Diablo® III

Getting 10-30 fps on 2013 MBP Please HELP

I really don't know what else to do. When I research why my Mac Book Pro retina is running so slow, and it skips specially when all 4 players are on the screen. All i end up seeing are people saying it runs great on their mac book pro.

So im not sure what is the problem.

My system is Mac Book Pro 2013 /w retina
2.7 GHz i7
16 GB 1600MHz DDR3
Runs on Flash HD
OS X 10.8.5
**I already set my mac to run at high performance utilizing its NVDIA Ge Force GT 650M 1024MB

My Diablo setting is running in Fullscreen.
1968x1230 (16:10 Widescreen) Resolution
Vertical Sync is checked
Texture Quality - High
Shadow QUality - Medium
Physics - High
Clutter Density - Medium
Anti Aliasing - not checked
Low FX - checked

My character, a hardcore Barb lvl 60 literally skips every second. The FPS doesn't go above 35 and every time it skips it drops to 10-12 or so.

Others with the same system and run the same game with much better settings for Diablo 3 does not have any lag issues.

So i don't know what else to do here, please help.
Reply Quote
Did u manage to figure out what the problem was?
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Ultralisk, use the following instructions to set your resolution in Diablo 3 to the Best for Retina size:

Omar, you should follow the steps outlined in the following instructions:

Open the Terminal and enter the following line, followed by the Enter key:

defaults write com.blizzard.diablo3 DesktopModeIsDefault 1

Once entered Diablo III can use your current desktop resolution as if it were the native resolution. In order for this to work, you must first set your desktop resolution to whatever you want Diablo III to run at, and then launch Diablo III.

To revert your preference file, issue the following command in Terminal:

defaults delete com.blizzard.diablo3 DesktopModeIsDefault

You should make a backup of this file before attempting this, just in case. The file is located here:

~/Library/Preferences/com.blizzard.diablo3.plist

To access the ~/Library folder, while in the Finder hold down the Option key and select the Go menu. You should see a "Library" entry - that is the ~/Library folder. This option is hidden until you hold down the Option key with that menu open.

Retina MacBook Pro Specific Instructions: Set your desktop resolution to Scaled if you want a resolution higher than the standard "Retina" resolution (which is 2880x1800 scaled from a true resolution of 1440x900). A good maximum resolution to use would be 1920x1200 as the 650M cannot really handle more.

If you wish to use the normal resolution (what you call "1440", set your desktop resolution to Best for Retina and Diablo 3 will see 1440x900 as one of the choices. You will also see 2880x1800. Do not choose that resolution as the GPU cannot handle it in games.

Retina MacBook Pro Specific Instructions: Set your desktop resolution to Scaled if you want a resolution higher than the standard "Retina" resolution (which is 2880x1800 scaled from a true resolution of 1440x900). A good maximum resolution to use would be 1920x1200 as the 650M cannot really handle more.

If you wish to use the normal resolution (what you call "1440"), set your desktop resolution to Best for Retina and Diablo 3 will see 1440x900 as one of the choices. You will also see 2880x1800. Do not choose that resolution as the GPU cannot handle it in games.

Note: Since you are experiencing undue slowdowns, use the Best For Retina set of instructions. You should see better performance there.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the reply..

First of all, how do you open a terminal line? where do you put these commands?
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
The Terminal app is located in /Applications/Utilities/. Launch it and enter the commands listed. This will give manual control over resolution allowing you to use the Best for Retina (1440x900 scaled to 2880x1800 at the display level) for better framerates.

You should make sure to set your Physics to Low. It offers only minor realism with breakable objects and really, really slows down the game in many spots.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]