New Ranged Build - Multi-BolaGasm, w/vids

Demon Hunter
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
I'll check VIDS later, but I don't know how anybody plays 'ranged' in MP10 unless you're 600k unbuffed frankly... you simply cannot kill fast enough the HUGE mobs unless you kite literally every 2-3 seconds :/ TANK is where we always end up >.< I've seen several other DH videos and they're all the same

I'm assuming you're new to this forum and not too familiar with the class as a whole outside the norm.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9792720247#1
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569108872
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm6ujPwtA0I

There's a ton more stuff, but this should about cover it.
11/12/2013 01:39 PMPosted by REAPER666
Freeze wiz actually deactivates Cotw as well

hmmm.... I did not know this, Thanks for this info bud

I guess that's what I get for being away from DH so long :P

Ya, kinda sucks if you ask me. Buriza and Azurewrath causes the same issue, so they can't be completely relied upon for Cull :(

5 bolas out is the magic number guys. First one explodes when #6 hits, that's the magical break for ID. 2.26 will do in a pinch. 2.50 is pretty good. 2.96 ZOMG!!!!!.

Die, we need to make a vid. Get that Windy I gave you out, I'll pull out my max AS gear.

Depending on how far away I am when loading up bola's, I can actually get 7 bola's stacked before the first starts going off due to travel time at 2.86 breakpoint. It's easier if i stutter step towards the mobs while starting from a distance, but that can be a death sentence if one is not careful :P

I forgot I still had that WF you let me hold in my stash. I should probably vendor it so I can get back it's true value :D
Nicely put @DiEoxidE. I enjoyed this build with my Windforce hunter.. well similar build :D

dat bola ID is great. I was hooked as soon as I started using it. I would float BOL down range as well as multishot. A lot of hatred but great results. The micro management of the attacks only works even more in your favor. I was using prep punishment instead of bat tho. Put that disc to work!

I may return to that playstyle soon. I've been at the Battlefield4 steady and just put D3 on the back burner. Keep up the good work!
Nicely put @DiEoxidE. I enjoyed this build with my Windforce hunter.. well similar build :D

dat bola ID is great. I was hooked as soon as I started using it. I would float BOL down range as well as multishot. A lot of hatred but great results. The micro management of the attacks only works even more in your favor. I was using prep punishment instead of bat tho. Put that disc to work!

I may return to that playstyle soon. I've been at the Battlefield4 steady and just put D3 on the back burner. Keep up the good work!

/Schwarzenegger voice

Get to the chopper and fly to Sanctuary! Do it, do it NOW!!!

/Schwarzenegger voice
This build looks like a lot of fun! I loved your stone cold hunter (play that one a lot.)

Couple newbie questions:
The main purpose of multishot in this build is to apply the CtW bonus and potentially to kill the monster with bolas so they all go off prematurely?

Bear with me :)

If you have 3 APS, you hit with 6 bolas in 2 seconds.
So let's say you hit with the 6 bolas, then just as their are going off, you hit with a broadside. Since broadside doesn't do any more damage then the bola does, is it simply that you hit with an extra 215% damage that may kill the monster early? Sort of like you have one double ID on them front loaded?

I guess I'd be surprised that just one extra hit would make much difference. Something like Grievous Wounds wouldn't work better? I do get that part of your build is the huge snare from Multishot, so perhaps that's why it works out better here.

Other question is the Bat. You don't seem to be firing Multishot THAT much to need it. You obviously need some hatred for the sentries as well but since you are using a primary so much, I would have thought hatred wasn't much of a concern.
This build looks like a lot of fun! I loved your stone cold hunter (play that one a lot.)

Couple newbie questions:
The main purpose of multishot in this build is to apply the CtW bonus and potentially to kill the monster with bolas so they all go off prematurely?

Thanks man. Glad you like. Ya for the most part it works like that, but multishot in most cases even if it crits, won't kill the targets with the wrapped bolas on the first shot.

Bear with me :)

If you have 3 APS, you hit with 6 bolas in 2 seconds.
So let's say you hit with the 6 bolas, then just as their are going off, you hit with a broadside. Since broadside doesn't do any more damage then the bola does, is it simply that you hit with an extra 215% damage that may kill the monster early? Sort of like you have one double ID on them front loaded?

For the most part, yes, you can view it like that :)

I guess I'd be surprised that just one extra hit would make much difference. Something like Grievous Wounds wouldn't work better? I do get that part of your build is the huge snare from Multishot, so perhaps that's why it works out better here.

The reason why multishot is very important here is not the damage output it does (although not bad if using broadside), but the fact that it provides cull for the bola's for ALL mobs in that area. Since multishot also hits everything, it helps whittle down the group of whites HP, effectively reducing the number of bola's that also gets the cull bonus, to clear out that group of trash.

I love impale, and definitely played around with that a bit before settling on Multishot, however I find chemical burn with this spec instead of multi, works really well against Ubers. For general purpose, while you may be able to make stacked bola's explode with a few grievous wounds faster than you can with multi, you have to remember its single target and it's tough as hell to make sure you wrap bola's on just that one target and spam grievous wounds on that same target. When you do get the bola's to detonate with grievous wounds, the detonate damage will pale as the AoE of bola will not get that cull bonus as well as the mobs aren't whittled down in HP, so it's likely that one round of stacked bola's won't clear the area. Multishot does these things extremely well, while providing that huge AoE CC.

Other question is the Bat. You don't seem to be firing Multishot THAT much to need it. You obviously need some hatred for the sentries as well but since you are using a primary so much, I would have thought hatred wasn't much of a concern.

You are correct. I had bat slotted for that "just in case" vs elites if i needed to use it more for CC. I'm still playing around with support skills for ID/Multishot and right now I have I swapped turret for MFD, grim reaper and bat for RoV, Dark Cloud. Dark Cloud provides a bunch of utility as well with life steal snapshotting and constant "cold ticks" Looks like this on a calculator.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#Wj..Rl!Yec!cY..ba
Dieoxide, would this work in for a tank DH if SA is substituted for another passive? I know a good chunk of eDPS is sacrificed from not using SA, but feels to me that it can still work with stacking bola + MS to proc CtW in close-mid range. Am I missing something?
^ bak 2 tank LOL
ok, DiE, I promise to TRY a ranged build and your SS techniques... hell, it'll at least keep me from getting bored :-) thanks man, never saw your SS thread...
11/13/2013 12:50 AMPosted by DethAxe
^ bak 2 tank LOL
I play tank DH by preference, and not because I'm forced by the game. I've seen and know that playing ranged DH is absolutely doable. Just spend a few minutes to watch Dieoxide's videos and watch how he stutter-steps while still output tremendous amount of eDPS.
I'm only asking because I want to get some opinion if a similar build can be applied playing close-mid range and I have near-zero play time these days to test it out myself. The last time I tried Bola-MS it didn't seem to work properly for me, so I'm thinking I was doing it wrongly (and I wasn't using the cold SoJ+MS+CtW synergy either).
11/13/2013 12:20 AMPosted by Oble
Dieoxide, would this work in for a tank DH if SA is substituted for another passive? I know a good chunk of eDPS is sacrificed from not using SA, but feels to me that it can still work with stacking bola + MS to proc CtW in close-mid range. Am I missing something?

I guess you can if you want. The steady aim bonus is a pretty big boost in a setup like this, but it is *possible* to Tank with this. I really wouldn't know exactly how to set this up though, as I've never been a tank DH. Maybe something like this?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WjgRXY!Xce!cYYZZc

Bait the trap for the extra crit chance which helps with night stalker as well as additional cull proc. MFD, valley of death for the additional damage. Vault or SS for escape. Again not sure how well this would work as Tanking is not my area of expertise, but I guess it couldn't hurt to give it a shot (I can't even attempt this with my EHP lol).

I still assume that for a tank, RF bombardment or a grenades/echoing will be the better, more feasible options and won't be beat for that style of play.

*Keep in mind for a ranged DH using this build, we remove the need to have to gather up mobs then plant a major setup of damage, so we gain not only the 20% bonus from being at a distance, but also the time it takes to start fronting damage since we can start our order of attacks as soon as the mobs enter the screen. It's an entirely different approach in general*

If you attempt what's in the calculator as a Tank DH, let me know how it turns out.
11/13/2013 01:05 AMPosted by DethAxe
ok, DiE, I promise to TRY a ranged build and your SS techniques... hell, it'll at least keep me from getting bored :-) thanks man, never saw your SS thread...

Lol, it's cool man. Ranged play isn't nearly as popular as melee and requires a ton more effort, but most that like the engaging game play find it fun. It's not for everyone though, but it never hurts to try :P
I forgot I still had that WF you let me hold in my stash. I should probably vendor it so I can get back it's true value :D
Ha! Cost =/= Value. And it's a whole lot better than the POS you showed me. GL finding an upgrade WF for under 20M.
11/13/2013 02:35 AMPosted by Rav1n
Ha! Cost =/= Value. And it's a whole lot better than the POS you showed me. GL finding an upgrade WF for under 20M.

(>^^)>
DPS is too high to mimic.
Posted by REAPER666
Freeze wiz actually deactivates Cotw as well

hmmm.... I did not know this, Thanks for this info bud

I guess that's what I get for being away from DH so long :P

Ya, kinda sucks if you ask me. Buriza and Azurewrath causes the same issue, so they can't be completely relied upon for Cull :(

Hey sorry, just wanted to hop in on this one.

I've done a ton of testing with Freeze and CtW, as long as the skill that applied the freezing also applies slowing, you will still obtain the CtW bonus. Freezing alone doesn't give the bonus, but it doesn't cancel it either. I'm not sure if Frost Nova cancels the chill effect though, I've never tried that, but I would assume as long as your shot has cold damage you get the bonus.
Love it!
Hmm for a tank build, not sure what exactly would be a good approach.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WYjgeT!ecX!ccYYcb

That's what I've came up with so far, but not happy with it still. Someone should come up with better. In fact, I don't even think multishot works well with a tank.

@DiEoxidE <(^^<)

Have you ever considered taking advantage of party debuffs which slow down monsters for you (i.e. proc cull the weak), and then changing multishot to something else? Like CA -> LfB (may require bat companion)

Examples of stuff that proc cull the weak in parties

Crippling wave (common on ZDS monks)
Mantra of Conviction -> Disheaten (slows monsters within 20 yards)
Barb's w/ cold SoJ (very common)
Time bubble (wizard bubblezzz)
Other demon hunters that use slow attacks

@tastysoup <(^^<)

I've done uber carries w/ a CM wizard and barb before. While the cm wizard was freezing, the barb had the cold SoJ w/ HotA and it did proc cull the weak for me.
so did you guys use teamspeak or skype orrr??? ;)

The vid was good, but I was stunned that Nyan has a voice (>^^)>
Is there a solo vid for this build?
Tanking with MS is would not be effective IMO considering that its AoE is concentrated some distance in front of the DH, and not in close proximity to him. MS deals damage in a cone, thus you want to keep the bulk of enemies forces at a distance thereby making maximum use of the widest arc.

As a bit of an aside, you want to use as much of the cone that is beyond 30 or so yards from the player as possible (i.e. you don't want to engage a pack at the edge of the screen). One of reasons, IMO, why DiE's build feels so smooth, is because the player engages the packs at long range with Bola and by the time they're loaded up with bolas they are at the perfect range for a Full Broadside.