. Not too easy, but good for beginners. We're having fun and I think that is what matters, does it not?

Edit: I do agree with you that farming on medium or hard is pointless. I just play on medium with my friends because it is more fun than easy and it works for our team.
Edited by Graywolf8303#1932 on 9/27/2013 12:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
For non pc version players is perfect.
Reply Quote
I feel the same as OP. It doesn't feel right to have a easy, medium and hard mode without a reward...

For me, D3 is all about efficiency... that is the difficulty. For me to want to increase the monster's health and damage I want to know that the extra time will translate into better drops.

Another problem is that it's called easy, medium and hard. In a gear centered game you can't call a difficulty easy, medium or hard, because it all just depends on your gear. How can you call something hard, when after you're in masters 3, and you go back to Hard you 1 shot everything?

When I first got the game, I looked at the difficulties and ended up choosing hard because I've played a lot of the PC version and many other RPGs. Not half way through A1 normal I found that I wasn't challenged. Monster damage wasn't high enough for me to be challenged, but monster life was so high that It was taking me forever to kill anything.

Whenever I get a rpg game that has a difficulty I always want to play on the hardest setting, because I want a challenge, and for the game to take me as long as possible to beat so that I get my money's worth.

If the first 3 difficulties stay as they are in terms of reward, I suggest they change the names to the following

Tedious 0
Tedious 1
Tedious 2

At the point where you jack up monster health that much (and damage very little) and rub it in our faces starting out at lvl 1 with no gems or gear that in order for the game to feel right we have to play on easy, anything over that without a reward is nothing but tedious.

I am all for challenges please don't get me wrong. but increase in monster health is barely a challenge.
Reply Quote
I'm curious why they didn't offer the first five monster power levels. Maybe console players are used to easy medium and hard. But they could have made easy MP0, medium MP2, and hard MP4 since master one is MP6.

At least medium increases monster density a bit.

Yes, this is initially what I thought when I got the game. I was under the impression that HARD is MP4, but it didn't. Maybe the monsters in HARD has same stats and strength with MP4, but definitely not the bonus, which is saddens me.

CRY MORE..

Play the game and shut up or don't play the game. Just because one aspect wasn't designed specifically for you.. QQQQQQQQQQQQ

Yes, I am CRYING MORE and playing the game at the same time. I just felt that Medium/Hard is kinda wasted.
Reply Quote

Yeah, Medium/Hard is indeed pointless. You know what? If I want to challenge myself, I choose Master over Medium/Hard. Stop talking how awesome you are because you are playing medium/hard because you are not, especially when you can choose MASTER difficulty (and it is harder than HARD mode), and MASTER difficulty actually provide bonus for playing it.

Why would I choose Medium/Hard over MASTER difficulty when MASTER difficulty can provide challenge and reward at the same time? Face it. It is all about EASY and MASTER when you are focusing on farming.

Who said anything about how awesome they were? I think the whole idea of someone thinking they're awesome because they play a video game on hard is pretty silly. We're just responding to your claim that medium and hard are pointless by saying some of us like those levels because we find them fun, and for us that's enough of a point. In fact if anything I like the hard difficulty level because I'm not so awesome at this game, so the Master levels are too hard and therefore not as fun for me. Hard seems just about right for my current skill level, and I'm progressing plenty fast enough for my own taste so I don't care that Hard doesn't give me the bonuses that Master would.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]