Lore and Story

May 21, 2012 Zoltun Kulle *Possible Spoiler. Says the most interesting things. For example 2 lines caught me most was, "I know who you really are." What does that mean? Only really vague background was given about our hero, but basically we just ended up somehow trying to help Leah. Who are we really playing? xD Second line was, "We all agree that the end times are upon us, but do you truly believe that Belial and Azmodan could have engineered these events?" What does that mean? Could there be someone else behind this whole plot? Maybe Diablo, but remember he was trapped inside the soulstone. Adria? Could she really control those Lesser Evils? I always thought this expansion killing Diablo was too easy ( content wise). Hell, he was only in there for half an Act worth of content. Magdha had more content than him. Something to think about. repost from general.Ifrit8 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 Stop talking and let me play the game I love diablo 3 so far. I find the gameplay tight and extremely well polished. There are still a few things to iron out, but nothing out of the ordinary for any games. BUT Please stop the constant interruptions. I think there is a good consensus so far, from what I've read in many places here and there on the net, that the script of the main storyline is absolutely horrendous. I took my time, of course, for my first play through, to explore everywhere, listen to all the lore, talk to the characters and listen to the NPCs during the quest lines. On subsequent playthroughs, I find them extremely irritating. I press ESC as fast as I can, mash spacebar as quick as possible. It's to the point that it's seriously hampering my enjoyment. Allow me, for a paragraph, to make a reference to the previous game, Diablo 2. I agree that each game should be viewed in their own right, and that each gameplay features of D3 is synergetic with one another; as such that you could not just change something to how it was in D2, like some have expressed for different opinions, and have it work fine. BUT I would really like to have the possibility to remove the story from the gameplay, so that it stands in its own bubble, as in Diablo 2. D2 allowed you to start, run off without talking to anyone and get to the boss if you so desired. The storyline was a simple, enjoyable if corny, side-dish to the great action. Not here. Here you pause every 10 minutes, or are forced to take a pause, through NPC interactions. The story is constantly force fed to the player. And if you're not quick enough with the ESC, your ears are once more cursed with the horrendous script. Not to mention the irritating prompt during in-game cinematic (ARE YOU CERTAIN YOU WISH TO SKIP? - yes, why else do you think I'm putting considerable strain on my ESC button?). An option to remove all quest dialogs and in-game cinematics. This is my wish for the year. I want to enjoy Diablo 3 unhindered. Thanks. - A fan /// Unfortunately cross-posted from general discussion as the forums there move much faster than a formula1 on a looped circuit. I'm not sure if this is against the rule. If it is, please delete the one in General discussion.StarMinstrel0 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 Possible expansion ideas (Spoilers) Given the sales of D3, there is going to be an expansion if not multiple ones. Here's where I think the story will go in the first: 1. Imperious is not dead. If you look closely at him and the surrounding angels after they fall just before the Diablo fight you will notice they are still moving on the ground. Think about it - Your character was all set to fight Imperious who warned you that he would kill you right before they were temporarily disabled by Diablo's attacking the crystal arch. I think Imperious will go rogue from the council and the angels loyal to him will join him in an attempt to destroy Sanctuary. Also, during the animated video (can't remember the name right now) Diablo says to Imperious "Are you afraid your brethren will find out what you really are?" This seems to suggest there is something different about Imperious, which could also factor into the expansion plot. Beyond that story line, I could see Blizz releasing multiple expansions similar to WoW. Maybe one focused on the Barbarians after the destruction of Areat, or maybe one focusing on the story of Leah and Adria. Who knows. Your thoughts?moc3 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 Why the Story was Amazing (Spoilers) Seriously, I think you guys are downplaying the abilities of the writers by a ridiculous margin, its a complicated series of events set in motion by Diablo before even the events of the first game, with his intentions to eventually become the Prime Evil. This plan works obviously, I don't think anyone is disputing that, but you guys aren't looking at all the details strewn across the entire series as a whole. This was all his plan, all along, he expected us to kill his brethren, and so he set things in motion in order to use that to his advantage in his plot to become the Prime Evil http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271778117?page=1 Full Explanation^ and BEFORE you comment, read that, as you all obviously have not been, because I'm repeating everything from there on this page, answering the same questions that you could have either answered yourselves by listening to the dialog, or read that post I linked. Page 2 of this topic is also answering most of what you are asking. And almost every one of those posts I just wrote is complete repetition of the post I already link and you neglected to read before coming here and asking the questions that are easily answered^ I've done a single playthrough of each game, and thats the only place where what I'm saying is coming from, its very easy to understand, its very basic dialog, not too hard of a story to follow. I didn't go on the wiki, didn't read any Diablo books, this is all straight from game dialog/journal/lore passages. P.S. watch the final cutscene again, Black Soulstone falls from Heaven as Diablo's body burns away, with all seven evils trapped inside, and Adria still lives as Diablo's servant... I think its safe to say Blizzard could keep going as long as they please.SheepDogWoof31 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 Deckard Cain didn't die... Deckard Cain didn't die... ...he quit in protest. Is this a fan submitted story or something? And the best-written story line award goes to... *tears open envelope* SOMEONE ELSE! You guys are so lazy now. Before it was funny when you released lazy expansions but this is a whole new game. Now its just insulting.Leviathan2 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 Is Leah mentally handicapped? She alludes to, in her journal and in one of the earlier cinematics, that she believes all of Deckard's stories to be untrue, made-up. Yet, when she's running around with your party and prattling on constantly, she keeps saying the various places are familiar to her and that she went with Cain on his journeys, etc. She also seems completely nonplussed about any supernatural events going on around her. She exists in a blatantly supernatural world, where Diablo, or at the very least the supernatural, is a part of the history of the !@#$ing town she lives in, or near, and she insists Cain is just a silly old man. Also, why all the Leah love? She is a horribly shallow character. Nothing she says has consistency of thought. She's a typical fantasy-genre nubile teenage girl. Her lines are terribly written, and forced. She exists for the sole purpose of becoming Diablo in a "oh-what-a-twist" turn of events, despite there already being many candidates for ultimate villain already established in the universe - Is it a case of "she's my waifu" and "I'm a girl so I like ANY and ALL girl characters," or is this the only story you've all ever experienced, and have no standard by which to judge this one-dimensional character? I'm having a ton of fun gameplay-wise, but it seems to me that the team that made this game took great pains to %^-* all over everything Blizzard North created in Diablo 1 & 2, story and character wise. Tyrael becomes human, Cain dies, Diablo is female ( even though in both other games Diablo doesn't represent the person he bursts out of ). If you want a well-known character to turn evil, then pick an established one. If you want a female main villain, then make one up. Hell, they could've made Leah a demon huntress to at least give some gravity to her becoming Diablo, rather than just creating a Bella Swan rip-off. INB4: "Durr, you're just sexist."Dystram51 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 Which end of the sword goes where? I haven't been paying attention.Astinus1 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 Just my 2 cents. First of all, I just wanted to say hi to all of you here, since this is my first post on the forums. I have enjoyed this game pretty much so far, Act 1 was the best in my opinion (since it was the easiest, and I'm a total noob.) However, when I reached the ending, I was kinda disappointed since there was no mention of the 'hero' or Leah whatsoever. She did deserve a cinematic at least, some form of closure (since I know that there was no way for her to be alive). Aren't the angels slightly too stupid for their own good? When the nephelem defeated Diablo (sexy form), they just tossed the black soulstone back it sanctuary (or was it hell?). If they truly wanted the end of evil, why didn't they smash it just like Tyrael planned in the first place?Bulbasour0 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 Diablo 3 Storytelling (spoiler free) Story and storytelling are the main reasons why I play video games. Put it simply: I love being told stories. This is however my main concern regarding Diablo 3: if the story is going to be interesting and if it is going to be well told. Now there is no reason to rush and comment Diablo 3 Story before release. But the way the story is told, how you interact with it, is something that can be already discussed. It can be mainly discussed regarding the way Blizzard´s games have evolved. Starcraft 1 had a simple mechanism: almost everything was narrated through short text every x missions and mainly through briefing and discussing before each mission. In the missions, on the other hand, the story did hardly evolve: with a few exceptions (Tarsonis, finding Tassadar), missions were about doing what you already knew. Despite this, Starcraft 1 remains one of the strongest narratives of Blizzard. It was simple, but delivered. Both Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 departed from this idea. Diablo 2 did it so following Diablo 1 formula of story telling: mainly through dialogue with other characters. This, however, took place in a limited way: the story advanced mostly at the start and ending of each act. In between you would normally follow auxiliar plots. It was, so to say, story dry except for the big moments. But it did had some big moments: I´am sure most can recall Tyrael vs. Baal / Diablo as one of the strongest ever moments in Blizzard´s history. Warcraft 3 -mucho more suited to follow Starcraft´s formula- took the exact opposite direction: no mission briefing, very little summary text and almost everything was told in game (in mission). This may sound like progress regarding Starcraft 1 but it actually felt less involving: you were pretty much almost always wandering around and felt like it. It did have some big moments as well -Gromm vs Mannoroth and the whole orc campaign- but it felt a little bit...lost. No big surprise that Blizzard returned to the off-mission formula of Starcraft with Starcraft 2, although with much more ressources: no more simple text or out of nothing briefing, but a continous experience in Raynor´s life. Now many may say that despite this, Starcraft 1 felt better. There is one element which no other Blizzard game has had: you were you (as the magister, cerebrate, executor) and not Raynor, or Arthas / Thrall / The Stormrage brothers. But overall Starcraft 2 was obviously technically superior to Starcraft 1. Story telling was very well developped, although the story herself remains to be seen. How can Diablo 3 fit into this? Jay Wilson is a known developper of very good gameplay games. DoW is a masterpiece of strategic gaming. But storywise it sucks or, better, has almost no story: it is a gameplay experience. However since the beginning he has insisted that gameplay in Diablo 2 seemed fine, but storytelling could be better. His main focus was to enhace story telling. The elements we have so far (cinematics, Wrath, the beta) seem to indicate that indeed the story seems to be evolving from the very simple formula of Diablo 1 and 2 (Story of the game is just, well, kill Diablo) to something more complex. The way you are told the story through books which can be heard while you play, interaction with characters and so on seems to be similar to Diablo 2, but much better executed. More than that, every part of the game (Beta) tries to connect you with the main story. This is a huge progress regarding Diablo 2, which felt disconnected except for key moments. Let´s see if this promises deliver. Waht do you guys think?Turgol8 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 I am probably not the only one who had this.. in mind: Does the Imperius and Diablo encounter remind you of Scar and the Alien Queen's final battle in AVP? Looks aside (Imperius with his helm and Diablo's vaguely xenomorphic structure), these parts, in particular, made the encounter amusingly familiar (and that's not counting the whole deal with the chains in "Wrath"). - the dramatic spear attack - the tail swipe - the impaling Thanks to the printscreen key and YouTube, I was able to make a side-by-side comparison for you guys to enjoy. http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9884/avpd3compare.jpg --------------- And for something story-related: Would Tyrael have fared better than Imperius in close quarters combat / direct confrontation with Diablo? Judging from the Diablo II cinematic, I personally believe that Tyrael is a better fighter as he was able to take on Diablo (Wanderer) and hold his own even when Baal came into play. Plus, a sword would be more efficient in that regard. A spear just looks awkward against a large non-human with more than one weapon in his arsenal. Odin and Gil-galad can attest to that :)Heavenstorm7 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 Adria D1 vs D3 - Possible Spoiler - vid of A2 So, Adria sounds like this on Diablo 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7Zm8f2j3dk But, Adira sounds like this on Diablo 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGW1LM0kUXQ&feature=relmfu Could have made the voices sound similar Blizzard?! blazzerm4 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 Dissapointed D3 is a good and i enjoyed playing it but the stoyline is way to short.... i really expected better.sydbabe870 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 Curious about Soulstone I just wonder that after they trap all of Prime and Lesser evil inside black soulstone, how come Tyrael still says, He has to destroy the black soulstone. From what I know are the soulstones of Diablo, Baal, Mephisto were destroyed once in Diablo2 and we were told that the soul of 3 prime evils were destroyed. Then in Diablo3, How come Adria found those soul and trap it again? So does it mean those soul are invincible and cannot be destroyed? Then in Diablo3 even after we kill Diablo that contain all of evil soul in his body just to release all of evil soul again? What if Tyrael success in his design just destroy the black soulstone still cannot destroy the evil soul? (base on we once destroy Diablo, Baal, Mephis's soul already and still their soul remain intact) Anyidea?NeoShinigami2 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 Expansion/future Diablo sequels idea Since Blizzard is so set on basically retconning our whole view of Diablo's storyline, why not this? We've always been treated to a Nephalem champion of good, order, and the Angels - one prime example is Uldyssian, and then the players themselves. But what about a Nephalem champion of the Burning Hells? It's been explained before why the Nephalem are so intriguing - at least, for Itherael - was that their destinies are unwritten, that they alone have the power of choice. Such power is impossible for either Angel or Demon, being locked into their nature. And also, being the get of Angels and Demons, humans naturally have the intrinsic power to both good and evil, and that they're more powerful than their parents. We've already seen firsthand how powerful the Nephalems, fully unlocked, are in Diablo 3. How about in the next expansions, or in the future Diablo games, we're going to fight Nephalem champions of the Burning Hells?Zanyuki2 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 The only xpac idea worth reading. Let me start by saying that Blizzard's writing staff has really screwed themselves. It will be extremely difficult to come up with a believable villain that is more powerful than all seven Evils combined. Unless Diablo gets somehow resurrected again, the only beings I can think of who would pose a greater threat to the main character are the heroes from Diablo 2. Specifically, having to fight all of them at once, as opposed to another cliche giant demon boss fight. Having them all go insane or get possessed would be a huge stretch, but Blizz can probably pull it off without too many people complaining. Seven heroes, each possessed by one of the seven Evils. It's almost like they planned it from the beginning. Unless Blizz starts getting time travel involved (please don't), no other ideas seem very sensible. P.S. And yes I'm sure Malthael and Covetous Shen will be involved somehow, but I do not see them as being boss fights. Diablo defeated Imperius, the angels' leader, and we defeated Diablo. Therefore, angels pose no threat.Kriegen9 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 [Spoiler] Expansion Maybe I missed something but.... * Cain: Dead * Leah: Dead * Adria......that **** is still alive isnt she? Hmmmm.Mijuu15 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 The story was a complete and utter letdown Yes I understand Diablo has always been about the dungeon crawl and loot, but cmon... D3's story makes SC2's story look like Citizen Kane, and SC2's story isn't that great (but SC2 also isn't an rpg). Now I am not expecting Bioware level of story here, but seriously D3's story is really shameful on how predictable and mundane it is.Geo14 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 Are there any audio books for Diablo? I cant find any but wanted to make sure.Losse1 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 Some thoughts on the quality of writing. Fantasy writing is pretty hard to swallow for most, but the setting should never dictate the quality of the writing. I always defended this company when people would say to me that writing for games is half baked. I would say.. "Check out a blizzard game, they can write great characters". Even when writing about orcs, goblins and demons, this company has always made their stories compelling. This title plays out like a children's novel that I would think squeamish. Clichés, rhetorical questions, poor motive, multiple obvious betrayals. Most of this would end up on the cutting room floor if it were put up as writing for film and TV. (AAA+ Games have a higher budget than both of those mediums, so money is not an issue). The writing in some of these modern Blizzard titles just does not match the care given to the art and game-play, which is still unparalleled by anyone in this business. If the powers that be, do actually have a read of these forums from time to time, take the feedback on this board..... on board!Ull6 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 What's exactly Bastion's Keep ? So, I've just noticed this, In game, they say King Korsikk built Bastion's Keep to protect the kingdom against the barbarians from the North... Problem is, prior to the game, Abd al-Hazir said it was a barbarian bastion of mount Arreat... so, who's bastion is it actually ? The soldiers are no where near the look or shape of barbarians either (apart from the merchant selling dyes). So, the army standing there is actually from Westmarch or Entsteig ?, Also, in game, a messenger from westmarch appears in the bastion's keep and claims that the king of westmarch won,t send reinforcement to help battle against imaginery demons, or something like. So my bet would be that its either Westmarch, or Entsteig that asked westmarch for helpIsenhar4 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 Aiden = dark wander = leah's father? well its pretty obvious from the journal you find in Adria's hut that Aiden (i think thats how you spell it) is the dark wandered form diablo 2. but by the tone of her voice its sound like her an aiden were close. do you think aiden was leah's father?D3BETA11 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 Diablo only possesses Leoric's Bloodline..WHY Diablo in D1: Prince Albrech (Leoric's youngest son) Diablo in D2: Aidan (Adventurer who killed Diablo in Diablo 1 and is Leoric's oldest son. Also Aidan is the Dark Wanderer from Diablo 2) Diablo in D3: Leah (Daughter of Aidan who was the Dark Wanderer in Diablo 2) Of all the humans in the world of Sanctuary why does Diablo only target the Leoric Family Bloodline?StockWarrior12 May 21, 2012
May 21, 2012 SPOILER: Tyrael becoming human? So I'm not powering through the game as fast as others, both due to my inherent tendency to explore as much as I can in such games, and because I'm preparing for an upcoming move. However, something is... bugging me about Tyrael's newfound humanity. The ending cutscene of act 1 shows Tyrael removing his wing... armor... things, and becoming human or seemingly human. Am I the only one a little bothered by this? The original humans or Nephalem, were created by renegade demons and angels mating or combining their essences or whatever metaphyiscal beings do instead of coitus. Now, personally, I've always been a little bothered by the fact that all angels seem to be humanoids in armor with tentacle wings, when compared to all of the various forms demons can take, but what bothers me now is that essentially a depowered angel looks identical to a human. If that's the case, then couldn't any angels that have removed their wings in the past been "human"? It just strikes me as a bit odd that an angel that chooses to fall can become a human, rather than what I thought was the unique intermingling of demon and angel. I mean, one could (potentially correctly) argue that Tyrael as a fallen angel lacks the raw potential of a nephalem, but even the fact that he's identical to a human being just rubs me the wrong way. It takes humans from "angel+demon" to simply "less than an angel".Omacron11 May 21, 2012
May 20, 2012 Shen's possible secret identity. It's hinted at that Shen is a possible deity multiple times. The deity they refer to is some sort of trickster god that walks among men. However, he then references a gem that he is looking for, a gem that contains something that is killing people who gain control of the gem. He mentions wanting to seal the gem so that the evil inside will never hurt anyone again. This reminded me of the story of creation (get Book of Cain) where Anu and the Tathamet battled for eons inside a gem that compromised creation, which then shattered. While I don't think it's the route Blizzard would take, there's something that makes me think that it's possible that Shen is a portion of, if not Anu himself (too cowardly you say, well he doesn't have his spine afterall). The correlation between gem and god makes me think they're trying to reference it, without being direct and obvious.Afrofrycook7 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 redoing the game when i started a second playthough on my old hero on the same difficulty i don't get the awesomes cutscenes why is thatzezia0 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 THE GODS I'm just wondering, other than Trag'Oul.....what "Gods" do we know about to exist for 100% certainty? What is a "god" in the Diablo universe? Are they more powerful than a Prime Evil or Archangel? How do they fit into the big fat cosmology? We seem to know much less about them than the denizens of Hell and Heaven.Mijuu2 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 How the story should have gone... Instead of the dumb contrivance of introducing some annoying relative of Cain and Adria for us to try and care about(we don't, all she does is whine), this story should have focused even more on Tyrael. Wouldn't it have been way cooler if after busting up the Worldstone, Tyrael became corrupted and this whole game could have been about us losing the fight for his soul untill HE turned into The Prime Evil and needs to be defeated? Then we would have a character that we actually give a !@#$ about and have actual feelings for when %^-* goes bad. Act IV becomes much more interesting as the corruption/invasion of heaven would have happened from the inside by one of their own. That would have made a lot more sense then "Oh look, Leah turned into Diablo /cast heavenportal". It would have made for a much more epic story, a better bittersweet ending, and would make the expansion pack to save Tyrael's soul that much more exciting.Dudeman3 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 [Spoiler] Can we get an alternate ending? So some inferno scavengers with all sorts of crazy abilities took over new tristam last night! And leah died as a result. Would that mean we beat the game and prevented the future acts from happening?!Stri0 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 The Age of Mortals Has JUST Begun.... Stealing a line from WoW BUT CONSIDER: 1. The Worldstone was dampening humans power, now its gone and clearly humans have become more powerful than they were before. 2. There was fear they could become more powerful than any angel or demon. 3. SO......what will happen to mankind? Could they "evolve" to levels of power as great as Anu before he shed his evil? I suspect Expansion pack conflict could be Nephilim/lem centric. RIGHT NOW all the lords of hell are ostensibly "dead" there is likely a VAST power vacuumn and lieutenants fighting in civil war. This is interesting because 1. Innarius is still down there, originally being tortured by Mephisto....now that everything is in Chaos...perhaps he has a chance to escape. 2. Who exactly can claim credit for SAVING the High Heavens? Many Angels and Demons joined, and birthed humanity as a result. TRUE they did almost create the Prime Evil in Diablo HOWEVER.....it would have not been possible to ultimately destroy ALL their foes without mortals like Kulle and the heroes of the game. I can see Innarius (OR LILLITH!) returning in an Expansion. Inarius wanted to keep them under control, but he is mentioned as being very vain and arrogant, so I can see him suddenly making a claim that he deserves to rule over them and the angiras council. Lillith on the other hand, if they returned could proclaim themselves as the "Mother of Mankind" (albeit, not all humanity is descended from JUST lilith and Innarius, for example Rathma was, but Bul-Kathos had a different pair of Angel/Demon parents). She wanted to lead the Nephalem as an army against BOTH the Burning Hells (now without a leader) and the High Heavens. She could incite paranoia that the High Heavens want to control them, and that ONLY now that the Worldstone is gone can they achieve their "destiny".Mijuu6 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 No worse than Diablo 2 It's puzzling that so many posters think D3's story is worse than D2's. Truth be told, both games have less than impressive plots and characters. It's hard to say which one is flimsier. If my guess is correct, the only reason many of you prefer Diablo 2 is because you played it 12 years ago. You were younger, more naive, and couldn't really appreciate the difference between a good story and a bad one. Approach D3 with an open mind, and don't expect the immersion to match that you experienced in your childhood. It's not the game that's different, it's you.FinalDoorman5 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 [SPOILERS]Few possible Xpac ideas?[SPOILERS] Some loose ends that can be discussed in future Xpacs. PLEASE KEEP THIS CIVIL AND TROLL FREE. Lllith - If I'm not mistaken she hasn't been seen since she went psycho. Could we possibly help her free Inarius from hell. I'd expect Lilith wouldn't be hostile towards us since mortals are technically her children. Tyrael - What happens now that he is a "mortal angel?". Now that he is the embodiment of wisdom who becomes justice? Adria - She betrayed us and then disappeared, could we see her as a leader of hells remaining forces?. Leah - Biggest upset that she was Diablo's host. Can we free her soul from the abyss? but if we pierce it, how do we know nothing bad will escape? Imperius - His pride almost got him killed by Diablo, his hatred for mortals runs deep. Since it was a mortal that killed the Prime Evil, not an angel. Could we see his hatred loosen and see us as a worthy being? Hell - Now that the lesser and prime evils are gone does hell get thrown into chaos? Who steps up to take over if there is anything left? Malthael - Where has he been? Could he ultimately turned evil? Xatrez3 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 act 2 story help needed iv play act 2 many time, and i still dont get a major plot point. when is it that the hero figer out that the king is the demon, i mean you keep runing around the king say hay ill look into who it could be then he return and say i know who it is ill tell u latter then your like ok i know your him how and when did u the hero figer it out???????????joeyslasher2 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 The REAL Explanation for Diablo 3's story: This is all just a big illusion that Belial, the Lord of Lie's trapped you in in the beginning: This is why its a horribly cheesy story which finally cumulates in a giant dream sequence for your ego where you get to be more powerful than the combined might of all the angels of heaven. This, coindidentally, is ALSO why Azmodan has the IQ of a toddler: Belial, having a raging Hatred of Azmodan, couldn't resist making his most hated enemy behave like an utter imbecile, even if it weakened the credibility of his lie.aleksandor3 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 I LIKED the story! (spoilers) So much negativity on these forums. I actually really enjoyed the game. + I found the voice acting (overall) to be high quality. Someone here wrote that the female monk's VA is bad. I tend to agree. + I thought that the story made sense, and was fully believable within the context of the Diablo universe. They went out of their way in game to explain why things were happening. For example, I was wondering why Tyrael falling awoke the dead. My wizard asked him about it in Act II, and he explained it. I appreciated that. + Leah being Diablo was made too obvious, but I don't think that is an issue of Diablo 3's story. I think it is an issue of Blizzard's saturation of storytelling, and also the saturation of fantasy in the market right now. It's becoming very very very difficult to tell a story that will fully surprise people. Nevertheless, I think they should have made more of an effort to throw off the player. + Same with Belial. Make Emperor Hakan seem like Belial, and then make Asheara actually be Belial, or something like that. + Adria being evil actually surprised me, but mostly because I really really wanted her to be (and convinced myself she would) be good. + Amazing cinematics. + Gameplay is a blast and extremely well thought out. I find myself trying new and VIABLE builds ever time I play.Rezildur0 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 if I could think of a better story..(spoils) (Rough) And this is not a blizzard bash, the story "for what it was worth" was "fun" while kinda..all over. Honestly though from understanding Chris Metzen was involed with this right? Well..either way! So this is just from an 'ending' stand point, something I (and know one needs to share my view, its my thoughts and my own little thing but, feed back is welcomed because its just fan fic!) Lets see, Leah, the focus of diablo 3 who is suppose to be at least the "new deckard cain" oh wait lawls shes dead. Ok so you wanted her to be diablo, but you guys are blizzard lack so much creativeness. Leah: Son of Aiden bores fragment of darkness, she could intime become the lord of terror, but within her burns a light as well. What could it be that burns inside of her? the arch angel Tyrael! upon destroying the world stone his body was torn asunder, parts of the angel of justice, found a body to reside, the then child Leah. Leah conflicts with her self, A great darkness and a great sense of justice within her self. This all boils over when, yes Deckard cain still needs to die sadly but his death MEANS something. Adria kills deckard behind closed doors because she is 'holding her daughter back" but Leah see's this, she goes insane and grabs the black soul stone which forces it self into her self and she becomes the lord of terror. Adria says it was all part of there plan but diablo enraged by 'human" emotions try's to kill her to which she escapes: Diablo still invades heaven and all moves along as it was going. Upon meeting diablo finally Your hero try's to reason (yes reason) with leah saying remember your uncle and all he fought for, did, believed in. you battle, beating diablo to half health and suddenly roars in pain grabbing his head, Leahs voice screams to "kill me justice will be done!" and upon this another voice yells "Justice must be done!" diablo glows white and out spits tyrael who, was also within Diablo. Diablo don't seem to care because now he has "more" control of that body, You go about killing diablo, and all that jazz and when you toss Diablo from the high heavens, his body burns up as it was but rather the body just burning up, the black soul stone falls as it did, but diablos body reverts to leah for a short moment who, has a look of peace upon her face for being set free and then proceeds to burn up as well.Massacre0 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 where to find a complete story about diablo? hey guys. I haven't played Diablo 1 because i was verry little then,and didn't get that part of the story.But now after reading various articles i got the big picture about the story around hell,Heaven and Sanctuary.But it's not enough. I mean,is there a book or something that explains every aspect of the story from the begining,togheter with all the characters(Angels,demons ,the humans )etc ?Shinshila0 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 Great Characters Loved Zultan Kulle. Loved Imperius. But must of all, COVETOUS SHEN!!! We need to start a fan club for that man.Doncroft4 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 [Spoiler] Imperius: The Aspect of Douchebag Is it just me or is Imperius a complete douchebag, before you go to the Crystal Arch and fight Diablo he confronts you and Tyrael and meant to do battle with you when it's clear that Diablo is he enemy and not the player and if he didn't momentarily lost his power through the corruption of the Crystal Arch you would have ended up fighting him instead, even Auriel told you to "pay no heed to him" probably thinking in the back of her mind what a jerk her fellow archangel is, even in the Wrath animated short video he is presented as a complete douche.celebrei7 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 About the Black Soulstone Does anyone else find it strange that in the end of act 4 cinematic that all they do is throw Diablos dead body off the the platform you are fighting on and as they show the body falling it started to turn into ashes and the black soulstone comes out of him whole not destroyed. Wouldn't you think that they would have remembered to destroy it before they got rid of his body and let all these evils go with the chance to be released again with Adria still out thereTohru3 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 Tyrael... still a mystery (spoilers) so anyone think he may have became mortal as part of a more elaborate plan? something about Zultun Kulle telling us that both the angel and witch are using us... also in general in the world of diablo nothing ever really good happens to the "good characters". They end up dead or corrupted pretty much all the time lol. Also not sure if i missed something all three times playing through the story.. i don't really understand how him falling caused all the demons and dead to rise up from the cathedral. pretty sure the skeleton king says something to the regards of the fallen star has given me power. If anyone can explain it maybe i just missed it.Realityvoid6 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 Fallen angels and risen demons In western culture, demons are generally considered to be fallen angels. But in the Diablo universe, there have always been angels and demons. Yet--in the game, we see that the corruption of angels is a thing. It doesn't turn them into demons, but it does make them demonic if you see what I mean... So, I think we ought to see, in some expansion or some in-universe novel or something, some movement the other way--we ought to see demons who have become angelic. Just saying is all.Speusippus2 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 World First Full Walkthrough/Story Vid Series Update 5/20 5:55a EST Friday and Saturday I spent some time off of the game to relish in being one of the first to post a FULL walkthrough of Diablo 3 from start to finish on any difficulty. I did TWO 24 hour marathons and posted the videos to my partnered YouTube channel, The Awesome Incarnate. I'm not planning to post hourly videos anymore, but I rather 3-5 videos a day to document my journey through Nightmare mode and beyond! My Channel: http://www.youtube.com/TheAwesomeIncarnate Diablo 3 Demon Hunter Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL147C5CF3918AB706&feature=plcpAetherius0 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 Where did Baal's soulstone go? Not necessarily related to Diablo 3, but in Diablo in general. So where did Baal's soulstone go? I was expecting this to be touched at least in D3 but all we did was spend an inordinate amount of time trying to kill 2 Lesser Evils - about 80% of the gameplay - when in Diablo 2 we only spent an Act for each Lesser Evil. Just throwing this around for more plot material for Diablo 3's expansion.Zanyuki6 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 [Spoilers] Tyrael and Imperius? So, the conflict between Tyrael and Imperius is just left hanging? There is nothing at the end where Imperius realizes he was being such a ##@%?Ult1 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 Tyrael was a fool (spoiler) ---------------------- ---------------------- ---------------------- ---------------------- ---------------------- ---------------------- ---------------------- ---------------------- ---------------------- ---------------------- ---------------------- So how can Tyrael be the Angel of Wisdom?Snuggleform8 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 D2 Hero stories. Was there any back story on what became of the heroes from Diablo 2 in game? One of the great things about Diablo 2 is the fact you end up killing all 3 original heroes from Diablo 1. I just finished normal mode with a Barb. Spent 30 hours going through everything, and trying to hear all conversations/lore books. Actually going back now to get what i missed. yet I didn't hear anything on the current whereabouts of the D2 heroes. also, Is the Barb from D3 the same one from D2? The answer seems extremely vague judging from the dialogue.Bloodlust11 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 What did you like about the Diablo 3 story? I know a lot of people were not happy with the story, but I enjoye it (even if it was rather predictable. What you did like about the story and characters? For myself I thought that they fixed my biggest issue with D2 and that is making the playable characters feel alive, interesting, and most importantly really badass. I loved running around town and hearing people just chatting about how badass I am. What I did in the world was not only acknowledged, but felt meaningful. The second thing (and one that I think should have been a bigger element) was the story of the follower. I was genuinely touched by the scoundrels tale, and in the end my character in turn offers to help him. That moment had me emotionally invested. What about you?ICDragon8 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 Why does deckard cain have a PHD in monsters? He seriously knows everything and can repair broken swords >_o why? Hes old and gets a beating from skeletons.MonkeyDLuffy3 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 Leah's Origins *Spoiler Warning* Adria: "I SENSE A SOUL IN SEARCH OF ANSWERS!" Aiden: "That's right, baby. I've got a big question that needs answering. Adria: "You mean you're not just here to buy a metric ton of healing potions?" Aiden: "Nope. I just got back from killing Diablo. You may have heard. No big deal." Adria: "Hmm. You seem different." Aiden: "What? No I'm the same guy. Please ignore my cloak and don't look at my forehead, whatever you do." Adria: "Very well. What was the question that needed answering?" Aiden: "Awww yeahhh." Adria: "That's not a-- oh. Ohhh." *queue music*Kriegen2 May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012 why are all the characters w----? Why does Blizzard have to make all their characters w----? is there some law saying they have to make all their characters w----?Fiestaware2 May 20, 2012