Diablo® III

Inventory/player menu while coop same console

My roomates and I bought the xbox 360 version as a cool 4 player game that we could all sit on the couch and play together (like in the TV ad with the 4-some). Which is pretty much what we have been doing. Our biggest complaint is that when we go back to town to empty inventory, repair, ect. we have to take turns taking care of all that, because the character menu screen is only able to open up for one player at a time. It is very time consuming. Our suggestion is that while in town each player gets a small version of the player menu on their individual corner of the screen.

Only other complaints are small, like whichever player is on the bottom right (I think its player 2) doesn't have a experience bar in paragon levels. The player still gains experience and paragon levels, it just doesn't show on the screen. I'm sure this is just a bug though and will likely be fixed in a patch.
Reply Quote
The solution we found for this is to declare a master looter. The person fastest at looting and/or navigating their inventory, salvaging, stash screens is the only person that picks up anything.

When she's full we pop to town real quick, have her quickly go through the rares and other players say "that's an upgrade" or "I need a closer look at that" and she drops it, and continues to look through the rest of the gear. When done with the rares she backs out and everyone picks up their respective items, then master looter salvages all remaining loot, puts all gems, materials, etc in stash. Then those that got upgrades quickly inspect their item and equip/sell/salvage it.

Gems and crafting materials for us are community property and we never vendor items, only salvage.

In the end, with a little practice, you can drastically cut down on town-time.
Reply Quote
The solution we found for this is to declare a master looter. The person fastest at looting and/or navigating their inventory, salvaging, stash screens is the only person that picks up anything.

When she's full we pop to town real quick, have her quickly go through the rares and other players say "that's an upgrade" or "I need a closer look at that" and she drops it, and continues to look through the rest of the gear. When done with the rares she backs out and everyone picks up their respective items, then master looter salvages all remaining loot, puts all gems, materials, etc in stash. Then those that got upgrades quickly inspect their item and equip/sell/salvage it.

Gems and crafting materials for us are community property and we never vendor items, only salvage.

In the end, with a little practice, you can drastically cut down on town-time.

Thats a good strat and all but it seems like you would have to port all due one person carrying the loot of 4 players.
Reply Quote
We do a variant of that. We designate 1 person to be the looter, then another, then another, until everyone is full. Then we port to town, and have everyone but 1 person (the person with the most experience with gear in the game) drop all their stuff on the ground, and have the 1 person go through everything while everyone else gets up for a bathroom break.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Over the course of a local co-op game, someone's eventually going to need to get up and refill their beverage or attend to other worldly needs. The way my buddies and I work it out is we just tend to wait until those breaks for the chance to do what we need to in town or in the inventory menus. Also, it should be noted that the auto-follow feature makes it convenient for players to get up at a moment’s notice without inconveniencing the others.

Also, although it’s not going to eliminate the need for inventory management, local co-op mode in Ultimate Evil Edition features a dedicated loot system in favor of the shared loot. That is to say, loot will be assigned to a specific player in the group when it drops. If you pick up gear that’s meant for another player onscreen, it will automatically go into their inventory.
Edited by Araxom on 8/8/2014 6:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/08/2014 06:15 PMPosted by Araxom
Over the course of a local co-op game, someone's eventually going to need to get up and refill their beverage or attend to other worldly needs. The way my buddies and I work it out is we just tend to wait until those breaks for the chance to do what we need to in town or in the inventory menus. Also, it should be noted that the auto-follow feature makes it convenient for players to get up at a moment’s notice without inconveniencing the others.

Also, although it’s not going to eliminate the need for inventory management, local co-op mode in Ultimate Evil Edition features a dedicated loot system in favor of the shared loot. That is to say, loot will be assigned to a specific player in the group when it drops. If you pick up gear that’s meant for another player onscreen, it will automatically go into their inventory.

That doesn't change the fact that the screen estate could have easily shown 4 player inventories and/or skill menus, especially on the new consoles. There is SO MUCH unused space when the console menu is open, so much space that is just your character model, a huge unwieldy menu and a lot of fluff.

I can see why you want the menu to look pretty, and it can be when only 1 players uses it. But not being able to use the menu while another player uses it was a dealbreaker for me and my friends when playing on console. It's just too unwieldy with 4 players, and infuriating when games like Borderlands 2 can do splitscreen menus which were way bigger than Diablo's.

I could have understood if you only allowed 2 players in the menu at the same time, but only 1 player is a joke in this time and age. Even Champions of Norrath on the PS2 had split screen menus!
Edited by Aether#2749 on 8/8/2014 8:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Too bad d3 isn't coming to Wii u. I could see inventory management (at least with 2 players) being great, due to the controller screen. Whoever was using the main controller all their inventory management would be done on the screen controller, maybe even have town entirly on the controller screen so the 2nd player could continue to play on the TV.
Reply Quote
08/09/2014 06:44 AMPosted by DeathGrind
Too bad d3 isn't coming to Wii u. I could see inventory management (at least with 2 players) being great, due to the controller screen. Whoever was using the main controller all their inventory management would be done on the screen controller, maybe even have town entirly on the controller screen so the 2nd player could continue to play on the TV.

Even if it did go to WiiU... It wouldn't get patches :-/. Your lack of a real hard drive is a huge Achilles heel.
Reply Quote
I agree that this is a problem, I don't understand why Blizzard insists on sticking with their only one inventory at a time policy

Inventory management is actually a part of Diablo 3 I enjoy.
I think they're going in the wrong direction by trying to downplay going into your inventory with the "better or worse icons" showing up when you pick up a weapon.

Even the old Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games on PS2 allowed all the players to use the inventory at the same time.
Reply Quote
08/09/2014 08:41 AMPosted by Santar
I agree that this is a problem, I don't understand why Blizzard insists on sticking with their only one inventory at a time policy

I think they're going in the wrong direction by trying to downplay going into your inventory with the "better or worse icons" showing up when you pick up a weapon.

Even the old Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games on PS2 allowed all the players to use the inventory at the same time.

And you could only get 2 people playing at a time. 2 inventory HUDS is way easier than 4.
Reply Quote
Would be cool if coop with a vita could separate the inventory view
Reply Quote

Play online instead of couch co op.
Reply Quote
08/09/2014 10:13 AMPosted by AntiFaith

Play online instead of couch co op.

i imagine one of the huge perks/draws of playing on a console is to play w/ friends together on the couch. otherwise there's really no point to playing on a console over the PC. and pulling up only one inventory at a time is.....a pretty hilarious oversight.
Reply Quote
For all Xbox One players who would like an easy way to find trades and group play please join my Diablo 3 group on facebook! Will post information as well as coordinate group events such as rifts and infernal machines, etc. This group will really help find that certain item you are looking for when the game releases!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Diablo3XboxOneTrade/
Reply Quote
Even having it set up for 2 players at a time would be better. This was the way it worked in Champions of Norrath and, to my wife and I, CoN was an amazing hack 'n slash APRG.
Reply Quote
i imagine one of the huge perks/draws of playing on a console is to play w/ friends together on the couch. otherwise there's really no point to playing on a console over the PC. and pulling up only one inventory at a time is.....a pretty hilarious oversight.

Actually, I have both and still play solo game on the console almost half the time. The controller makes play style very different, the graphics are much richer in quality, and the PS3 game just runs more smoothly than on the i3 processor in my computer. They are very different games due to the quality of smart loot on PC, I think it's actually much easier to advance into upper-level games on the PC due to better itemization and gear customization. The console, limited to drops which arent really class-specific, makes gearing for upper Master Level gameplay much more challenging. Having said that, ROS is such a vast improvement over D3 in terms of inventory and game mechanics that I will be upgrading on the 19th and won't look back. I still plan on playing both systems as the mood strikes me.
Reply Quote
08/08/2014 06:15 PMPosted by Araxom

Rather than suggesting poor band-aid fixes at best, how about taking notes and promptly resolving this. The whole one on screen system is bad. Here's a suggestion: Double it. Yerp, I went there. Thanks for nine months of pain and agony.
Reply Quote
The one problem that i can think of with the toon(s) being able to be completely hidden by menues and inventory screens is that a HC toon can die in town in act 3 campaign mode (find the breach in the keeps depths quest). If the toon isnt visible at all times, HC can perminantly die while in town if this quest is active.
Reply Quote
86 Dwarf Hunter
Xbox SmartGlass would be perfect for this. Imagine managing your inventory on your phone or tablet.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]