Diablo® III

Unable to get 1920 Resolution on 15" Retina

I have a 15" macbook pro retina and I can't seem to get the 1920x1080 resolution. A lot of videos online are showing this resolution however the only option I get in the 1900 ranges is 1968x1230

Any ideas?
Reply Quote
I also don't have the 1440 , etc I get strange resolution ranges

Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Omar, you should follow the steps outlined in the following instructions:

Open the Terminal and enter the following line, followed by the Enter key:

defaults write com.blizzard.diablo3 DesktopModeIsDefault 1

Once entered Diablo III can use your current desktop resolution as if it were the native resolution. In order for this to work, you must first set your desktop resolution to whatever you want Diablo III to run at, and then launch Diablo III.

To revert your preference file, issue the following command in Terminal:

defaults delete com.blizzard.diablo3 DesktopModeIsDefault

You should make a backup of this file before attempting this, just in case. The file is located here:

To access the ~/Library folder, while in the Finder hold down the Option key and select the Go menu. You should see a "Library" entry - that is the ~/Library folder. This option is hidden until you hold down the Option key with that menu open.

Retina MacBook Pro Specific Instructions: Set your desktop resolution to Scaled if you want a resolution higher than the standard "Retina" resolution (which is 2880x1800 scaled from a true resolution of 1440x900). A good maximum resolution to use would be 1920x1200 as the 650M cannot really handle more.

If you wish to use the normal resolution (what you call "1440"), set your desktop resolution to Best for Retina and Diablo 3 will see 1440x900 as one of the choices. You will also see 2880x1800. Do not choose that resolution as the GPU cannot handle it in games.
Technical Support MVP
Official Mac Tech Support Forum Cookie™ (Mint Chocolate Chip)
Guaranteed tasty; Potentially volatile when dipped in General Forums Syrup®
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Edited by TheTias#1192 on 9/21/2013 1:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Explain (256 characters max)