Spell of the Day: Energy Twister

General Discussion
A friend of mine started a trend of threads like this back in the BC days of WoW, and I thought it would be a fun way to give developers some feedback in a more directed fashion. Given that every class in the game sorely needs build variety, I think between now and the new year we should be able to cover quite a bit :P

Post likes, dislikes, feedback, wishes for changes, fun builds to use it in; anything to do with the spell!

The website reads: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/energy-twister

Energy Twister
Force
Cost: 35 Arcane Power
Unleash a twister of pure energy that deals 360% weapon damage as Arcane over 6 seconds to everything in its path.

I think it looks fairly cool and the concept is fun, but frankly every rune except Wicked Wind (which is pretty much propped up by the current cm build) doesn't deliver enough bang for the buck. Given the chaotic nature of the spell, I think a substantial buff for all runes except ww is in order.

It would be nice if the runes changed the colors or something too, like so many other abilities.
Agreed, the spell is disgustingly powerful because of its ability to Proc CM, but truly terrible in all other aspects. 60% weapon damage per second for a spell with such a small area of effect and such a randomized movement path makes it basically unusable as a primary damage spell.

I especially thought that Raging Storm would be an interesting rune, but the second larger tornado is really just not worth the arcane cost. I would think burning 70 AP for a spell would do something a little more impressive.
I added crystal shell for damage reduction and meteor shower to my build. CM freeze / twisters by itself is OK damage but larger AoE with meteor shower, getting distant monsters to come to me and added damage / procing ApoC is great. Alternate using molten impact is good for small groups.
A friend of mine started a trend of threads like this back in the BC days of WoW, and I thought it would be a fun way to give developers some feedback in a more directed fashion. Given that every class in the game sorely needs build variety, I think between now and the new year we should be able to cover quite a bit :P

Post likes, dislikes, feedback, wishes for changes, fun builds to use it in; anything to do with the spell!

The website reads: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/energy-twister

Energy Twister
Force
Unleash a twister of pure energy that deals 360% weapon damage as Arcane over 6 seconds to everything in its path.

I think it looks fairly cool and the concept is fun, but frankly every rune except Wicked Wind (which is pretty much propped up by the current cm build) doesn't deliver enough bang for the buck. Given the chaotic nature of the spell, I think a substantial buff for all runes except ww is in order.

It would be nice if the runes changed the colors or something too, like so many other abilities.
We always appreciate feedback! What sorts of changes or Runes would you like to see for Energy Twister?
Please make a rune or change the base spell cast to make Energy Twister move in a straight line to bulldoze monsters out of the way and deal the current amount of damage to make it a better spell that is more in control of the player, and more directed, as you would expect from a Wizard class, while having some randomness that comes with the "bulldoze" effect.

My 2 cents.

I tried using this once (for about 1 act), then found that it is too inconsistent to be useful at any level...
10/11/2013 03:11 PMPosted by Diablerie
scrap it altogether. if a full blown Wiz can't even throw a simple fireball, then the problem is much bigger tha CM and Energy Twister runes.

Zoltan Kule seems to have no problem throwing a simple fire ball. Just Sayin'
twisters that pull enemies into their path might be a nice rune. I can imagine a combo where you suck enemies into a line then disintegrate.

The website reads: [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/energy-twister"]http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/energy-twister[/url]

Energy Twister
Force

We always appreciate feedback! What sorts of changes or Runes would you like to see for Energy Twister?

I think one big change for energy twister would be if it had a HOMING property to it. Basically cast it and it will home in on the player's selected target and follow it.
a neat idea would be to give for example storm chaser the ability to zap enemies

also cool

the rune with the tornadoes that collide, when two collide they make a bigger that has some little vortex ability, when two bigger collide they make a hurricane giving him a vortex, shaking some enemies through and spitting them out in some direction (like knockback)

my 2 cents.

Everything needs more damage. I think the radius is fine because wizards have plenty of other spells to choose from if they want damage over a large space (though again not all of those are good :P ).

I don't really care for mistral breeze. More of them just isn't really what I want; I want a large one or two or three that hit pretty hard. Plus if I really want a lot I can just make sure I have lots of crit and apoc. Perhaps we could somehow get tons of little ones? What about a channeled spell that does cold damage? What about a twister that sucks things in?

Gale force is fine, but it needs more cowbell. Perhaps it could suck things in too, or blow them around?

Raging storm needs to give us the possibility of actually creating a giant, raging storm. I'm not sure about the best way to do that, but it really doesn't live up to its name at all.

I like the concept of storm chaser but it's fairly underwhelming, especially considering the nature of wizard signature spells. It seems fun to build up charges and then unleash them, but again I just feel underwhelmed.
Change Stormchaser rune to act more as the skill Hurricane did for druid in d2. Have it 's range affected by pickup radius . It would also be cool if the vortex was able to pickup debris from barrels and stuff you break and be used as projectiles that deal a small amount of damage when striking a monster.
I would just like a twister i could drop on the heads of the mobs, It would then suck them up spin them around like in a centrifuge where body parts would fly off and hit other mobs doing x amount of damage...
Great thread!

Knockback/pull in effects would be awesome. Giving it some fun utility would be nice and tie into it's concept.

Personally, my biggest issue is that I just don't enjoy random path abilities. If it did enough damage to make up for it's randomness, that'd be okay, I guess.

But it's like, do I cast Arcane Orb that I know will go where I want to twice or do I take a chance with this Tornado that MIGHT hit the enemies, but probably not.

10/11/2013 03:13 PMPosted by Kaniran
I would think burning 70 AP for a spell would do something a little more impressive.

Very much agree.

The website reads: [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/energy-twister"]http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/energy-twister[/url]

Energy Twister
Force

whats going on with PvP and why are all the community managers rerfusing to discuss the topic or reply to PvP related threads?
Suggestions for runes:

Hurricane: A storm grows around you doing 200% weapon damage in a 30? yard radius over 5 seconds.

Dust Devil: Send out 5 miniature tornadoes per cast which move in a random path away from the caster, doing 40% weapon damage per second when they strike an enemy. (with a fast cast rate and high apoc, you could fill the screen with tiny tornadoes doing damage).
Do not play a wiz much, but I'll offer a possible idea:

If it cannot do this already, a rune that allows the twister to surround and follow EITHER the caster or another player. Doesn't have to give extra buffs or anything, but could be a cool idea if running with a melee class in group.
10/11/2013 04:49 PMPosted by donk
twisters that pull enemies into their path might be a nice rune. I can imagine a combo where you suck enemies into a line then disintegrate.

This is AWESOME