Building interiors and exteriors don't match

General Discussion
I noticed it most in new Tristram, but being inside of a building is noticeably different than the outside of it.

I can understand artistic license for size, having the interior bigger than the outside of the building would suggest, but they aren't even the same shape.

For example. the inn in New tristam has one window on the right and a rounded portion on the left with several windows in it. When you get inside the inn, there are three windows on the right, and the rounded portion is nowhere to be seen, it's simply 4 square walls.

Deckard Cain's house isn't much better, the interior seems to be completely mirrored.

Seems odd that they designed the building artwork and actual 3d copy separately.
Maby its a magic house
10/23/2013 12:18 AMPosted by Couter
I can understand artistic license for size, having the interior bigger than the outside of the building would suggest, but they aren't even the same shape.

Just hit up Dave Adams, our Lead Level Designer about this (because hey, why not?). Here's what he had to say:

We decided a long time ago not to worry about completely matching up interiors and exteriors because of the gameplay and scale issues. We just wanted to make interiors that felt cool. So, we built a set of components that allowed artists to construct walls, floors, etc, and you just put them together to make interesting layouts. Interiors often have an entryway area that should be free of monsters so that you can assess the situation before an attack. The outside does not have anything that resembles that. As a result, some of these places are like one-room-shack looking things on the outside, but when you go inside there are three or four rooms.

Interestingly, our early attempts to avoid those scenarios were called “cellars”. We thought, well, if you just went down through a storm cellar type opening then you really did not have to worry about the exterior façade and the fact that it did not match up at all. Old Tristram has lots of these. We later decided we were way overthinking it and that creating what was best for gameplay outweighed the notion of matching up the interiors and exteriors.

So there you have it! (Alternative answer: a wizard did it.)
I didn't really take a look at what matches and what not, but i have to say....
Alice in Wonderland effect !
10/23/2013 06:44 PMPosted by Lylirra

Is this the same reason monks are better and stronger when you carry swords, axes and maces and not their primary fist weapon but their natural hands to fight?

I think monk need a item-skill requirement like demon hunter...
witch doctor need a mojo to summon...
wizard are better with 2 orbs because main hand weapon is NEVER used

imo the barb is the most well designed, feels that the team took the most time tuning it to perfection and the other class are just added when the project was running out of time and budget... Just saying

edit: typo
when blues decide that this is the kind of post that deserves an answer over all the others that really do need answers, i kinda feel like someone just gave me the finger.
10/23/2013 07:03 PMPosted by Seraphim
when blues decide that this is the kind of post that deserves an answer over all the others that really do need answers, i kinda feel like someone just gave me the finger.

Wah, wah, wah... No one gave you the finger. It's not about you.
If there were concrete answers to give they would give them.

Blizzcon is coming and you'll get your answers (or not) if they have them at that time.

Patience is a virtue, blah, blah, blah, etc...

TL:DR "Good grief Charlie Brown."

I'm sure the 7 elites you've killed feel the same way.

Curious. My thinking was just the opposite. This was a legitimate question, and Blizzard provided a nice response. I think that's great.

We respond to topics we possess answers for (or in discussions that help promote the community). We unfortunately don't have answers for every topic, which means some threads aren't going to receive a response--at least not yet. Similarly, not all topics need a response from us if other players have already answered.

This topic I had an answer for, so I responded. Like a boss.
10/23/2013 07:26 PMPosted by Lylirra

how about being a boss on more interesting topics then?
cmon i know you want to!
10/23/2013 07:17 PMPosted by StCamber

You know that he has an european profile, right?
10/23/2013 07:17 PMPosted by StCamber

123.684 acctually
10/23/2013 07:41 PMPosted by bearr

You know that he has an european profile, right?

Then maybe he should whine on the European forums?
(Alternative answer: a wizard did it.)

even better: just a game? :)
I really don't get the point of this, good answer from blue though...
10/23/2013 11:33 PMPosted by StCamber
Then maybe he should whine on the European forums?

European forums get like 3 posts a day and no one reads them.

Quite dead.

+1

Just hit up Dave Adams, our Lead Level Designer about this (because hey, why not?). Here's what he had to say:

We decided a long time ago not to worry about completely matching up interiors and exteriors because of the gameplay and scale issues. We just wanted to make interiors that felt cool. So, we built a set of components that allowed artists to construct walls, floors, etc, and you just put them together to make interesting layouts. Interiors often have an entryway area that should be free of monsters so that you can assess the situation before an attack. The outside does not have anything that resembles that. As a result, some of these places are like one-room-shack looking things on the outside, but when you go inside there are three or four rooms.

Interestingly, our early attempts to avoid those scenarios were called “cellars”. We thought, well, if you just went down through a storm cellar type opening then you really did not have to worry about the exterior façade and the fact that it did not match up at all. Old Tristram has lots of these. We later decided we were way overthinking it and that creating what was best for gameplay outweighed the notion of matching up the interiors and exteriors.

figured that'd be the case. Not all games have the luxury (or even necessity) to make the interior 100% match the Exterior. Heck if you look at WoW and you made Naxxramas to scale, it would take up half of dragonblite. While it's cool in theory, in practice it's a massive eye sore.

10/23/2013 07:26 PMPosted by Lylirra

We respond to topics we possess answers for (or in discussions that help promote the community). We unfortunately don't have answers for every topic, which means some threads aren't going to receive a response--at least not yet. Similarly, not all topics need a response from us if other players have already answered.

+1