My Predictions on RoS' Story

Lore and Story
Note: This was part of a much more long winded post in the RoS forum. I'm assuming all of the back story I cited in that post is unnecessary on this forum.

It's my theory that Malthael regained all of his powers as aspect of wisdom when the World Stone was altered at the end of the Sin War. He realized a few important things:

1. Mortals have within them both good (angelic influence) and evil (demonic influence) therefor there was no predicting their allegiances.

2. The potential contained within humanity (Nephalem) was powerful enough to upset the natural balance of the Eternal Conflict.

3. Mortals would need to be destroyed.

This would all definitely fall within the realm of wisdom. It is never revealed whether Malthael's powers extend past the present and into future events. Even so his wisdom had to have allowed him to come to some pretty obvious conclusions:

1. Tyrael voted for humanity to live so Malthael knew his vote wouldn't affect the outcome so it was better for him to keep his motives to himself.

2. The World Stone would continue to protect humanity from any sort of direct action from angelic or demonic threats.

I think this was the reasoning behind the comment he made when he abstained during the vote for the fate of humanity. I believe his disappearance when the World Stone was destroyed was in preparation for what he knew would need to happen. Perhaps he was going to destroy humanity then but the events of Diablo 3 made him wait instead?

Now here's a really interesting thought: surely Malthael knew the prophecy of the End of Days and furthermore he probably knew better than most what it meant. Does that mean knew how how the events of Diablo 3 would unfold before they happened? There's no way to know for sure.

But once all of the Prime Evils were in one nice, neat, package (Black Soul Stone) it was time to make his move. He took possession of the BSS and began his culling of Sanctuary...

My predictions for RoS' story:

I believe Malthael wants to restore what he considers to be balance. The Eternal Conflict is that balance for him. The children of Anu and the children of Tethemet locked in an eternal struggle. Good vs. Evil with no one side gaining an advantage. Mortals threaten this, especially with the Prime Evils incapacitated, and the fate of everything he knows is in jeopardy. I believe he will seek to destroy the BSS or at least release the Prime Evils in some way or another. This, in combination with destroying mankind, will reinstate balance and set things back to the way they were. I believe he has taken on the aspect of death to facilitate this. I believe the Angiris Council, or at the very least Imperius, will get involved in some way to prevent Malthael from releasing the Prime Evils.

At the very least it is clear he wants to destroy humanity. Perhaps he will seek to contain the Prime Evils in the BSS and the reason he took it was to be sure nobody else gained control of it? At any rate I think the fact that El'Druin passed through him without harm proves his intentions are not evil in nature. I think he's all about balance and I'm not sure how one side prevailing in the Eternal Conflict could be considered balance which is why I think he may release the Evils. We'll find out next year!
A solid prediction, though I still hope Diablo absorbs Malthael into the stone (within said stone's abilities, according to Kulle) and we get the uber Diablo fight we should have had in base D3, instead of the disappointing final boss we got instead.
Rev up those theories!

09/28/2013 02:18 PMPosted by Zaknaril
It's my theory that Malthael regained all of his powers as aspect of wisdom when the World Stone was altered at the end of the Sin War.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean to say that he regained his composure when it was revealed that the Worldstone was still existent? Please explain.

09/28/2013 02:18 PMPosted by Zaknaril
surely Malthael knew the prophecy of the End of Days and furthermore he probably knew better than most what it meant. Does that mean knew how how the events of Diablo 3 would unfold before they happened? There's no way to know for sure.
Besides the interesting paradox this creates, do consider that his foresight is likely extremely limited if at all when humanity is part of the equation, similar to Ithereal's limitations.
This story reminds me of Darksiders.
After ROC the PC as most powerful Nephalem, (as stated in the Crusader video) becomes Death, the first rider of the apocalypse, and will carry out the extermination of his/her race.
09/29/2013 12:27 AMPosted by Chris
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean to say that he regained his composure when it was revealed that the Worldstone was still existent? Please explain.

Well we know that Malthael was unable to find the rebels due to power of the Worldstone. So his powers, at least in part, were ineffective. Hence his "darkening". I'm guessing when the Worldstone was altered he was back at 100% and was able to see everything once again.

When reading about his abilities as the aspect of wisdom, specifically the use of Calad'ar, it makes me wonder if he doesn't have some kind of precognition.

09/29/2013 12:27 AMPosted by Chris
Besides the interesting paradox this creates, do consider that his foresight is likely extremely limited if at all when humanity is part of the equation, similar to Ithereal's limitations.

Yes his foresight would be limited as it relates to humanity but the Nephalem didn't impact those events that much when you really think about it. He more or less did the dirty work of Adria and Diablo. I think Malthael saw the whole thing and waited for the precise time to strike...
Pretty much what I think too. I didn't see you post but I pretty much made a copy past of your post :p

Also, to support your idea, in Diablo's universe, Death represent balance (necromancer serving Trag'Oul who try to keep the balance)
so by being the Archangel of Death, he pretty much became "The Archangel of Balance".

Also, I think the pact they made to not interfer with humanity is what stopped him all this time OR, perhaps, the fact that the WS destruction was so far in the futur that at this point it was just a probability. Not even a real possiblity. I like your interpretation of his nul vote. Personnally, I interpreted that as "if the WS keep weakening them, they'll never threaten the balance". I think this is why he just didn't care. Like if someone asks you "There's a small ants colony in the forest by your house, do you want me to destroy them?" You'd be like ".,,, I don't care.... do whatever you want".
Now we're a bunch of Ultralisks :P
AFAIK, Trag'Oul is the only being that seeks to preserve balance. Angels and Demons seek to destroy one another so that there's only light or dark in the entire universe. I doubt Malthael is trying to restore "balance" because after all, the ultimate goal of the Angiris Council is to win the Eternal Conflict by convincingly defeating Evil once and for all. If anything, I'm betting he sees the BSS as a convenient object that is holding the 7 Evils together that he can destroy in one go to end the Eternal Conflict.
Also, since he did not care about killing or leaving the Nephalem/Humans many years ago during the voting to decide Sanctuary's fate, he's probably viewing Humans as disposables; so if he needs to annihilate humanity to end the Eternal Conflict, he'll happily do so.
I predict (Based on the Crusaders end story) that Tyreal will end up becoming corrupted since he's now human and gets human influence. This also falls into line of Blizzards 'twist' strategy of taking a 'good' character and turning them bad. See Arthas, Illidan, Garrosh, Grom, Kerrigan, The Wanderer, and so on.
How about this... since the BSS can contain the powers of both Angels and the Demon Lords whose to say that the Nephalem dont figure this out and trap both the Angiris Council and the 7 Lords of Hell within it? I say if the two sides want an eternal conflict let them duke out in the BSS, nephalem would then be free to choose their own path without the medeling of either side. I assume that destroying the BSS doesn't acutally destory what is contained within. Just like the destruction of the soulstones just sent the souls to the black abyss to regenerate. Tyrael would escape this fate as he is now mortal. Tyrael might be the one that discovers the only way to balance the BSS is to trap the council within it as well.
I like the cut of Malthael's jib. Tyrael on the other hand has a rather poorly cut jib. I hope Mallie disembowels him.