Diablo® III

Spiketrap change isn't necessarily that bad..

... as it looks. Here's the link to the changes:

http://www.diablofans.com/news/2021-diablo-iii-reaper-of-souls-datamined-class-changes-including-even-more-crusader-abilities/

Cost: 30 Hatred / Lay a trap that arms after 2 seconds and triggers when an enemy approaches. The trap has a 2 second re-arming time and can explode up to 3 times, each time dealing 200% weapon damage to all enemies within 8 yards. / You can have a maximum of 3 Spike Traps active at one time.

Ok, yes the arming time was increased from 1.2 seconds to 2, but now it explodes 3 times instead of once, so in fact it works similarly to the present Echoing Blast.

But now imagine this: Spike Trap with Scatter rune + Custom Engineering. Spend 60 hatred for 6 mines, that explode 3 times for 200% weapon damage each = 18 explosions and in other words 3600% weapon damage. Wow, talk about a mine field, can't wait to try that one out! :D

Now imagine placing them in a narrow corridor :D
Edited by Juicypus#2757 on 9/16/2013 12:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
WOOP ;P
Reply Quote
View profile
man I know your math is bad, but I didn't know it is this bad

let's not consider CE into the build because the change they were trying to make did not come with those changes we saw on the newest datamined.

echoing blast
1.2 +1.2 +1.2 = 3.6 secs and 275x3 = 825 ~= 229.2/sec
or is it
1.2 +1.0 +1.0 = 3.2 secs and 275x3 = 825 ~= 257.8/sec
data-spike trap
2 +2 +2 = 6 secs and 200x3 = 600 ~= 100/sec
data-echo
2 +2 +2 = 6 secs and 240x3 = 720 ~= 120/sec
data-long
3 +3 +3 = 9 secs and 270x3 = 810 ~= 90/sec
data-scatter
2 +2 +2 = 6 secs and 200x3x3 = 1800 ~= 300/sec
data-sticky
2 +2 +2 = 6 secs and 280x3 = 840 ~= 140/sec (100% accuracy)

so you see what has changed?
We are now using scatter or echo as main. If the datamined spike trap pass over, we will all still be using 2 runes: scatter or sticky. Nothing changed except we will see more ppl playing with sticky trap... and maybe lightning rod

Oh please don't go down the resource path. We all know it is much easier to gain hatred in the next patch.

edit: added more data
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 9/16/2013 1:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
What the change to Spike Trap has done is possibly allow us to drop some down and go into other ways of dealing damage, to include other Hatred intensive attacks.

It's more "set and forget" than before, and actually stronger with that. In this respect it might be even more beneficial with Custom Engineering.

One of the cons of the class is that there aren't enough attacks that deal damage on the constant, while you go into something else(this is without taking the ranged initiative for a slow projectile into play for example with BL). Sentry is a prime example of this type of thing currently, and Spike Trap will now fit into that but on a lesser scale.

The way they're going to work, might have some interesting synergy with Thrill of the Hunt as well. I guess we'll see.

When it comes down to it, using Spike Traps in the most common way people do it now tanking and all that, will be less effective. The usage of the attack has a different focus and possible greater gain and utility.

EDIT: What I'm getting at here, is not to look at the skill/runes isolated. Look at what it will do for the entire selection of moves and flow in actual play.
Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 9/16/2013 2:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
spiked trap i dont like it..
Reply Quote
KirusAlufras, I didn't say a word about the timing or damage over time. As for my math, it is correct, and you can't deny it. Of course it takes a while to be "consumed", but altogether it is 3600% damage done with 60 hatred, that was all that I said. I didn't say a word about targeting either, or that the 3600% would be done to a single target. And I was talking about CE included.

You're nitpicking it.

Oh please don't go down the resource path. We all know it is much easier to gain hatred in the next patch.

easier to gain hatred in the next patch.

Yeah, source please?
Stop replacing "I" with a "we".
Edited by Juicypus#2757 on 9/16/2013 3:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't understand why Blizzard want to nerf Spike trap and buff other Hatred Spender?

The arming/re-arming time is like a cooldown. If you play with Scatter (...and Scatter explode 3 time), You drop your Spike trap, and then you need to wait 6 sec minimum before using Scatter again.... Not really fun - exacly like a cooldown.

I really hope Custom Eng will stay the same.....(+100%, 3 sentry and 6 Spike trap)

Custom Engineering Increase the duration of your Caltrops, Marked for Death, Spike Trap, and Sentry by 100%. / IncreasesIncrease the maximum number of Sentries to 0 and Spike Traps to 0.????

I use CE in my build only for "3 sentry and 6 Spike trap" bonus..... The duration bonus (100%) is good, but...... without 3 sentry AND 6 Spike Trap, CE will be useless....

Buff RF/Bombardement (745%, 11 yard???) and nerf Spike Trap..... I really don't understand.....
Reply Quote
I don't understand why Blizzard want to nerf Spike trap and buff other Hatred Spender?

Because Echoing Blast is OP.

I really hope Custom Eng will stay the same.....(+100%, 3 sentry and 6 Spike trap)

It will. This:

number of Sentries to 0 and Spike Traps to 0

is very likely a typo or not a finished tooltip. Don't worry :)
Reply Quote
View profile
Yeah, source please?
Stop replacing "I" with a "we"

check that diablofans site you are reading for "source"

I say we because it is more than just myself, but that doesn't mean it is over a million ppl and it does not include you as far as I know.

And I will say it again. Your math is "bad" I did not say it is "wrong"
The fact that your thread is based on the idea that the datamined spike traps are doing more damage because of the numbers you are showing tells me your math is "bad". Mathematics does not equal numbers kid.

Try to comment on what I wrote instead of commenting on what you wrote. If you cannot understand what I have written on top then read this...

think skill synergy and take a look at bola
Reply Quote
09/16/2013 04:08 PMPosted by KirusAlufras
The fact that your thread is based on the idea that the datamined spike traps are doing more damage because of the numbers you are showing tells me your math is "bad".

Oh my gawd. Tell me, at what point did I ever imply that the new spike trap would in my opinion do more damage. I merely implied that this skillset that I wrote about would be awesome to use, and that the "nerf" to the skill isn't necessarily as bad as many players feel like it's going to be.

And I will say it again. Your math is "bad" I did not say it is "wrong"

So you just come here to this thread starting the conversation from your part the way you did? "You math is correct but my god it's so bad, so I thought that I'll come here to tell you off"?:D What did I ever do to you man?

Also, I read the diablofans site, and so far I haven't found anything that suggests that it will be easier to regenerate hatred than now. Maybe it's because my IQ is that of a shoe and find Forrest Gump to be smart in my standards, so why don't you enlighten me in all your wisdom and superiority and be kind enough to link me that particular part, Albert?

Edit: "Kid", now that's rather funny, kid :D

Nice of you to crash into the thread and the conversation with an insult like "man I knew your math was bad.." sort of a comment. Such a polite child, here's a free hug (>^^)> (I feel that you kinda need one)
Edited by Juicypus#2757 on 9/16/2013 5:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/16/2013 03:01 PMPosted by PaT
Buff RF/Bombardement (745%, 11 yard???) and nerf Spike Trap..... I really don't understand.....

This. I get the direction they are going for spike traps, making it a secondary DPS skill, but when bombardment is gonna be doing 745% a tick with a AOE of 11 yards while ST is doing 200% a tick (with a 2 seconds delay between ticks) with an AOE of 8 yards, the disparity between the two seems a bit much on paper.
Reply Quote
09/16/2013 05:15 PMPosted by OhHellzNo

This. I get the direction they are going for spike traps, making it a secondary DPS skill, but when bombardment is gonna be doing 745% a tick with a AOE of 11 yards while ST is doing 200% a tick (with a 2 seconds delay between ticks) with an AOE of 8 yards, the disparity between the two seems a bit much on paper.

hmm, agreed :/
Reply Quote
09/16/2013 01:02 PMPosted by KirusAlufras
we will see more ppl playing with sticky trap... and maybe lightning rod

Exactly Kirus, I think that is kind of the point of the changes, to get more people using other runes, as it stands EB is king.

Silver
Reply Quote
You never know, they could tie the arming delay to AS or CD reduction....
Reply Quote
09/16/2013 07:18 PMPosted by Rav1n

Nonono!! You're doing it wrong. You and that other HC guy! Smart thinking and common sense is NOT allowed here.

Sorry for interrupting, had to put fellow DH's in their place about posting constructive, crazy people indeed.

Resume tears.
Reply Quote
09/16/2013 07:26 PMPosted by DiEoxidE

Nonono!! You're doing it wrong. You and that other HC guy! Smart thinking and common sense is NOT allowed here.

Sorry for interrupting, had to put fellow DH's in their place about posting constructive, crazy people indeed.

Resume tears.

Yeah, it's much more reasonable to make up a completely arbitrary mechanic like tying arming delay to AS even though it doesn't work that way presently and there has been no hint at all that it will.

Get off your "Quit QQing" high horse. You're stinking up the joint as much as the next guy.
Reply Quote
Yeah, it's much more reasonable to make up a completely arbitrary mechanic like tying arming delay to AS even though it doesn't work that way presently and there has been no hint at all that it will.

Get off your "Quit QQing" high horse. You're stinking up the joint as much as the next guy.

He's not saying this may be the case, but rather we don't know enough to cry about unofficial datamined info to say why these "will be changed" value %'s are being tested. Blizzard even stated that only some of the changes made into closed testing, as this isn't nearly all the info, but yet people cry as if these are the final patch notes or something....

So now, tell me, why does it make sense to cry now? I have yet to figure it out, as there's no LOGICAL reason to do so. It has nothing to do with a high horse, but everything to do with people being irrational.

You can dislike the direction in which blizz may be taking the class, dislike the mechanics and post constructively about it. However, I see "SP NERF, IT'S OVER FOR DH's. BLIZZ U SUX I QUIT DH" type crying, and I have to just lol.
Edited by DiEoxidE#1987 on 9/16/2013 8:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
LOL you are taking these threads way too seriously. Breaking news, people like gossip and speculation.

If it's not your cup of tea do what any sane person would do and move on to the next thread.

But to complain about it in thread after thread? IDGI

If you can't see the irony of implying people need to make more constructive posts then making posts solely to mock and complain about said people, then I have nothing more to say.
Edited by OhHellzNo#1945 on 9/16/2013 8:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
LOL you are taking these threads way too seriously. Breaking news, people like gossip and speculation.

If it's not your cup of tea do what any sane person would do and move on to the next thread.

If you can't see the irony of implying people need to make more constructive posts then making posts solely to mock and complain about said people, then I have nothing more to say.

If it was one thread, that's one thing. When it starts taking over half the forums spreading like a virus, then well.... you know, as if we need a new thread about it every few hours.... If i was indirectly "mocking" or trolling (however you may be looking at it) then I'm just having some fun at the same time, since serious replies tend to not work in these type of situations.

You say thread after thread, but if you did your research, you'll see that I only responded in 3 of the 9 direct and indirect popular complaint threads. Sounds like an over-exaggeration. It's perfectly possible to "gossip" and "speculate" without crying, do you not think so?

What you may not realize is that you're actually doing the same thing you're accusing me of. You're essentially complaining about a person complaining about people crying. I assume you're going to take the advice you gave me and move on from my post since I've noticed it's not your cup of tea.
Edited by DiEoxidE#1987 on 9/16/2013 8:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile

LOL you are taking those posts talking about those posts too seriously!

Damage control.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]