SF's rant about breakpoints

Barbarian
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next
Hi there, I recently switched back to playing my barb (stopped playing it at 1.04) and would like some gearing advice. Based on the thread, I'll make the following changes:

1. Switch Bash to HOTA
2. Get a Mempo for the IAS and crit
3. Get a new EF with 0.24 or 0.25 +attack, preferably with crit dmg and socket
4. Get a new ring with 8-9% IAS to replace my rare ring
5. Aim to meet the 2.5(?) BP with 4 IAS slots 9/9/9/8 or 9/9/8/8 depending on my EF

Admittedly, I'm bad at understanding the breakpoints especially when it comes to using two different weapons (EF + sword in my case). Should I aim to get a new MH (mace?) or is my current MH sufficient to meet the 2.86/2.5 BP with a sword + EF if I get 4 IAS slots 9/9/9/8?

Furthermore, if I aim to get IAS from Mempo, ring, and Lacunis, where would I best add the last IAS slot? I'm not sure if switching out my IK belt for Witching hour would be worth it - especially losing the LS. There are discussions in this thread about using Inna's pants as well for IAS (though not optimal). Or should I take out my IK gloves and get one with IAS or a rare trifecta glove?

I'll have about a 2-3B gold budget to work with - please help me be less of a noob :)
Can't see your gear but it sounds like you got the right idea.

Bash doesn't have to be switched to HotA. WW/rend/OPKS is the most efficient in most scenarios and gives higher damage throughput and mobility than bash does when thrown in there.

FWIW my personal opinion is that sword mainhands are sort of underused...but the problem is similar to the one with axe vs mace. It's hard to get one that hits hard without spending huge bucks. And loss of crit chance is an issue when it comes to rend (and HotA).
12/28/2013 07:38 PMPosted by silverfire

Bash doesn't have to be switched to HotA. WW/rend/OPKS is the most efficient in most scenarios and gives higher damage throughput and mobility than bash does when thrown in there.

FWIW my personal opinion is that sword mainhands are sort of underused...but the problem is similar to the one with axe vs mace. It's hard to get one that hits hard without spending huge bucks. And loss of crit chance is an issue when it comes to rend (and HotA).

SIlver,

Been messing around with DW on my newly built budget type barb for quick paragon leveling. Now dont hate on my build, I suck without a fury generator in the beginning and cant seem to get used to rend as my primary but give me time :)

How does my set up look so far? As far as gearing?

I been liking the sword mainhand because it gives me a big advantage to hit 2.89 APS without too much ais on my gear...... I have LS on my sword to without ais on it, so I think its pretty sweet set up but wanted to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks man!

Baller
I think I activated my D3 char profile so you can see my gear now -- any more detailed advice based on what you can see?
Your gear's gorgeous BALLER. And it's probably the best (if not only) usage of mainhand sword I've seen, not to mention that the sword's damage range is so high that its competitive with most maces.

It's pretty much the same concept as your little bro BigBallers' current setup, except he's using an IAS axe for the same effect. 2.86/2.5 with 4 slots.

You can get rid of frenzy man, I promise. Just take some damage and you're off to the races. With your EHP you won't die easy. You can hit rend to keep yourself alive before hitting BR if it gets dicey. Once you get the hang of it you won't want to go back.

12/28/2013 07:53 PMPosted by Vader
I think I activated my D3 char profile so you can see my gear now -- any more detailed advice based on what you can see?

Nice crafts. You're going to have to make pretty much the adjustments you listed in your last post. Get the 4 slots of IAS. You might want to switch from sword to mace and just go for 2.5/2.5. On your budget it'll probably give better results. Swords need to have really high damage ranges to be well suited for mainhands.
Thanks Silver I appreciate it. I am really liking this combo and barb. I roll around with 4 crafted pieces and 12 MS but it works pretty well! I am able to hit high BP and maintain high EHP and hit power (str/cd), as well as running brawler.

So with the weapons master + brawler I am doing 45% more dmg, which blows your DPS up very nicely.
12/18/2013 11:44 AMPosted by Uber
I completely gave up trying to help people with this in the numerous 'Rate the barb above' threads. I seen one guy.... Billions in gear... Some really nice stuff teeming rugged ect and he was over by something crazy 3 full slots if I remember correctly. Didn't wanna listen, could of went up half a million tdps pretty easy but just wouldn't listen.

I may not be super skilled or super mechanically inclined but I sure as hell can work d3rawr lol.

I'm just gonna stand to the side and flex my smooth 2.86/2.5 split anyone wanna join?

who cares if ppl build differently and arent perfectly optimal.. i clear mp10 ez with all my wack setups pretty damn fast and im sure others do too. "omg im not perfect" big deal none of you would be without ah either (not saying i didnt use ah btw just stating that this game is just a paragon grind until ros so who cares as long as ppl are having fun)
^+1
12/28/2013 07:50 PMPosted by BALLER

SIlver,

Been messing around with DW on my newly built budget type barb for quick paragon leveling. Now dont hate on my build, I suck without a fury generator in the beginning and cant seem to get used to rend as my primary but give me time :)

I been liking the sword mainhand because it gives me a big advantage to hit 2.89 APS without too much ais on my gear...... I have LS on my sword to without ais on it, so I think its pretty sweet set up but wanted to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks man!

Baller

BALLER, if you want to see another set up with MH sword, look at samuiotoko's he's had this setup i think since march or april. even has my old unity =(
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/samuiotoko-1231/hero/7228485
Trying to optimize for breakpoints is great. It's not 100% needed, but it certain helps a lot. When a person has say 100-200m, we don't want to waste money and this is where optimizing breakpoints come in handy. If you have billions of gold, then I guess you can just do w/e since you can slap money at it.
I find it amazing that people still sinking hardcore gold into toons now with ros being 3 months away which your gear will look low end to ros level 70 gear. Personally for those thats not buying ros if im correct diablo 3 with patch 2.0.1 will have the highest difficulty as master which means its going to be a full blown joke to farm on due to master/level 60 is no where near mp10. My opinion eh stay away from the ah not worth it
12/29/2013 09:11 AMPosted by lameboi
who cares if ppl build differently and arent perfectly optimal.. i clear mp10 ez with all my wack setups pretty damn fast and im sure others do too. "omg im not perfect" big deal none of you would be without ah either (not saying i didnt use ah btw just stating that this game is just a paragon grind until ros so who cares as long as ppl are having fun)

The top priority is to have fun and enjoy the game. But gearing optimally and using the best barb skills isn't a waste of time.

We get so many threads seeking advice. Sometimes the person really is poor, but often they've spent quite a bit of gold, and still can't play efficiently, because they made some poor gear choices. More importantly, the person isn't enjoying themselves.
Silver,

I did some regearing after reading your post.

Would appreciate it if you could just look me up and confirm if I got it right..

Thanks..
12/29/2013 06:04 PMPosted by Repuls0r
Silver,

I did some regearing after reading your post.

Would appreciate it if you could just look me up and confirm if I got it right..

Thanks..

Yes. 4x9 lets you hit 2.5/2.86 with a .23 EF. That part is good. But as I said in the OP, there are several reasons why I do not recommend mainhand EF builds.
Comments defending a help thread make a lot of sense, but I'd say most people don't understand how skills work together more so than break points. getting the most out of a few million probably helps a lot to speed things up the the paragon leveling, but that isn't the only reason to play or the only thing holding them back. The biggest problem is understanding the give and take when switching skills, passive and gear and applying them to a goal. This makes cookie cutter builds popular because someone can remove that part of the game for them. I personally enjoy playing oddball builds for fun and testing, but obviously some people get off on XP per hour and min/max. Neither is the wrong way to play, but ROS is going to encourage one over the other; which is great (for me) and bad for the people who just want to keep playing the same mindless build for another year.

As for now, make sure you are having fun.
MH Mace w/ OH EF - 2.5 w/ both hands
.23aps EF - 35%ias on gear (9/9/9/8)

This is my setup. Not a single IAS point wasted. Both weapons are at the same attack speed.
12/29/2013 09:47 AMPosted by henry

SIlver,

Thanks man!

Baller

BALLER, if you want to see another set up with MH sword, look at samuiotoko's he's had this setup i think since march or april. even has my old unity =(
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/samuiotoko-1231/hero/7228485

Henry,

I love his barb, you can tell he didnt need a lot of gold to do it either, which makes it very cool!
Anybody have info on RoS EF's? How are they different from live version? Does +AS still affect both hands?...
@silverfire
guess i broke most your rules except the 5x9as but if i make a change have to change to much im afraid.any advice would be appreciated!
12/31/2013 08:45 AMPosted by bogden
@silverfire
guess i broke most your rules except the 5x9as but if i make a change have to change to much im afraid.any advice would be appreciated!

Nah, wouldn't worry about it. You hit 2.86/2.5 perfectly.

Yeah it's technically better to move the movement speed to the boots and pick up the attack speed on the amulet..but other than that I don't see much wrong.