Diablo® III

I'm concerned for ROS Wizards

I had a long post about wizards in the expansion, but I figured it'd be better to gather and condense my concerns.

CM / SNS wizard builds rely on breakpoints and very clear gearing goals in order for each skill to feed itself (much like infinite mana combos in MTG). In ROS, assuming there's new gear with higher crit chance and attack speed means that the breakpoint is much more easily attained.

Now, I'm all for freeing up equipment slots and allowing there to be such thing as "too much attack speed," but my concern is that the current playstyle for the CM wizard (the most attainable way to do MP10) makes it so that the enemies aren't fighting back, and I don't see that changing in ROS. There's no accuracy for spells and your chain casts are entirely independent of any monster defenses or stats.

In DIablo 2, I was upset when they added immunities to the expansion because it ruined my Ice Sorceress (it was totally necessary, but it still stung). My thought is that this is the path for D3 Expansion ("Frozen Mod elites cannot be frozen" for example), and it will be very frustrating for people who geared for a specific playstyle.

What do you guys think?
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
CM, in some way or another, looks to be nerfed. Perhaps it only can be proc'ced no more than once per second or the coeficient is cut in half, or something. But, more than likely, there'll be a nerf. There's too many other ways in the next patch to make CM better (add IAS or CC with paragon points, use paragon points to decrease cooldowns, use a diamond in an OS in the helm)....so they're gonna take something away. How they're gonna do it is the question.
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 9/13/2013 12:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think Blizzard wants to pigeon hole wizards into a kite spec, using blizzard as our main attack spell.
Reply Quote
I would be concerned too. We'll have our gg status revoked. Blizz has never considered the health of the wiz class as a high priority.

09/13/2013 12:04 PMPosted by Junger
I think Blizzard wants to pigeon hole wizards into a kite spec, using blizzard as our main attack spell.

Yeah probably this^ I'm so excited! We get to be like demon hunters: have either a crap multiplier or no AOE. Oh freakin' yay.
Reply Quote
This game has gotten easier and easier patch by patch and items stronger patch by patch. I wouldnt worry to much if history is a indicator. I bet with our current gear we will face roll let alone lvl 70 items which will make ours worthless. Also we always over came nerfs, So unless they kill it I wouldnt worry about that either.

In sum

Don't worry be happy.
Reply Quote
My guess is that there will be 3 new skills and 3 new Passives for us to get on our way 70.

This will either help with impending nerfs or help us develop a new build all together.

Don't worry
Reply Quote
I think they'll nerf SNS so that the speccing for it really hurts--but is still possible.
Reply Quote
09/13/2013 12:04 PMPosted by Junger

Don't forget hydras. Blizzard loves dem hydras.
Reply Quote
CM = dead. That's my prediction. Straight up removed from the game.
Reply Quote
I'm expecting RoS to kill off hardcore play for months until people figure out how to stay alive. I'm sure not taking any chances with my character.

As for crit etc, Bliz might do what they do in WoW, and scale the effectiveness of stats by level. I.e., a 10%cc level 63 item will only give you say 5%cc at level 73.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
09/13/2013 02:04 PMPosted by Melkor
CM = dead.

Perhaps.....or maybe nerfed in half. As I said above there are alot of new ways that you can stack IAS and CC and reduce cooldowns. It'll just be a different way to make a "freeze wiz" (hence, no CM) work. Even if there is no "CM" as the biggest driver of cooldowns. I mean...what if you were at the 3.0 breakpoint....with evocation and 60CC and 30% cooldown reduction from a diamond in your Mempo. And maybe a cooldown reduction item. It'll be different...but I think it'll still be there.
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 9/13/2013 2:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The issue with "nerf in half" is that while other classes get to choose to do harder content or farm the current content, wizards will be faced with the problem of suddenly not being able to farm current content and unable to farm future content until insanely geared (once again).

My HOPE is that the future content gets harder, not that the current content gets harder.
Edited by Ryedan#1716 on 9/13/2013 2:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
SNS was an accident. Perma Wrath was an accident. Perma Archon was an accident.

At no time in the lifecycle of D3 development did they intentionally create these playstyles.

RoS is a new game, it will have new accidents.

Worrying about SNS wizard viability in RoS is a bit like saying "I hope they don't nerf Hammerdins in diablo 3.
Edited by Shaggy#1317 on 9/13/2013 2:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Shaggy

That's so true. I think I might even be MORE disappointed if CM is the core build for MP10 in the expansion 2 years form now. Maybe I can just look forward to something new and fresh.
Edited by Ryedan#1716 on 9/13/2013 3:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]