RoS initial hype dying quickly after last PTR

Aus/NZ General Discussion
01/20/2014 04:02 PMPosted by troyshaun
*please note that this is a Beta and not the final product.

This phrase is best applicable to any alpha or early beta versions where things can change quite wildly.

Right now, RoS is somewhere between mid beta and release candidate, where things can be more or less what you will see as the final product.

01/20/2014 04:02 PMPosted by troyshaun
People seem to forget these things these days, with Alpha and public Beta testing becoming more openly available, I would relax, wait to see what the opinions are on release, if people really di base all there opinions on what Alpha and Beta builds played like might as well quit playing games.

With only 2 months left before release, RoS beta in a terrible mess and Blizzard moving so slowly, it's hardly a time to relax thus you see beta testers becoming quite jittery.

If problems aren't addressed adequately during the beta, what hope is there for the release version?
01/20/2014 03:03 PMPosted by kazumakiryu
hmmm.....i was actually going to pre-order mine today but reading those PTR feedback so far, maybe not going to do it till they change it. The excitement of a chance of gear upgrade from the loot, Sharing loot find with friends or alts and seeing "Pillar of Beam", was what kept me playing D3. This is a sad day indeed... :(

I feel your pain Kazza, but please don't base your decision on the feedback at the moment. I am still purchasing ROS, and I know there will be a lot of fun to be had from the expansion.

Just realise that most of that fun will be had on the lower difficulties, because unless things change drastically and quickly, that's where most of us will be stuck.
*please note that this is a Beta and not the final product.

This phrase is best applicable to any alpha or early beta versions where things can change quite wildly.

what is a Beta for then? i should rephrase my post;

*Alpha the new Beta

what they should do is put it in bold writing on the game screen while people are playing, they say it time and time again, yet here we are where someone is saying "should i by the game?" and everyone else says "No not based on the Beta"

:facepalm:

At the same time though i understand what you are saying, i think people underestimate what Diablo 3 is, it's actually got a far more complex items and skill system than in the past and trying to make the entire game balanced has been a nightmare. Personally what i have seen during the PTR and Xbox version before that(what i have played), the game has improved in all areas, it seems now that they have most things nutted out and the game play is good. However, there are massive issues right now on the PTR that seem more like issues before the last patch where things weren't updated before release, which is table based stuff in the items and skills, i wouldn't consider that major.

Unlike a patch in a live version, smaller teams work on smaller tasks in the Beta where testing isn't done to the same level and the most important issues get the best work done, that makes issues like this possible where things are missed... where on a live system everyone would be working on the tasks and testing to the highest standard. So the issues, might have been amended just not released/updated when it was patched - seems like they are well into the fine tuning phase and someone plugged in the wrong code before the last update or something, that is why you shouldn't base anything off the Beta.

Don't get me wrong, i don't want to start a fight / debate or anything i'm just posting from the positive side, because 3 people decided that it was battlestations time and everyone should be worried, yet there is still 2 months of time to clean things up.
To be clear: I have already ordered my RoS CE - can't wait for it... just hope that they get it right
01/20/2014 08:06 PMPosted by NickBaldyM
To be clear: I have already ordered my RoS CE - can't wait for it... just hope that they get it right

Cool, I'm interested to hear how it goes.
Like I did with D3v, I didn't get the game until 1.03. So I avoided the kerfuffles with error 3007 etc.
01/20/2014 08:06 PMPosted by NickBaldyM

Yea me too, and i'm also a bit worried about the build in it's current state, despite my unbridled optimism likely stating otherwise.

IMO, probably the best option is to wait for the first or second update after release and things will be where they should be... IF you can wait that long.
yeah u are rite Sept, there is still hope :)
01/20/2014 07:37 PMPosted by troyshaun

Unlike a patch in a live version, smaller teams work on smaller tasks in the Beta where testing isn't done to the same level and the most important issues get the best work done, that makes issues like this possible where things are missed... where on a live system everyone would be working on the tasks and testing to the highest standard. So the issues, might have been amended just not released/updated when it was patched - seems like they are well into the fine tuning phase and someone plugged in the wrong code before the last update or something, that is why you shouldn't base anything off the Beta.

01/21/2014 05:07 PMPosted by Nevalistis
Got an update on this particular oddity, folks. =)

This was actually an unfortunate byproduct of moving the -Level Requirement affix from a Primary to a Secondary stat. We didn't want Level Requirement to be competing with Primary stats such as Strength/Dexterity/Intelligence/Vitality. However, during this process, the weight by which this affix rolls didn't get updated, and as the pool for Secondary affixes is smaller, this has resulted in it appearing much more frequently than it should.

This isn't intended, and we plan on addressing this in a future patch.

The Item break on the PTR with the Level Affix, is pretty much what i was saying, you could tell playing it that it was a simple table that wasn't updated. That is the difference between a Beta and a Live system.