Ray of Frost

Wizard
Does anyone know if this is going to be viable end game without having to use Sleet storm in RoS?
Well I have given Black ice a try as well in torment it certainly feels viable the other runes are underwhelming though .
Idk I use Numb and together with Familiar Icicle the chance to freeze is pretty good aka you can permafreeze whites. From a DPS standpoint it's not that good but if you also need to survive I think it's a viable option.
01/24/2014 05:26 PMPosted by LILSPARK
Well I have given Black ice a try as well in torment it certainly feels viable the other runes are underwhelming though .

Huh, and here I was the one feeling Black Ice was mediocre compared to how it was implemented in live. The last one, the one that gives 15% bonus cold damage is indispensable, how ever. Combined with a Legacy Frostburns, I'm sitting at 45% bonus cold damage. Makes Frozen Orb nice and painful.
Was just a feeling,I heard there is a legendary that lets it pierce so if that actually exist will change everything.

Personally I have high hopes for sleet storm seems Awesome so far the range increase is great.
01/25/2014 05:50 AMPosted by Atanatar
Huh, and here I was the one feeling Black Ice was mediocre compared to how it was implemented in live.

The damage of the patches was more than doubled. I haven't tried it yet though, because of the low monster density on the PTR. What about it feels underwhelming to you?
01/25/2014 06:31 AMPosted by mzy
01/25/2014 05:50 AMPosted by Atanatar
Huh, and here I was the one feeling Black Ice was mediocre compared to how it was implemented in live.

The damage of the patches was more than doubled. I haven't tried it yet though, because of the low monster density on the PTR. What about it feels underwhelming to you?

In live, ALL monsters killed that were chilled/frozen and RoF was active would spawn a patch. With it now properly spawning a patch for mobs killed only by RoF, I've instead gone to using Snow Blast/Frostburns/Frozen Orb to achieve the same crowd clearing efficiency.
Oh. :(
I use the one that buffs cold damage by 15% alongside scorch for AP regen + conflag proc and blizzard for more cold damage. Icicle too. All the runs have a little AOE now so they are much better. I didn't see enough black ice patches to make that rune worthwhile.
On live I can get through mp5 pretty well even though my gear is average but from what I can see ray of frost without sleep sleet is pretty rubbish past mp6.

I have always dislikes sleet storm but am glad it is a rune that actually changes the skill for those that like it, i can see how it is appealing.

Will have to wait to play ros in March but I would be pretty gutted if Ray or frost was once again a subpar skill as it just so cool.

I had thought maybe black ice plus black hole could work quite well? Suck in some trash mobs along with some elites drop a blizzard on top to freeze them and then stack black ice patches by killing the trash mobs.......the question is are there items or has Ray of Frost been buffed enough to make it strong enough?
Typing on I phone sorry about spelling auto correct arhhhh
I think you may have just come up with 2 new skills for RoS. :D
Gibs, that would actually be a very clever build.
01/25/2014 01:04 PMPosted by Atanatar
Gibs, that would actually be a very clever build.

Ok not using phone anymore haha

This is the build I really want to try out first but the question is how well will it perform compared to other top end builds? D3v you are either CM or Archon, the frost build I use is pretty lackluster compared to either of these.

I have high hopes for RoS but if it turns out there are only a few viable end game builds it will be very lame.
Black Ice might be viable enough if Buriza allows the beam to pierce.
I'm using Ray of Frost in beta, works really nicely. Pair it with something like 35% Blind from Sultan and you're hardly getting hit at all. Still trying to get some Frostburns...

Also, tons of gear has RoF damage bonus rolls, while items that don't sometimes have cold damage bonuses. You can really make it quite powerful - to the point where, unless Im using improved archon, its almost on par with normal archon for dps.
I must confess to having imported a GG skull grasp and SOJ for RoF, but I just find frozen orb so much faster for aoe clearing. I do love the increased 22 yard radius though!

Even arcane orb scorch (I have new Magefist) seems to be far better kill speed, and certainly better APoC return from the DoT.

I like running without generators and have 20 APoC, so pehaps RoF would be better with arcane dynamo and a generator...
Ray of Frost and Cannoneer synergize quite well. They both apply an equal sized AoE at the first thing they impact.

If you were to use the Cold Blood rune, Cannoneer, Cold Blooded passive and MW: Deflection along with 20 APoC and 50ish CC, you could run it as a primary attack. Your eDPS would be about x7.26 for you basic attack option. That's not great output in RoS but this is considerably better than any signature spell while offering decent LoH returns and better than usual shield generation. With stacking of +RoF damage and +% Cold damage you could get this over x10.

You'd still have 3 active skills slots and 2-3 passives (3@ L70) to build with around this core for higher damage or supplemental damage options. Black Hole Absolute Zero would be a natural choice to pull things into the AoE patch and buff damage further. An armor spell and a hard hitter like Frozen Orb would round out things nicely.

If you ran with a little Cost Reduction and were careful about your APS, you could run this with Black Ice or another more powerful rune instead.

This is just one variation of a RoF build. Other options might be:
-Arcane Dynamo boosting
-Sleet Storm synergizes well with EB & Slow Time. Frost Nova becomes more attractive as well if you're using CDR anyways for EB.
-Legendaries can change things up a lot here: Piercing RoF source. Frostburns offering freeze. Wand of WoH buffing EB cast times for the SS build. Rimeheart...

Ray of Frost isn't quite as flashy as some of the other skills but I think it does have some potential.

-dolynick
Icicle works quite well with RoF too, especially if you already have a +cold damage item. Obviously, you lose the AOE damage but gain some crowd control in return.

So many more skills are viable, it's great. Now, they just need to work on loot more...only 1 1/2 months left to tune affixes. Fix rares and crafting plox, Blizz!
Your eDPS would be about x7.26 for you basic attack option

Come on Doly....."about" 7.26. I'm gonna need better data than this! Lol, j/k.

01/29/2014 08:17 AMPosted by dolynick
If you ran with a little Cost Reduction and were careful about your APS, you could run this with Black Ice or another more powerful rune instead.

So, what is holding channeling spenders like this back? I've been, along with others, trying to get 2-handers back on the map...I've been pushing staff's of course. What would it take for a staff to help out with channeling spells? Bliz reviewed them, and said that they were happy where they are at...but, clearly nobody uses them. They are looking at them again.

Certainly a 1.0 AS weapon would be more desirable than 1.4, which I presume everyone is using. But, what would a staff have to look like for people to use one for RoF or Disentegrate (or arcane torrent or arcane orb...which are kind of channeling-like)??