Something wicked this way comes...

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
Guys... look at the timing. Look at when the numbers started leaving the pc D3. Look at when console was announced, look at when loot 2.0 and RoS was announced. Ive been saying this for a long time but its all about money.
It better be worth the wait, cause we been waiting way too long for this patch. smh
LOL blue acts like they write code or something. So busy.. With what, please do tell?

This is kind of a bigger question, as I get the feeling there’s a misinterpretation of what a community manager does. That's okay - it's a job title that sometimes has a different definition at other companies, so it's more than worth explaining. There's a general misconception that our only purpose is to peruse and post on the forums every day, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

My personal primary focus lately has been gathering feedback. That includes a large amount of reading, writing, and compiling information from a variety of sources. Reports have (and continue to be filed) on over to our development team, outlining what you guys have to say. Occasionally, I also attend meetings with development to help clarify and discuss this feedback. In addition, I've been working on a bunch of blogs, both writing them myself and editing others for the rest of my team. Bear in mind these are just some of the tasks I'm currently working on, and it's just a piece of the pie that the Community team tackles. Feedback and blogging also aren't tasks entirely exclusive to me - these responsibilities can shift around based on our expertise and available work load, as we all have different skills we specialize in. Some tasks might be better suited to one of us over another.

Some of the other things we work on, for example, include:
  • Social media work. We plan our strategies, write and schedule the posts, respond and interact with folks on those channels, and gather feedback.
  • Event and project planning. Stuff like the Design a Legendary project is time consuming and requires a lot of logistics. You’ll see some more about this later today. =)
  • Coordinating globally with our other community teams. Everything we do here is also being done all over the world in our other regions. We work together with our international teammates to coordinate blogs, announcements, posts, and feedback, to make sure every voice (in every language) is heard.
  • Asset creation and management. This includes but is not limited to content for social media channels, blogs, and videos.

We're a big happy family over here, and work together on many of our tasks when we can lend assistance. Some things, though, we tackle independently and that can keep us all pretty busy.

Didn't Josh admit during an interview that these were not separate teams? It's the same guys just switching hats.

Even in the context of that interview, this isn't entirely accurate. It's really an issue of semantics, and I see why there's confusion. They are separate teams in terms of platform goals and resources, but they're all part of the greater "Diablo team," as they're both working on the same IP.
Also, can we expect any pc exclusive features in the future?
Exclusive access to the console beta :)

So which team's in charge of designing our forum avatars?
Maybe after we're done beta testing for the console they'll update them.
12/06/2013 07:10 PMPosted by Nevalistis
LOL blue acts like they write code or something. So busy.. With what, please do tell?

This is kind of a bigger question, as I get the feeling there’s a misinterpretation of what a community manager does. That's okay - it's a job title that sometimes has a different definition at other companies, so it's more than worth explaining. There's a general misconception that our only purpose is to peruse and post on the forums every day, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

My personal primary focus lately has been gathering feedback. That includes a large amount of reading, writing, and compiling information from a variety of sources. Reports have (and continue to be filed) on over to our development team, outlining what you guys have to say. Occasionally, I also attend meetings with development to help clarify and discuss this feedback. In addition, I've been working on a bunch of blogs, both writing them myself and editing others for the rest of my team. Bear in mind these are just some of the tasks I'm currently working on, and it's just a piece of the pie that the Community team tackles. Feedback and blogging also aren't tasks entirely exclusive to me - these responsibilities can shift around based on our expertise and available work load, as we all have different skills we specialize in. Some tasks might be better suited to one of us over another.

• Social media work. We plan our strategies, write and schedule the posts, respond and interact with folks on those channels, and gather feedback.
  • Event and project planning. Stuff like the Design a Legendary project is time consuming and requires a lot of logistics. You’ll see some more about this later today. =)
  • Coordinating globally with our other community teams. Everything we do here is also being done all over the world in our other regions. We work together with our international teammates to coordinate blogs, announcements, posts, and feedback, to make sure every voice (in every language) is heard.
  • Asset creation and management. This includes but is not limited to content for social media channels, blogs, and videos.

We're a big happy family over here, and work together on many of our tasks when we can lend assistance. Some things, though, we tackle independently and that can keep us all pretty busy.

Didn't Josh admit during an interview that these were not separate teams? It's the same guys just switching hats.

Even in the context of that interview, this isn't entirely accurate. It's really an issue of semantics, and I see why there's confusion. They are separate teams in terms of platform goals and resources, but they're all part of the greater "Diablo team," as they're both working on the same IP.

Can you please show this post to the devs?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10787818958

Thank you Nev!

Please tell us what features to the lead platform are gonna be?

So basically blues get paid to browse the internet and occasionally write some blogs or w/e :D And ofc tell other people about what they read (aka in its more professional form - provide feedback to the devs). Tough life, but !@#$% gotta do what a ^-*!@ gotta do :D
12/05/2013 07:14 PMPosted by MissCheetah
*cough* Console users are guinea pigs so that they can make a real loot patch for PC. Totally my opinion though.. not based on any facts. It is what I hope for anyway.

It actually feels the other way around, to me. D3 console got better reviews than PC (because it was better). The new game director was lead on the console team. And they already announced RoS for PS4.
Posted by Nevalistis

Social media work. We plan our strategies, write and schedule the posts, respond and interact with folks on those channels, and gather feedback.
Event and project planning. Stuff like the Design a Legendary project is time consuming and requires a lot of logistics. You’ll see some more about this later today. =)
Coordinating globally with our other community teams. Everything we do here is also being done all over the world in our other regions. We work together with our international teammates to coordinate blogs, announcements, posts, and feedback, to make sure every voice (in every language) is heard.
Asset creation and management. This includes but is not limited to content for social media channels, blogs, and videos.

Can you please show this post to the devs?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10787818958

Thank you Nev!

Can you show this post to you boss, is about money, maybe they are interested.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10787649049

Thank you for your time.
Thanks for the insight to your world blue, I for one think you guys are doing a fine job.
primary focus lately has been gathering feedback

I don't mean to sound disrespectful but whenever I see a blue post this I get this vision of a blue, either Lylirra or Vaeflare, dressed like a treasure goblin with a big sack full of feedback on their back, running around and collecting even more feedback with a big grin on their face. :D
But whenever someone provides a feedback that is a tad too radical they just open a blue portal and vanish! POOF! :(

I really need to sleep more, sleep deprivation does wicked things to the human mind..
Here's a question. You speak of developers. Traditionally in a software company, developers write the code and people like product managers decide where the software is going, etc.

In the game world, how much input does the actual coders have into the feature set? Do they get to decide where the game is going, or is that strictly on the feature team?
The general synopsis is that this iteration of Diablo has failed, I hope the community hired roles address our concerns.
12/06/2013 11:14 AMPosted by Nevalistis

PC is our lead platform, and it's got a large package of changes on the way. Developing only a part of those changes as an independent patch would have not only taken away from the whole when it's delivered, but also significantly delayed the release of the pre-expansion patch and the expansion itself.

So are you really saying that releasing loot 2.0 ahead of the planed schedule would have ruined the release of ROS? "taken away from the whole when it is delivered"

I don't get it? Loot has been broken since inception. The Idea that you should be dependent on someone else to find loot for your character is absurd. Fixing this would go a LOOOOONG way to making the game more fun. It is a game after all and should be enjoyable.

The endless grind to find loot that is character appropriate is not fun and has cost you many players. I only returned to the game a month or so ago because of the promise of a new loot system. It cannot arrive soon enough for me.

I care less if the expansion is released a few weeks or months later if loot is fixed sooner. There is no way you can convince me that loot 2.0 can't stand alone as a patch, after all you are releasing it ahead of ROS as an independent patch.

And if it means the AH stays open a few weeks/months so the loot issue can be fixed sooner, I am cool with that. Seriously, you can't expect players to believe that fixing loot and having the AH open will ruin the game.

But what do I know? Nothing! I am just a player who hates the grind, never finds anything that sells well or for lots of cash on the AH and has limited funds to improve gear. You might call me stuck, and frustrated. NO I am not paying Blizzard a dime to buy gold, this defeats the purpose of playing a game where you find loot to improve your character.

Good luck with your expac, I will be one that waits months to see the reports on it before I make a decision about purchasing it.
You are failing to address the Lead platform issue here, we bought the game and made it possible for the console version to exist as we have always been fans of blizzard and the various franchises, but Diablo was just plain ignored over the past decade, and then I have to be honest with you , Jay Wilson gave us a game that really isn't Diablo, D3 was a streamlined Action game with no actual RPG elements and no real character development, everything the Development team sought to achieve ended up backfiring on them in massive ways instead of the limited system encouraging a diverse set of builds all it did was make BIS and Cookie Cutter worse from D2 as we are extremely limited. I am a Blizzard Fan and a Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft fan, but that leads to me be very very upset with poor choices that have been made. Warcraft RTS is ignored completely, while WOW simply was dumbed down in technical aspects to the point I could no longer enjoy the game any longer and Cata/Panda were the final straw of sorts for my tastes. StarCraft is and was amazing, and perfect it remained Starcraft from the first to the second game and was improved greatly upon its forbearer without breaking the feel of the game. As stated before Diablo is just a train wreck with aspects being shoehorned into the next expansion just to band aid the situation rather than completely reengineer the game to where it should have been in the first place, you have the money and the people to do so to make the situation right, but instead you are just taking the easiest way out.

Technically speaking you owe individual players nothing, but you owe the fans everything they want, and by fans I mean the true fans of the series that realize it is an Action RPG with depth, without the fan community that has bought your games since the original warcraft you wouldn't have jobs. To that end I really hope the dev team understands this, and makes a Diablo game rather than what they think it should be.
12/06/2013 11:46 AMPosted by Ireneaus
No, because we lead at getting the shaft.

Geez, so harsh.

PC launched way earlier than the console.

Also, the expansion is coming out sooner for PC. I don't think it even has a date for the console right now.

I'll take the shaft if it means getting to play much sooner.

Keep up the good job blues. You guys are great at taking a lot of heat.

I thought that ps4 was only shipping as RoS and that there wasn't even going to be a classic d3 available for it at all. Is that not correct?
Out of curiosity, if there was no patch or bug fix for the lead platform for the last 6-7 months, what should console players expect when it comes to patches/updates/bug fixes ?