Diablo® III

Speculate! Absence of AH will mean..

i sold my stuff off about a month ago for a pretty decent amount.. i held onto a few pieces for my wiz/wd that werent selling for what i wanted and will just build around them

i think it will be a lot of fun starting over on the mostly self-found route with loot 2.0.. im actually really really excited about it. I think the lack of auction house will mean a more hardcore playerbase, make gearing up have more meaning (be more reflective of your playing than your ahing), and be better for the game as a whole.

prices will fluctuate but honestly in the past few months they havent really changed all that much
Edited by GrizZ#1908 on 9/17/2013 2:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
rmah was most likely more trouble than its worth in the first place. So what little they did make off of it im guessing wasn't enough compared to the game.
Reply Quote
if they remove auction houses i hope to god they give us offline play so that we can hack the game and use hero and item editors... because... !@#$ i don't want to play every day for 10 years just to see a windforce drop.

sigh :( kid gamers and the god damn qq'ing

now it's time for adults to qq lol.

So long as i can play offline i'll be a happy chappy - hacks for the win.
Reply Quote
Offline mode would definitely be nice. Back on topic, with the AH gone, I'll just go back to using d2jsp.
Reply Quote
it's back to d2 days yo
Reply Quote
hey finally able to post nice,

pretty surprising news. wanted to peak at the ah but d3 was down :(

i cant wait to see how this all plays out tho

oh and somehow melkor can see the future
Edited by SteelPhantom#1820 on 9/17/2013 3:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Why take them down? I think the various 'selfies win' and other threads miss the obvious, and I'm sure I don't 'know' why, but it's always smart to follow the money.

How much has the player base shrunk, and how much has the revenue from these microtransactions gone down with it? Balance that against the total cost of operating the ah's and taking them down may make perfect sense for them. There should be a surge of players coming on/coming back due to the consoles and RoS expansion, but I'd bet Blizzard's revenue projections show what the return rate and player longevity is likely to be, and it probably isn't enough.

Also, we don't know if they will contract with a 3rd party (say d2jsp) for a piece of the action in return for them to have direct item placement into our stash. They pass on the costs, get the gold sink, and get paid with little risk to them if it is done right. I don't think that's likely, but who knows what they're talking about or how things may change next year.

tl:dr - is this due to revenue drops caused by player base shrinkage? Could they farm it out?
Reply Quote
I dont know.......but I speculate that.....

It would be completley insane to completly take away the Auction House Button......

Common sense would dictate Change the Button to "Sell Trade" with a 1d12 timer

Post your Items But Blizzard completley removes themselves from any automated tranaction goop.

This would still allow people to search for Specific Items but instead of Buy-out or bid it shows the sellers battletag.......and you could pursue contact from there

it would blow to have to search through forums/ebay/chat channnels to find items with specific affixes

When there's already a very viable search engine available!

What do you think?
Reply Quote
I like the removal of AH.

I think it will be healthier for the game's longevity.

People like Void can actually start playing the game :> *see what I did there?*
Reply Quote
09/17/2013 01:16 PMPosted by Boozor
DO NOT SELL OFF YOUR GEAR.

Yup. At least keep some gears for now that you can grind in high MP to find loots and go from there. Starting from the scratch will be pain in the butt.
Reply Quote
Finally a good step towards making D3 a game people will want to play for a long time. Auction house was an antisociality inducing community killing parasite that did way more harm than good.
Reply Quote
I dont know.......but I speculate that.....

It would be completley insane to completly take away the Auction House Button......

Common sense would dictate Change the Button to "Sell Trade" with a 1d12 timer

Post your Items But Blizzard completley removes themselves from any automated tranaction goop.

This would still allow people to search for Specific Items but instead of Buy-out or bid it shows the sellers battletag.......and you could pursue contact from there

it would blow to have to search through forums/ebay/chat channnels to find items with specific affixes

When there's already a very viable search engine available!

What do you think?

I think that Blizzard will never fully relinquish control of the markets, allowing for, as doly so aptly put, "the Wild West". I think you may be on to something, Gcanum. For an organization that is so vocal about NOT being the people who built D2, they sure would be mirroring them with the absence of ANY regulated trade.
Reply Quote
I can agree with the removal of RMAH, but taking away GAH would probably hurt some people.

Aside from SF players, how many people are really pushing the removal of GAH? Pretty sure AH users far outweigh SF players. That'd be taking a bigger dump on people's lawn than the IAS nerf back in 1.03.
Reply Quote
Aw come on Murderma...keeping the GAH would drive third party site revenue through the roof!
Reply Quote
Of course.. but it's a pretty huge impact to the game in terms of breaking through content. If Loot 2.0 isn't up to par with current gear (at least) in terms of RNG, a lot of players will be eternally stuck like the Inferno act 1 to 2 jump back in 1.02 or whatever.

It's hard to really say until it's actually out, but at least Blizzard are doing it with the release of RoS.. excitement if new content may quell the hordes.. at least for a while.

It'll make it harder for people who play seldom to casual though.. wanting to play but severely under geared and having no time to grind to improve.. I guess whatever move they take, there'll always be QQers on the opposing defense lines.
Reply Quote
this is how they will nerf wizards. no more ah = extremely difficult to meet breakpoints without buying d2jsp forum gold.

of d2jsp sold shares/listed on the market, its time to buy.. (but they are shady..)
Reply Quote
Exactly, Chris. No need for a nerfbat if its a lot more difficult to break the game.
Reply Quote
It makes sense to remove it because, for one it increases the longevity of the game through item hunting where the AH was essentially a short cut therefore they can continue to make expansions for this game considering people have been playing D2 for over a decade why not continue to support a successful system with expansions which imagine if D2 had continuous support and expansions over the years. The devs may be able to create 3 or 5 expansions for D3 down the line since the longevity for the item hunt will obviously be increased.
Reply Quote
I'm really surprised. I though AH, esp RMAH, would be here to stay just because of the cash flow that it brought to Blizzard. That means:

1) AH doesn't bring that much $ to Blizzard
or
2) They care about the game more than $

Somehow, I can't imagine either of those as being true...in the most jaded sense, of course. Maybe I'm wrong...and I hope I'm wrong. But this is corporate America, after all. So:

3) They will find other ways to generate extra $
and/or
4) They are content with their revenue stream from sales of D3 and future XPAC

Dunno. Wow.

With Transmog coming, I think they are probably going to sell cosmetics. Worked like a charm in TF2.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]