Concern over Blizzard Advertsing

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 25 Next
02/05/2014 11:14 AMPosted by Sepulchura
02/05/2014 11:13 AMPosted by baggins
...i dont wanna link an article about a ref's head getting cut off after a soccer game but it happened :)

That's actually a very good point though, I guess I can understand the hysteria, with that perspective in mind, lol...
maybe i should change that smile to a :( because it is actually sad
02/05/2014 10:13 AMPosted by Nevalistis
The blog in question is a First Look blog, as DeadRu has mentioned. This means it was intended to provide an inside look at the current development state and functionality of the Mystic, at the time it was written.

We've always said that details can and likely will change over the course of development. This happens to be one of those times.

Originally, we did want to give players this opportunity. We didn't want to invalidate or take away player options. However, it became increasingly evident through testing that artifacts of the old itemization system could become overpowered through enchanting, especially so with certain items. This is why testing is so important, and it was a decision that took some time to make.

I'd also like to throw out there that some players seem to think this means you can't enchant level 1-60 items at all, when that isn't true. Items gained prior to the 2.0.1 patch hitting the live servers will be unable to be enchanted. Anything you gain after the patch launches and before the expansion, however, are eligible to be enchanted.

Bad decision, similar to the bad decision to ignore your PVP fans and not make a single post in over a year to PC PVP and possible future when it was promised before D3 vanilla was launched then again after it was promised at 1.1 patch.... I know things can "change" but lies to sell ur game and then not delivering anything even close to what was promised is bad for business.
The blog in question is a First Look blog, as DeadRu has mentioned. This means it was intended to provide an inside look at the current development state and functionality of the Mystic, at the time it was written.

We've always said that details can and likely will change over the course of development. This happens to be one of those times.

Originally, we did want to give players this opportunity. We didn't want to invalidate or take away player options. However, it became increasingly evident through testing that artifacts of the old itemization system could become overpowered through enchanting, especially so with certain items. This is why testing is so important, and it was a decision that took some time to make.

I'd also like to throw out there that some players seem to think this means you can't enchant level 1-60 items at all, when that isn't true. Items gained prior to the 2.0.1 patch hitting the live servers will be unable to be enchanted. Anything you gain after the patch launches and before the expansion, however, are eligible to be enchanted.

Is this decision final? Just wanted to know so I can get rid of some stuff I've been saving to enchant when RoS comes out. I need the inventory space.
02/05/2014 10:54 AMPosted by Sjippie
Obviously, a lot of players are now mad because they can't magically enhance their CURRENT items into OVERPOWERED level 70-like end-game gear.

Obviously you're purposely missing the point and pretending to be completely unaware of what people are actually upset about.

We have all been told that RoS and loot 2.0 is supposed to be leaps and bounds beyond where we are currently with D3 itemization, this newest revelation clearly shows that is simply not true.

We were told we would be able to enchant our current gear, nobody expected to be able to enchant a lvl 60 item with lvl 70 affixes, that is yet another one of Blizzard failures. We did however expect to be allowed to re-roll one affix on our lvl 60 to a differentgear since that is what we were told to expect.
Never mind that, despite what Blues are attempting to spin it as, we as consumers of Blizzards products have been purposely mislead in a pathetic attempt to increase rmah sales prior to it's forced shut-down.

At what point do people wake-up and realize that these decisions being recalled just prior to a release are not simple miscalculations that just happened to go unnoticed for months and months. Really? This is the quality of work that is accepted by a supposed AAA developer?

Pathetic and disgusting.
Not everyone is a credit card warrior. This decision undermines and diminishes all the hours of farming that it took to get our legacy gear. The point is to farm for gear, it always has been and that what we did. Now they're telling that it does count any more. R U kidding me!
02/05/2014 11:17 AMPosted by OneL
02/05/2014 11:10 AMPosted by Sepulchura
Yeah you have to buy the CD. I'm dating my age here when I say we used to dump more than that into crappy 8-bit video games at arcades when I was a kid, but it nevertheless remains true that today you always have to buy the CD. You don't have to pay a subscription. I didn't think I had to spell that out but obviously people seem to think that a few thousand hours of game play for $40 to $60 depending on where you live, that's unconscionable. Crap, some of the readers [edit: forum posters] screaming pay more than that just in coffee drinks in one week.

the cost is the cost. what is stupid is that you literally called it "a free game"

words have meanings. please do not misuse them.

Well, now I'm curious. Blank CDs are about a quarter these days. And Sepulchura says the game itself is free, so what are we spending the money on?
my third post ever in this forum but here is my post from before -

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11642944293?page=3#45

Basically I don't think it is a wise business decision to "punish" your loyal long time customers for their nearly 2 years of play time/effort/character/item building (to be correct May will be 2 years) and tell them basically "guys you CAN enchant your low level items - just after you THROW everything to TRASH that you've collected since the last 2 years and get some new items after the new patch for a few days/weeks(?)".

Now I don't see anyone not questioning the time they'll be spending in ROS - Please answer this question HONESTLY - "How many of you guys will be spending a lot of time for 2 years in ROS playing and collecting sets/items hoping you can upgrade/enchant them in the next expansion?"

Are you sure that you WON'T be asked to TRASH them again because the new lvl80-100etc items are WAY COOLER with the lower stat ranges/possibilities?

Before Blizzard continues with this decision and causes a very normal customer reaction in purchasing attitude for their next expansion, thus their financial bottom-line, why not think about a different solution - APPROACH?

Basically (if you didn't read my previous linked post) -

Let enchanting be at it is for lvl60 - instead upgrade lvl70 items so that they can roll with the same stat ranges and possibilities and even better ones!

If you don't have any time for implementing this now - just don't change anything now - tell everyone - that lvl70 items will be having upgraded stats in 1-3 months time with a small patch.

Would like to hear from a BLUE/Designer/Programmer about this seriously and hope to hear others ideas/comments all.
02/05/2014 11:31 AMPosted by MIAbrahms
And Sepulchura says the game itself is free, so what are we spending the money on?

You pay for the license attached to your bnet account.
THIS SOFTWARE IS LICENSED, NOT SOLD.
Source EULA http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/d3_eula.html

They don't care if you install it on 100 PCs for free because it takes a bnet account with an active license key to play the game from said PC.
Huh. Makes sense.
The blog in question is a First Look blog, as DeadRu has mentioned. This means it was intended to provide an inside look at the current development state and functionality of the Mystic, at the time it was written.We've always said that details can and likely will change over the course of development. This happens to be one of those times. Originally, we did want to give players this opportunity. We didn't want to invalidate or take away player options. However, it became increasingly evident through testing that artifacts of the old itemization system could become overpowered through enchanting, especially so with certain items. This is why testing is so important, and it was a decision that took some time to make.

Hmm, I'm wondering, maybe you can help me out here.

Did anyone we know of make money off of customers who purchased said "overpowered" items?

Anyone?
02/05/2014 10:20 AMPosted by OneL
Ah, so it's a case of "True at the time, untrue now"!

Don't you guys think that maybe, just maybe, this policy of yours to dish out information that can be retracted at any point is a little problematic?

As Nevalistis noted, the goal of each of the "first look" blogs we've published (there's been a few: the Mystic, Westmarch, Adventure Mode, and the Crusader) has been to provide players a first look at the development of certain features in Reaper of Souls. They're not wholesale previews; rather, they're a snapshot of what's being worked on. It's a way for us to include our community in the development process and feel involved -- or, at the very least, informed. Same can be said for all the posts we've made about the expansion, too.

For the Mystic "first look" blog specifically, it never actually says that Legacy items can be enchanted, even though Legacy items could be enchanted at the time the blog was made (since that was the intended design at the time). As a result, we got a lot of questions for clarification, and in the posts where we did state that Legacy items could be enchanted, we very likely prefaced the information with the caveat that the functionality is as of current design and/or was subject to change based on testing and additional development. We actually say this about most everything in Reaper of Souls -- to the point where some have lovingly mocked us for it -- as until something is shipped, it's subject to change. And even then, it's possible that we'll make adjustments to a feature that's gone live, if we feel it'll make the in-game experience better.

Getting back to your main point, though, the alternative would be not to communicate any information until development is 100% complete and those changes are already out the door. That's not a scenario we're super keen on, so it's highly unlikely that we'll shift our approach and not talk about future content. We want to share information with players during development cycles, and we want you to know what's coming. Not only does this give players the opportunity to provide feedback and be a part of the development process directly, but it also enables you to make informed decisions about the product itself. That last part is also very important to us.

I definitely understand where you're coming from, and why you're suggesting that we just never talk about upcoming content until is 100% certain. There are upside and downsides to everything, though. In this case, the downside of our approach is that when something is still in development, that thing is likely to go through multiple changes -- changes that may not always be favorable to you personally. The upside of our approach is you know we'll communicate those multiple changes to you, too. Our current approach allows for much more transparency, and (ideally) empowers you guys more than if we just didn't talk about anything at all.

PS - I think it's important to call out that, when it comes to content that's in development and not yet final, we don't always know that a change is needed until it's needed. Or that we're going to change something until we know that we're going to change something. By this I mean, when we share information with our players about something that's still in development (like how a feature works, for example), the information we share is always true when we communicate it. It's not like we're sharing stuff we already know is going to change before it ships. We just always provide that "subject to change" caveat, because we realize, with testing and feedback, changes may be required that we can't always anticipate.

*Edited some items for clarity! Also, typos. =/
02/05/2014 11:42 AMPosted by Lylirra
changes that may not always be favorable to you personally

I think the forum speaks for itself. The changes are not only not favorable to him personally, it's affecting a lot of people. I'm sure you've seen post after post of how people are taking this negatively. It's not a matter of just a statement but a statement has to come with a solution especially when it comes to paying customers.
02/05/2014 11:42 AMPosted by Lylirra
it's possible that we'll make adjustments to a feature that's gone live, if we feel it'll make the in-game experience better.
sorry to say but telling the players that all the good gear they found over the last 2 years will be to OP if they get to re roll it sounds like a fail on loot 2.0 ..... why not just have legacy items only be able to roll stats for it's required level. last i watched level 60 items only roll in the 200 stat area. that is not exactly OP with what they have now.
LOL when a CM makes a reference to a DeadRu post, you know they must be at a all time low.

Lost all respect and credibility with that one.
damage control seen it countless times over the last 2 years