I suck as a WD

Witch Doctor
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
I did begin my WD journey with speed doc, it was super fun. Then moved onto ZBears which was fun as hell too. CoB was fun for awhile, but nah, it got boring as hell. Similar to CM Wiz.

All subjective, of course. :)
I made a new post that's relevant to this (OK I made the video because of this thread). I made a new thread so my helpful post wouldn't get buried!

There is a video!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10311851628#1
witch doctor is fun to play. and if geared properly, they can be very very very tanky.

My witch doctor was able face tank pretty much everything, except blazing guardians due to their endogenous resistance to firebats.

CoB require higher mitigation to start with, but once you are their they kill the fastest against all elites.

Bring life link dog as well as a double crit litany ring increase your EHP enormously.
Hmmmm... I do like the idea of replacing the unity ring with a litany ring - those are usually quite good for EHP. And I've been told that replacing the pants wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I only have about 150M to work with and so just focusing on those two slots for now might be the best way to go for now. Ugh, so it's back to the AH I go. *sigh*

I'm not sure about using a 1H + mojo - it might make some sense but I'm also kinda broke right now so I'm not ready to spluge on new weapons either.
Hmmmm... I do like the idea of replacing the unity ring with a litany ring - those are usually quite good for EHP. And I've been told that replacing the pants wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I only have about 150M to work with and so just focusing on those two slots for now might be the best way to go for now. Ugh, so it's back to the AH I go. *sigh*

I'm not sure about using a 1H + mojo - it might make some sense but I'm also kinda broke right now so I'm not ready to spluge on new weapons either.

So when you give back my gear I get the new parts too? LOL

j/k :)

Have fun!!!

I still think we can do a bit of streaming for a bit of fun and how I play.
I'm a WD noob but learned to do OK ;)
10/23/2013 10:35 AMPosted by KimSulki84
I did begin my WD journey with speed doc, it was super fun. Then moved onto ZBears which was fun as hell too. CoB was fun for awhile, but nah, it got boring as hell. Similar to CM Wiz.

Wait, are you saying that all these classes are boring. And that monks are the best class ever?!

So when you give back my gear I get the new parts too? LOL

j/k :)

Have fun!!!

I still think we can do a bit of streaming for a bit of fun and how I play.
I'm a WD noob but learned to do OK ;)

Haha. If you want. Although I'm so poor right now that the replacement parts are might end up sucking too. Ugh. I'm hoping that I'll get a semi-decent drop in the coming weeks to fund the purchase of a new skorn or 1h + mojo combo... whichever is cheaper. But for right now, I think I'll be poor for quite a while. May need to use my monk to do some loot farming too.
10/23/2013 11:38 AMPosted by Nameless
do some loot farming

this made me LAWL
10/23/2013 11:47 AMPosted by KamelJabber
do some loot farming

this made me LAWL

I know. I chuckled when I wrote that too. I haven't gotten a decent drop in a couple of months now. I think I've only had maybe 3-4 sellable drops in the past 3 months or play. But dammit, I'm not going to turn to RMAH either. *sigh*
@nameless

1. Ditch the BT pants for rares with 80int 190vit 70AR 2 sockets (and armor if there is a good deal). Try and get more int and vit if your budget allows

2. Get a CHD litany ring. One with like 30 CHD shouldn't be too expensive

3. Try and get an armor roll on Zuni chest. Might have to lower vit and int rolls though

4. Also, your skorn looks a bit weak, especially in the CHD department! Check the AH for a decent upgrade for the price!

Try these things out and see how your WD works then. I'd start with pants and ring and see if a chest is possible.
@nameless

1. Ditch the BT pants for rares with 80int 190vit 70AR 2 sockets (and armor if there is a good deal). Try and get more int and vit if your budget allows

2. Get a CHD litany ring. One with like 30 CHD shouldn't be too expensive

3. Try and get an armor roll on Zuni chest. Might have to lower vit and int rolls though

4. Also, your skorn looks a bit weak, especially in the CHD department! Check the AH for a decent upgrade for the price!

Try these things out and see how your WD works then. I'd start with pants and ring and see if a chest is possible.

Thanks. I'm already aware of #1, #2, and #4. Those were my top 3 priorities too -- in that order. As for the zuni chest... I can see where you are coming from. I might also consider going with phys res instead as well, i'll see where the market is for those items. As I stated earlier, I only have 150M to work with, so it's going to be tough slogging to find decent items to upgrade.

I'm glad to know that I'm on the right track. I just need to find a way to raise some funds to purchase items. Back to the grind!
Cheapest 30CHD litany is 3.5m

pants with 332 armor, 92 str 130 int 67 AR 208 vit and 2OS are 15mil

136 int, 211 vit, 751 armor 76 AR zuni chest is 38m

These are all well within your budget, and you even have room to roll better stats on em if you can.

I also got a 1283 dps 174 CD 291int 5.6 LS skorn the other day for 8mil (for my bro) which might be an upgrade or sidegrade.

There's a 1337.7 with 175 CHD 297 int and 5.2 LS for 50m (that's just 22 CHD less than mine and more dps!). So I think you could potentially upgrade all 4 items within your budget and get way more EHP and make up for the damage with a new skorn :D
10/23/2013 01:45 PMPosted by Amiar
So I think you could potentially upgrade all 4 items within your budget and get way more EHP and make up for the damage with a new skorn :D

That is awesome news indeed! I will definitely look into this when I get home - I haven't never really trolled AH for WD gear, so this will be an interesting exercise. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever really looked for int items on AH. Substituting Int for Dex in my searches is going to be weird and part of me is going to feel like

10/23/2013 07:55 AMPosted by BladeMaster
But it felt like I was cheating on my monk.

I hope I'll get over that soon. :P
Nameless, I don't know how to tell you this without it hurting, so I'm just going to come out and say it ...

... it's not just on the WD, bro.

;D
10/23/2013 01:57 PMPosted by Piffle
so I'm just going to come out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj3VphK9AMk
watch out for your HP too, replacing the pants you'll lose vit + %life. That's alot of HP to make up, unless you can find a rare pants with same amount of vit then swap out your red gem in your helm for a purple one.
I would second the purple gem. I rolled with one from 0-100 on my WD
Lots of good advice above. The rule of thumb for WDs in MP10 is 4K armor/700 resist all/60k life

Also, if you can swing it (need more EHP first), equipping a SoJ while getting stacks is very beneficial. I switch to a rare ring for FoM since it adds 31k DPS vs. non-elites and a nice chunk of EHP too. You can make a really nice WD for so little it is amazing. Current prices are making it harder at the high end, but compared to a monk it's not even close.
I have gear borrowed from our resident troll KJ, and I even got some tutelage from good ol' scrapz on how to play this blasted character. Whether I'm playing MP5 or MP7, it doesn't matter. I die, and I die often. I know I don't have enough EHP -- but somehow, I don't think that's the issue if my deaths are not as a result of ground effects, elites, or charging bulls. No, it's when I'm surrounded by whites or something.

I don't have SW to keep my health near max, don't have that 30% damage mitigation bonus, and certainly don't have much of an oh sh!t key (like serenity or DS). Nor do I have bells to get my health back.

It's like I'm having an out-of-body experience - the heart and soul of a monk trying to play WD. I suck.

wait till you find out ghost bomb is a waste haha, its probably just getting used to the kill speed. replace GB with zombie bears and cast them on trash, or use acid cloud (great if you have LoH). watch enemies die in your pickupradius (2-3 slots is much more comfortable) and get used to how fast spirit walk cools down. you have such low HP you'll have to blast them quickly and keep SW up. use horrify frightening aspect before you hit mobs for double armor :D

i have comparable stats on my doc (with skorn hes about 20k higher dps, 15k less hp) and as you can see, ive havent died once on mp7+ (in a very long time at least :P)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Isolation-1274/hero/35659759
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Isolation-1274/hero/31066779
key skills:

Grave Justice Passive - To reduce cd on spirit walk; mass confusion; voodoo
Locust Swarm with Devouring Swarm - To get unlimited mana while using COB

Basically you just spread locust (blue) to as many mobs as possible while gathering them, once you feel you have a good enough group you can either:

1. wait for them to approach you
2. spirit walk into them use COB & use spirit walk when necessary as well as other skills to crowd control
2. spirit walk into them use COB & use spirit walk when necessary as well as other skills to crowd control

In reading through this thread, I determined that this is the key step that I was missing in terms of not dying in the first 1-2 seconds of CoB ramp up.

Can someone also tell me which skills can be spammed during CoB channelling that won't interrupt it? I think Hex & Mass Confusion are two of them... anything else?