Lore and Story

May 17 Poor Leoric's family man... I really feel sorry for the entire family bloodline... Leoric gets betrayed by his servant Lazarus Leoric goes mad Leoric's wife gets executed and her spirit becomes cursed Leoric's spirit gets cursed Leoric becomes Skeleton King Leoric's son falls ill Leoric's son becomes Diablo's vessel Leoric's Older son is forced to kill his brother Leoric's older son becomes Diablo's new vessel Leoric's granddaughter never meets her parents growing up Leoric's granddaughter gets betrayed by her mother when they reunite Leoric's granddaughter becomes Diablo's vessel. The most tragic family of history of gaming. Edit: Leoric's granddaughter also loses her only family (Deckard Cain)SeriusBizNis12 May 17
May 17 Necromancer, future expansion character? There are many players who agree that the Witch Doctor class pales in comparison to the Necromancers. There are those who argue that the Witch Doctor class is sufficient and there is no need to rehash the Necromancer class. But the Necromancer was much better in terms of scale, creatures, and golems. How many would agree, we need the necromancer back?SAL197941 May 17
May 14 Keep to the lore of the crusader one thing I have noticed from the beginning is that the crusader does not hold to his lore. I mean this to say that he does not have an apprentice that follows and learns from him. If you watch and/or read his lore see that he travels with a trainee. I believe that adding this aspect to the game would make it interesting. Any other thoughts?FirstResort5 May 14
May 14 Feminine Diablo Diablo is such a powerful entity that the can take on any form that he wants. He doesn't need the feminine look just because he took a feminine host. So why the feminine look? To specifically remind us that he took a feminine host. Whether you like Leah or not, our characters, our followers, Tyriel, and a number of other NPCs did. Diablo took the feminine form to remind us that he took a feminine host, to remind us, to give us grief that he was able to take Leah from us. That said, one of Diablo's forms during the actual fight should have looked exactly like Leah, mocking us, reminding us, and sometimes, even crying or sounding like she's in agony, all to mess with Psyche of the ones who would dare to stand against him. Edit: Deleted the first paragraph because that's what everyone was so worried about, but means very little in the overall theory. If the theory were a giant tree monster, you'd be patting yourselves on the back for killing one little twig while it ate you.Crit33 May 14
May 11 NPCs you would like to see coming back I would like to know which one is your favorite NPC(s), maybe there's more than 1, and why do you prefer this NPC(s)? Would you like him, her or them to come back or appear on an eventual futur patch or D4? Deckard Cain is the most famous from the trilogy but maybe for some reason you prefer others. Your favorite NPC(s) might be a vilain too, Pukerat the Unclean (Cathedral D1) Battlemaid Sarina (Act3 D2), which one is it? i.e: Frozenstein from D2 Act 5. Because he was hilarious and I still wonder why he kept Anya frozen instead to eat her. I would like him to come back with his fellow yetis and lead a raid in the Ruins of Sescheron or something like that. Abd al-Hazir, I do like all the little stories he have to tell about Sanctuary history and monsters. The character's personality is funny and I do like the fact that he's not involved in the eternal conflict.Vypwulf9 May 11
Apr 28 Malthael Corruption: I really would like an explanation about how Malthael can become Death, if it is truly a "corrupted state". This entire theory first assumes that his "Death" version is a "corrupted" or "evil" one. And that may be untrue, and he may only have assumed another aspect important for existence that only him could carry the burden, and still be pure and good, but that doesn't sound likely since he kill Innocent people at the trailer. What i would like to ask people to think about, is how can Wisdom be corrupted? I can understand Valor, becoming blinded by his power and becoming arrogant. I can understand Fate, losing faith after knowing he cannot change the dark fate that awaits the creation. I can understand any other kind of angel being corrupted... Even Justice can become corrupted, if it starts to go for vengeance more then doing what is actually good. But i cannot understand how WISDOM can be corrupted.... Let me explain why: The whole idea behind the Angels is that they are initially pure representations of their aspects, that's why Justice sword can only hurt the unjust as the legend says, or why he voted against killing humanity, because it would be a massacre. They are not like humans, they are more "pure" in nature, and that is what make then kind of alien in the way they think, compared to humans. They may fall, but still they will be "pure", they are living conviction, be that conviction good, or evil. But how can pure Wisdom not far see his own corruption? As Tyrael was called Being of Perfect Justice, how can Wisdom not far see something as himself decaying? The meaning of Wisdom: "The quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight." He shows this quality when he was the leader of the Host. But how can he be corrupted? One might call that having visions of what is to come might have caused his fall, but i disagree, something as Fate, or Destiny could be like that, because it's essence is being bound by what is to come, but for Wisdom seeing final destruction would only lead to insight of what should be done, and if that was to be unavoidable, to him make the time lasting the best it could be for the creation, for that is displaying wisdom on such a case. Wisdom is the only kind of concept that is completely immune to corruption, because the act that would start such a corruption is know prior to the corruption becoming true for someone that is wise. I can understand external influence, because external powers can corrupt wisdom, but by itself wisdom is incorruptible, differently from other concepts that are either bound to inaction, or that can be corrupted by arrogance or by the burden of their duties. But it seems that Malthael was not corrupted by something else that is external to him. At last nothing suggests that till now. If he is simply the bad guy from the prophecy D3 story will be one of the worst display of weak knowledge of fantasy concepts ever to be produced by blizzard. Now, if he knew of a way to change the things, if he knew that the only way was to let himself become corrupt, in order to set a chain of things in motion that would end freeing the world from it's doom, then this story will be really great. Maybe the "as Fate lies shattered forever." means that Malthael plan is to destroy Itherael and the Scroll of Fate, in a exact sequence of events that would set the world in a path to recovery, and in a way that would free the world from it's fate, giving freedom to the events and ending the end that was fated to come. In this sense i can see Wisdom, not being corrupted by some event, because that would be pathetic storytelling, but because he must, because it is in his essence to do what is wise to be done, even if by doing so he needs to sacrifice himself, one of his brothers and kill many in his way to set the stage to its actors to do as he wants then to do. That would explain why he kill the innocents in the trailed, but let Tyrael free, showing himself as the evil guy to bring the Nephalem might be part of his plans, but also having Tyrael alive, so he could not really kill him. Let's remember that Tyrael Sword could not harm him. Even if he says his Death and cannot be killed, Justice would at lest be able to imprison Death, or weaken it, should it be action in an unjust cause. This could be the hint that Death is not really doing what is unfair, but is in fact doing the ultimate sacrifice, his pure essence as wisdom, his life, the life of one of his brothers, and the life of many he will need to kill in order to set everything he needs in motion to bring things to the place he needs then to be. This would fit so much in the atmosphere of Diablo that i will feel so bad the day this game release and i see a crappy story, that i almost know i will see by now...Satan11 Apr 28
Apr 20 GreyHollow lore? So anyone know all the lore this area yet? Here's what I found: -weird guy with a horned hat keeps doing rituals, everytime I meet him in a new game he comments on how we've been through this before and how he dies. -Found the journal entries for the shipwrecked crew. There's a small cave with an entry that goes upto 3/4 entries. The final entry mentions how he's killed a strange guy with horns many times before. -the tower with a unique at the top. Some journal entries I've found here leads me to believe the high priest son is the crazy horned guy. -a women praying at an alter that when you get closed starts a mini event where you kill all the bats. The event is called something along the lines of "ritual interrupted event". From what I've seen, she doesn't move or anything. I need to see if I can stand behind her and not trigger that event. Somehow I feel like there's something more to this place.... That strange horned guy and the strange horned woman seem like there's more to them. If anything, it would be cool to unlock a boss (like Skeleton King level boss) that's the Goddess.BipolarFly4 Apr 20
Apr 16 Has anyone ever done this i just killed maltheal without drinking any HP potions and templar never died i never went to healing well i am a level 42 DH on hard mode anyone ever done this?SpringL3af0 Apr 16
Apr 14 Archbishop Lazarus Does anyone else think about how cool it would be if Archbishop Lazarus did a comeback? This clerk is one of the most evil and manipulative villains in Diabloverse. The buildup around his character in D1 rivaled that of Diablo himself. Albeit he was introduced as a of victim of brainwashing (D1 manual), he nontheless was established as a real SOB, who sacrificed children! http://demolishman.com/gallery/plog-content/images/diablo-1-e-hellfire/screenshots-diablo-1/diablo-1-archbishop-lazarus-lair.jpg. There are few, if no other, props in the Diablo games that made you more uncomfortable than this spectacle!Solidpontus22 Apr 14
Apr 13 Barbarian canonically a female?! So,i think some(If not all) of you know about a new Blizzard game called Heroes Of The Storm.The Diablo heroes included are The Witch Doctor and a female Barbarian called Sonya.Lets look at the facts to see if the Barbarian can really be a female in official lore: Against: 1.A short story has been released featuring a male Barbarian,and all the other short stories are regarded as canon. 2.The male Barbarian backstory has much more depth than the female,some of his dialogue IMPLY he may be the same Barb from D2 but nothing is confirmed.Conversations with other characters also reveal things about his early life while the female features much more bland dialogue. 3:Heroes Of The Storm has a non-canon story and it is possible that other genders of already added characters (Like Demon Hunter and Witch Doctor) will be added.The Barbarian may be only female to diversify the roster of characters with at least two females. 4.The name has no relation to Barbarian culture at all and looks like some kind of "fan-fiction" Pro: 1.Heroes Of The Storm confirmed both the Witch Doctor's canon name and the Demon Hunter's(Previously stated in a short story).It seems to be sticking to the canon names of the characters thus far. Neutral 1.It is indeed possible that two Barbarians went in search of the falling star as the male Barbarian may have taken a younger one as some kind of apprentice,again that would make sense as there are indeed female Barbarians and with the scattering of their kind it isn't unbelievable that a Barbarian would choose to have company in his quest to reform his "clan's" previous glory. 2.The female Barbarian does co-exist with the male Barbarian but was not part of the group of heroes that defeated Diablo. 3.No character has had two canon genders at once,it would be possible but still it hasn't happened before. What are your conclusions?Do you have any other proof or wants to add something to these "facts"? Keep in mind this thread is not to discuss which gender of Barbarian is better but to discuss what is the "canon" gender of this character.Drakhan14 Apr 13
Apr 13 Gheed story Don't get me wrong, I traded with the guy and all, he actually had some of the most entertaining gossip in D2 ("I'm gonna party like its 999"). But I'd never describe him as a great man. More like a sleazy salesman. Most of the other NPCs in Rogue Encampment don't seem to like him, except Charsi. Kadala is revealed to be Gheed's daughter and says "My father was a great man... Until he lost his fortune." It's not clear how he loses his fortune though. Gheed says he's raking in gold in Rogue Encampment, implying that he loses his fortune between D2 and D3. At some point Kadala is born (Gheed never mentions having a daughter in D2). Kadala never mentions who her mother is but Charsi did have a fondness for Gheed...mcdundee3 Apr 13
Apr 13 Hellfire official canon? I am just curious if the D1 expansion Hellfire is considered to be canon in terms of lore and what took place in tristram.Skelv3 Apr 13
Apr 12 Set Dungeon I have been trying the Set Dungeon for Unhallowed Essence build now for about 15 hours. I do not even get close to the objective. 3/6 groupings max except once I got 6/6 and time runs out and I still had a zillion left to kill. So frustrated im ready to throw in the towel. Any suggestions would be nice. I have watched all Youtube videos and they get easy groupings Gadzooks!!! Redapple#1739Redapple0 Apr 12
Apr 11 Tathamet and Anu I wonder if, for those that may know about how the lore in D3 may continue, we will ever encounter Tathamet and Anu. "It is the sum total of all seven Evils housed within one body. There is an ancient legend, known only to a few, of the great Dragon, Tathamet, who was the original embodiment of evil. The legend says that he was ripped apart during an epic battle with Anu, and that the Burning Hells are composed of his remains." --Tyrael http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Tathamet It would be an epic battle and an amazing cinematic to fight or (choose to fight along side of) Tathemet or Anu. Obviously there would be no winner as without 1 we can't have the other. Imagine that some Nephalem get corrupted by Tathemet and become Evil while others are on the side of Good with Anu. There comes the PVP in Diablo. "Then Diablo seeks to become the Dragon once again?" "In a manner of speaking, yes." — The Nephalem and Tyraelrockon879 Apr 11
Apr 4 D3 RoS Alternate epic ending? (My own) So while playing D3 just now brought me some nostalgia while in the pandemonium fortress thinking back to my D2 days and something occurred to me that blizzard could of capitalized on to redeem the deplorable lore that is in D3 and also add concrete evidence to Blizzards statement of Diablo being a mastermind of plotting, and the so called events that have unfolded, as well as how i'd wrap up the story for the diablo game out of the Diablo-verse we know so I'll get right into it and want to see what other people think! So in Diablo 2 upon going for the Big D kill you release the 5 seals and what is the beloved phrase we all remember? "Not even death can save you from me!" remember this phrase as I go into more of this. So Maltheal is the "Angel of Death", an Angel has now slaughtered many "human like people" in his quest to rid the world of evil he wanted to extinguish us as humankind "So we couldn't be tempted and end the eternal conflict" so the angels cannot be trusted, Demons of course are demons and cannot be trusted. "DEATH" remember this. You ultimately go through the plot that is RoS and confront Maltheal now what if instead of the events that actually happened, went this way instead? When Maltheal realizes he's getting his *** kicked and slashes the stone to consume it, what if it does a flashback cinematic to the old heroes in D2 in the pen and ink style, banded in a party, that phrase mentioned above being played, and ultimately the slaying of Diablo. Camera rushes to a true blizz cinematic of Maltheal at this point consuming the stone in another way, perhaps in-bedding it within himself in Ex. D1 (The Dark Wanderer) directly into the angelic chest plate?, and Diablo now comes back as a being not thought of. All seven Evils with Diablo as the lead prime, in an Angelic beings body, Key factor for a new and (true) tathemet? Snickering Diablo at this point dialogue-wise breaks the 4th wall ( For the ones that don't know. The 4th wall is when a character makes dialogue straight to the player or the reader not at the character in said game/book) and directly to us as players who have been fans taunts us? Of course being that it is a Diablo game we slay him, but that was ultimately his plot again all along corrupt everything in defeat such as baal's agenda with the worldstone. So now Diab-maltheal defeated Maltheal goes to respawn in the Crystal arch, and same goes for the seven, the seven now totally free and released such as they were in Diablo 2, and in doing so corrupts the High heavens, Fate lies shattered forever as the events that are now unfolding are directly happening because of us unforeseen even by the scroll of fate. In the way now there's corruption in the most sacred place and forces an all out war to extinguish both the burning Hells and the High heavens from Sanctuary for good, or at least banish them/Hide sanctuary permanently such as how Inarius when he discovered it without the two entities knowing. Think now back to the trailer for D3 when it was at its peak hype-point with the pen and ink style cinematic of the angels just pouring from the heavens waging war against millions of demons, Diablo breaking through from the ground, Tyreal, Inarius battling for the greater good, but now with us in the mix as enemies. Also if in our quest to extinguish the burning hell's we actually as nephalem invade hell, and release Inarius from his eternity of torture in Mephistopheles's play pin of mirrors in his gratitude shows us how to do this feat and banish/hide from both the high heavens and the burning hells permanently. The key to this feat? The man-made black soul-stone empty at this point, we must slay all seven, and also slay the Archangels to keep a Neutral balance between the stone so that pure corruption isn't solely in there. So that the stone nor entities cannot corrupt or waiver a single being on Sanctuary. Ultimately the last fight will be Imperious, unable to kill him by our-self. He's now tainted with corruption and bloodlust for humanity. With Tyreals assistance we defeat him. Tyreal now being the archangel/mortal of wisdom gives humanity his last gift.... His life and in doing so ultimately banishes both the high heavens and burning hells from our world. Tyreal now narrating the ending cinematic, the camera pans out a golden statue of the Tyreal we knew and loved from D2 holding the black soul-stone guarded by the New found order of Horadrim and inside the stone you see flashes of red and white as the Eternal Conflict rages on... Also in doing so opens up another Diablo-verse game other than on Sanctuary. With the two major entities forced to leave sanctuary they are now back in the eternal conflict un-tilted by humanity or so they thought, what created nephalem? Demons and Angels while in each others presence created us, so it opens up higher powered nephalem for the new game on the new "battlefield of eternity" inside the stone.paradoxic700 Apr 4
Apr 3 Can't complete story line I'm on the story mission Blood and Sand and it won't allow me to get the guys blood. The screen freezes on me every time I walk into the desolate sands. If you guys could get that fixed, it'd be much appreciated.On3to3nvy1 Apr 3
Mar 31 Are we even going to get a second expansion? Topic. Seems like they are hiring for a new Diablo game which is no sequel to ros...mvm1996 Mar 31
Mar 25 RE: Lachdanan Four years ago the ultimate fate of Lachdanan was discussed and I'll link to that discussion at the end of this post. I should like to revive that discussion on the brave knight that served King Leoric and fought the curse that steadily ate at him. I personally am curious and would make the suggestion of seeing him in-game again. My reasons against is that because we freed him of his curse in Diablo I then body and soul he is not present to be revived by the 'Fallen Star' and the second is that he is deeper in the Tristram Cathedral than we journey. My reasons for is that having his own set of story scrolls and if my second reason against is false then he would still be down in the Catacombs having been revived by the 'Fallen Star' (mind you we have not seen any of his knights and the other named knight: Gorash). Another reason for is a shield that strongly resembles the one he carried (perhaps even his very own shield) is found in the Royal Quarters that were just added in Patch 2.4.0 after chasing Queen Asyla's headless ghost. It's also interesting that the only function of the shield at the moment is for transmog purposes. A far-fetched theory that I have is that because we have been to the High Heavens with Diablo's essence released and Leah's fate undetermined we might again find ourselves going into the Burning Hells and in the same way we did as in Diablo I thereby crossing paths with Lachdanan once again. A curious note is how the High Heavens don't have their own hub town (something mentioned several times on the forum) and neither did we have one in the Burning Hells (albeit Tristram was the only hub town we had then.) Discuss. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5593239228William0074 Mar 25
Mar 24 Reaper as an item. Based on the item requirements from earlier editions, the reaper is far weaker than most other incarnations, they may be described as a death dealer, or a intelligence based class. She achually took your side in the conflict. Since this charecter is from your time, rather than dealing with past events, they are more powerrfull than the allies trying to alter there own fate, She clearly has another plan going. Despite being interupted (by you), in the storyline's attempt to save you from becomeing the fallen star, there is not much point in trying to summon you, since you are already there. Even justice has no freakin' clue who the stylish chick with the level sixty scythe powers is. It sounds like the plan is going well up to this point. The heaven's reported exausted powers from decades of conflict, still seem to provide a reaper enough power to influence events. This charecter was obviously not aware that the other incarnations all know each other.and vie for power. They all use there powers to seek those of equal power, in what is known as 'the eternal conflict' to mortals. The falling star is a moment in time. You would never whield the spell, or let the others know you had the power, without the other incarnations seeking to identify the change in magic. They see events as existing in a liniar way, event follows event, and that is why they have failed to grasp what your plan was to change the events that created them.Sword9 Mar 24
Mar 14 Xul and Methan (SLIGHT SPOILER) Wizard Intro: A necromancer… Do you know Mehtan? Xul Response: You know my apprentice? That's certainly odd. I guess this means Xul is now the canonical Necromancer from Diablo 2.Zerde10 Mar 14
Mar 8 Abd Al-Hazir, Sulkar interaction Does anyone know more on if we can fight the Immortal King Kanai? Or what can be done to awaken him. A friend and I just a couple of minutes ago rescued Abd Al-Hazir and got the event for Sulkar and his barbarians at the same time. Having both of them they started talking about Mount Arriet's destruction and how his people will wander without a place to rest. Sulkar then takes up vigil bowing to his dead king on the thrown refusing to let Abd Al-Hazir talk. We thought maybe we were supposed to take them both to the Cube room first but have yet to do so. I wan't to know if anyone has had further interactions with the two and if they say anything significant on maybe where Kanai's crown is? I'm finding this whole thing fascinating and just really want to see where it leads.TheMusician2 Mar 8
Feb 27 Who's this Skeletal Prime Evil ??? Minute 0:31 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC7AdjaAE2o Who is this creature? It look like a skeletal/dried version of the prime evil from Diablo 3, like all his power is gone, but the union of the seven great evils souls is still here. As you can see the main body and bigger horns are from mephisto, but there are also two smaller ones from Baal and the little jaws from Diablo the prime evil... Notice that there is also Itherael (Archangel of Fate) and after him this skeletal evil... I think it's not a coincidence, i am pretty sure that this is a hint to the next expansion, where the Nephalem will go crazy and all demon and angels will be on a sh*tload of problem... Maybe we go on bloodlust and try to claim all creation as our own and of the human race, i mean we rekted all heaven and hell, who can stop us now? The prophecy talking about the "fate" of Ithearel "...And, at the End of Days, Wisdom shall be lost as Justice falls upon the world of men. Valor shall turn to Wrath - and all Hope will be swallowed by Despair. Death, at last, shall spread its wings over all - as Fate lies shattered forever." Image of the Skeletal Demon http://i.imgur.com/bna3740.pngZergSkorpyon5 Feb 27
Feb 21 I love the Diablo 3 story ^_^ Some people will see this go to say i'm in drugs or something..... but no Diablo 1 and Diablo 2+Expansion have good story i know but for me Diablo 3 story is good too. I love Diablo 3 (Vanilla) and Reaper of Souls, i love the story and yes only miss one piece of the story The New Expansion and the story for now is awesome i love it. Some people complain about Diablo 3 story and they say "WTF Blizzard what is this Story - Poor Writers - Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 story is much better" and much more.... Pls this people are crazy Diablo 3 is fine have good story and awesome things and some people complain about everything even that not exist. If Blizzard make awesome things or not there are some people with problems about their work. yeah always because nothing is fine for that people and they can't appreciate the good work from Blizzard. And yes i'm hyped for the New Expansion for Diablo 3 and perhaps the story can be awesome... who knows ;)Veil48 Feb 21
Feb 21 Who is X'y'Laq? I know he's a demon, trapped within... a candle? by Zayl the necromancer. I found him in Moon of the Spider and Storm of Light. However, when I read Moon, he just suddenly comes out without explanation. Did he make an appearance in The Kingdom of Shadow? It's been quite a time since I read the book, and I can't recall I've seen him in the novel. What's his origin? How was he trapped and forced to aid Zayl in several situations?Ascalon0 Feb 21
Feb 18 What did she call me? At some point in Act 5, I'm pretty sure it was the Mystic who called me (a Wiz) a "solcharis." My vocabulary isn't too bad, but I did a double take at that. And the reason my vocabulary is decent is when I don't recognize a word, I write it down and look it up later. I did a search for "solcharis," and the 2-3 search engines I used all insist I've made a mistake. Nothing recognizes that word. It seems entirely made up, but that seems odd for just "idle chatter" from an NPC. Any feedback?Tashtego23 Feb 18
Feb 15 BlizzCraft -- Add a sentence to the story Hi Using all of Blizzard's lore, just add your sentence to the story... ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Diablo was passing through Deathwing Pass and suddenly he saw ...Adamfazai2 Feb 15
Feb 15 Necromancer Balance Lore Necromancer questions to Diablo Forums: 1. What does it mean that the Necromancer wants to preserve the "balance" and how does that equate to raising the dead? 2. Why is the necromancer from the jungle? He looks like he walked off of an 80s big hair video; just doesn't seem to fit any jungle theme. 3. Everyone keeps saying necro is better than the Witch doctor? I'm not saying they're wrong, but I'm just curious as to what they think is more appealing about him than the Witch doctor. Xul is coming!Aurin11 Feb 15
Feb 14 New idea for the future. D2 heroes -> villans Greetings. I was thinking about the developers always having to come up with something new, and I thought about the heroes from D2. Context: I was killing Diablo for achievement, when he took me to the realm in which I had to fight myself when I thought about the end of Diablo 3 Reaper of souls. At the end you are reminded that you are human, a very powerful human (nephalem), that one day will be tempted: Would you be a hero or would you become the world's doom? Well, I spent some time thinking about that. I love the story of the "dark wonderer" who after killing Diablo (in the original game) became Diablo in the second game. It was never clear whether the dark wonderer was a barbarian, a sorceress or any specific class. But what if this aspect gets to be explored in D3?? For example... What if Cain, or some sets of books (that can only be found in story mode) or Leah tells the story of the hero classes from previous games. And then somehow (in a dream, or in dungeon or something) you have to face the possibility (the fear) that they became the "dark wonderer"? This is what I was thinking about. Imagine fighting the Barbarian, Paladin, Druid, Necromancer, Assassin, Sorceress or Amazon from D2? For example: A sorceress that is hard to catch because she is teleporting everywhere while casting powerful elemental damage in massive area attacks... What if you struck here and you get frozen by her cold damage shield? Imagine a room full of hydras shooting at you while a freezing storm slows you down and the lighting reaping you apart? A paladin that deals monumental male damage while immune to one kind of elemental damage? A paladin that can take a beating while charging at you stunning you and delivering several blows at once. Imagine a Druid that calls for an army of animals that attack everything while an array of elemental damage comes from all directions. In the meantime he transforms into a bear that can take everything you throw at him while stunning you and reaping you with the claws. A necromancer that calls for an army of skeletons that deal all kind of elemental damage protected by an incredible golem that can have any legendary property from any class in the game. A necromancer that is hard to catch because it is rising walls of bone that trap you and hurt you while the army of bodies on the floor explode for an incredible amount of damage making him hard to catch. The amazon has sooooo many different skills she could definitely be a challenge. Attacking from afar with elemental damage while using the protection of Decoy and Valkyrie, and then later coming after you in face to face combat. Every class has amazing opportunities to be incredibly challenging. I was thinking that having to face the possibility of these heroes becoming part of the "dark side" would reinforce the idea that temptation is always there. It can be a nightmare fight that doesn't have to alter the current story. It can also be used to motivate players to complete the story mode once more for new lore and the possibility to unlock these fights. Think about that. I also wanted to thank everybody behind the game. Great job.Zebranegra4 Feb 14
Feb 3 Blizzard PLEASE Add Xiansai as a full zone ;__________;AdunSaveMe0 Feb 3
Mar 1 Diablo II I really move the D3 engine, but I love the D1, and D2 storylines, I would like my wife to experience them but she cant get into the older graphics and UI. I would love blizzard to release some expansion/DLC that we can pay for to take the current classes back in time and do the D1, D2 story. What do you think Blizz? ThanksThergin4 Mar 1
Jan 27 Could Blizz consider D3 filler and try again I mean they even sacked the person in charge of the development soooo, could they do that for D4?Rhael1 Jan 27
Jan 26 For Leah...(Spoiler Alert: Storyline) Am I the only one who gets some degree of satisfaction from killing Adria? I mean, think about it. She manipulated Leah, as well as Tyrael and the nephalem, into doing her dirty work of getting the souls of Belial and Azmodan into the Black Soulstone before sacrificing her own daughter to resurrect Diablo as the Prime Evil. That's just beyond foul. Fortunately, you get to tell her exactly how you feel about that. *sinister grin at the thought of killing that b---h*Aquila3 Jan 26
Jan 24 Several Questions about the Sin War trilogy. Recently I finished all 3 books. There are some questions I can't figure out. 1. Why did the barbarians willingly protect the Worldstone at the time, while Inarius considered all humans as abominations? The artifact was the main power source of the angel and the reason of why they became weaker and weaker. Did they make a pact with Inarius or received some blessing from him? However, since Rathma was allowed to enter the chamber and even seen as the Ancients's companion, that's not the case. 2. What does the second book's subtitle Scales of the Serpents stand for? As I recall, there isn't specifically mentioned in the book... it's not an object, nor an idea or something... what is it? 3. It seems that the Worldstone didn't work as the power-decreasing device to humans at the end of the book. The Angiris Council and Mephisto were all agreed that the humans must develop slowly with time, so they wiped out all of humans' memory. Thus, they actually just "forget" how to use their great power, until diablo 3? It's not that they start to gain great power just because of the Worldstone's destruction. Is that correct?Ascalon2 Jan 24
Jan 24 D3 Expac: Necromancer Hero What do you think?Killsparx77 Jan 24
Jan 20 Second Diablo III Expansion As you all know the ending of Reaper of Souls is somewhat telling us that in the next chapter of Diablo there will be a war between the nephalem and the Sin War between angels, and demons will continue. Diablo and the lesser evils are free again so this is hell's time to plot again over the destruction of the high heavens and the mortal world of Sanctuary. After the death of Malthael by the hand of the nephalem, Tyrael sees the mankind' champion within a new light. As the ending cinematic suggested the nephalem being a mortlal heart and a spawn between angels, and demons can be the ultimate good, and salvation or the ultime evil, and doom of creation. The nephalem can be easily corrupted by any being, angels or demons. In the second expansion i would suggest that after Diablo was released and his failed attempt to destroy the High Heavens by corrupting the Crystal Spire, has made him more eager to see the utter destruction of the angels. But for him to succeed this time he must stop the war in hell for the prime evil between him and his lesser brothers. So he decides that he must unite will all hell spawn's creation to bring forth another tide of war to the steps of heaven EVEN to subdue the nephalem to join him in his infernal crusade. This time with mankind's help that are proven to be stronger than the both sides he must no fail. Meanwhile Tyrael and Imperius had come to an agreement that Sanctuary may be a mistake by nature and the traitor Inarius but mankind can be a source of infinite justice and wisdom if given the right training to defy the evil lurking within them. Sensing a new war coming after the release of Diablo, brings a new age of peace and cooperation between angels and humans. Tyrael reminds Imperius that the evils of hell will try to succumb mankind to they're ranks and the Angiris Council must be vigilant so together they can repel the attempts of corruption. Tyrael now a mortal and once again a formidable member of the council is on his way of becoming the link between his brethren and the new Horadrim order led by Lorath Nar. As some of you know the Worldstone that was destroyed by Tyrael during Diablo 2 was a magical artifact that after the birth of Sanctuary and its first inhabitans was emitting a a magical resonance, like a wave of energy that was altered by Inarius the deserted that ran away from the Sin War so he could create his own paradise. The resonance before Inarius altered it was magicly enhancing the nephalem to learn and master quickly they're superhuman skills. But Inarius saw that and decided to alter in another frequency that instead of learning and harnessing supernatural powers bestowed to them by birthright they would degrade and become weaker with each passing generation. Hense forth is the humans with no powers. Weak and fragile to everything in life but with strong spirit and love for life they have both good and evil within. They are an interesting phenomenon to demons especcialy for they can be as bad as any of the evils or even worse. With the powers of the once strong race of nephalem gone it is up to the angels and the demons to show they're true potential by bringing them to war that can be devastating for the entire world. Now with all those things happening again the humans will be pawns in a much greater conflict. The Eternal Conflict will be this time fought not only by order and chaos but with the help by they're children - the Nephalem. So this second expansion will have both a Light campaigne and a Dark campaigne. As you create a hero you must chose on which side you will be on: The High Heavens or The Burning Hells. This choice will decide everything in game: quests, locations, even items and appearance of the character. Questgivers can be Diablo, Azmodan, Belial etc. if on Hell's side or Imperius, Auriel ot Tyrael on Heaven's side. Tell me what do you think about this plot.Vikcata9 Jan 20
Jan 20 Next Expansion will divide the Nephalem We will have to face the choice to be the savior or the doom of Sanctuary. They set it up perfectly. We have destroyed the Prime Evil, the Angel of Death. But now it is time to fight the battle within ourselves. We have ultimate power, will we choose to destroy our fellow nephalem or aid them. Now my version of the perfect next D3 would be to have your character choose a side, the good Nephalem or the bad Nephalem and play the expansion based on what you chose, and then integrate PvP into this system and allow bad nephalem and good nephalem to duke it out in Sanctuary. However, that is wishful thinking and I highly doubt it will be that way. But I am excited to see what the next D3 expansion has to offer, and I will be playing RoS nonstop until then. May we all ease the chaos.NoSSlayer212 Jan 20
Jan 20 Grey Hollow island Forest Hermit (Latin) Folks, So I decided to try and translate the following latin phrase that is spoken by the hermit on the island: Benedictus es deam Nereza maximum est. Nostra digni gratia tua et amor! Now I've never taken even a second language course, so the following is the best I was able to come up with, for a translation: A Prayer for Goddess Nereza Most high. In our deserving your Grace and Love. I would certainly welcome some corrections / opinions.Cybrwolf2 Jan 20
Jan 19 Adria, RoS Fight. This baffles me how hard the fight with Adria is. It makes the fight with Diablo look like a joke, I've died more times on my first encounter with her than the previous boss fights combined.Mango15 Jan 19
Jan 18 Greyhollow journal entries aren't there? Explored the entire island and only got the "part I" of explorer and testament. Were the rest somehow not added?Jaemeson3 Jan 18
Jan 15 So technically Diablo is released? Topic... So in the next expansion I would say it turns to nephalem against nephalem, where some follow diablo and others follow heaven. This could also end up as Diablo 4. But I feel like 2.4 is leading us into an expansion of some sort, and I imagine it will be very creative. ^_^Branch77x73 Jan 15
Jan 13 Cycles in Diablo world!? Hi all!! This is just some of my ideas for story, because it seams that Blizzard hit the wall with story. So lets begin. Lets introduce a fourth fraction The Guardians. Their goal is peace between Haven, Hell, and Sanctuary. They guide leaders of each faction, to peace but in key moments they step back and let leaders to choose with free will their decisions. That cycles has occurred my time and they failed every time. The Guardians are coming from The Void, or some other realm where neither Haven, Hell or Humans my enter, or aware of their existence. The cycle has fail this time because Haven has lost a war. Hell with his leader Diablo as Prime evil has achieved all seven evils in one (the return of Tathament, in next cycle it will be called Diablo) and Humans have six (maybe more) Nephalem who have more powers then goods. The Guardians have guided Humans as The Horadrim, and theirs last leader Deckard Cain (there is something suspiciously about him). Haven was guided with Auriel and hers The Cord of Hope. With Cord she can influence Angiris Council. I am not sure who will fit in this role for Hell. Expansion or Diablo IV If Blizzard go for expansion then story go to Skovos Isles and from there to Pandemonium Fortress where final battle between Hell, Haven and Sanctuary will occurred. Then The Guardians will come as Deckard Cain (resurrected, since only his mortal body died), Auriel and Hell representative. They will tell them that they fail and banish them to their realm, for 1000 years, and altering theirs memory, so that new cycle can begin. If Blizzard go for Diablo IV, and skip expansion, the can do something like Starcraft 2 and expansions. In Diablo IV our heroes can join Hell, first expansion Haven and finale expansion they can stand for Humanity. The ending can be similar to expansion ending. Finale battle of three army where The Guardians will show up and the cycle can begin. This is just some of my ideas how to develop a story in Diablo Universe. Don´t judge me to much. If you have any ideas please write them here. There is players here who know so much more of lore in Diablo then me. PS. Sorry for my bad English.Lemon3 Jan 13
Dec 21 Lore-centric role play clan? Hello forum members, I'm interested in playing with a clan that is into role playing and focused on the canonical lore of Diablo 3. I've tried to dig up any sort of clan like this but haven't been able to with any googling. I'm totally interested in starting one of these up. I used to play with Scythe of Sylvanas on Wyrmrest Accord and played a lot of DnD and stuff like that. Any existing clans would be coooooool though. Thanks! ~WormcrudLordSkvll4205 Dec 21
Dec 18 How Blizzards people develop the story? I am curious, here is a lot of different thoughts about next step in Diablo history, but is it really something useful for anyone who has the power or, as most of forum topics, just for communities entertainment? How Blizzards people develop the story for their games? Is it possible, that a mere mortal (not from inside the company) will give great idea, which will be implemented in project life? And if it's possible, then what exactly need to be done? P.S. I am apologize if I am in wrong sub-forum.SlowFox1 Dec 18
Dec 17 What WAS retconned? I've been looking a little bit more into the lore and I am curious what was exactly "retconned"? I thought the term Prime Evil was retconned so that Diablo could have a fancy and special title but it seems that the term prime evil just now has a double meaning (or something) considering that both Mephisto and Baal still got to keep their titles. Edit: so far I've heard that the Warrior (aka the dark wanderer) from Diablo 1/2 was retconned to be Leoric's second son which was never mentioned in the previous two games. Anything else? Edit: There may be some retconning to Leoric's character as well. In D1 it was shown that Leoric went mad but still tried to resist. In D3, however, it shows that Leoric was probably less resistant to the demonic influences and also more responsible for the atrocities he committed. Edit: Lilith was taken from being the mother of Andariel to being the daughter of Mephisto.Rol33 Dec 17
Dec 14 Captain Haile a nephalem? The Captain Haile quests for me are the most memorable side npc/quests. I don't know if it is the annoying enthusiasm Haile has for killing demons or the fact that he is still alive in Act 5. I hope he lives on for a very long time. :)therealgibbs8 Dec 14
Dec 14 Concerning Shapeshifters It seems to me that the last remaining fantasy class niche for Diablo 3 to tackle is shape-shifters. They did this before in Diablo II by means of the Druid. If they are going to do another expansion (and I realize that seems like a pretty big if at the moment), I'd say that's the niche to fill. Some thoughts: A: Mechanics: Diablo III is a bit more complicated in terms of class abilities than Diablo II. It's still a bit of a click-fest, but you have a lot more abilities readily at your finger tips. As such, shape-shifting could handle very differently: 1. It could be a complete skill category, and the form you take influences your primary and secondary attacks, among others. In your original form they could be spells, but in your shape-shifted form they'd become melee strikes, ranged attacks, or different spells. Your gear and the stats you choose for it may reflect your favored shapeshifting form: Str gear if you like to turn into a melee juggernaut, Int gear if you're changing into something that casts more spells, Dex if you like your more agile form. 2. Each ability could cause short term metamorphosis. One ability may be a devastating melee attack and every time you use it turns you into a bear, and another could be a speedy strike that turns you into a wolf-man or something like that. Still could allow for specific builds based on the form you prefer, but it does make your shape-shifting more dynamic. C. either way, they could have the base form be int or dex based, and have it shape-shift into the forms that use the unused-stats, and the gear stats could change to go with it if necessary. B: Lore Flavor Most of the time, when Blizz does Shape-Shifters, it's a Druid. The Druids of Scosglen could make a come-back, and I'd love to see some Celtic/Pict/Ancient British looking armor sets. That said, it can go other directions: 1. The Skin-walker: my friends that once lived on Native American reservations tell me that these guys are taken quite seriously there. Native American black-magic users. Super dark and super creepy. I'd imagine them in there base form having spears, then changing into bears, eagles, etc. Basically a native American Druid. That said, I do feel that there may not be room for another aboriginal spell-caster. 2. The Changeling: from the old fairy tales where fairies and witches and goblins (or demons) made bargains with mortals and exacted a the price of their first-born child. For this class, this is the child, years later, having learned shape-shifting as a way to cope and survive in their immortal guardian's realm. Now they are back, looking for answers, revenge, a place in this mortal world, etc. I'm imagining the base form is a young nobleman (if not prince/princess) complete with rapier and dagger (we don't have a swashbuckler yet either, but it's less needed), who can either change into various demons embodying strength, intelligence and dexterity, or fairy tale creatures, such as elves, ogres, and imps/crones. 3. The Night Lord. Ok, basically a vampire/were-wolf, only none of this undeath business. Kinda going with the Dracula: Untold feel, a nobleman makes a dark pact in order to save his people and becomes a bit of a monster. Base form is intellect, with the ability to transform into a swarm of bats for mobility and perform hypnosis based cc, Dexterity form is the were-wolf,and Strength form is an all out Demon. 4. The Cleric. Some of you maybe confused about this one, but hang in there. This isn't a hymn-singing healer. As for lore, these guys are straight out of Kurast. These are corrupt priests that survived our cleansing in Diablo II. This guy has entered into demonic pacts, done horrible things, and has finally snapped out of it. He's not expecting forgiveness, so he's not going to pretend to be a saint. He is, on the other hand, ready to make the forces of Hell pay for deceiving him and ruining his faith. This is a Hell-fire and Damnation Preacher that literally brings the hellfire and damnation in his base form, focusing on Intellect. But, he also can channel that inward, and have the demons that torment him manifest from within, changing into demons. Thoughts?MadDogMitch2 Dec 14
Dec 11 The Influence of Perspective on Tone Warcraft was my first exposure to Blizzard, but I've grown to like the Diablo franchise. I have a lot of nitpicks about Diablo 3, in both gameplay and retcons, but overall I find it an enjoyable experience, and it's finally gotten me invested in the lore. A lot of people have expressed concerns about the tone of Diablo 3, and I know what they mean. The problem is, it's not really Diablo 3's fault. 1) The Genre The "kill hordes of enemies" nature of Diablo's genre makes it impossible to fear the demons after too long. Especially after a couple of sequels, we see demons as juicy things to blow up and maybe get neat loot from. 2) The Nature of the Protagonist Something that's really easy to take for granted about the Diablo franchise (partially thanks to the former point), is that the horrors we face are rare. The problem is, as the protagonist, we're focused on the threat. So to us, Sanctuary is a world filled with demons to kill. Not a relatively normal world where demons are just stories and most people you know probably wouldn't even believe in them. Leah looks like a fool to us for not believing Deckard Cain, but she grew up when even the small pockets of the Dark Wanderer's demons were old news. In the first game, it had been centuries since the Prime Evils threatened the world. The fact that actual demons were under Tristram would have been unthinkable to anyone on that world, save Deckard Cain (and even he doubted it when he was younger). In the second game, the emerging evils only existed along the Dark Wanderer's trail. Most of the world would have gone on believing that such things were only myth, and the places that did get hit would have been quite surprised (most of them probably didn't even know what happened in Tristram). Even in the third game, each Act has a relatively localized threat. Tristram is affected by the Fallen Star. Belial's conspiracy primarily encompasses Caldeum. Azmodan's forces are all focused on Bastion's Keep. It isn't until Act V that the consequences affect the whole world (and most of them probably aren't going to know what's happening). Diablo 1 didn't have this problem because when it came out, it was completely new. You didn't know what to expect. You were going to this town known as Tristram for the first time. It was a medieval fantasy world, but something was wrong. People were coming back mad, or in pieces from these catacombs with stories of horrible, otherworldly things. You were as horrified of Diablo's minions as the people of Tristram were, because they were just as new to them as they were to you. Diablo 2 had a few advantages, chief among them being that it was the first Diablo game for a whole generation of players. But for Diablo 3, we're all used to it now. Sanctuary is the world we go to when we want to confront a huge horde of demons and blast them apart for satisfaction and loot. The Solution I don't really think it's something to be solved. I don't want the series to drop the idea of massacring hordes of demons, and the tone can't really recover as long as that's key to the series. However, there is an alternative. Something I think Blizzard should consider for their other franchises, is something I think the Diablo franchise would benefit from most. A spin-off game in another genre. Imagine a Survival Horror Diablo game, like Silent Hill or Clock Tower. I think you could go a long way in repairing the feel of the world of Sanctuary if you could throw off the yoke of hack-and-slash gameplay, but you can't do that in the main series. I want to see a Diablo spin-off where you play a perfectly normal human in a backwater town like the old Tristram, that's being menaced by a small handful or even a single demon. Something like the Butcher, but shown from the perspective of a normal person who cannot fight it. It's the sort of thing that can happen on Sanctuary, but we never have that perspective. If Blizzard made a solid experience with that goal, I think we could start to appreciate the horrors we face again, even in the main series.Jokubas6 Dec 11
Dec 11 I can't seem get my game to even install I have tried multiple times to install my Diablo 3 game with no success. It keeps saying something is broke and to try to download the Battle.net app. I try that and it doesn't even work. I try to contact the help line and I can't even get through to them. Can someone help me.KatelinRexen2 Dec 11
Dec 2 just a thought My friend came up with a good idea about going on in the storyline.....We haven't met Lilith and Inarius yet in d3......since they are the creators of sanctuary <and hopefully not killed off in the war> and only have had hints of them going thru act 5 in pandemonium....will we meet them and need to kill them in some big epic battle to save the world.....they created sanctuary who knows with all the demon killing that's going on Lilith may want to destroy it....Bloodrayn2 Dec 2
Dec 1 Wow, RoS is dark. Just replaying it for the first time in almost a year, and wow, compared to the first IV acts, act V really bumps up the dark and depressing factor. Just the opening quests make me shiver a bit. Also, anyone else think an interesting direction to take the next expansion would be to have the people of sanctuary actually side with the demons, because so far the angels have done nothing for them?Jaemeson12 Dec 1