Damage output question

Wizard
Gotta mind the noob question, still learning about the Wizard. With equal level of gear, which one overall deals more damage - SNS or Archon?
If your definition of equal level of gear means the same set for both, then I would guess SNS.

But keep in mind that Archon wizards have way more flexibility than SNS when it comes to what MUST be present. Jaetch has always told me, "just get as much of everything as you can."

An Archon wizard who followed that formula would not necessarily do so hot as SNS spec.
SNS has a higher multiplier. Archon displays higher sheet DPS, but has a lower multiplier.

This means a SNS wizard with 300K sheet DPS will out-DPS any Archon with the same 300K sheet DPS.

Multipliers vary from player to player depending on how they play and also their stats. I think I can say most SNS wizards can reach 6-7x+ multis while Archon can generally run 3-5x at most after all general buffs are factored in. A 500K+ DPS Archon can dish out anywhere from 1.5-2.5M DPS per second while a 250K+ DPS SNS wizard can be right there in the running.

SNS is easy to gear for high farming efficiency/effectiveness if you know how to build around certain items and stats. Archon is easy to gear in general since you don't have to pay attention to any one particular stat (e.g. APoC), but it gets stupid expensive at high levels. While SNS can make do with any DPS level as long as the player's freeze strength is sufficient to keep mobs locked down, an Archon wizard with insufficient DPS will not be able to keep Archon up and running, which defeats the whole purpose of the build.

Just like it's ridiculously difficult to get a functional SNS wizard to 400K unbuffed DPS, it's ridiculously difficult to get a functional Archon wizard to 500K unbuffed DPS. Both builds are still relatively equal in terms of eDPS at those levels, and you can scale both sides down to compare which one can theoretically do more total damage.

I would say SNS is easier to get the best results while Archon is easier to gear and play.
Twitter: @Jaetch
If you were too add up every point of damage you deal to every enemy you kill, archon (in situations where it is kept up constantly or close to it) would probably have a slight edge over SNS because of its massive AOE, range, piercing. But on MP10, at the same gear level SNS will certainly output more DPS because archon will drop out from time to time unless you are decked out like a Jaetch with a PeterBiz taped to his mempo. That's my rough estimation. They are both awesome builds. Archon is currently designed to work best when you are killing the greatest number of mobs/minute as possible. As a result, it's usually easier to just drop down an MP or stay at the current MP that you are farming rather than increase your budget by 3x, 5x, 20x to be able to hammer those top couple MPs.
Well, my main goal is to partake in MP10 Crypt runs to try to deck out some Paragon levels before the expansion hits.

I'm pretty adaptable in terms of play style. Went from DH -> WW Barb -> Rend/HotA Barb -> CoB WD. I can essentially have fun with any build.

When I finish the WD, I will for sure start a Wiz.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Acky-1783/hero/37179821

Try to use as much of this gear as I can.

About how much from here would it run me to gear either Archon or SNS for MP10 Crypts?
How many more times are you going to ask that question? I've answered you twice, silverfire once, and I saw a topic on the EU forums too, with responses.
11/01/2013 02:03 PMPosted by mzy
How many more times are you going to ask that question? I've answered you twice, silverfire once, and I saw a topic on the EU forums too, with responses.

Well. I'm this close to making an expansion video to my Archon guide to spoon feed gearing information.

Such as the following:

You have 10M gold. Here's what you should get. This is your MP level. End of story.

You have 50M gold. Here's what you should get. This is your MP level. End of story.

You have 100M gold. Here's what you should get. This is your MP level. End of story.

You have 500M gold. Here's what you should get. This is your MP level. End of story.

You have 1 billion gold. Here's what you should get. This is your MP level. End of story.

Now in order to do this, I will need to take donations because I don't have more than 2 billion gold at hand at any given time right now :P

Because it seems like my Archon guide completely solved the issues of 50%* of budding Archon users and overwhelmed or confused the crap out of the other 50%**.

*Solved until new issues arise
**Does not include people who are too lazy to watch
Twitter: @Jaetch
Jaetch
You have xM gold. Here's what you should get. This is your MP level. End of story.

I dislike giving enough information to people that they can just shut off their brain. :(

Jaetch
Now in order to do this, I will need to take donations because I don't have more than 2 billion gold at hand at any given time right now :P

Worst case scenario? Just make the gear on D3up.