What got you into COMPUTER/PC "Gaming"?

Games & Technology
Me - I was always a Nintendo (Dragon Warrior)/Sega (Sword of Vermilion) freak, but one day my buddy told me about this online semi real-persistant game that had this huge world and dungeons and quests and monsters and magic and on...and on...and on...and living humans were controlling other guys and playing with you. WOW!

Well - this game was Ultima Online. Game came out in September 1997, I sat in my buddies basement playing that game on his spare PC, chopping wood just outside of VESPER...and then finally - I got my first PC in October of 1997 (custom built, and still do to this day) and the rest was history.

Even left my career as a Firefighter to join the IT business...in 1998. Still doing IT to this day :)

started PC gaming with duke nukem and blood. Blood...was so badass...in '91
Working at Egghead Software. Does that date me?
blood and half-life
I can't remember exactly which game i first bought for PC, but I've been a gamer since i was in high school back in the early 70's.

My recollection of really getting into PC gaming came with Duke Nukem 3D and Interstate 76. Then my brother bought a Windows machine and Diablo 1. And that was all she wrote. Played D1 incessantly. Then D2 and D2LLoD came out and it only got me in deeper.

Then in early 2001, I was in Walmart and was bored out of my mind and saw this game that advertised a persistent world with three realms and RvR combat. So, I picked it up installed it, quit, started again, quit again and started it again and was hooked.

Dark Age of Camelot. I still play it. Just like I still play D2:LoD. In my opinion, two of the greatest PC games ever made.

Edit: Lest I forget: Hexen, Doom, Doom2, Quake, Quake2, etc etc
10/17/2013 03:16 PMPosted by GenghisKhan
Working at Egghead Software. Does that date me?

Found this at GoodWill just a few months ago, GenghisKhan (one of my buddies most favorite NES GAMES, too "GenghisKhan").

Wow, just realized that www.egghead.com re-routes to Amazon.com. Nice :)
10/17/2013 03:17 PMPosted by Vendikar
Dark Age of Camelot

From what I hear, that's one of the greatest games ever. I think WOW borrowed a large number of gaming mechanics from DAOC.
10/17/2013 03:21 PMPosted by Onafets
Dark Age of Camelot

From what I hear, that's one of the greatest games ever. I think WOW borrowed a large number of gaming mechanics from DAOC.

the only reason wow trumped daoc is because of the lore. every warcraft nut on the planet bought wow when it first came out.
Counterstrike was my first PC game. Prior to that it was just consoles. When I moved to PC gaming I felt like I had "graduated" to a much more advanced and feature-rich gaming platform.

Then I played D2. Oh man was that some game. Then I got involved in clanning BF1942, and moved on to SWG when it came out. And I'll say, coming from D2 to SWG was quite the paradigm shift. It was there where I learned the joys of crafting, but alas the game didn't have much end-game combat content, and it died. I still believe to this day that we have yet to see the best mmo. It's the hybrid which is the future, and no devs are willing to take the risk to develop a game that includes both a great player economy and an awesome combat-oriented endgame (pve and pvp).

Then of course I moved to WoW like most everyone else, and while it was a wonderfully awesome game to play; it was hugely lacking in anything outside of raiding. Since then, I've been on a famine of sorts for decent games to play. D3 is just the icing on the cake representing the direction the gaming industry has taken to attract the lowest common denominator playerbase.

I miss the days when PC games felt so much more advanced and feature-rich than console games. It's not that the PC isn't more advanced and feature-rich, but more that devs refuse to develop such games anymore.

Good games and developers tend to rip each other off constantly. WoW ripped off some DAoC elements. DAoC ripped off some EQ stuff who ripped off Ultima Online who ripped off MUDs who ripped off J.R.R.Tolkien.

Unfortunately, Mythic Entertainment shot themselves in the financial foot by releasing Trials of Atlantis (a horrible expansion) right about at the same time Blizzard released WoW.

In like 1995 or something, before Boardband Internet was available and we had to go "LAN shops" that charge 4 dollars per hour.
F15 strike eagle by Microprose, that came on a 5 1/4 floppy.
Some golf game in the mid 80's. I spent hours pounding away on the keyboard.

Bought my first computer in '93 and never looked back.
World of Warcraft :)
Tomb Raider. The first one from '96. It was the first game I bought with my own money I had earned from an actual job (read: not allowances from parents).

Though I bought a few PC exclusives, I was still largely a console gamer with the Playstation rocking an amazing library and the PS2 following suit. I didn't become a primarily PC gamer until later on in the PS2 era. In other words, World of Warcraft >.<
Started off gaming on the PC with Age of Empires, and never looked back.
First PC game I ever bought with my own money was Star Wars X-Wing. I played a few games before that (Commodore 64, early DOS games), but it was X-Wing (and later Tie Fighter) that solidified video games as my primary hobby.

I came to Blizzard with StarCraft, and have bought every game they've put out since. Sadly, I've never played Warcraft 1 / 2 or Diablo 1...
Well my commodore 64 introduced me to computer gaming. I then played consoles until playing Quake 1 and loved the hell out of it.